From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jul 3 19:01 EDT 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 18:00:51 -0500
From: listserv@unl.edu
Subject: GET SOILS-L LOG9408

Archive SOILS-L: file log9408, part 1/1, size 17738 bytes:

Date: Mon, 8 Aug 94 08:46:27 CDT
From: Craig Ditzler <ditzler@nssc600.mntc.scs.ag.gov>
Subject: New Publications

The following message is information explaining
how to obtain copies of the new Soil Survey Manual
or Keys to Soil Taxonomy, both recently published
by USDA Soil Conservation Service.

Date: Mon Aug 8 06:27:49 EST 1994
From: Tomas Calhoun Assistant Director Soil Survey Division
Subject: Availability of Soil Survey Manual and Keys to Soil Taxonomy

The Soil Survey Manual and the Keys to Taxonomy are available
to customers who are not National Cooperative Soil Survey cooperators
with the Soil Conservation Service. They are available through
the Superintendent of Documents. To order by mail, write to:
Superintendent of Documents
Post Office Box 371954
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania 15250-7954

To order by phone call: (202) 783-3238
By FAX, call (202) 512-2250
(that's right, the mailing address is Pittsburgh and the telephone
numbers in Washington, D.C.)

Information for ordering follows:
Soil Survey Manual
USDA Ag. Handbook #18
Stock Number: 001-000-04611-0
Price: $25.00 per copy

Keys to Soil Taxonomy, 6th Edition
Stock Number: 001-000-04612-8
Price: $19.00 per copy

Please direct all inquiries from students, private consultants, general
public etc. to these sources.

From tzobeck@lubbock.ars.ag.gov Fri Aug 15 05:55:32 1994
Date: 15 Aug 1994 11:55:32 -0600
From: "Ted Zobeck" <tzobeck@lubbock.ars.ag.gov>
Subject: Topic: Wind Erosion Discus

Topic: Wind Erosion Discussion List Started
Ted Zobeck of the USDA, ARS has started a new discussion group on wind
erosion.
This discussion list will be similar to Soils-L in that it initially will
be unmoderated. I hope we can encourage discussion of any aspect of wind
erosion science, including but not limited to modeling, climatic influences,
soils, agricultural and non-agricultural aspects of wind erosion, physics,
economics, environmental impacts, etc.
subscribe wind_erosion (your name)
Your will receive a confirmation of your subscription and will be issued a
password. Please reset your password as instructed in the return message.
NOTE: The underline between the words 'wind' and 'erosion' must be present.
You will be automatically be added to
the list from the address from which your message is sent.
Correspondence to the list will may be sent to:
wind_erosion@unicorn.acs.ttu.edu.
Further information may be sent to list manager Ted M. Zobeck at
tzobeck@lubbock.ars.ag.gov.

From: wstites@uwspmail.uwsp.edu
Message-Version: 2
Date: Thu Aug 18 14:10:59 CDT 1994
Ua-Content-Id: <PMX-LAN-2.2.1-******-uwspmail-wstites-27755>
End-Of-Header:
Email-Version: 2
Phone: 4501
Subject: Colozza's question
Ua-Message-Id: <PMXSTAR-2.2.1a-wstites-000000real-74>
To: soils-l@unl.edu
End-Of-Protocol:

wells in a floating sphagnum bog: (hoping the question is still
current)

Installing multilevel wells could be easy using a technique like that in
Stites, W. and Lucy C. Chambers. 1991. A method for installing miniature
multilevel sampling wells. Ground Water 29:430-432.

To summarize, this involves driving a temporary casing of plumbing pipe
into the substrate, inserting small flexible plastic tubing with
screened ends, and withdrawing the pipe. An expendable cover on the pipe
end keeps out the soil during driving.

This doesn't get you a core. Possibly you could use vibra-coring, where you
vibrate a 76-mm aluminum irrigation pipe down into the ground with an
apparatus based on a concrete vibrator. The pipes are available at least
up to 30 ft long. I've used it in dry sand and it worked fairly decently,
but below the water table we had trouble keeping the sample in while we
pulled up the pipe.

