From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sun Aug 20 08:56 EDT 1995
Date: Sun, 20 Aug 1995 07:48:24 -0500
From: listserv@unl.edu
Subject: GET AGMODELS-L LOG9507

Archive AGMODELS-L: file log9507, part 1/1, size 119809 bytes:

Date: Mon, 3 Jul 95 11:03 BST
From: LXAZBURTONR@CLUSTER.NORTH-LONDON.AC.UK

Unsubscribe

From SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk Mon Jul 3 14:51:28 1995
From: MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL <SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 14:51:28 GMT
Subject: Weather Data Generating

Dear Professor Shu Geng
I would be so thankfull if you could do this favor to me and send me
a copy of SIMMETEO, and please let me know how to run and extarct
data from that.
Thank you in adavnce for your kind and cooperation.
Mohammad Bannayan
E-Mail: sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk
Postal address:
University of nottingham
Dept. of PHES.
Sutton Bonington
Leics. LE12 5DF
England

From Kenneth=Scheeringa%dept%agronomy@dept.agry.purdue.edu Mon Jul 3 04:19:54 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 95 09:19:54 EST
From: Kenneth=Scheeringa%dept%agronomy@dept.agry.purdue.edu
Subject: Weather simulators

Shu Geng <sgeng@ucdavis.edu> Wrote:

| Yes there are more. We developed a SIMMETEO which only
| require monthly
| means but will produce daily values. If interested, contact
| me I will send
| you a copy.
|
| Shu Geng
| Professor
| University of California - Davis
|

| On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com wrote:
|

| > Here are the weather simulators that I use to
| > generate daily precipitation, minimum daily
| > temperature, and max daily temp for multiple years:
| >
| > WGEN - uses Richardson parameters, WGENPAR generates
| > parameters for any weather station; USDA 1983, FORTRAN,
| output formatted
| > for PRZM pesticide transport model
| >
| > CLIMATE - updated WGEN with mouse driven interface to
| > select US weather station to simulate, all parameters are
| stored in the
| > system; USDA 1991, BASIC on PC compatibles, output
| formatted for PRZM but
| > w/o dates
| >
| > CLIGEN - very similar to WGEN but parameters are stored
| in system, over
| > 1000 stations in all 50 states, menu driven; USDA 1989,
| FORTRAN, output
| > formatted for GLEAMS pesticide transport model
| >
| > SIMWTH - based on WGEN, modified for southern hemisphere;
| CABO,
| > Wageningen, Netherlands (no longer supported there),
| FORTRAN
| >
| > I am sure there are more out there...
| >
| > Karl Schnelle
| > kschnelle@dowelanco.com

I am a climatologist, not an ag modeler, so I am
wondering why anyone would generate simulated daily
weather values?

The National Climatic Data Center in Asheville NC
can provide *real* observed daily weather data for
a few thousand official cooperative weather stations
throughout the US. Data back to at least 1948 has
been digitized for all such stations. Data in
digital form for several midwestern states back
to 1896 will be available soon.

NCDC also has an impressive archive of daily
international data.

Comments?

Ken Scheeringa
State Climatologist for Indiana
kscheeringa@dept.agry.purdue.edu

From jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov Mon Jul 3 07:29:20 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 11:29:20 -0400 (EDT)
From: jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Re: Weather simulators

One reason to use weather generators is in studying global change.
General Circulation Models do not produce daily values so it is
necessary to generate these values in order to use these results
in crop simulation models.

Cheers,
Jonathan Haskett

From david.favismortlock@ecu.ox.ac.uk Mon Jul 3 16:37:12 1995
From: David Favis-Mortlock <david.favismortlock@ecu.ox.ac.uk>
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 16:37:12 GMT+1

> I am a climatologist, not an ag modeler, so I am
> wondering why anyone would generate simulated daily
> weather values?

I'm not an ag. modeller either! But simulated weather is very
useful for climate change studies, for one; it is guaranteed free
from trend (which may not be true of real sequences); and it is also
handy for supplementing measured data in cases of missing values or
short records. Further, you can easily make up replicate sequences
with the same statistical properties.

Unfortunately though, most easy-to-use weather generators, often
based on simple Markov sequences, do not well capture the extremes
values of real data. And as an erosion modeller (which IS what I
am!), that is a major problem. See:

The use of synthetic weather for soil erosion modelling
(Favis-Mortlock, D.T.). In, McGregor, D.F.M. and Thompson, D.A.
(eds). Geomorphology and Land Management in a Changing Environment,
Wiley, Chichester, 265-282.

Anyone out there also interested in generating extremes?

Regards

Dr David Favis-Mortlock

Address: Environmental Change Unit
University of Oxford
1a Mansfield Road
Oxford OX1 3TB
UK
e-mail : david.favismortlock@ecu.ox.ac.uk
fax : (+44) (0)1865 281181
phone : (+44) (0)1865 281180

From dm00hp@csl.gov.uk Mon Jul 3 18:29:30 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 17:29:30 +0100
From: Derek Morgan <dm00hp@csl.gov.uk>

> From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jul 3 15:41:53 1995
> Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 09:27:39 -0500
> Originator: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> Sender: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas
> From: Kenneth=Scheeringa%dept%agronomy@dept.agry.purdue.edu
> To: Multiple recipients of list <agmodels-l@unl.edu>
> Subject: Weather simulators
>
> Shu Geng <sgeng@ucdavis.edu> Wrote:
> |

> | Yes there are more. We developed a SIMMETEO which only
> | require monthly
> | means but will produce daily values. If interested, contact
> | me I will send
> | you a copy.
> |
> | Shu Geng
> | Professor
> | University of California - Davis
> |

> | On Fri, 30 Jun 1995 KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com wrote:
> |

> | > Here are the weather simulators that I use to
> | > generate daily precipitation, minimum daily
> | > temperature, and max daily temp for multiple years:
> | >
> | > WGEN - uses Richardson parameters, WGENPAR generates
> | > parameters for any weather station; USDA 1983, FORTRAN,
> | output formatted
> | > for PRZM pesticide transport model
> | >
> | > CLIMATE - updated WGEN with mouse driven interface to
> | > select US weather station to simulate, all parameters are
> | stored in the
> | > system; USDA 1991, BASIC on PC compatibles, output
> | formatted for PRZM but
> | > w/o dates
> | >
> | > CLIGEN - very similar to WGEN but parameters are stored
> | in system, over
> | > 1000 stations in all 50 states, menu driven; USDA 1989,
> | FORTRAN, output
> | > formatted for GLEAMS pesticide transport model
> | >
> | > SIMWTH - based on WGEN, modified for southern hemisphere;
> | CABO,
> | > Wageningen, Netherlands (no longer supported there),
> | FORTRAN
> | >
> | > I am sure there are more out there...
> | >
> | > Karl Schnelle
> | > kschnelle@dowelanco.com
> | >

> I am a climatologist, not an ag modeler, so I am
> wondering why anyone would generate simulated daily
> weather values?
>
> The National Climatic Data Center in Asheville NC
> can provide *real* observed daily weather data for
> a few thousand official cooperative weather stations
> throughout the US. Data back to at least 1948 has
> been digitized for all such stations. Data in
> digital form for several midwestern states back
> to 1896 will be available soon.
>
> NCDC also has an impressive archive of daily
> international data.
>
> Comments?
>
> Ken Scheeringa
> State Climatologist for Indiana
> kscheeringa@dept.agry.purdue.edu

Ken

One reason why ag-modellers need simulated daily weather variables is that they want to forecast future events rather than describe past events (which you do using historical data). For example as an insect modeller I am interested in forecasting the phen

I am very interested in weather generators (reasons described above) and I look forward to any responses on this subject, especially from modellers who have used these techniques under UK conditions.

Derek
e-mail - d.morgan@csl.gov.uk
telephone - 01582 715241
fax - 01582 762178

From JamiesonP@crop.cri.nz Tue Jul 4 22:00:00 1995
From: "Pete Jamieson" <JamiesonP@crop.cri.nz>
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 1995 09:00:00 +1300
Subject: Weather simulators -Reply

I am a climatologist, not an ag modeler, so I am
wondering why anyone would generate simulated daily
weather values?

The National Climatic Data Center in Asheville NC
can provide *real* observed daily weather data for
a few thousand official cooperative weather stations
throughout the US. Data back to at least 1948 has
been digitized for all such stations. Data in
digital form for several midwestern states back
to 1896 will be available soon.

