From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jul 3 20:40 EDT 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 19:39:50 -0500
From: listserv@unl.edu
Subject: GET AGMODELS-L LOG9404

Archive AGMODELS-L: file log9404, part 1/1, size 98789 bytes:

Date: Tue, 29 Mar 1994 14:50:51 -0800 (PST)
From: Robert Flick <flick@unixg.ubc.ca>
Subject: references on fuzzy logic in ag. and forestry

Hi!

Due to the number of requests I've received requesting info. on fuzzy
logic for ag. and forestry modelling, I am forwarding below a list of the
articles that I've found to date. With respect to fuzzy set theory
itself, perhaps the best introduction to the subject is H.-J. Zimmermann's
book: Fuzzy Set Theory and its Applications, 2nd, revised edition,
published by Kluwer Academic Publishers, 1991.

Best regards,

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+
| Robert J. Flick, Agricultural Economics, UBC |
| e-mail: flick@unixg.ubc.ca |
| phone: 604-327-9854 |
| addr: 6454 Argyle St. Vancouver, B.C. V5P-3K3 |
+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+

Reference list:

Tang Huajun & E. Van Ranst, "Testing of Fuzzy Set Theory in Land
Suitability Assessment for Rainfed Grain Maize Production", Pedologie,
XLII-2, p129-147, 1992;

Tang Huajun et.al., "Land Suitability Classification Based on Fuzzy Set
Theory", Pedologie, XLI-3, p277-290, 1991;

Guillermo Mendoza & William Sprouse, "Forest Planning and Decision-Making
under Fuzzy Environments: An Overview and Illustrations", Forest Science,
Vol. 35, No.2, p481-502, 1989;

David Roberts, "Analysis of Forest Succession with Fuzzy Graph Theory",
Ecological Modelling, 45, p261-274, 1989;

Robert Bosserman & Rammohan Ragade, "Ecosystem Analysis using Fuzzy Set
Theory", Ecological Modelling, 16, p191-208, 1982;

Inakwu Odeh et.al., "Fuzzy-c-Means and Kriging for Mapping Soil as a
Continuous System", Soil Sci. Soc. Am. J., Vol.56, Nov-Dec., 1992;

P.A.Burrough, "Fuzzy Mathematical Methods for Soil Survey and Land
Evaluation", J. of Soil Sci., 40, p477-492, 1989;

D.L.Schmoldt, "An Influence Model for Qualitative Simulation of Ecological
Systems", Artificial Intelligence and Growth Models for Forest Management
Decisions", 1989;

James Pickens, John Hof, and E.T.Bartlett, "Fuzzy Goals, MAXIMIN
Programming, and Natural Resource Management", (? Proc. of the Int'l
Symposium on Systems Analysis and Management Decisions in Forestry,
Valdivia, Chile?);

Bruce Bare and Guillermo Mendoza, "Fuzzy Programming Approaches in
Handling Uncertainty and Imprecision in Timber Harvest Scheduling", (in
above?)

Bruce Bare and Guillermo Mendoza, "Timber Harvest Scheduling in a Fuzzy
Decision Environment", Can.J.For.Res., Vol.22, 1992;

Bruce Bare and G.Mendoza, "A Soft Optimization Approach to Forest Land
Management Planning", Can.J.For.Res., Vol.18, 1988;

A.B. McBratney and A.W. Moore, "Application of Fuzzy Sets to Climatic
Classification", Agricultural and Forest Meteorology, 35, p165-185,
1985;

William Roush, "Fuzzy Decision Analysis", Egg Industry, May, 1989;

Robert Flick, "Modelling Management of Agricultural Ecosystems using
Fuzzy Set Theory: Methodological Issues", paper presented at the joint
meetings of the Western Agricultural Economics Association and the
Canadian Agricultural Economics and Farm Management Society, 1993,
Edmonton, Alberta.

From BSANCHEZ@marvin.ag.uidaho.edu Thu Apr 3 00:27:51 1994
From: BSANCHEZ@marvin.ag.uidaho.edu
Date: 31 Mar 94 08:27:51 PST8PDT
Subject: Re: AGMODELS-L digest 71

Please unsubscribe, Thanks.

