From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jul 3 20:38 EDT 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 19:38:34 -0500
From: listserv@unl.edu
Subject: GET AGMODELS-L LOG9409

Archive AGMODELS-L: file log9409, part 1/1, size 20937 bytes:

Date: Tue, 6 Sep 1994 14:39:29 -0500
From: Dennis C Flanagan <flanagan@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject: Correction for NSERL home page address through Mosaic

TO: Agricultural Modeling Discussion List

FROM: Dennis Flanagan, USDA-ARS NSERL, West Lafayette, Indiana, USA

DATE: September 6, 1994

The address to link to the National Soil Erosion Research Laboratory's
Mosaic home page was incorrect in the message of September 2, 1994.
The correct URL address is:

http://purgatory.ecn.purdue.edu:20002/NSERL/nserl.html

From flanagan@ecn.purdue.edu Wed Sep 7 05:27:05 1994
Date: Wed, 7 Sep 1994 10:27:05 -0500
From: Dennis C Flanagan <flanagan@ecn.purdue.edu>
Subject: Re: flow chart tool wanted

On August 23, Michael Knorrenschild wrote:

> We are looking for a software tool that creates and edits flow charts....

I believe that one such tool set could be obtained from McCabe and Associates,
5501 Twin Knolls Road, Suite 111, Columbia, Maryland 21045. Phone number
is (800)638-6316 and FAX (410)995-1528. In Germany, their distributer is
listed as Instrumatic Electronic Systems GmbH (49-89-858-020).

We have been looking into purchasing similar types of tools.
I believe that some of their products will automatically provide
on-screen graphics of program information flow using your source code
- thus you would not have to enter anything by hand. If you are were
referring to more general system flow charting (not referring
to a computer model), I know that those products are available - I have seen
them used here. However, I can't recall the product name or company.

Dennis Flanagan Phone: (317)494-8673
USDA-ARS-NSERL FAX: (317)494-5948
1196 SOIL Building email: flanagan@ecn.purdue.edu
West Lafayette, IN 47907-1196

From DAVE@nsa.ecu.ox.ac.uk Fri Sep 9 19:07:14 1994
From: Dave Favis-Mortlock <DAVE@nsa.ecu.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 9 Sep 1994 19:07:14 GMT+1
Subject: Watershed/catchment scale erosion models

DETAILS WANTED: WATERSHED/CATCHMENT-SCALE SOIL EROSION MODELS

Introduction

GCTE (Global Change and Terrestrial Ecosystems -- a Core Project of the
International Geosphere-Biosphere Programme) is preparing to undertake an
evaluation of soil erosion models (both water and wind) as part of its Soil
Degradation Task. The Task Steering Committee consists of:

Dr Christian Valentin (Task Leader), ORSTOM, Niamey, Niger
Dr John Boardman, University of Oxford, UK
Prof. Jean Poesen, Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium
Dr Arlin Nicks, ARS-USDA, Durant, OK, USA
Dr Ed Skidmore, ARS-USDA, Manhattan, KS, USA

For the evaluation, model developers will be asked to run their models with a
series of common datasets. Further announcements will be made concerning this
exercise.

Watershed/catchment-scale models

Field-scale models for water erosion have been available for some time and are
well documented. Their watershed/catchment-scale equivalents may however be
considerably more complex (requiring, for example, integration with a GIS) and
therefore of relatively recent development. If you are a developer or user of
such a model, we would like to hear from you; please contact the address
below.

Regards

David Favis-Mortlock

Address: Environmental Change Unit
University of Oxford
1a Mansfield Road
Oxford OX1 3TB
UK
e-mail : david.favismortlock@environmental-change.oxford.ac.uk
fax : (+44) (0)865 281181
phone : (+44) (0)865 281180

From gabriele@bcgn.grignon.inra.fr Mon Sep 12 11:43:04 1994
Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 09:43:04 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Benoit Gabrielle <gabriele@bcgn.grignon.inra.fr>

M. Knorrenschild recently asked about software tools for editing flow charts.
We may recommend a product called "ABC Flow Charter" that should meet such
needs. It is made by Micrografx Inc., which must be an US company,
although I don't know its adress there. However it should be easily
available, and I can give you the adress of the french distributor, should
it be of any help.

Benoit Gabrielle

From DAVE@nsa.ecu.ox.ac.uk Mon Sep 12 10:19:20 1994

Date: Mon, 12 Sep 1994 16:39:07 +0200 (DFT)
From: Kovacs Balazs <hgkov@gold.uni-miskolc.hu>

On the subject flow charts...

