From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jul 3 19:01 EDT 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 18:00:53 -0500
From: listserv@unl.edu
Subject: GET SOILS-L LOG9407

Archive SOILS-L: file log9407, part 1/1, size 20143 bytes:

Date: Tue, 12 Jul 94 15:23:29 EST
From: Judy Schofield <JSCHOFIE@MIAMIU.ACS.MUOHIO.EDU>
Subject: Introduction

Hello. My name is Judy Schofield and I am a graduate student at Miami
University in Oxford, Ohio, earning a Masters degree in Environmental
Sciences. My thesis work will focus on the decomposition of leaf litter,
particularly the fate of condensed tannins after leaf fall and in the
early stages of litter decomposition. I plan to characterize tannin
flow both qualitatively and quantitatively. Is it possible to extract
tannins from soil while maintaining their structure? I have had limited
success thus far recovering added tannin from soil. I can recover only
about one-half of tannin which I add to soil in aqueous form. I would
appreciate any suggestions and can provide more detailed information
pertaining to my experiences thus far. Sincerely, Judy Schofield

From Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu Thu Jul 14 05:05:00 1994
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 1994 12:05:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Craul, Timothy A." <Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu>

information soils-l

From tmiller@bvu-lads.loral.com Thu Jul 14 02:25:03 1994
Date: Thu, 14 Jul 94 09:25:03 -0700
From: tmiller@bvu-lads.loral.com (Timothy Miller)
Subject: information

information soils-l

From Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu Fri Jul 15 05:42:00 1994
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 12:42:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Craul, Timothy A." <Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu>

index soils-l

From Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu Fri Jul 15 05:43:00 1994
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 12:43:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Craul, Timothy A." <Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu>

recipients soils-l

From tijones@cs.nmsu.edu Fri Jul 15 05:21:38 1994
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 11:21:38 -0600 (MDT)
From: Tim Jones <tijones@cs.nmsu.edu>
Subject: Re: your mail

information soils-l

From tijones@cs.nmsu.edu Fri Jul 15 05:39:32 1994
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 11:39:32 -0600 (MDT)
From: Tim Jones <tijones@cs.nmsu.edu>
Subject: sub soils-l tijones@cs.nmsu.edu

sub soils -l tijones@cs.nmsu.edu

From tijones@cs.nmsu.edu Fri Jul 15 05:40:16 1994
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 11:40:16 -0600 (MDT)
From: Tim Jones <tijones@cs.nmsu.edu>

sub soils-l tijones@cs.nmsu.edu

From Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu Fri Jul 15 07:18:00 1994
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 14:18:00 -0700 (PDT)
From: "Craul, Timothy A." <Craul@agronomy.cas.psu.edu>
Subject: Mail

Sorry about the my screw ups. My computer got messed up on the last Bommer
Banger storm. When I retyped my Address list, I copied the E-mail addreses
wrong.

Again Sorry

Tim Craul

From jp@unlinfo.unl.edu Fri Jul 15 17:48:39 1994
From: jp@unlinfo.unl.edu (jerome pier)
Subject: NEW: Trickle-L mail list hosted by listserv@unl.edu
Date: Fri, 15 Jul 1994 22:48:39 -0500 (CDT)

Dear Subscribers,

I am happy to announce the creation of Trickle-L, a new
mail list hosted by the listserver at University of Nebraska -
Lincoln (listserv@unl.edu). The purpose of this list is for the
unmoderated discussion of all aspects of trickle or drip
irrigation. The list owner for Trickle-L is Richard Mead
(rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov). To join Trickle-L, send email to
listserv@unl.edu with the following message:

SUB TRICKLE-L First Last

where 'First' refers to your first or given name and 'Last' your
family name. You should receive notification of your subscription
by email shortly after the listserv daemon receives your request.
If any difficulty arises please contact the list owner at the
above address.

Sincerely,
Jerome Pier
jp@unl.edu

From a16rbauer@attmail.com Sat Jul 19 20:45:01 1994
From: a16rbauer@attmail.com (Ronald F BAUER )
Date: 19 Jul 94 20:45:01 GMT
Subject: Soil Survey Manual

ATTENTION

- ORDERING SOIL SURVEY MANUAL -

We have been informed that it is now possible to order
the revised Soil Survey Manual. This message is about
how to order copies of the "Soil Survey Manual",
USDA Agriculture Handbook 18, 1993 revision.

Mailing Address and Telephone Number:
Superintendent of Documents
U.S. Government Printing Office
Washington, D.C. 20402
(202) 512-2771

Publication:
Soil Survey Manual
USDA Handbook Number: 18
Stock Number: 001-000-04611-0
Requisition Number: 4-10477
Price $25.00 per copy

Credit Cards Accepted.

From xhlee@unixg.ubc.ca Tue Jul 19 10:35:16 1994
Date: Tue, 19 Jul 1994 17:35:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Xuhui Lee <xhlee@unixg.ubc.ca>
Subject: To Soil_L manager only

Hello Manager,
I have asked my e-mail address be taken off SOIL_L but somehow I keep
receiving messages from you. Could you please try again to disconnect me
from SOIL-L?