NCDC also has an impressive archive of daily
international data.

Comments?

Ken Scheeringa
State Climatologist for Indiana
kscheeringa@dept.agry.purdue.edu

Real weather is finer if that is all you want, but if you need to assess
impacts of climate change scenarios, weather generators make it
possible to include mean shifts and shifts in variability. LARS-WG, eg,
allows the simulation of daily weather with both mean shift and
variability changes, not a simple task with "real" weather. The
generated weather can then be used for crop simulations.

Real weather data is required by weather generators for the
parameterisation of sites, so it is important that it is available.

Does this answer your question?

Peter D Jamieson
NZ Inst. for Crop & Food Research Ltd
Private Bag 4704
Christchurch, New Zealand

jamiesonp@crop.cri.nz

From G.LEWIS@dundee.ac.uk Tue Jul 4 12:17:39 1995
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 11:17:39 +0100 (BST)
From: Graham Lewis <G.LEWIS@dundee.ac.uk>
Subject: Re: Weather simulators -Reply

Is there a program available that will allow me to generate weather data
for the UK and tweak that data in various ways?
Graham Lewis

From giupponi@ipdunidx.unipd.it Tue Jul 4 14:25:16 1995
Date: Tue, 04 Jul 1995 12:25:16 +0200
From: giupponi@ipdunidx.unipd.it (Carlo Giupponi)
Subject: Re: SUB AGMODELS-L CARLO GIUPPONI

Hello everybody,
I just added my address at this mailing list and, as suggested by the
administrator I am sending this message to present myself.

My name is Carlo Giupponi and I am a faculty member (researcher and
temporary professor) at the University of Padova (Italy), Dipartimento
Agronomia Ambientale e Produzioni Vegetali" (Department of Agronomy Crop
Production and the Environment=94.

My research activity focuses on the relationships between agriculture and
environment. Specific interests include: sustainable agriculture, low input
agricultural systems, non-point source pollution, simulation modelling, land
surveying and mapping, geographical information systems and remote sensing.

My 'burning' issue is presently the processing of the outputs of non-point
pollution models (or field experiments) to calculate comparative indicators
(e.g. Eutrophication Risk Index) to be used in multi-criteria decision
support systems toghether with other technical and economic indicators.=20
I would be very glad if any of you have suggestions (references,
conferences, research projects, etc.) about this specific topic.

Thank you=20
Dr Carlo Giupponi
Dipartimento di Agronomia - Universit=E0 di Padova
I-35131 Padova Italy
Tel. ++39-49-8071348 Fax ++39-49-8070850

From eric.audsley@bbsrc.ac.uk Wed Jul 5 10:56:32 1995
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 09:56:32 +0100
From: AUDSLEY <eric.audsley@bbsrc.ac.uk>

>One reason why ag-modellers need simulated daily weather variables is that
they want to forecast future events rather than describe past events (which you
do using historical data). For example as an insect modeller I am interested in
forecasting the phenology of a specific pest lifestage so that I can time an
insecticide application for maximum impact. I can use historical (observed)
weather data to 'describe' up to the current day but I need simulated data
forecast actions for the coming days/weeks/months.

>I am very interested in weather generators (reasons described above) and I
look forward to any responses on this subject, especially from modellers who
have used these techniques under UK conditions.

For forecasting under current weather conditions not climate change, you don't
necessarily need weaher generators. You just need a method of forecasting the
probability of future events at any point in time. I developed a method for
predicting the probability of net evaporation (evaporation less rainfall) which
does not 'generate' rainfall (J Ag Engineering Res 1984 141-149), but was
useful for predicting soil moisture in a dynamic programme for calculating
optimum strategies for cultivation and sowing.

However where we are just using a simulation, the best way to obtain possible
forecasts of future weather is to use ten, twenty, thirty, etc years of past
weather data from the current date on. They give the full range of possible
scenarios at the same time as taking into account natural factors such as the
change in day length, hills, proximity to sea, etc. The Met Office has large
quantities for a large number of locations.

-------------------------
Eric Audsley
Silsoe Research Institute
Wrest Park
Silsoe
Beds MK45 4HS
UK

Tel: +44 1525 860000
Fax: +44 1525 860156
Email: Eric.Audsley@BBSRC.AC.UK (Internet)
G=ERIC;S=AUDSLEY;O=BBSRC;P=UK.AC;C=GB (X-400)

From SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk Wed Jul 5 09:33:02 1995
From: MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL <SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 09:33:02 GMT
Subject: Weather simulation

Dear peter
The output of weather simulators are columns of data so let me know
how you shift the mean and change the variability? Do you change the
standard error ( Mean+- Sd) to have and change variability?
Mohammad Bannayan
sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk

From SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk Wed Jul 5 09:38:16 1995
From: MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL <SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 09:38:16 GMT

has anyone used Time Series to predict future weather data weather
data from the past history?
Mohammad bannayan
sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk

From dm00hp@csl.gov.uk Wed Jul 5 11:30:12 1995
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 10:30:12 +0100
From: Derek Morgan <dm00hp@csl.gov.uk>
Subject: Re: Weather simulation

> From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Jul 5 10:03:56 1995
> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 03:51:12 -0500
> Originator: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> Sender: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas
> From: MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL <SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <agmodels-l@unl.edu>
> Subject: Weather simulation
>
> has anyone used Time Series to predict future weather data weather
> data from the past history?
> Mohammad bannayan
> sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk

Mohammad

As a start you might want to look at the book by France & Thornley 'Mathematical Models in Agriculture' (ISBN 0-40810868-1) which has a chapter on modelling weather variables including using time series.

Derek

From SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk Wed Jul 5 10:58:00 1995
From: MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL <SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 10:58:00 GMT
Subject: Time Series

I am afraid that the name of the book you(Derek) wrote was cut,so
write it again please.
Mohammad Bannayan
sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk

From ssnedaker@rsmas.miami.edu Wed Jul 5 01:24:54 1995
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 06:24:54 -0500
From: ssnedaker@rsmas.miami.edu (Sam Snedaker)

Depending on the specific model and simulation objectives, I would suggest
that instead of mathematically or stochastically simulating your
location-specific weather patterns, that you use real records from other
locations. For example, if the objective is to simulate a [crop] response
to a mean annual T 2 degrees higher and a mean annual PPT 300 mm lower,
then use station records from a location that actually has that specific
pattern. For better comparability, both locations should have the same
dominant type of PPT, e.g., orographic, frontal, convectional, etc.
Because climatic variables are tightly lcoupled, especially over short time
periods, the climate records have healthy measures of internal consistency
and reality. If in fact anyone is already using this approach, I would
like to know.

Samuel Snedaker
<ssnedaker@rsmas.miami.edu>

From dm00hp@csl.gov.uk Wed Jul 5 12:27:07 1995
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 11:27:07 +0100
From: Derek Morgan <dm00hp@csl.gov.uk>

> From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Jul 5 10:45:22 1995
> Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 04:31:23 -0500
> Originator: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> Sender: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas
> From: Derek Morgan <dm00hp@csl.gov.uk>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <agmodels-l@unl.edu>
> Subject: Re: Weather simulation
>

> > From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Jul 5 10:03:56 1995
> > Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 03:51:12 -0500
> > Originator: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> > Sender: agmodels-l@unl.edu
> > Version: 5.5 -- Copyright (c) 1991/92, Anastasios Kotsikonas
> > From: MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL <SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
> > To: Multiple recipients of list <agmodels-l@unl.edu>
> > Subject: Weather simulation
> >
> > has anyone used Time Series to predict future weather data weather
> > data from the past history?
> > Mohammad bannayan
> > sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk
> >
> Mohammad
>
> As a start you might want to look at the book by
> France & Thornley 'Mathematical Models in Agriculture'
> (ISBN 0-40810868-1) which has a chapter on modelling
> weather variables including using time series.
>

> Derek

I hope it works this time.

Derek

e-mail - d.morgan@csl.gov.uk
telephone - 01582 715241
fax - 01582 762178

From KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com Wed Jul 5 03:52:10 1995
Date: Wed, 5 Jul 1995 8:52:10 -0500 (EST)
From: KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com
Subject: Re: Weather simulators (WHY?)

No one has mentioned Monte Carlo simulations yet.
Typically, actual daily weather is available for
certain climate stations for 10,20 maybe 30 years.
In Monte Carlo modeling, 100's or 1000's of model
runs (iterations) may be run. Based on historical
records, the weather generator can produce 1000's
of years of realistic weather.