From jp@unlinfo.unl.edu Thu Apr 3 05:43:06 1994
From: jp@unlinfo.unl.edu (jerome pier)
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 1994 11:43:06 -0600 (CST)

> Please unsubscribe, Thanks.

Although it is within my power to unsubscribe you, I would
prefer that you do it yourself if possible. Just send email to
listserv with the following message:

unsub agmodels-l

and that should do it. If you have further problems please let me
know. Thanks for subscribing to the list.

Sincerely,

Jerome Pier
jp@unl.edu

From thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu Fri Apr 1 04:54:36 1994
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 1994 12:54:36 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject: Simulating soil N transformations

I use the IBSNAT soil N model in my potato model, SIMPOTATO, with
sometimes poor results. It seems that net release of nitrogen from
organic sources (humus and crop residue) is too slow in the spring
and early summer in dry, high latitude soils (40-60 N lat) with low
organic matter (.5-1.5%). Yacob Pachepsky suggested lowering the
range of temperature where mineralization is allowed which helped
some, but not near enough. Instead of starting at 5 C it now starts
at -8 C. Multiplying the mineralization rate overall seems to result
in too much N being released in late summer. I will also be adjusting
the proportions of residue in the very fast, fast, and slow pools in
the model.

Does anyone have any other thoughts on simulating N cycling between
mineral and organic forms?

Tom

Tom Hodges Cropping Systems Modeler ___ ___
USDA-ARS / \_/ \
Rt. 2, Box 2953-A Telephone: 509-786-2226 | |
Prosser, WA 99350 \______/^\/
USA potato tuber
thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
...photosynthesis makes the world go around... Mr. Potato Head

From jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov Tue Apr 1 12:56:00 1994
Date: 1 Apr 94 16:56:00 EDT
From: "JONATHAN HASKETT" <jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov>
Subject: RE: Simulating soil N transformations

I don't know the geneaology of SIMPOTATO, so I don't know which models
it is related to, but have you tried some of the other N cycling models
such as NCSWAP or NTRM?

Jonathan Haskett
jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov

From gcouger@olesun.agen.okstate.edu Wed Apr 2 18:13:29 1994
Date: Sun, 3 Apr 94 00:13:29 CST
From: gcouger@olesun.agen.okstate.edu (Gordon Couger)
Subject: Re: Modelling with fuzzy sets

Sure I'll be glad to to talk to any one about fuzzy stuff.
Gordon

Gordon Couger
Biosystems & Agricultural Engineering
Oklahoma State Universtiy Stillwater OK

From tmgidley@eos.ncsu.edu Tue Apr 5 17:19:03 1994
From: tmgidley@eos.ncsu.edu
Date: Tue, 05 Apr 94 21:19:03 EDT

I found an old paper that presents a more mechanistic approach to
modeling N mineralization. It describes mineralization based on the rate of
microbial growth (from Monod kinetics) and the C:N ratio of the
residue/waste/organic stuff. It's very general and is more intuitive than
many empirical equations I've seen. The reference is as follows:

Parnas, Hanna. 1975. Model for decomposition of organic material by
microorganisms. Soil Biology and Biochemistry. Vol. 7. pp. 161-169.

I hope that helps.

I also have a question for Jerome Piers. How do we change our email
address with the list server?

Tess Gidley

tmgidley@eos.ncsu.edu
and
tess@dem.ehnr.state.nc.us

From samodena@csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu Thu Apr 7 04:21:27 1994
From: samodena@csemail.cropsci.ncsu.edu (S. A. Modena)
Subject: CAMASE_NEWS (fwd)
Date: Thu, 7 Apr 94 8:21:27 EDT

Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 08:48:52 -0600
From: mckinion@dawgs.csrumsu.ars.ag.gov

Does anyone have any information on whether the Parnas (1975) N mineralization
model published in Soil Biology and Biochemistry, Vol. 7, pp. 161-169 has been validated or
has been applied? If you have more information, I would be very appreciative in recieving it.

James McKinion

From dsfisher@unity.ncsu.edu Mon Apr 11 08:12:49 1994
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 94 12:12:49 -0400
From: dsfisher@unity.ncsu.edu (Dwight S. Fisher)
Subject: Turf Production

Does anyone have a turfgrass production model? I had a faculty member who
is teaching an IPM course ask if there was a turf model available to use
with his turf students. It sounds as if he wants an empirical/extension
type model with some weather (and maybe pest) inputs.

