From ab4el@ab4el.com Sat May 18 00:00 EDT 1996
From: Stephen Modena <modena@SunSITE.unc.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L LOG9604
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 00:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

This is the compendium of SALINITY-L digests for April 1996.

It was prepared from the daily digest mailings. Some digests
may be missing, because occasional mailings are lost en route.

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu Apr 4 18:00 EST 1996
Date: Thu, 4 Apr 1996 16:51:40 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 42

Contents:
Salinity in wetlands (tim_mayer@mail.fws.gov)

Date: Thu, 04 Apr 96 14:21:24 MST
From: tim_mayer@mail.fws.gov
Subject: Salinity in wetlands

Hello,

My name is Tim Mayer and I am new to this list. I work as a
hydrologist for the US Fish and Wildlife Service in Portland, OR. I'm
hoping someone on this list can help me with a problem that we're
working on in our office. Many of our wildlife refuges are wetlands.
At several of these wetlands, we need to quantify the amount of water
needed to keep them healthy and functioning properly. We are using a
water budget to do this. The main consumptive use of water in the
wetlands is evapotranspiration, which we are attempting to model. But
we also feel that we should include some portion of the water budget
to maintain water quality. The question is how to quantify the amount
of water needed for this purpose.

I have an older study (1970) from wetlands adjacent to Salt Lake in N.
Utah that uses a salt balance along with a water balance to quantify
water quality requirements. I think this is equivalent to the
leaching requirement for irrigation. Of course, in Salt Lake, salinity
is going to be a major concern. Our wetlands are not that saline.
This is the only study that I have found that actually addresses and
quantifies water quality requirements for wetlands. It is the
approach we are tentatively using too.

My questions are:

1) Is there any information on the salt tolerance of wetland plants?
(the only information I have seen, for cattail and bulrush, suggests
that a marsh water EC of < 3 mmhos/cm is best - I think this is the
general recommendation for agricultural crops too, correct?).

2) Is there better approach for quantifying water quality
requirements in wetlands?

My apologies if this has already been discussed on this list.

Thanks,

Tim Mayer

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri Apr 5 18:01 EST 1996
Date: Fri, 5 Apr 1996 16:52:25 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 43

Contents:
Re: Salinity in wetlands ("Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>)

Date: Fri, 05 Apr 96 07:44:40 PST
From: "Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>
Subject: Re: Salinity in wetlands

Tim,

Why dont you make a trip to Corvallis and visit with the wetlands
people and the water quality and irrigation people in the Bioresource
Engineering Dept. I dont know if we can answer all your questions but
may be able to help on a few items. But it would be interesting for
both you and us to be in touch.

Marshall English
Bioresource Engineering
541-737-6308

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Apr 8 09:16 EDT 1996
Date: Mon, 8 Apr 1996 08:07:46 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 44

Contents:
Shooter Message (ypachepsky@asrr.arsusda.gov)

Date: Mon, 8 Apr 96 08:06:35 PDT
From: ypachepsky@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Shooter Message

International symposium on
Sustainable Management of
Salt Affected Soils in the arid Ecosystems.
Cairo, Egypt
22-27 September 1997

Scientific program

1. Land capability classification in view
of their reclamation and management
2. The effect on soil chemical and physical properties
with relation to management
3. Fertility management
4. Management practices with the use of saline water for irrigation
5. Water quality and methods of predicting and prreventing
the hazard of salinity
Soil drainage
7. Cropping systems and the use of lallophytes
and other salt-tolerant plant

Pre- and post-symposium field excursions and tours are planned

The following preliminary reply card has to be sent in April:

Name
Title
Postal address
Country
Fax
Hope to participate sypmosium yes no
Interested to present a paper yes no
Provisional title if yes

Contact Prof. Dr. A.M.Elgala,
Chairman of the Organizing Comittee
Dept of Soil Science
Faculty of Agriculture
Ain Shams University, P.O. Box 68
Hadayek Shobra, 11241, Cairo, Egypt
Fax 202 221 44 61
Phone 202 221 04 59

Name: yakov pachepsky
E-mail: ypachepsky@asrr.arsusda.gov (yakov pachepsky)
USDA:ARS:BA:NRI:RMSL
Bldg 007 Rm 008 BARC-WEST
Beltsville, MD 20705
Tel 301-504-74-68
Fax 301-504-58-23

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Tue Apr 9 09:16 EDT 1996
Date: Tue, 9 Apr 1996 08:08:46 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 45

Contents:
Re: Shooter Message ("Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>)

Date: Mon, 08 Apr 96 07:16:35 PST
From: "Marshall J. English" <englishm@ccmail.orst.edu>
Subject: Re: Shooter Message

Is this symposium in conjunction with the ICID Congress?

Marshall English

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Apr 10 09:17 EDT 1996
Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 08:09:31 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 46

Introduction (mlw@aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU (Mark Wood))

Date: Tue, 09 Apr 96 13:44:46 MST
From: tim_mayer@mail.fws.gov

Mike,

Thanks for the suggestions for contacts. The study I mentioned is
entitled:

"Water Requirements for Waterfowl Marshlands in Northern Utah"
J.E. Christiansen and J.B. Low, Publication No. 69-12, Utah Division
of Fish and Game, 1970.