At least for some sites in the US, the WGEN simulator
produces the maximum daily precipitation (from historical
records) after 300 years are generated. So we use 300+ years
of weather to run our Monte Carlo runoff and leaching models.

Karl Schnelle
kschnelle@dowelanco.com

From GEORGE4@george1.agric.za Tue Jul 4 18:17:29 1995
From: "Daan Louw" <GEORGE4@george1.agric.za>
Date: Tue, 4 Jul 1995 16:17:29 +0200
Subject: WHOLE FARM PLANNING WITH DYNAMIC LINEAR PROGRAMMING

I AM A AGRICULTURAL ECONOMIST AT THE SOUTHERN CAPE AGRICULTURAL
DEVELOPEMENT CENTRE IN SOUTH AFRICA. I DEVELOPED A DYNAMIC LINEAR
PROGRAMMING MODEL FOR WHOLE FARM PLANNING AND TO EVALUATE THE
INFLUANCE OF AGRICULTURAL POLICY ON A MICRO LEVEL. THE MODEL CAN
BE USED FOR ANY AREA WHERE THE THE MAIN ENTERPRISES IS GRAIN,
LIVESTOCK AND PASTURES. THE MODEL CAN ACCOMADATE 35 CROP ROTATION
ACTIVITYS AND 10 LIVESTOCK ENTERPRIZES AND THE PLANNING PERIOD IS SIX
YEARS. THE MODEL IS DEVIDED INTO THREE MAIN COMPONETS:

* EVALUATION OF THE PRESENT SITUATION AND A SIX YEAR YEARLY CASH FLOW
* CALCULATION OF ALTERNATIVE OPTIMAL SIX YEAR PLANS
* PRESENTATION OF THE ANSWER WITH GRAHPS AND TABLES
* EVALUATION OF THE ALTERNATIVES PLANS TO DECIDE ON THE BEST
ALTERNATIVE

THE MINNIMUM COMPUTER REQUIREMENT IS A 486 COMPUTER WITH 8 MEG RAM, A
MATHEMATICAL COPROSESSOR AND 240 MEG HARD DISK. THE MODEL IS VERY
USERFRIENDLY IN THE SENSE THAT THE USER DONT NEED TO BE A EXPERT ON
DLP TO OPERATE THE SYSTEM. THE BUDGET INFORMATION WITH TECHNICAL
COFFICIENTS IS IN A QUTRO PRO SPREADSHEET AND COUPLED TO THE LP
MATRICS. AT PRESENT THE MODEL CONSISTS OF 14800 ACTIVITYS AND 4600
RESOURCE RESTRICTIONS. MOST OF THE ACTIVITYS IS HOWEVER TRANSFER
ACTIVITYS. THE PROGRAM IS MENU DRIVEN.

DURING 1996 I INTEND TO GO ON A STUDY TOUR OF THE USA AND EUROPE TO
SEE HOW OTHER PEOPLE APPROACH WHOLE FARM PLANNING. IF YOU SHARE THE
SAME INTERESTS I WILL APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WILL CONTACT ME.

DAAN LOUW
PHONE: 0441 742047 (WORK) ADD THE COUNTRY AND AREA CODES
O441 715170 (HOME)
FAX: 0441 747730
EMAIL: GEORGE4@GEORGE1.AGRIC.ZA

ADRESS: SOUTHERN CAPE AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPEMENT CENTRE
P.O BOX 249
GEORGE
6530
SOUTH AFRICA

From JamiesonP@crop.cri.nz Thu Jul 6 22:35:00 1995
From: "Pete Jamieson" <JamiesonP@crop.cri.nz>
Date: Thu, 06 Jul 1995 09:35:00 +1300
Subject: Weather simulation -Reply

>>> MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL 5/July/1995 09:29pm >>>
Dear peter
The output of weather simulators are columns of data so let me know
how you shift the mean and change the variability? Do you change the
standard error ( Mean+- Sd) to have and change variability?
Mohammad Bannayan
sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk

Both mean and standard deviation are adjustable. More information
should be obtained from Mikhail Semenov (Semenov@lars.bbsrc.ac.uk)

Peter Jamieson

From DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU Wed Jul 5 19:17:31 1995
Date: Wed, 05 Jul 95 23:17:31 EDT
From: DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET>

On Wed, 5 Jul 1995 09:06:38 -0500 <KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com> said:
>No one has mentioned Monte Carlo simulations yet.
>Typically, actual daily weather is available for
>certain climate stations for 10,20 maybe 30 years.
>In Monte Carlo modeling, 100's or 1000's of model
>runs (iterations) may be run. Based on historical
>records, the weather generator can produce 1000's
>of years of realistic weather.
>
>At least for some sites in the US, the WGEN simulator
>produces the maximum daily precipitation (from historical
>records) after 300 years are generated. So we use 300+ years
>of weather to run our Monte Carlo runoff and leaching models.

Excuse me, I do not understand what you say here. Do you mean that the
generator will generally require 300y in order to come up with a 1/300y
event? If the generator is working properly will it not come up with a
larger event if you run it longer?

I confess I am ignorant as to how the generators work but how can they be
better than real data for a given site? Let me put it another way. If I
have 30y of data from a site do the generator-builders know enough about
the distributions of weather to extrapolate that data to give the extremes
that are possible in, say 300 years?

IN answer to a previous post, there are many cases in agriculural modelling
where real weather data has been used to determine the probability distribu-
tions of simulation results...
Don Wauchope

From KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com Thu Jul 6 03:19:09 1995
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 1995 8:19:09 -0500 (EST)
From: KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com
Subject: Re: Weather simulator (reply to question)

DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET> wrote:

> Do you mean that the
> generator will generally require 300y in order to come up with a 1/300y
> event? If the generator is working properly will it not come up with a
> larger event if you run it longer?

For example, you can compare the actual maximum precipitation from a
site by month for 30 years of real data to the simulated maximums.
If you simulated 30 yrs, you should see the same trends but there is no
guarantee that the simualted years will reach the max precip for each
month. In fact for the cases I looked at in the US, only 5 out of
the 12 months had simulated maximums greater than or equal to the
actual data. Only after 300 yrs of SIMULATED data did all 12 maximums
become > or = actual maximums.

If you plot the averages and not the maximums, then even the 30 yr
simulation looks very good compared to the actual. For leaching
and runoff modeling, we are interested in precipitation as one
of the main driving forces so maximum, not just average, precip
is important.

Hope this helps...

Karl Schnelle
kschnelle@dowelanco.com

From mike@arrc.ncsu.edu Thu Jul 6 06:27:56 1995
Date: Thu, 6 Jul 95 10:27:56 EDT
From: mike@arrc.ncsu.edu (Mike Munster)

> IN answer to a previous post, there are many cases in agriculural modelling
> where real weather data has been used to determine the probability distribu-
> tions of simulation results...
> Don Wauchope

Don:

Could you provide a few citations? The problem we are currently
grappling with is related to this issue. We are using models, mainly EPIC,
in a "backwards" way -- to remove site-to-site differences in
weather and soil from sets of yield data. Unfortunately, we don't have
weather stations at these randomly chosen farms, so we use the nearest
cooperative station. But that introduces uncertainty in the model result,
and thus uncertainty in the "correction factor". We're going to try to
estimate the magnitude of this effect by simulating with the nearest and
the second-nearest stations to each point. Gets even messier for soils.

-=|Mike|=-

<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>
| MR. MICHAEL J. MUNSTER |
<> EMAP-Agricultural Lands phone 919-515-3311 <>
| 1509 Varsity Dr. fax 919-515-3593 |
<> Raleigh, NC 27606 email mike_munster@ncsu.edu <>
| USA |
<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>-<>

From SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk Fri Jul 7 12:07:05 1995
From: MOHAMMAD BANNYAN AVVAL <SBXBAM@sbn2.phes.nottingham.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 12:07:05 GMT
Subject: Exel 5.0

Has anybody worked with Ecel 5.0 to get Fourier Coefficients?
Would you let me know how.
Mohammad
sbxbam@sbn2.nott.ac.uk

From LAURENCE.BENJAMIN@bbsrc.ac.uk Fri Jul 7 17:36:07 1995
Date: Fri, 7 Jul 1995 16:36:07 +0100
From: BENJAMIN <LAURENCE.BENJAMIN@bbsrc.ac.uk>
Subject: conference on spatial aspects in biology

!! CONFERENCE !!