Dwight

Dwight S. Fisher Internet: dwight_fisher@ncsu.edu
USDA-ARS
Box 7620
Crop Science Department
North Carolina State University
Raleigh, NC 27695
FAX 919 515 7959
Phone 919 515 7597

From jon@gpsrv1.gpsr.colostate.edu Mon Apr 11 09:53:56 1994
Date: Mon, 11 Apr 1994 15:53:56 MDT
From: "Jon D. Hanson, (303)490-8323" <jon@gpsrv1.gpsr.colostate.edu>
Subject: Re: Turf Production

Try the Texas A&M Department of Turf Management. They may have one.

+---------------------------------------++---------------------------------+
| Dr. Jon D. Hanson || Comm: (303)490-8323 |
| USDA, Agricultural Research Service || Fax: (303)490-8310 |
| Great Plains Systems Research || jon@gpsrv1.gpsr.colostate.edu |
| 301 S. Howes, P.O. Box E || FTS2000: a03jonhanson |
| Fort Collins, Colorado 80522 || |
+---------------------------------------++---------------------------------+

From SBZRB@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk Tue Apr 12 12:06:00 1994
From: "Rick Bradley - Env. Sci. " <SBZRB@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Tue, 12 Apr 1994 12:06:00 GMT
Subject: Belated Introduction

Dear Agmodels readers,

I have been a subscriber for some time now, but haven't got round to giving
a formal introduction. I am Rick Bradley, working at the University of
Nottingham in England. My degree studies were in plant physiology &
computing and, since then, I have been working for the British Overseas
Development Administration (ODA).

Through collaboration with many other workers on aid for developing
countries, I have produced (am still improving) a simulation model called
PARCH. It is designed to address the problems of user-friendliness
discussed in this forum over the previous weeks, and thus be more
accessible to the extension officer. However, it is designed with several
levels of complexity, so that breeders, agronomists or hydrologists, as
well as experimental planners can all answer specific questions with it.
PARCH contains a water balance and crop growth model, and is designed
to work optimally in semi-arid areas with low input agriculture (although
it does appear to scale up well to intensive agriculture situations). It
was initially written to improve sorghum husbandry, but is now being
extended to millet, maize, wheat and groundnut.

Part of my work over the next three years is to look at tree/crop
(agroforestry) and weed/crop competition. The remainder of my time will
be spent writing a nutrient sub-model. This is to include mineralization
of manure and other organic matter, as well as immobilisation,
volatalization etc. I have started a literature search and may have some
information which will help Tom Hodges: The whole of Fertilizer Research
March 1991 Vol 27, No. 2-3 is dedicated to nitrogen/crop models, and
contains several different perspectives on the problem. It's heavy going,
but worth a read if you have a spare week or so.

(I hope I haven't sent anyone to sleep with my intro yet!)

The PARCH model has not been written for any commercial gain, and is
purely designed as a tool to help developing agriculture. If anyone
is interested in more details about the model (full documentation and
an EXE version are available), please contact me. Also, I would like to
hear from anyone working in the areas I have covered above who is
interested in any form of collaboration on this aid project. ODA are
keen on this type of collaboration, and may be able to partially fund
useful work.

I look forward to hearing any replies, and apologise for not introducing
myself sooner.

Yours,

Rick Bradley
==== =======
| R.G.Bradley, Biometry, | Tel. 0602 516317 |
| Dept. of Environmental Science, | |
| University of Nottingham, | Fax. 0602 516261 |
| Sutton Bonington Campus, | |
| LEICS. LE12 5RD, UK | Email SBZRB@sbn2.nott.ac.uk |
+----------------------------P--A--R--C--H-------------------------+

From DEKKERS@pagv.agro.nl Wed Apr 13 11:23:00 1994
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 10:23 +0100 (MET)
From: DEKKERS@pagv.agro.nl
Subject: Re: AGMODELS-L digest 77

From SBZRB@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk Wed Apr 13 11:39:30 1994
From: "Rick Bradley - Env. Sci. " <SBZRB@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 11:39:30 GMT
Subject: Weed Competition in the PARCH model.

