From ab4el@ab4el.com Sat May 18 00:00 EDT 1996
From: Stephen Modena <modena@SunSITE.unc.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L LOG9601
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 00:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

This is the compendium of SALINITY-L digests for January 1996.

It was prepared from the daily digest mailings. Some digests
may be missing, because occasional mailings are lost en route.

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jan 8 17:06 EST 1996
Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:56:05 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 26

Contents:
Introduction to SALINITY-L (kwiatko@AGRIC.GOV.AB.CA)

Date: Mon, 8 Jan 1996 10:01:12 -0700
From: kwiatko@AGRIC.GOV.AB.CA
Subject: Introduction to SALINITY-L

TO: SAL-L1 INTERNET General Internet Address
KWIATKO AGEDM Kwiatkowski, Jan - Agrologist

FROM: KWIATKO AGEDM Kwiatkowski, Jan - Agrologist

DATE: January 8, 1996
SUBJECT: Introduction to SALINITY-L

Personal info:
- Jan Kwiatkowski, P.Ag. - (male)
Master of Science in Agriculture (Soil Science)
Live in Canada since 1990
Work with Alberta Agriculture (Provincial Government) since 1991
Born and educated in Poland (worked there for a quite a bit :) )

- I am involved in salinty problems for a few years (did not count yet).
I am a chain of a small team who developed standarized salinity
mapping methodology for the salinity areas. So far, I did 9 projects
throughout the province of Alberta, Canada (Canadian Prairies). I have
been involved in developing Pilot Project for Salinity Mapping for the
County of Vulcan, souther Alberta. Later, I did another 8 projects for
different parts of the province.
In addition, I was a part of another very small group of people who
developed Land System methodology for Alberta. I have contributed in
developing Pilot Land System Project for the County of Stettler and
later, I did a Land System for the County of Vulcan myself. I do not
want to talk too much about my previous experience because it is not
related directly to salinity problems but more to soil issues.

- Lately, I have designed and created Home Page on the Internet which is
entitled: "SalinityClassification, Mapping and Management in Alberta"
and everyone is greatly welcome to visit this Salinity Home Page at:

http://www.agric.gov.ab.ca/soil/salinity/

This Home Page presents criteria used in classifying salinity in
Alberta. Also, there are many figures and real pictures with landscape
features. You can also find a part of the salinity map (one township)
which is a part of the final product. This map is colour-coded and GIS
is a main tool in these projects.

- I am mainly interested in different salinity management practices.
Also, I am vitaly interested in computer modeling (is there a good
modelling package for salint purposes) and also in all aspects of the
soil, not exactly related to salinity :)

Regards
Jan Kwiatkowski

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Jan 10 17:46 EST 1996
Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 11:35:36 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 27

Contents:
Homepages for Salinity (a03mshannon@attmail.com (Michael Shannon))

Date: Wed, 10 Jan 1996 12:12:20 -0500
From: a03mshannon@attmail.com (Michael Shannon)
Subject: Homepages for Salinity

Welcome Jan Kwiatkowski!

The U.S. Salinity Lab is behind the game in getting a homepage
started, but we are currently constructing one and hope to be
up and running in a couple of months.

I am looking forward to seeing what you have and will pass
your site address on to our developers.

--------End of Unsent Message
Command: .

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu Jan 11 17:49 EST 1996
Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 11:38:16 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 28

Contents:
Re: Homepages for Salinity ("Kevin R. Wineinger" <phpkrw@gsusgi2.gsu.edu>)
Re: Homepages for Salinity (rsoppe@asrr.arsusda.gov (Richard Soppe))

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 09:08:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Kevin R. Wineinger" <phpkrw@gsusgi2.gsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Homepages for Salinity

Can some one tell me how to get off this list please.

Thank you
Kevin

Date: Thu, 11 Jan 1996 10:53:18 -0500
From: rsoppe@asrr.arsusda.gov (Richard Soppe)

>Can some one tell me how to get off this list please.

To unsubscribe from salinity-l, send a message to

LISTSERV@UNL.EDU

with in the body of the message

UNSUB salinity-l

For questions regarding the list that are not salt-related,
please contact me personnally: rsoppe@asrr.arsusda.gov.

Richard Soppe
Water Management Research lab
ARS/USDA phone: (209)453-3119

2021 S. Peach Ave fax: (209)453-3122

Fresno CA 93727-5951 http://asset.arsusda.gov/WMRL/WMRL.html

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Tue Jan 23 03:13 EST 1996
Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 21:02:48 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 29

Contents:
salinity in China ("Ken Buhr / KLB@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU on Internet" <KLB@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>)

Date: Mon, 22 Jan 1996 22:07:28 -0500 (EST)
From: "Ken Buhr / KLB@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU on Internet" <KLB@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
Subject: salinity in China

Folks,
I have gotten myself into a bit of a jam. I have been following
commodity prices (esp. grains) and started studying the China issues.
Then, I agreed to make a presentation about "trends [esp. those affecting
agriculture] shaping our future" and got myself into presenting something
in a seminar on the issue, including the role of China(!). I know very
little about China, never been there either.
I just found a web site for the Greatwall Netcenter, which may
be useful - have not checked it yet.
If there is someone on this list who knows something about the
salinity issue in China, I sure would like to hear more . . .
Thanks.
Ken Buhr
Agronomy, U of Florida.
KLB@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Jan 24 03:15 EST 1996
Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 21:03:20 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 30

Contents:
Re: salinity in China ("Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>)
Introduction message ("Mahmoud.Al-Sibai" <Mahmoud.Al-Sibai@newcastle.ac.uk>)
Re: salinity in China ("Ken Buhr / KLB@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU on Internet" <KLB@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>)

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 96 14:20:49 PST
From: "Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>
Subject: Re: salinity in China

I visited Ningxia, an autonomous republic wedged between the Gobi
desert and Inner Mongolia. It is a very arid area, but has an
extensive ag industry based on irrigation from the Huang He River.
After 2000 years of irrigation the salinity problems there is
extremely serious. What kind of details do you want?