Modelling in Applied Biology: Spatial Aspects

Brunel University, London, UK

25-27 June 1996

The preliminary announcement and call for papers has been made for this
conference has been made by the association of applied biologists (aab). Its
aim is to bring together biologists, statisticians and modellers to exchange
ideas and learn about spatial aspects in biology.

Themes include the importance of 'patchiness' in biological systems,
quantifying spatial aspects, statistical techniques for handling data in which
spatial aspects are important and the development of models to allow for
spatial features.

The conference covers a wide range of biological topics for plants and animals
at the cellular, individual and population levels of organization. We intend
that non-modellers, who have overlooked spatial patterns in their analyses,
will find many of the session of great value.

A feature of the conference is a 'swapshop' where all types of software for
statistical analysis, data handling and modelling will be demonstrated.
Examples of their use in biology will be given and there will be opportunities
to try the software out.

If you wish to have more details and/or offer a paper then please contact me
or the aab office at Wellesbourne (+44 1789 470382, fax+44 1789 470234) or
Ethel White (conference organizer on +44 1232 448121, email
gaff6055@agv1.qub.au.uk).

Laurence Benjamin

tel +44 1789 472024
fax +44 1789 470552

From GRippee@aol.com Sat Jul 8 08:36:33 1995
Date: Sat, 8 Jul 1995 12:36:33 -0400
From: GRippee@aol.com

Please take my name and address off of this mailing list.
Thank You, George Rippee III

From DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU Sat Jul 8 16:42:57 1995
Date: Sat, 08 Jul 95 20:42:57 EDT
From: DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET>

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:31:35 -0500 Mike Munster said:
>> IN answer to a previous post, there are many cases in agriculural modelling
>> where real weather data has been used to determine the probability distribu-
>> tions of simulation results...
>> Don Wauchope
>

>Don:
>
>Could you provide a few citations? The problem we are currently...snip)

...OK, fair question...I am in the middle of some fires but will answer in a
few days. Someone else may also want to offer some examples. Don Wauchope

From ct16@cornell.edu Sun Jul 9 23:29:51 1995
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 1995 03:29:51 -0400 (EDT)
From: "Ching-pin Tung" <ct16@cornell.edu>

I am sorry to send this message to everyone!

I am leaving for my new working place. My current email account will be
closed soon, so I have to unsubscribe the mailing list. I will subscribe it
again when I get my new email account. I forget how to subscribe and
unsubscribe agmodels-l. Could someone send me the procedure to unsubscribe
and subscribe agmodels-l?

Thanks! See you soon!

Tung

Ching-pin Tung
Graduate Student Phone: +1-607-257-1241
Civil & Environmental Engineering Fax : +1-607-257-1241
Cornell University Email: ct16@cornell.edu
Ithaca, NY 14850
USA

From boltej@ccmail.orst.edu Mon Jul 10 05:15:15 1995
Date: Mon, 10 Jul 95 13:15:15 PST
From: "John P. Bolte" <boltej@ccmail.orst.edu>

The main thing to remember about subscribing and unsubscribing is to
send your message to the LIST SERVER, not the mailing list. For
Ag-models, the list server is LISTSERV@UNL.EDU

So to unsubscribe from ag-models, send the following message to
LISTSERV@UNL.EDU

UNSUBSCRIBE AGMODELS-L

The message should be in the body of your email.

Hope this helps...

- John Bolte

P.S. you can get a manual of liserver commands and their usage by
send a "HELP" message to LISTSERV@UNL.EDU

Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 08:29:50 +0900
From: nagai sonoko <tdi-jpn@st.rim.or.jp>

UNSUBSCRIBE

From gracep@adl.soils.csiro.au Tue Jul 11 20:52:44 1995
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 11:22:44 +0930 (CST)
From: "P. Grace" <gracep@adl.soils.csiro.au>
Subject: CROP MODELLING POSITION

POSITION AVAILABLE:

Research Associate/Postdoctoral Fellow in Simulation of Crop Growth and Development
Dept. Agronomy and Farming Systems
University of Adelaide, Roseworthy Campus
SOUTH AUSTRALIA

Funding by Grains Research and Development Corporation
The position is associated with the Cooperative Research Centre for Soil and
Land Management, Adelaide, South Australia.

The succesful applicant will be expected to lead research into the development
of simulation models for crop growth and devlopment as part of a team developing
a capability to simulate agricultural systems.

Requirements are a higher degree (Ph.D) in Agronomy, Crop Physiology, Soil Science or
other appropriate fields. Previous experience in simulation of crop growth and
development is highly desirable. Applicants should have demonstrated supervisory
and interpersonal skills necessary to interact with P/G students. The applicant
should have research experience in the above mentioned fields and the simulation
of biological processes.

Position available immediately until 30 June 1998.
Applications close 24 July 1995

Salary up to AUD$40K, depending on qualifications and experience.

Further information

Dr Peter Grace (Peter.Grace@adl.soils.csiro.au)

From bjohnson@cdprsmtp.cdpr.ca.gov Tue Jul 11 03:41:54 1995
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 10:41:54 -0700
From: bjohnson@cdprsmtp.cdpr.ca.gov

introduce myself:

name: Bruce Johnson

affiliation: California Dept. Pesticide Regulation

areas of interest: stochastic simulation, air modeling, soil flux modeling

models worked with: ISCST (Industrial Source Complex Short Term -
uses gaussian formulation to estimate downwind air concentrations from
industrial or area sources)

'burning' issue: dependence in ISCST of air concentration estimates on
subdivision of sources

From woodard@igc.apc.org Tue Jul 11 04:06:26 1995
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 11:06:26 -0700
From: woodard@igc.apc.org (Woody)
Subject: Weather Station Probes

Appologies to the group for being commercialistic, but this is a good forum,
and somebody can get a good deal. I've got some old weather station probes
that we're not using, and I'd like to get some different probes for our
weather station using what we can get for these. All of these were purchased
from Campbell Scientific, Inc. (CSI), for use with the CR10 datalogger. They
currently have the 'military' style connector - that's a 4 prong threaded
quick coupler - but they can easily be modified to attach to the standard
wiring panel. Most of the probes either are unused (they've just been stored
for a long time) or have been installed less than 6 months. Anyway, here's
a list of what I've got, and what I'd like to get for them:

Quantity CSI # Description New Price
'Used' price
------------- -------- -------------------
---------------- -------------------
12 TE525 Tipping Bucket Rain guage 272
200
10 03101 Cup wind speed anemometer 160
100
11 107B Water/Soil Temp thermister w/ 185
125
UT6P Mounting Shield

You can contact me by e-mail (preferred) or as listed in my sig.

Thanks, and sorry for the bandwidth...

C 'ya Woody
Jeff Woodard Glades Crop Care voice: 407-746-3740
949 Turner Quay fax: 407-746-3775
Jupiter, FL 33458 e-mail:
woodard@igc.apc.org
-My opinions are my own-

From DarrelllD@aol.com Tue Jul 11 16:00:53 1995
Date: Tue, 11 Jul 1995 20:00:53 -0400
From: DarrelllD@aol.com
Subject: Re: No Subject

Unsubscribe Darrell Dunteman

From LXAZBURTONR@CLUSTER.NORTH-LONDON.AC.UK Wed Jul 12 04:47:06 1995
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 10:53 BST
From: LXAZBURTONR@CLUSTER.NORTH-LONDON.AC.UK

unsubscribe agmodels-l

From boltej@ccmail.orst.edu Wed Jul 12 04:46:03 1995
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 95 12:46:03 PST
From: "John P. Bolte" <boltej@ccmail.orst.edu>

To unsubscribe from the agmodels-l list, DONT send a message to the
agmodels-l list. Rather, send the following message to the list
server, LISTSERV@UNL.EDU

unsubscribe agmodels-l

Sending the unsubscribe command to the agmodels-l list doesn't
accomplish anything except to occupy a bit of mail bandwidth!

- John Bolte

Author: <agmodels-l@unl.edu> at Internet_gateway
Date: 7/12/95 11:42 AM

unsubscribe agmodels-l

From tdi-jpn@st.rim.or.jp Thu Jul 13 15:17:55 1995
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 1995 06:17:55 +0900
From: nagai sonoko <tdi-jpn@st.rim.or.jp>

unsubscribe agmodels-l

From CGStockton@aol.com Sat Jul 15 11:27:34 1995
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 15:27:34 -0400
From: CGStockton@aol.com
Subject: Re: Preferential Flow Data Ne...