If anybody wants to buy a quite simple flow chart designer with the
abilities of a good technical drawer I would suggest him the RFFlow for
Windows.

In comparison with the ABC Flowcharter - mentioned today in an
other mail - RFFLOW is simpler (and I think cheaper) but it is only a
drawing tool with several shape of boxes, arrows, electrical and computer
technical objects. ABC has some features on database processing, clicking
an object You can focus on the subprocedures wich are the components of
the object choosed. It means the existance of a relationship between the
charted procedures.

RFFlow has no such ability, You can draw any type of flow charts and they
can be exported via .WMF, bitmap format or clipboard to any other
Windows applications.

The name of the product:
RFFLOW for Windows
Programmed by Roger F. Faaborg
RFF Electronics
Phone: 303-663-5767

Unfortunatly I do not know any further details on that software. It can
be bought in several shops, in Hungary as well.

Balazs Kovacs
University of Miskolc
Hungary

From jamesg@salt.ind.dpi.qld.gov.au Fri Sep 23 21:16:13 1994
Date: Fri, 23 Sep 1994 11:16:13 +1000
From: jamesg@salt.ind.dpi.qld.gov.au (James Gourley)

get log9408

From jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov Tue Sep 27 19:11:00 1994
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 94 18:11:00 +0100
From: "Jonathan Haskett" <jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov>
Subject: Agronomist Position to be filled internally

Re: the position of Plant Pathologist/Agronomist/Soil Scientist in the
Systems Research Laboratory, Natural Resources Institute Beltsville, MD.

Because of recent organizational changes anticipated within ARS over the
next few months, this posisiton has been targeted to be filled internally
if a qualified candidate is available. Under the circumstances, the
position will not be filled by outside candidates at this time.

From scp5@psu.edu Wed Sep 28 07:11:21 1994
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 1994 11:11:21 -0400
From: scp5@psu.edu (Shane Parson)
Subject: Hello to list members

Hello

My name is Shane Parson and I am a graduate student in the Agricultural and
Biological Engineering Department at Penn State. I am currently starting a
masters thesis dealing with the impact uncertainty of parameters has on
decisions made from nonpoint source pollution which are linked to a GIS.
Right know it looks like I am going to be working with a link between the
GRASS GIS and AGNPS. I would be interested in any information anyone might
have on models that already include uncertainty (EPA's QUAL2EU stream model
is the only one I have found so far) or on good sources of information for
distributions of various parameters (especially for different Best
Management Practices). I am hoping to use Monte Carlo simulation on the
inputs to come up with output distributions which then used to evaluate the
statistical differences in alternative BMP's.

I have briefly worked with ANSWERS, SWAT, and SWRB.

I have done Monte Carlo simulations with the DOS version of AGNPS.

I have also worked with GLEAMS, writing code to alter input to reflect
rainfall affected pesticide application. In addition I have worked on code
that would combine GLEAMS with ARC/CAD, a GIS program that works under an
AUTOCAD format.

Shane Parson

Business address: Home address:
Department of Agricultural 840 Cricklewood Dr. #211
and Biological Engineering State College, PA 16803
Penn State University phone : (814) 234-4612
110 Agricultural Engineering Bldg.
University Park,PA 16802
e-mail: scp5@psu.edu
phone: (814) 863-8233

From DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU Wed Sep 28 14:23:10 1994
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 94 18:23:10 EDT
From: DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET>
Subject: Re: Hello to list members

On Wed, 28 Sep 1994 10:54:16 -0500 Shane Parson said:
>Hello

...(snip)
>GRASS GIS and AGNPS. I would be interested in any information anyone might
>have on models that already include uncertainty (EPA's QUAL2EU stream model

Interesting background! I believe PRZM now has a MonteCaro module and since
it has a surface water component now it might be of interest...also try
Don Fontaine, Pat Havens and Dennis Laskowski at DowElanco who have done
a lort of work with the variability in GLEAMS...Pat's E-mail is
phavens@dowelanco.com
Don Wauchope

R. DON WAUCHOPE, RESEARCH CHEMIST DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU
USDA AGRICULTURAL RESEARCH SERVICE (912) 386-3892 FAX 386-7225
POB 748, U. GA COASTAL PLAIN EXPERIMENT STATION
TIFTON, GA 31793

Prepared by Steve Modena AB4EL modena@SunSITE.unc.edu