If this is of interest, feel free to contact me directly.

Will Stites
Central Wisconsin Groundwater Center
109 Nelson Hall, UW-Stevens Point
Stevens Point, Wisconsin 54481
715-346-4501
wstites@uwspmail.uwsp.edu
"Nature is perverse, especially soils." D. Kirkham, 1961. Soil physics
1936-1961 and a look ahead. Soil Sci. Soc. Am. P.25:423- 427.

From tmiller@bvu-lads.loral.com Tue Aug 30 03:09:32 1994
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 94 10:09:32 -0700
From: tmiller@bvu-lads.loral.com (Timothy Miller)
Subject: Status of Minnesota Digital Soil Survey Database

All,

I am intrested in digital version of soil survey of Minnesota counties. I
pulled the following list off Soil Science GOPHER at the University of
Minnesota. The list was compiled in 1992, and I'm woundering if the satus
of the digital survey status has changed, if their is an update list some
where else, or anyother information Minnesota county soil surveys??

LIST FROM SOIL SCIENCE GOPHER FROM THE U of MINNESOTA

Last updated: Fri Jan 31 07:35:24 CST 1992 By: John Ladwig

Survey Survey Digital Digital
County Status date Survey status Survey date
----------------------- -------------- ------- ------------- -----------
Aitkin In Progress
Anoka Published 1916*
Anoka Published 1977
Becker In Progress
Beltrami Complete Partial
Benton Published 1977 Finished
Big Stone Complete Finished
Blue Earth Published 1906*
Blue Earth Published 1979 Finished
Brown Published 1988 Finished
Carlton Area Published 1905*
Carlton Published 1978
Carver Published 1968 Finished
Cass Complete
Chippewa Published 1982 Finished
Chisago Complete Finished
Clay Published 1982
Clearwater In Progress
Cook No Survey
Cottonwood Published 1979 Finished
Crookston Area Published 1906*
Crow Wing Published 1965
Dakota Published 1960*
Dakota Published 1983
Dodge Published 1961 Finished
Douglas Published 1975 Finished
Fairbault Published 1957*
Fairbault Complete Finished
Fillmore Published 1958
Freeborn Published 1980
Goodhue Published 1913*
Goodhue Published 1976 Finished
Grant Published 1978
Hennepin Published 1929*
Hennepin Published 1974 Partial
Houston Published 1929*
Houston Published 1984 Finished
Hubbard Published 1930*
Hubbard In Progress
Isanti Published 1958
Itasca Published 1987 Partial
Jackson Published 1988 Finished
Kanabec Published 1930*
Kandiyohi Published 1987 Finished
Kawishiwi Area (BWCA) Published
Kittson Published 1979 Finished
Koochiching No Survey
Lac Qui Parle Published 1924*
Lac Qui Parle In Progress
Lake No Survey
Lake of the Woods Reconnaissance 1926*
Lake of the Woods Complete
Le Sueur Published 1954*
Le Sueur Published 1989 Finished
Lincoln Published 1970
Lyon Published 1979 Finished
Mahnomen In Progress In Progress
Marshall Area Published 1903*
Marshall In Progress
Martin Published 1989 Finished
McLeod Published 1955*
McLeod In Progress
Meeker In Progress
Mille Lacs Published 1927*
Mille Lacs No Survey
Morrison Complete
Mower Published 1989 Finished
Murray Complete Finished
Nicollet Complete 1958 Finished
Nobles Published 1975
Norman Published 1974 Finished
Olmsted Published 1980 Finished
Otter Tail In Progress
Pennington Published 1914*
Pennington Published 1984 Finished
Pine Published 1941*
Pipestone Published 1976 Finished
Polk In Progress
Pope Published 1972
Ramsey Published 1914*
Ramsey Published 1980 Finished
Red Lake No Survey
Red River Valley Area Reconnaissance 1939*
Redwood Published 1985 Finished
Renville In Progress
Rice Published 1909*
Rice Published 1975