I suggest you investigate some of the models described in the 70's and 80's
that were written up in SIMULATION, the technical journal of the Society for
Computer Simulation (619-277-3888), P.O. Box 17900, San Diego, CA 92123.
You're testing my memory on the subject, but I believe a professor Maurice
Elzas from the University of Weigeningen (sp?) wrote some things that are
related. Hope that helps. C.G. Stockton

From DarrelllD@aol.com Sat Jul 15 15:47:21 1995
Date: Sat, 15 Jul 1995 19:47:21 -0400
From: DarrelllD@aol.com

unsubscribe ag models Darrell Dunteman

From jhopkins@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu Mon Jul 17 04:35:29 1995
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 08:35:29 -0400
From: jhopkins@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu (Jeffrey Hopkins)
Subject: Jeff Hopkins -- introduction

I am a research associate in the agricultural economics department at Ohio
State University. I am doing some crop modelling to look at the economics
and environment relationship.

My question--
I am formulating a model for optimal application of chemical fertilizers,
and am looking for literature looking at carryover of nutrients. In
particular, how do soil nutrient levels, crop yield, applied fertilizer, and
weather in one year determine soil nutrient levels in the next? I'm most
interested in phosphorous and potassium for eastern corn belt conditions.
The carryover values will be incorporated into a Mitscherlich-type yield
function, which is already estimated for me. I then want to look at the
distribution of soil nutrient values that occur across a field to establish
an economic threshold for profitable precision farming. Any literature that
discusses what a carryover function looks like or better yet shows how one
can be estimated would be appreciated. Thanks.

Jeff Hopkins, Research Associate
Agricultural Economics Department
Agricultural Administration Building, Rm. 231
2120 Fyffe Road
Ohio State University
Columbus, Ohio 43210

Phone 614-292-0551
Fax 614-292-4749
e-mail jhopkins@postbox.acs.ohio-state.edu

From haldenby@onramp.net Mon Jul 17 02:11:23 1995
Date: Mon, 17 Jul 1995 08:11:23 -0600
From: haldenby@Onramp.NET (Roger K. Haldenby)

unsubscribe ag models Roger Haldenby

Roger K,Haldenby
Plains Cotton Growers, Inc Lubbock TX

From woodard@igc.org Tue Jul 18 05:44:54 1995

Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 12:30:46 EDT
From: Tim Hess <T.Hess@cranfield.ac.uk>
Subject: Oilseed Rape models

We have an MSc student who is looking at the effect of landuse change on
pollution risk. As part of this project she is tring to simulate the
growth of oilseed rape, however, she is very short of parameters for this
crop.

Does anyone have any source of information on the following parameters for
Oilseed Rape (or something similar) grown in UK or a similar environment?
Ideally, she needs;

Maximum leaf area index
Degree days to emergence & maturity
Base temperature
Above and below ground lignin content (fractions)
Maximim ground cover
Optimum temperature
Biomass conversion factor for photosynthesis
Rel loss of active leaf area after start of senescence
N content of yield
N content of plant at emergence
N content of plant at max growth
Ratio of P to N in dry matter of plant

I know its a lot to ask, but someone, somewhere out there may just have
this information!

Tim Hess
Department of Water Management
Silsoe College
Cranfield University
Silsoe Tel (0)1525 863292
Bedford, MK45 4DT Fax (0)1525 863000
UK e-mail t.hess@silsoe.cranfield.ac.uk

From GRUSSELL@srv0.bio.ed.ac.uk Fri Jul 21 15:19:09 1995
From: Graham Russell <GRUSSELL@srv0.bio.ed.ac.uk>
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 15:19:09 +0000
Subject: Re: Oilseed Rape models

There seems to have been remarkably little work done on
modelling oilseed rape. However there is a paper in
Informations Techniques CETIOM 82 1983 Vers une
modelisation de la production de graines du colza de
printemps which contains some information that is relevant.
Other things could be estimated from the literature.

Maximum leaf area index: at least 5
Degree days to emergence: 100?
Day degrees to maturity: estimate from dates of sowing
and harvest and average weather data
Base temperature guess 0
Above and below ground lignin content (fractions) ??
Maximim ground cover assume 100%
Optimum temperature for what process?
Biomass conversion factor for photosynthesis same as
wheat till seed formation, reduce threafter to take account
of higher energy content of lipids
Rel loss of active leaf area after start of senescence ??
N content of yield back calculate from protein content
N content of plant at emergence like wheat?
N content of plant at max growth ??
Ratio of P to N in dry matter of plant ??

Good luck

Dr G. Russell
University of Edinburgh
Institute of Ecology & Resource Management (Agriculture Building)
West Mains Road
Edinburgh EH9 3JG
SCOTLAND
International phone +44 131 535 4063 Fax +44 131 667 2601
UK phone 031 535 4063 Fax 031 667 2601

From haldenby@onramp.net Fri Jul 21 05:47:34 1995
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:47:34 -0500
From: haldenby@Onramp.NET (Roger K. Haldenby)

unsubscribe agmodels Roger K. Haldenby

From haldenby@onramp.net Fri Jul 21 05:49:19 1995
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:49:19 -0500
From: haldenby@Onramp.NET (Roger K. Haldenby)

unsubscribe agmodels-l Roger K. Haldenby

From haldenby@onramp.net Fri Jul 21 05:49:26 1995
Date: Fri, 21 Jul 1995 10:49:26 -0500
From: haldenby@Onramp.NET (Roger K. Haldenby)

unsubscribe agmodels-l Roger Haldenby

From Torsten.Muller@agsci.kvl.dk Mon Jul 24 09:39:27 1995
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 1995 08:39:27 +0100
From: Torsten Muller <Torsten.Muller@agsci.kvl.dk>

Concerning parameters for Oilseed Rape I guess that

Petersen C.T., J#rgensen U., Svendsen H., Hansen S., Jensen H.E. and
Nielsen N.E. (1995): Parameter assessment for simulation of biomass
production and nitrogen uptake in winter rape. European Journal of
Agronomy 4, 77-89.

gives some of the informations you need.

Dr. Torsten Mueller
The Royal Veterinary and Agricultural University
Department of Agricultural Sciences
Section of Soil, Water and Plant Nutrition
Thorvaldsensvej 40, DK-1971 Frederiksberg C (Copenhagen), Denmark
Phone: + 45 35283499, Fax: + 45 35283460
e-mail: torsten.muller@agsci.kvl.dk

From DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU Mon Jul 24 15:17:31 1995
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 19:17:31 EDT
From: DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET>

On Thu, 6 Jul 1995 09:31:35 -0500 Mike Munster said:
>> IN answer to a previous post, there are many cases in agriculural modelling
>> where real weather data has been used to determine the probability distribu-
>> tions of simulation results...
>> Don Wauchope
>
>Don:
>
>Could you provide a few citations? The problem we are currently
>grappling with is related to this issue. We are using models, mainly EPIC,
>in a "backwards" way -- to remove site-to-site differences in
>weather and soil from sets of yield data. Unfortunately, we don't have
>weather stations at these randomly chosen farms, so we use the nearest
>cooperative station. But that introduces uncertainty in the model result,
>and thus uncertainty in the "correction factor". We're going to try to
>estimate the magnitude of this effect by simulating with the nearest and
>the second-nearest stations to each point. Gets even messier for soils.

Sorry it has taken me so long to reply to your request. The
examples of using historic weather data tha I was thinking of were uses of
30-50y of data to determine probability dist. functions of pesticide runoff
and leaching; Two references are

Mills and Leonard, Trans ASAE 27(6) 1704-10 (1984)
Leonard and Knisel, Weed Technology 2:207-216 (1988)

Hope these are relevant to your problem. It seems to me that if you are
interested in long-term distributions then the errors between moderately
close sites would be small?
Don Wauchope

From mike@arrc.ncsu.edu Mon Jul 24 15:45:02 1995
Date: Mon, 24 Jul 95 19:45:02 EDT
From: mike@arrc.ncsu.edu (Mike Munster)

Don:

Thanks for the reply and the citations.

> Hope these are relevant to your problem. It seems to me that if you are
> interested in long-term distributions then the errors between moderately
> close sites would be small?

Probably, but the trouble is we are trying to account for the effect
of the current year's weather on the reported yields of individual fields!