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 19:23:12 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Mahmoud.Al-Sibai" <Mahmoud.Al-Sibai@newcastle.ac.uk>
Subject: Introduction message

Hello..

Tank you for subscribing me in SALINTY-L, I am glad to be in your group.

To introduce myself:

My name is Mahmoud Al-Sibai.
I am a PhD student in Newcastle upon Tyne university,U.K. , Dep. of civil
Eng.
I am doing my research in Intermittent Leaching, or more
precisely in solute transport under intermittent leaching.
The topics I like to see discussed are relating to salinity management and
leaching efficiency.
My work till now was dealing in salinity rather than sodicity.

I am looking forward to hear from you

Your's
M. Al-Sibai

Date: Tue, 23 Jan 1996 21:34:14 -0500 (EST)
From: "Ken Buhr / KLB@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU on Internet" <KLB@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>

Hi Marshall,
Sounds like you have good, first-hand info. The info I would like
would consist of the extent of salinity, what prospects are for slowing
and/or improving the situation. What area is affected and what impact
will that have on future crop production.

Yes, I would like to hear what you have to say.
Ken Buhr
Agronomy, UF
klb@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu Jan 25 03:14 EST 1996
Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 21:03:37 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 31

Contents:
Re[2]: salinity in China ("Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>)
Re: Re[2]: salinity in China ("Ken Buhr / KLB@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU on Internet" <KLB@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>)
Re[4]: salinity in China ("Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>)

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 96 09:09:52 PST
From: "Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>
Subject: Re[2]: salinity in China

The extent of the salinity problem was surprising. Approaching Ningxia
by train along the Yellow River the terrain sometimes looked snow
covered from the accumulation of salts on the surface. The ground was
absolutely impermeable in places due to the accumulation of sodium.
Crop production in much of the historically irrigated area had been
abandoned altogether, and crop production for the province as a whole
was about 50% below nominal levels as a consequence of salinity. The
primary problem was a failure to dispose of drainage water.

Give me a mailing adress and I will send some detailed materials.
Included will be a complete report on the situation by another fellow
from this university who also made the trip.

M.E.

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 1996 13:03:22 -0500 (EST)
From: "Ken Buhr / KLB@GNV.IFAS.UFL.EDU on Internet" <KLB@gnv.ifas.ufl.edu>
Subject: Re: Re[2]: salinity in China

Marshall,
Hi. Gosh, the salinity issue sounds as serious as some reports that
I was not sure whether I wanted to believe or not. The next question, is how
serious or how important is the salinity in this area to which you referred,
in the overall picture of agricultural production in China?

More later. Here
is my mailing address. I will be very grateful
for the help you can give.

Ken Buhr
Agronomy, University of Florida
2183 McCarty Hall
P.O. Box 110300
Gainesville, FL 32611
FAX (in case you have something in the future) 904-392-7248.

Also, one final question for today - is there anywhere in China where
they are successfully dealing with the salinity problem? If so, what are
they doing and what are the prospects for the future [feeding of the population].

Regards.

Date: Wed, 24 Jan 96 11:22:22 PST
From: "Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>
Subject: Re[4]: salinity in China

The area of reduced yields in Ningxia amounts to about 250,000 acres.
The area is just north of the provincial capital city of Yinchuan,
where the Yellow River (Huang He) spills into Inner Mongolia. Though I
did not see it all, I understand that the problem is extensive
throughout the lands that border on the Yellow River. It is an
important part of China's total resource of agricultural land, and has
been for about 2000 years. I have put a few items in the mail for
you.

M.E.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Tue Jan 30 14:23 EST 1996
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 08:09:08 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 32

Contents:
Re: Re[2]: salinity in China (elson@Civil01.coc.ufrj.br (Elson Nascimento))

Date: Tue, 30 Jan 1996 12:04:50 -0200
From: elson@Civil01.coc.ufrj.br (Elson Nascimento)

>The extent of the salinity problem was surprising. Approaching Ningxia
>by train along the Yellow River the terrain sometimes looked snow
>covered from the accumulation of salts on the surface. The ground was
>absolutely impermeable in places due to the accumulation of sodium.
>Crop production in much of the historically irrigated area had been
>abandoned altogether, and crop production for the province as a whole
>was about 50% below nominal levels as a consequence of salinity. The
>primary problem was a failure to dispose of drainage water.

>Give me a mailing adress and I will send some detailed materials.
>Included will be a complete report on the situation by another fellow
>from this university who also made the trip.

>M.E.

If possible I would like to receive the report.

Thanks,
Elson.

ELSON ANT0NIO DO NASCIMENTO
Alameda Sao Boaventura, 897/403