They have a section on salt tolerance of marsh plants, specifically
cattail (Typha), hardstem and alkali bulrush (Scirpus), and sago
pondweed (Potamogeton). These are some of the species we're
interested in. If you have any other information on these plant
species, I would appreciate hearing about it.

The impression I have from the literature is that the salt tolerance
of wetland plants varies with growth stage. Many of the plants can
persist in saline conditions but growth and reproduction are adversely
affected. (tuber growth of Sago pondweed seems to be an exception to
this generalization). Estimates of the maximum tolerable salinity of
wetland plants range from 2 to 4 mmhos/cm. Frequently, we're using
this information to quantify water requirements for water rights and
my feeling is our goal should be to optimize wetland health and
productivity. Therefore, I lean toward using criteria at the lower
end of the range.

Tim

Date: Wed, 10 Apr 1996 13:41:50 +1100
From: mlw@aqua.civag.unimelb.EDU.AU (Mark Wood)
Subject: Introduction

Hi all,

Just sending out a brief introduction so that you know who I am and, in
general, what I am up to.

My name is Mark Wood and I am a civil engineer and am currently involved in
a research project which is looking at on-farm water use practices in South
Eastern Australia. I work within the Department of Civil and Environmental
Engineering at the University of Melbourne.

The main practical aim of the above project is to develop a pc based
program that advises farmers when they should be applying irrigations. We
currently have five field sites trialling the system which includes soil
moisture sensors in the field which can be accessed remotely. I am working
with flood irrigated border checked pastures used as feed for dairy stock.
In general farmers have little control on the volumes of water applied to
irrigation bays and so initially we are targeting irrigation timing. Another
restriction on the program is that water orders must be placed 4 days in
advance of use, which means we are also developing a forecasting tool to
estimate plant water use 4 days in advance. It is based on short range
forecasts from the Bureau of Meterology.

How does all this relate to salinity?

Much of the region in which I work has large scale salinity problems.
Particularly in areas around Kerang in Northern Victoria a lot of previously
productive land is now lost to salinity. The problem in these irrigated
areas has resulted from the clearing of deep rooted native vegetation and
the introduction of irrigation both contributing to a rise in the regions
watertables. I see the relevance of this project to salinity as increasing
the awareness of the dariy farming community (and more generally the wider
irrigation community) to new technology which can aid irrigation decision
making and reduce wasteful accessions to the water tables. NOTE: of course
there are other implications of the technology.

There is however much more going on in the region that is looking at
tackling both dryland and irrigation salinity. In most salt affected regions
across the state catchment based salinity action plans have been
implemented. In irrigated areas these plans are generally approaching the
salinity problem by intiating:

1. whole farms plans (including laser grading and reuse systems)
2. public and private groundwater pumping
3. subsurface drainage
4. surface drainage
5. environmental programs (including the protection and creation of high
value wetlands and tree planting programs)

Enough for now, but I look forward to contributing in the future.

Mark

PS. Some of this will be repeated on the Irrigation-L list
Mark Wood

Department of Civil & Environmental Engineering
University of Melbourne

Parkville, Victoria 3052

Australia

Email: mlw@civag.unimelb.edu.au

Phone: (03) 9344 6638

Fax: (03) 9344 6215

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri Apr 12 03:18 EDT 1996
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 02:10:36 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 47

Contents:
models based on structural stability (Giuseppina Crescimanno <00261aaa@mbox.it.net>)

Date: Fri, 12 Apr 1996 09:17:49 +0200 (MET DST)
From: Giuseppina Crescimanno <00261aaa@mbox.it.net>
Subject: models based on structural stability

To the recipients of the salinity list:

I am looking for agricultural models which contain some index of soil
structural stability as input. thank you in advance, Giuseppina Crescimanno

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri Apr 19 07:24 EDT 1996
Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 06:15:58 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 48

Contents:
WHAT ARE MICROVAL/g? (casaix@ci.uminho.pt)

Date: Fri, 19 Apr 1996 12:26:08 -0700
From: casaix@ci.uminho.pt
Subject: WHAT ARE MICROVAL/g?

Hello to you all,
The other day I found a paper in which the ionic concentration were expressed in
microval/g. Does anybody knows this unit and its relation to other concentration
units?
Regards
Carlos Alves
Portugal

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Apr 29 09:54 EDT 1996
Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 08:46:17 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 49

Contents:
Introdution (btoma@mail.techplus.com (Bob Toma))

Date: Mon, 29 Apr 1996 08:33:41 -0500
From: btoma@mail.techplus.com (Bob Toma)
Subject: Introdution

My name is Bob Toma.

I work at the "Manitoba Crop Diversification Centre" in Carberry Manitoba,
Canada.

The Centre focuses on looking at other crops that can be grown in the province
other than the Grains.

The Centre sits on a very large aquifer so you have three irrigation pivots
and two laterals. The main crop that is grown in the area is potatoes and so
looking for other crops along with different markets creates our biggest
challenge.

The biggest reason why I joined this list is because of are other challenge.

The Town of Carberry has a population of about 1600 people and disposes of
it's effluent from there lagoons by irrigating forage land. Which for all
intensive purposes is working well except they are concerned with the build
up of clorides in the soil due to water softners. So as well as looking for
salt tolerant crops we are also looking for something that will take up the
salt.

I look forward to all your comments.

Bob Toma
Tech Ag.