-=|Mike|=-

From DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU Tue Jul 25 04:34:30 1995
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 08:34:30 EDT
From: DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET>

On Mon, 24 Jul 1995 19:03:58 -0500 Mike Munster said:
>Probably, but the trouble is we are trying to account for the effect
>of the current year's weather on the reported yields of individual fields!

That is truly ambitious--and fundamentally important. You may discover that
the physiological knowledge simply isn't there and I hope you are able to push
the boundaries. Good hunting.

From ROHVM1.RSYJPC@rohmhaas.com Sat Jul 25 09:25:09 1995
Date: 25 Jul 1995 09:25:09 GMT
From: "John P. Carbone," <ROHVM1.RSYJPC@rohmhaas.com>
Subject: NOTE 07/25/95 09:25:00

Toxicology, Bldg. 9A, Rm 109c
(215)641-7489; FAX (215)619-1621, INTERNET RSYJPC@ROHMHAAS.COM

I have noticed that in PRZM2 outfiles (flux) there is a term for Lateral
outflow. I assume this estimates material flow off sitevia groundwater
movement. Is this assumption correct? If so what is the mechanism for
generating this output. In my experience this is typically a zero value
in the output file.

Thank you
OPINIONS ARE THOSE OF THE AUTHOR AND NOT THE ROHM & HAAS CO.

From MANGELSG@pt.Cyanamid.COM Tue Jul 25 06:54:32 1995
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:54:32 -0500 (EST)
From: MANGELSG@pt.Cyanamid.COM
Subject: Ongoing leaching and surface run-off studies

I am a member of a committee which will be studying the run-off and leaching
models which are used for regulatory purposes. As part of this process we
are attempting to obtain data to help examine how well the observed values
fir the model predictions. Can anyone help with any data sets? Is anyone
currently conducting studies which may be helpful in the future?

From KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com Tue Jul 25 06:02:05 1995
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:02:05 -0500 (EST)
From: KSCHNELLE@dowelanco.com
Subject: RE: Lateral outflow in PRZM2

The US EPA's PRZM-2 is an environmental fate model that predicts the
amount of pesticide leaching in the root zone and unsaturated soil zones.

The newest version is Release 2 with an Addendum, published in Oct 94,
to the Users Manual from 93. The addendum mentions that the model
incorporates lateral drainage for both flow and chemical fluxes so that
PRZM-2 output could be integrated with HSPF. HSPF is the Hydrological
Simulation Program - FORTRAN from the EPA (1992).

Lateral outflow is the daily flux for each pesticide from the entire soil
column. Other variables represent lateral flux for each soil compartment in
the soil column. See the Addendum for details.

The Center for Exposure assessment Modeling (CEAM) has an ftp site
where you can get the latest PRZM-2 code and manuals:

ftp earth1.epa.gov then cd epa_ceam

Karl Schnelle
DowElanco
Indianapolis, IN USA
kschnelle@dowelanco.com

From mogasser@grr.ulaval.ca Tue Jul 25 12:41:38 1995
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 1995 17:41:38 -0500
From: mogasser@grr.ulaval.ca (Marc-Olivier Gasser)
Subject: Re:Oilseed rape model parameters

I have heard of an article entitled 'EPIC model parameters for cereal,
oilseed, and forage crops in the northern great plains region' (Alberta,
Canada) about to be published in Can J. Plant Sci. by J.R. Kiniry, et al.
1995.

M. Kiniry works at USDA-Agricultural Research Service, Temple, Texas. Sorry
for the scarse information, but this should do.

Marc-Olivier Gasser
Departement des sols
Pavillon Comtois
Universite Laval, Quebec.
G1K 7P4, Canada
mogasser@grr.ulaval.ca
Tel.: 418 656 3627
Fax : 418 656 3723

From DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU Tue Jul 25 14:01:00 1995
Date: Tue, 25 Jul 95 18:01:00 EDT
From: DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET>
Subject: Re: Ongoing leaching and surface run-off studies

On Tue, 25 Jul 1995 11:18:48 -0500 <MANGELSG@pt.Cyanamid.COM> said:
>I am a member of a committee which will be studying the run-off and leaching
>models which are used for regulatory purposes. As part of this process we
>are attempting to obtain data to help examine how well the observed values
>fir the model predictions. Can anyone help with any data sets? Is anyone
>currently conducting studies which may be helpful in the future?

Greetings, Gary...I am assuming you are talking about the EMWG? Several of
the EMWG members are part of this discussion group.

We are working hard to get our Tifton "mesoplot" data together
(two replicate plots x two years x 6 simulated events/y). I will discuss this
at the meeting in August.

From tdi-jpn@st.rim.or.jp Wed Jul 26 16:44:02 1995
Date: Wed, 26 Jul 1995 07:44:02 +0900
From: nagai sonoko <tdi-jpn@st.rim.or.jp>

From R.B.Matthews@cranfield.ac.uk Thu Jul 27 04:55:23 1995
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 08:55:23 EDT
From: R.B.Matthews@cranfield.ac.uk
Subject: Cotton models

We are looking for a cotton model to help look at the effect of timing and
intensity of irrigation on yield. Can anybody recommend a suitable one? We
are interested in obtaining the source code and any documentation that
would go with it.

Thanks in anticipation.
Robin Matthews.

Robin Matthews Tel: +44 1525 863008
Department of Water Management Fax: +44 1525 863001
Silsoe College, Cranfield University Email: R.B.MATTHEWS@CRANFIELD.AC.UK
Bedfordshire MK45 4DT Tlx: 826838 SILCAM G
UNITED KINGDOM.

From cbutts@asrr.arsusda.gov Thu Jul 27 06:17:28 1995
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 10:17:28 -0400 (EDT)
From: Chris Butts <cbutts@asrr.arsusda.gov>
Subject: Re: Cotton models

Robin Mathews recently asked about cotton models available. The cotton
model/ expert system, GOSYM/COMAX, is an extensive crop growth and
management model covering a wide range of management practices. It has
been cited in many refereed journal articles in the TRANS. of the ASAE
and others too. A contact is James McKinion, Engineer, USDA, ARS, Crop
Simulation Research Unit, Mississippi State University, Mississippi.

Not sure of his email address. Good luck.

* Chris Butts * cbutts@asrr.arsusda.gov *
* USDA, ARS *****************************
* National Peanut Research Laboratory * Phone: 912-995-7431 *
* 1011 Forrester Dr., SE *****************************
* Dawson, Georgia 31742 * FAX: 912-995-7416 *

From lpachepsky@asrr.arsusda.gov Thu Jul 27 02:25:50 1995
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 95 09:25:50 PDT
From: lpachepsky@asrr.arsusda.gov

Contact Jeffery Amthor. e-mail amthor@targa.llnl.gov or
amthor@llnl.gov.
I worked with his cotton model, it is the most comprehensive one for cotton
I have ever seen.
-------------------------------------
Name: Ludmila Pachepsky
Systems Research Lab
Bldg 007, Rm 008 BARC-W
10300 Baltimore Ave.
Beltsville, MD 20705
301-504-6042 (voice)
301-504-5823 (fax)
E-mail: lpachepsky@asrr.arsusda.gov
-------------------------------------
07/27/95 09:25:51

From panz@iastate.edu Thu Jul 27 10:12:21 1995
Subject: need crop/soil model
Date: Thu, 27 Jul 1995 15:12:21 CDT
From: Zaitao Pan <panz@iastate.edu>

Hi, I am a meteorologiest and going to develop a numerical
model for evapotranspiration. I have the atmopsheric part
of the model, but not the vegetation and soil parts. Does
any one have some simple source codes or imformation that
can help me?

Appreciate your help.

Zaitao Pan
Dept. of Geo. & Atmos. Sci.
Iowa State Univ.