I received the following message today, so I thought I'd send the reply to
the group as a whole, as it will arouse more discussion that way:

>I work also work with weeds. I have been doing some work with weed
>competition and population dynamics. Please tell me more of your work
>with weeds.

> Milt McGiffen
> Dept. Botany and Plant Sciences
> Univ. California
> Riverside, CA

The weed element in PARCH (model described yesterday) is in its infancy at
present, but mainly because it is lacking validation data. I was using
PARCH to analyse some water harvesting experiments from Botswana (Southern
Africa) on which maize was growing, so I was modelling drainage,
evaporation, storage and transpiration. When the sums did not add up
properly, I studied the experimental records and found that weed cover of
up to 40% had been recorded as an afterthought in the margin. I built a
simple module which allowed weeds to grow, with a similar water use
efficiency to the crop, and found that they were probably using around 30%
of the water available to the crop (not a trivial amount, as the footnote
would have suggested). Lacking further data, I made the weed module into a
usable element with menu driven parameters, and have since awaited an
opportunity to improve it.

Although it will be quite easy for PARCH to model the actual growth (from
resource capture) of the weeds, that would require complex definitions of
the weed morphology, which was not justified by my sketchy data. Instead, I
have adopted the approach where the user defines two weed types; one pre-
planting (usually large and well established), and the other which
establishes after the tillage of planting, and directly competes with the
crop. Competition at present is only for water; it is assumed that the
maize or sorghum is taller than the weed - this is open to improvement.

In practice, this is controlled by 7 menu parameters:
Weed root uptake rate - related to weed density & morphology.
Fractional Light Interception pre-tillage - water use proportional to light.
Rooting Depth pre-tillage - defines zone of competition for water.
Fractional Light Interception after regrowth.
Rooting Depth after regrowth.
Start date of weed re-establishment.
Date of full re-establishment.

These parameters are simple, and force a weed to grow in the way observed
in the experiment. Only water availability alters the weed morphology at
present.

I would be interested to improve the competition element of the crop on the
weed (the weed can already severely reduce establishment and growth of the
crop in the model), if data were available. I feel that in the semi-arid
regions I am working with, light levels are usually adequate for all but
the densest canopies, and water (and nutrient) competition will prove to be
the most limiting factors.

I look forward to hearing from Milt and anyone else who is interested in
working on / discussing this topic.

Yours,

Rick Bradley
==== =======

From mckinion@dawgs.csrumsu.ars.ag.gov Wed Apr 13 02:30:38 1994
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 08:30:38 -0600
From: mckinion@dawgs.csrumsu.ars.ag.gov
Subject: RE: Simulation of soil N transformations

Does anyone know if the Parnas, 1975, Soil Biology and
Bichemistry, Vol. 7, pp. 161-169, model has been validated or
applied. We are currently using the Kafkafi, Haddas, and Bar-Yosef
model in the GOSSYM cotton model but are interested in more
mechanistic models of processes.

James McKinion

From milt@ucrac2.ucr.edu Wed Apr 13 06:03:25 1994
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 94 12:03:25 CST
From: "Milton E. McGiffen, Jr." <milt@ucrac2.ucr.edu>
Subject: RE: Weed Competition in the PARCH model.

In Message Wed, 13 Apr 1994 05:39:43 -0500,
"Rick Bradley - Env. Sci. " <SBZRB@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk> writes:

> [...]
>present.
>
>I would be interested to improve the competition element of the crop on the
>weed (the weed can already severely reduce establishment and growth of the
>crop in the model), if data were available. I feel that in the semi-arid
>regions I am working with, light levels are usually adequate for all but
>the densest canopies, and water (and nutrient) competition will prove to be
>the most limiting factors.
>
>I look forward to hearing from Milt and anyone else who is interested in
>working on / discussing this topic.
>
>Yours,
>
> Rick Bradley
> ==== =======
> +------------------------------------------------------------------+
> | R.G.Bradley, Biometry, | Tel. 0602 516317 |
> | Dept. of Environmental Science, | |
> | University of Nottingham, | Fax. 0602 516261 |

I think I can help with at least some of your interest in weed models. As
you probably know, the people from Wageningen in the Netherlands have
published a series of papers and books on weed models -- C.J.T. Spitters and
Martin Kropff especially. As to data, I have collected a lot of literature
on weed data similar to what I think you need. I also have my own
experimental data, which I continue to collect. If you could give me a
better idea of what you need -- say send over an example with real numbers
and parameters and maybe how you derived the parameters -- I'll take a look
and send you back what seems to fit.