Thanks.

Xuhui

From HMC4@VAX.YORK.AC.UK Thu Jul 21 04:19:02 1994
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 94 9:54 BST
From: HMC4@VAX.YORK.AC.UK

I am a research associate mapping the relative sensitivity
of ecosystems to acidic deposition. I am using potential
evapotranspiration as one of my data layers in a model. I would
ideally like to have actual evapotranspiration.
Please could someone give me further information to the following
reference.

Box, E.O. , 1978, SOLWAT: A Minimal-Input Soil Water Simulation
System Applicable to a Full Range of Natural Conditions. User
Manual for Version 2.2.

I presume it is a computer program. Is it available via ftp?

Thanks,

Howard Cambridge

Stockholm Environment Institute at York,
University of York,
Heslington, York.
YO1 5DD.

Tel +44 904 432992
Fax +44 904 432898

From GEPHILLI@ECUVM.CIS.ECU.EDU Wed Jul 27 03:13:00 1994
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 07:13:00 EDT
From: "JONATHAN D. PHILLIPS" <GEPHILLI@ECUVM.CIS.ECU.EDU>

I don't know anything about the reference on ET in question, but Eugene
Box is at the department of geography, Univ. of Georg, Athens, Ga.
You should be able to get in touch with him there

Jonathan Phillips
Department of Geography & Planning
East Carolina University
Greenville, NC 27858-4353
gephilli@ecuvm1
919/757-6082

From pah_ot@wye.lon.ac.uk Wed Jul 27 17:21:55 1994
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 16:21:55 +0100 (BST)
From: Otlogetswe Totolo <pah_ot@wye.lon.ac.uk>
Subject: Introducing O. Totolo

I am a Ph.D student at Wye College, University of London. I come from
Botswana in Southern Africa. I did my M.Sc ( Pedology, Soil Survey and
Land Evaluation ) at the Uninersity of Reading in 1990. In Botswana, I am
a lecturer in General Soil Science for third year Environmental Science
Students.

I am on study leave and my research topic is "The use of soil survey data
to predict potential soil loss using GIS techniques." Soil survey data(
texture, slope, organic carbon, Calcium caronate, Structure, Met. data )
has already been collected and will be fed into GIS( SPANS ) to predict
soil erosion in an area of study. I am also interested in soil erosion
prediction models like EPIC, RUSLE, WEPP etc and if I can get hold of
them I wish I could use them for my theses. So could you please link me with
researchers in that area since we don't have them here at the moment, may
be they can help us with addresses where they can be acquired.

The difficulty with my research is that a decision has to be made on the
type of soil and met. information to be used. "Which soil and
metereological attributes has to be used to make soil loss predictions? "
Is it absolutely crucial to validate whhatever predictions were made by
doing field experiments in my area of study? I hope you experienced
researchers out there will help me with answers to those questions.

Thank you very much.

Otlogetswe Totolo.

From fvb@unlinfo.unl.edu Wed Jul 27 05:44:34 1994
From: fvb@unlinfo.unl.edu (francis belohlavy)
Subject: Re: Introducing O. Totolo
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 1994 10:44:34 -0500 (CDT)

I noticed you post of introduction and thought maybe you might be
interested in contacting the following researcher:

Robert B. Grossman
Research Soil Scientist
National Soil Survey Laboratory (NSSL)
U.S.D.A, Soil Conservation Service
Federal Building, Room 152
100 Centennial Mall North
Lincoln, Nebraska 68508-3866
(402)-437-5363

He is working on new field methods to measure soil characteristics that may
effect soil erosion.

I work with soil survey and I am also interested in the use of GIS and
soil interpretation. I hope this might be of some help, although not
an answer to your questions.

Good Luck.
--
Francis Belohlavy
Research Soil Scientist

From jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov Wed Jul 27 16:17:50 1994
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 94 15:17:50 +0100
From: "Jonathan Haskett" <jhaskett@asrr.arsusda.gov>
Subject: Position Announcement

U.S. Department of Agriculture
Agricultural Research Service

Supervisory Plant Physiologist/Agronomist/Soil Scientist.
ARS has a permanent position in the Systems Research
Laboratory, in Beltsville Maryland. Incumbent provides
research leadership for the development of models,
databases and expert systems; and administrative
leadership for a diverse group of scientists and support
staff. Working knowledge of crop physiology (particularly
whole plant responses to soil and areial environmental
conditions), soils, hydrology.Knowledge in agricultural
systems modeling is required. Ph.D. and research
experience in general agricultural sciences are required.
Grade Range: GS-13/14/15, salary ranging from $49,947.
to $69,427. per annum. For position information,
contact: Dr. Philip C. Kearney, Institute director,
Natural Resources Institute, Beltsville, MD 20705;
or call 301-504-7030; FAX: 301-504-6001.

Prepared by Steve Modena AB4EL modena@SunSITE.unc.edu