From nick@vt.edu Fri Jul 28 03:30:21 1995
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 08:30:21 -0500
From: nick@vt.edu (Nick Stone)

Hello,
I am very interested in what you've described. I've been working on
whole-farm planning using multi-objective constraint satisfaction simulated
annealing and other approaches. Our program is called CROPS, and I wish I
could say it is available for release, but it is being tested for use by
our Natural Resources Conservation Service in Virginia and Pennsylvania.
You can get some idea of what CROPS is about by connecting to my home page
(see URL below) on the WWW. It's not updated as it ought to be, but it can
give you an introduction.
I would be very interested in meeting with you on your tour in 1996, and
I would be happy to try your system. We have a 486 with 16MB memory and 1
GB disk.
Looking forward to hearing from you.
--Nick Stone

>I AM A AGRICULTURAL ECONOMIST AT THE SOUTHERN CAPE AGRICULTURAL
>DEVELOPEMENT CENTRE IN SOUTH AFRICA. I DEVELOPED A DYNAMIC LINEAR
>PROGRAMMING MODEL FOR WHOLE FARM PLANNING AND TO EVALUATE THE
>INFLUANCE OF AGRICULTURAL POLICY ON A MICRO LEVEL. THE MODEL CAN
>BE USED FOR ANY AREA WHERE THE THE MAIN ENTERPRISES IS GRAIN,
>LIVESTOCK AND PASTURES. THE MODEL CAN ACCOMADATE 35 CROP ROTATION
>ACTIVITYS AND 10 LIVESTOCK ENTERPRIZES AND THE PLANNING PERIOD IS SIX
>YEARS. THE MODEL IS DEVIDED INTO THREE MAIN COMPONETS:
>
>* EVALUATION OF THE PRESENT SITUATION AND A SIX YEAR YEARLY CASH FLOW
>* CALCULATION OF ALTERNATIVE OPTIMAL SIX YEAR PLANS
>* PRESENTATION OF THE ANSWER WITH GRAHPS AND TABLES
>* EVALUATION OF THE ALTERNATIVES PLANS TO DECIDE ON THE BEST
> ALTERNATIVE
>
>THE MINNIMUM COMPUTER REQUIREMENT IS A 486 COMPUTER WITH 8 MEG RAM, A
>MATHEMATICAL COPROSESSOR AND 240 MEG HARD DISK. THE MODEL IS VERY
>USERFRIENDLY IN THE SENSE THAT THE USER DONT NEED TO BE A EXPERT ON
>DLP TO OPERATE THE SYSTEM. THE BUDGET INFORMATION WITH TECHNICAL
>COFFICIENTS IS IN A QUTRO PRO SPREADSHEET AND COUPLED TO THE LP
>MATRICS. AT PRESENT THE MODEL CONSISTS OF 14800 ACTIVITYS AND 4600
>RESOURCE RESTRICTIONS. MOST OF THE ACTIVITYS IS HOWEVER TRANSFER
>ACTIVITYS. THE PROGRAM IS MENU DRIVEN.
>
>DURING 1996 I INTEND TO GO ON A STUDY TOUR OF THE USA AND EUROPE TO
>SEE HOW OTHER PEOPLE APPROACH WHOLE FARM PLANNING. IF YOU SHARE THE
>SAME INTERESTS I WILL APPRECIATE IT IF YOU WILL CONTACT ME.
>
>DAAN LOUW
>PHONE: 0441 742047 (WORK) ADD THE COUNTRY AND AREA CODES
> O441 715170 (HOME)
>FAX: 0441 747730
>EMAIL: GEORGE4@GEORGE1.AGRIC.ZA
>
>ADRESS: SOUTHERN CAPE AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPEMENT CENTRE
> P.O BOX 249
> GEORGE
> 6530
> SOUTH AFRICA

Nicholas D. Stone ISIS Lab
Department of Entomology Phone: (703) 231-6885
202 Price Hall FAX: (703) 231-9131
Virginia Tech Internet: nick@vt.edu
Blacksburg, VA 24060 BITNET: nstone@vtvm1

On the WWW:
http://www.ento.vt.edu/Personnel/Professors/NDSInfo.html
_ __
\ / __/
o |_||__//_
\_/ |\ / \ "Time flies like an arrow;
(_| | >--< \ ) fruit flies like a banana."
/ \_|/____\_/ --Groucho Marx
o | || \\_
_/ \__ \

From p.a.hollington@bangor.ac.uk Fri Jul 28 06:49:00 1995
From: "Hollington, Phil" <p.a.hollington@bangor.ac.uk>
Subject: FW: EPIC Crop Parameters
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 95 13:49:00 PDT

----------
From: root
To: p.a.hollington
Subject: EPIC Crop Parameters
Date: 28 July 1995 06:33

p.a.hollington@bangor.ac.uk: You are not subscribed to agmodels-l@unl.edu.
Your message is returned to you unprocessed. If you want to subscribe,
send mail to listserv@unl.edu with the following request:

subscribe AGMODELS-L Your Name

---
-

Does anyone have details of any work on deriving crop parameters for rye,
triticale and sugar beet for EPIC under Polish conditions? These will be
useful for a new project between ourselves and Warsaw Agricultural
University.

Many thanks,

Phil Hollington,

CAZS Bangor, UK
Phone +44 1248 383709
Fax +44 1248 364717

From byp1@cornell.edu Fri Jul 28 05:39:14 1995
Date: Fri, 28 Jul 1995 09:39:14 -0400
From: byp1@cornell.edu (Brigitte Y. Perigard)

Hi,

I am working on Whole Farm Planning in the New York City Watershed. I would
be very interested in hearing more about the work you've been doing. Do the
models that you have developed address water quality impacts of alternative
practices?
Thanks.

-- Brigitte

> [...]
>>PHONE: 0441 742047 (WORK) ADD THE COUNTRY AND AREA CODES
>> O441 715170 (HOME)
>>FAX: 0441 747730
>>EMAIL: GEORGE4@GEORGE1.AGRIC.ZA
>>
>>ADRESS: SOUTHERN CAPE AGRICULTURAL DEVELOPEMENT CENTRE
>> P.O BOX 249
>> GEORGE
>> 6530
>> SOUTH AFRICA

>Nicholas D. Stone ISIS Lab
>Department of Entomology Phone: (703) 231-6885
>202 Price Hall FAX: (703) 231-9131
>Virginia Tech Internet: nick@vt.edu
>Blacksburg, VA 24060 BITNET: nstone@vtvm1
>
>On the WWW:
> http://www.ento.vt.edu/Personnel/Professors/NDSInfo.html
> _ __
> \ / __/
>o |_||__//_
> \_/ |\ / \ "Time flies like an arrow;
> (_| | >--< \ ) fruit flies like a banana."

Brigitte Y. Perigard
New York State Water Resources Institute
472 Hollister Hall
Cornell University
(607) 255-9397

From kirsten.verburg@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au Tue Aug 1 02:52:07 1995
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 16:52:07 +1000
From: kirsten.verburg@cnetns.tcp.csiro.au (Kirsten Verburg)
Subject: jobs for cropping systems scientists

Hello,

Appended below are two job advertisements that I am posting on behalf of two
of my colleagues. The advertisements are for positions for cropping systems
scientists with the CSIRO Division of Tropical Crops and Pastures in
Australia. Scientists within and outside of Australia are encouraged to
apply. For further information please write to Dr Brian Keating
(brian.keating@tcp.csiro.au) or Dr Peter Carberry
(peterca@apsrusg.sth.dpi.qld.gov.au) directly. Please do NOT respond to the
agmodels-l list (reply function), nor to the sender of this message.

Best regards,
Kirsten

-----------------------------------
Cropping Systems Scientists
Management of Sugarcane and Dryland Grain/Grazing Systems
Division of Tropical Crops and Pastures, Brisbane, Qld

CSIRO Division of Tropical Crops and Pastures has an international
reputation for its research on the agronomy and sustainability of sugarcane
and dryland grain/grazing systems. Being a partner in both the Co-operative
Research Centre (CRC) for Sustainable Sugar Production and the joint
Queensland Department of Primary Industry / CSIRO Agricultural Production
Systems Research Unit (APSRU), the Division has in place established
research teams closely linked to its stakeholder industries.

A major thrust of the Division's research has been the development of a
cropping systems simulation capability and its application to issues of
concern to farmers, land use planners and policy makers. The Division is
seeking to appoint two research scientists to strengthen our existing
multi-disciplinary research teams. Both positions require individuals who
can work at the level of the production system, which includes an
integration of crop, soil, climate and management issues from bio-physical
and economic perspectives, with those of clients in industry.

-------------------------------------
Research Scientist / Senior Research Scientist
Reference No . PG/111/283
$44K - $60K + Superannuation
Brisbane, Qld.

We wish to appoint a scientist to research more profitable and sustainable
production in sugarcane systems. Management strategies for water and
nitrogen that have both production and environmental benefits will be an
initial focus of the work. Over time, you will be expected to interact
closely with industry and resource management agencies to help shape the
research program in relation to emerging priorities.