We are currently doing an experiment that looks at competition for light in
several tomato varieties and velvetleaf and purslane. I may even be
able/willing to collect some data just for your purposes -- let me know
what you can use.

---
University of California
Riverside, CA 92521

From jp@unlinfo.unl.edu Wed Apr 13 12:01:22 1994
From: jp@unlinfo.unl.edu (jerome pier)
Subject: March Archive (fwd)
Date: Wed, 13 Apr 1994 17:01:22 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Subscribers,

For your information

> The March archive for your list is now available.

Jerome Pier
List Owner
jp@unl.edu

From FEIKEMA@eng3.eng.monash.edu.au Mon Apr 18 18:55:56 1994
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 1994 18:55:56 GMT+1100
From: "Paul Feikema, Rm 1/145" <FEIKEMA@eng3.eng.monash.edu.au>
Subject: Introduction

Hello,
My name is Paul and I am a postgraduate student at
Monash University, Victoria, Australia. At present I am
affiliated with the Cooperative Research Centre for
Catchment Hydrology, in the programme of catchment salt
and water balance. One of the main tasks in this
programme is to increase understanding and modelling
techniques for catchment salt and water processes,
particularly in relation to salinisation of land and streams.
My work centres on measurement and modelling of
water-solute processes underlying Eucalypt plantations
in an area of shallow water tables (about 2m from the land
surface). I am attempting to locate a suitable existing model
to use which should include the affect of saline water on
trees and density/solute dependent flow characteristics.

The particular plantation in question is 18 years of age and
2.5ha in size in an irrigation area in Northern Victoria (south
east Australia), however, the plantation itself is not irrigated.
The aim of the project is to describe and attempt to quantify
the water-solute processes occurring under the plantation.
The effect of density dependent flow should not be ignored.
Monitoring to date has indicated a local reduction in water
table levels under the plantation with increased salt
concentrations. Outside the plantation the piezometric
surface is lower than the water table yet under the
plantation, the piezometric surface is higher than the water
table, causing an upward gradient of waterand solute
movement under the plantation. The big question is will salt
concentrations under the plantation affect the growth, water
use and sustainability of the trees? If so, when? and is
sustainability possible in conjunction with
drainage/pumping techniques to remove and leach salts
present in the root zone?

My background is in agricultural science and am currently
completing a masters degree in hydrogeology. My interest
in salinisation of land and water developed while studying
agriculture and I have studied groundwater processes to
increase my knowledge in this area. The use of trees to
control salinity has been more widely adopted in dryland
areas in an attempt to reduce recharge to groundwater. In
irrigation areas, however, the shallow and often saline water
tables have precluded use of trees and control there has
relied on engineering options. My work is part of a project to
look into the feasibility of growing hardwood (Eucalypt)
plantations in irrigation areas in an attempt to lower
groundwater levels while maintaining growth and
subsequent hardwood production. Little work has been done
due to the notion that trees will not grow well in areas
of shallow and saline water tables. Any information on
relevant work done in this area would be appreciated. Hope
to hear from you regarding suitable models to use in this
area.

Paul

From mike@arrc.ncsu.edu Mon Apr 18 11:30:49 1994
Date: Mon, 18 Apr 94 15:30:49 EDT
From: mike@arrc.ncsu.edu (Mike Munster)

Tom,

Any success on your efforts to adjust the N mineralization
in your potato model?

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
| MIKE MUNSTER |
<> EMAP-Agroecosystems phone 919-515-3311 <>
| 1509 Varsity Dr. fax 919-515-3593 |
<> Raleigh, NC 27606 email mike_munster@ncsu.edu <>
| USA |
<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

From thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu Mon Apr 18 22:52:39 1994
Date: Tue, 19 Apr 1994 05:52:39 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: AGMODELS-L digest 83

Hi Mike, not much. I lowered the minimum temperature from 5 to -8
and increased the volatile portion of crop residue from 10% to 50%
but that didn't help enough. Tom

On Tue, 19 Apr 1994 mike@arrc.ncsu.edu (Mike Munster) wrote

From geo293@aberdeen.ac.uk Thu Apr 21 20:50:03 1994
From: geo293@aberdeen.ac.uk
Subject: looking for a cereals growth model
Date: Thu, 21 Apr 1994 19:50:03 +0100 (BST)

Hallo,
My name is Alex Gimona, and I have recentely subscribed to this list, so my
apologies if this message is misplaced.
I am a PhD student in Aberdeen University, working on relationships between
crops and birds.
I wonder if anyone knows of any models (and input data needed) simulating the growth of of winter and spring
cereals, in particular barley and wheat.
I am trying to work out in which stage of growth were the crops in areas where
bird field data were collected. I have daily data collected from nearby
meteorological stations.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot
A. Gimona (geo293@aberdeen.ac.uk)

From jp@unlinfo.unl.edu Fri Apr 22 04:56:08 1994
From: jp@unlinfo.unl.edu (jerome pier)
Subject: Administration drudgery...bad addresses
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 09:56:08 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Subscribers,

Well my mailbox is filling to the point where I can lo
longer ignore it with bounced messages. The following persons are
about to be unsubscribed from the list as thier addresses are
incorrect. Please let me know as soon as possible if there is
some way around this drastic measure. Otherwise, you are outta
there...

Wesley Rosenthal Rosenw@apsrusg.sth.dpi.qld.gov.au
Harbans Lal lal@splash.cor1.epa.gov
Larry Turner chico.aen.uky.edu@aen.uky.edu
Yimei Guo yguo@corpus-ctr.tamu.edu
Bruce Heimbigner bruce@heimbig.ansci.wsu.edu

I might suggest that you try unsubscribing and resubscribing from
the list and see if that helps. It may be an old wives tale but
it works sometimes.

Sincerely,

Jerome Pier
Agmodels-L List Owner
jp@unl.edu

From boltej@ccmail.orst.edu Fri Apr 22 05:29:45 1994
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 94 13:29:45 PST
From: boltej@ccmail.orst.edu
Subject: Re: looking for a cereals growth model

Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 08:24:31 -0500
Sender: agmodels-l@unl.edu
Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas
From: geo293@aberdeen.ac.uk
To: Multiple recipients of list <agmodels-l@unl.edu>

Hallo,
My name is Alex Gimona, and I have recentely subscribed to this list, so my
apologies if this message is misplaced.
I am a PhD student in Aberdeen University, working on relationships between
crops and birds.
I wonder if anyone knows of any models (and input data needed) simulating the
gro wth of of winter and spring
cereals, in particular barley and wheat.
I am trying to work out in which stage of growth were the crops in areas where
bird field data were collected. I have daily data collected from nearby
meteorological stations.
Any help would be much appreciated.
Thanks a lot
A. Gimona (geo293@aberdeen.ac.uk)

We have used the CERES Wheat model fairly extensively with reasonably good
results. It is a moderately detailed growth and phenology model. The phenology
model is completely temperature driven and can be (with some work) decoupled
from the growth model. A much simpler phenology model is PLANTTEMP, written by
the ARS group (Ron Rickman and Betty Klepper) at Pendleton, OR and available
from Oregon State University.

John Bolte

From hclyma@engecs1.unl.edu Fri Apr 22 10:55:12 1994
From: hclyma@engecs1.unl.edu (Howard Clyma)
Subject: Looking For Nitrate Leaching Models
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 1994 15:55:12 -0500 (CDT)

Hello,

My name is Howard Clyma. I am a Ph.D. graduate student working on
irrigation scheduling and nitrate leaching. I am looking for a good
nitrate leaching model under corn. A model that tries to account for
corn nitrogen use and soil microbial activity might be helpful instead.
I would appreciate any comments or suggestions.