The successful applicant will have a Ph-D or equivalent in an area related
to crop or soil management. Experience in the development and application of
crop and soil simulation models is essential. Experience in nitrogen cycling
in relation to fertiliser and crop residue management would be an advantage.

You must have excellent communication and interpersonal skills to be
effective in operating in a dynamic research environment, where major
collaborative opportunities are possible with groups such as the newly
formed CRC for Sustainable Sugar Production and APSRU.

Appointment at the senior level within the range indicated will be
conditional on demonstrated leadership and project management experience.
This includes an ability to identify strategic opportunities, initiate
innovative research, secure financial support from stakeholder groups, and
to direct and supervise project staff. Appointment is for an indefinite period.

For further information, contact Dr Brian Keating on phone 07 3770373, fax
07 3713946 and email brian.keating@tcp.csiro.au
-------------------------------------
Research scientist
Reference No PG/142/5
$44K - $48K + Superannuation
Toowoomba, Qld

We are seeking to appoint a scientist to undertake research aimed at more
profitable and sustainable production in the dryland grain/grazing systems
of northern Australia. The initial focus of the work includes (1) the
further development of our systems modelling capability for dryland cereals,
grain legumes and ley pastures grown in the Australian sub-tropics, and (2)
the application of this simulation capability to issues of importance to
industry. This latter area will be conducted using a participatory approach
in which farmers and advisers are part of the research team.

The successful applicant will have a PhD or equivalent in an area related
to crop physiology or agronomy. You will need practical experience in field
crop agronomy as well as experience in the development and application of
simulation models. You will need to be able to demonstrate excellent
communication and interpersonal skills. Over time, you will be expected to
help shape the research project in relation to emerging priorities and
funding opportunities.

The position will be located within the DPI / CSIRO Agricultural Production
Systems Research Unit (APSRU), based at DPI's regional office in Toowoomba
in south-east Queensland. You will be operating within a
multi-organisational, multi-disciplinary team in close asociation with
industry. The appointment is for an indefinite period.

For further information, contact Dr Peter Carberry on phone 076 314377, fax
076 332678 and email peterca@apsrusg.sth.dpi.qld.gov.au

-------------------------------------
To obtain copies of the duty statements and selection criteria for these two
positions please contact Roslyn Gaydon on phone 07 33770209 , fax 07 3371946
(International 61 - 7 - 3371946) or email roslyn.gaydon@tcp.csiro.au

CSIRO is an Equal Opportunity Employer

Please send your application (+ 3 copies) including details of your skills,
qualifications and work achievements, with the names of at least two
referees, quoting the appropriate reference number to;

The Recruitment Officer, CSIRO Division of Tropical Crops and Pastures, 306
Carmody Rd, St Lucia, 4067, QLD, AUSTRALIA ,

by 25th August 1995

Kirsten Verburg
PLEASE NOTE THE CHANGE OF PHONE NUMBERS:
CSIRO EXTRA 3 IN FRONT!!
Div. Soils / Trop. Crops & Pastures
306 Carmody Rd Tel. : (07) 3377 0322 / 3377 0209
St Lucia, Qld 4067 Fax : (07) 3371 3946 / 3377 0420
AUSTRALIA E-mail: kirsten.verburg@tcp.csiro.au

From R.B.Matthews@cranfield.ac.uk Mon Jul 31 04:40:42 1995

Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 08:28:57 -0600
From: mckinion@marlin.csrumsu.ars.ag.gov (James McKinion)

>We are looking for a cotton model to help look at the effect of timing and
>intensity of irrigation on yield. Can anybody recommend a suitable one? We
>are interested in obtaining the source code and any documentation that
>would go with it.
>
>Thanks in anticipation.
>Robin Matthews.

> Robin Matthews Tel: +44 1525 863008
> Department of Water Management Fax: +44 1525 863001
> Silsoe College, Cranfield University Email: R.B.MATTHEWS@CRANFIELD.AC.UK
> Bedfordshire MK45 4DT Tlx: 826838 SILCAM G
> UNITED KINGDOM.

The GOSSYM/COMAX cotton crop model is the only cotton model available today
that has been extensively validated across the US cotton belt and in many
countries aroud the world and is in use in commercial cotton production.
Outside of the US, we have research collaborators in France, Spain, Greece,
Mexico, People's Republic of China, Cameroon, and Thailand. If you would be
interested in GOSSYM/COMAX on a research collaboration basis, please advise.

James

Dr. James M. McKinion Ph. 601-324-4375
USDA-ARS FAX 601-324-4371
Crop Simulation Research Unit Email mckinion@csrumsu.ars.ag.gov
P. O. BOX 5367
Mississippi State, MS 39762
USA

From coopl@ava.bcc.orst.edu Mon Jul 31 01:31:40 1995
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 08:31:40 -0700 (PDT)
From: Leonard Coop <coopl@ava.bcc.orst.edu>
Subject: Re: Agric. modeling resources on the net (fwd)

I am assisting in a 3 hour workshop on IPM models and
resources on the net, especially the Web.

Does anyone have a list of URLs?

Things like directorys of Agric. and IPM models and their
uses, people working on research and extension models, and
especially published and supported efforts and how they
are used to help in Agric. and IPM decision making.

I will collate all info and put it back on the list in
a couple weeks.

Len Coop coopl@bcc.orst.edu
Dept Entomology, Oregon State University

From DON@TIFTON.CPES.PEACHNET.EDU Mon Jul 31 10:48:02 1995
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 95 14:48:02 EDT
From: DON WAUCHOPE <DON@TIFTON.BITNET>

On Mon, 31 Jul 1995 10:31:55 -0500 Leonard Coop said:

>I am assisting in a 3 hour workshop on IPM models and
>resources on the net, especially the Web.
>
>Does anyone have a list of URLs?
...(snip)
>Len Coop coopl@bcc.orst.edu
>Dept Entomology, Oregon State University

Some useful addresses I know of:

NRCS (formerly SCS) models and databases: ftp to ftp.nrcs.usda.gov
anonymous logon cd to pub/wqmodels
EPA models: ftp to earth1.epa.gov anonymous logon cd to epa_ceam/dos
also try http://forte.poly.edu:3333/ they're building this one

Don Wauchope

From thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu Mon Jul 31 06:22:46 1995
Date: Mon, 31 Jul 1995 13:22:46 -0700 (PDT)
From: Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>

Try ftp://ftp.hrz.uni-kassel.de/pub/ecosys/models
There are a few models there including SIMPOTATO

From Tivi.Theiveyanathan@acacia.cbr.for.csiro.au Wed Aug 2 01:06:33 1995
Date: Tue, 1 Aug 1995 15:06:33 +1000
From: Tivi.Theiveyanathan@cbr.for.csiro.au (Tivi Theiveyanathan)

>We are looking for a cotton model to help look at the effect of timing and
>intensity of irrigation on yield. Can anybody recommend a suitable one? We
>are interested in obtaining the source code and any documentation that
>would go with it.
>
>Thanks in anticipation.
>Robin Matthews.

> Robin Matthews Tel: +44 1525 863008
> Department of Water Management Fax: +44 1525 863001
> Silsoe College, Cranfield University Email: R.B.MATTHEWS@CRANFIELD.AC.UK
> Bedfordshire MK45 4DT Tlx: 826838 SILCAM G
> UNITED KINGDOM.

Dear Robin

I was working on the water and nutrient balance of the cotton model (called
SIRATAC) some years ago and I think the model contains irrigation
application and crop productivity. Basically the crop water relations was
derived from CERES model approach. If you need more information please
contact CSIRO Division of Plant Industry, PO Box 59, NARRABRI, NSW 2390,
AUSTRALIA or please send an email to me. I may be able to help you.

Tivi

PS I was an old Masters student of SILSOE (Ag Eng, Soil and Water) between
1980-82

From debay5j9@ibmmail.com Tue Aug 1 05:29:48 1995
Date: Tue, 01 Aug 1995 09:29:48 EDT
From: "Dr. Helmut Schafer PFSFQ - MT0026" <debay5j9@ibmmail.com>
Subject: STREAM

Hi,
in a report about the Joint Meeting on Pesticides, 1994 the model STREAM was
mentioned without any additional information. The model seems to be used for the
estimation of environmental concentrations of pesticides in water bodies.
Has anybody background information about this model? (Who has developed it?
etc....)
Any bit of information would help me a lot!
Thanks in advance!
Helmut Schaefer

Prepared by Steve Modena AB4EL modena@SunSITE.unc.edu