Sincerely,

Howard
Howard Clyma |Office:(402)472-6340
Graduate Fellow |Home:(402)435-3494
Dept. of Biological Systems |Fax::(402)472-6338
Engineering |Internet:
154 L.W. Chase Hall, East Campus |hclyma@engec.unl.edu
University of Nebraska-Lincoln |Bitnet:
Lincoln, NE 68583-0726 |bsen057@unlvm.unl.edu

From thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu Sat Apr 23 01:05:43 1994
Date: Sat, 23 Apr 1994 08:05:43 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject: Nitrate leaching models

Hi Howard,
CERES-Maize, RZWQM, EPIC, NLEAP for starters all do some of what you are
asking for. I think the first two have more mechanistic corn growth
models. RZWQM is probably most demanding in terms of initial soils data
but has the most mechanistic soils processes and has had the least
testing. CERES-Maize is pretty easy to use. I haven't used EPIC or
NLEAP. Tom

Prosser, WA 99350 Fax: 509-786-4635 \______/^\/

From glyn_rimmington@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au Tue Apr 26 18:52:08 1994
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 08:52:08 +1000
From: Glyn Rimmington <glyn_rimmington@muwayf.unimelb.edu.au>
Subject: Re: AGMODELS-L digest 85

RE>AGMODELS-L digest 85
26/4/94 8:43
G'day Alex Gimona,
Cereal models.
Here are a few for wheat
AFRC - Wheat Model contact Bristol Uni
O'Leary's Wheat Model see Ag Systems 1985
- working on a new version
Stapper's model - contact CSIRO Canberra
Handoko's model - contact Uni. of Melb.
MUSIM-Wheat/N - contact Uni. of Melb.
CERES-Wheat - contact Prof. Ritchie Michigan SU
Sinclair and Amir - contact Florida SU, Gainesville
Loomis and Amthor - UC Davis - in progress
Van Keulen & Seligman - Wageningen
TAMW - Steve Maas
Also interesting MSc Theses - Macquarie Uni
Zvi Hochman
Jim Morgan
Literally hundreds of them out there.
Cheers,
Glyn

From CSCHULTH@canr1.cag.uconn.edu Tue Apr 26 07:10:57 1994
From: "Cristian Schulthess " <CSCHULTH@canr1.cag.uconn.edu>
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 12:10:57 EST
Subject: Leaching Models for the Classrooms

Howard Clyma wrote, "I am looking for a good nitrate leaching model
under corn,"
and Tom Hodges answered, "CERES-Maize, RZWQM, EPIC, NLEAP for starters
all do some of what you are asking for."

I wonder if any of these models can be used as a Soil Chemistry lab exercise.
The Division S-2 of the Soil Sci. Soc. of Am. (SSSA) has asked Tsutomu Ohno
to chair a committee that will put together a Laboratory Manual for a
graduate Soil Chemistry course. I think that some students would learn a
great deal from a simulated experiment; perhaps more than in a rushed,
time limited, real field data-collection experiment. Are there any
suggestions or thoughts on this subject out there? I'd like to give it a try
for my Fall 1994 undergraduate class (my graduate level Soil Chemistry class
does not have a lab section --- it's a matter of opinion, perhaps, but to me
most lab experiments should be restricted to undergraduate credits). Any
assistance is welcomed. For starters, how do I get these models?

Cristian Schulthess

Cristian P. Schulthess
Internet: CSchulth@canr1.cag.uconn.edu * *
Phone: 203-486-1943 Fax: 203-486-0682 * =============== ***
Address: Univ. of Connecticut * Soil & *****
Dept. of Plant Science, U-67 ***** Environmental * ___
W.B. Young Bldg., Room 118 *** Chemist * +. .+
__________Storrs, CT 06269___________________* ================ *__ ( )

From brianf21@aol.com Tue Apr 26 14:46:18 1994
From: brianf21@aol.com
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 18:46:18 EDT
Subject: unsub

I would like to unsubscribe. Thank you.

From thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu Tue Apr 26 12:23:15 1994
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 1994 19:23:15 -0700 (PDT)
From: Tom Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: AGMODELS-L digest 89

simpotato is available at ftp.tricity.wsu.edu in the directory
pub/simpotato or at least it was last time I checked. Tom Hodges

From ct16@cornell.edu Tue Apr 26 19:13:37 1994
Date: Tue, 26 Apr 94 23:13:37 EDT
From: "Ching-pin Tung" <ct16@cornell.edu>
Subject: Frost Damage?

I try to incorporate frost damage into crop modeling to predict grain
yield. Does anyone have the knowledge to quantify yield reduction due to
fall frost damage?

Thanks!

*---*
Chingpin Tung