From ab4el@ab4el.com Sat May 18 00:00 EDT 1996
From: Stephen Modena <modena@SunSITE.unc.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L LOG9605
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 00:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

This is the compendium of SALINITY-L digests for May 1996.

It was prepared from the daily digest mailings. Some digests
may be missing, because occasional mailings are lost en route.

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed May 1 09:55 EDT 1996
Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 08:46:45 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 50

Contents:
(btoma@mail.techplus.com (Bob Toma))

Date: Wed, 1 May 1996 08:46:50 -0500
From: btoma@mail.techplus.com (Bob Toma)

Hi from SUNNY Manitoba.

We are finally loosing the last of are snow and it's starting to warm up.

I have a couple of question for you all.

Is there anybody working with Astragalus spp. or other spieses which retain
salt and Phalaris spp. in higher salt areas?

Bob Toma
M.C.D.C.
Caberry Manitoba
Canada

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri May 3 18:23 EDT 1996
Date: Fri, 3 May 1996 17:15:15 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 51

Contents:
Bio (Carl Spiva <cspiva@ainet.com>)

Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 15:05:47 -0500
From: Carl Spiva <cspiva@ainet.com>
Subject: Bio

I have been a consulting agronomist here in the West since 1980, after
several years as Chief Agronomist for Occidental Chemical Co.
My major interestis in soil fertility and water management; hence my
request for LISTSERV subscription. I'm a product of U.C., Davis (a
hundred years ago!)with graduate work in Agribusiness.

Carl P. Spiva
Agronomist/Consultant
1101 Stratford Lane
Modesto, CA 95350-1664
209-529-5560

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sat May 4 18:24 EDT 1996
Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 17:15:55 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 52

Contents:
Bio (DIRTDR@delphi.com)
Re: Bio (Carl Spiva <cspiva@ainet.com>)

Date: Fri, 03 May 1996 23:38:17 -0500 (EST)
From: DIRTDR@delphi.com

> I have been a consulting agronomist here in the West since 1980, after
> several years as Chief Agronomist for Occidental Chemical Co.
> My major interestis in soil fertility and water management; hence my
> request for LISTSERV subscription. I'm a product of U.C., Davis (a
> hundred years ago!)with graduate work in Agribusiness.
>
> Carl P. Spiva
> Agronomist/Consultant
> 1101 Stratford Lane
> Modesto, CA 95350-1664
> 209-529-5560

Hello Carl!!

Nice to hear from an "old west agronomist".

John M. Edminster
California Farm Laboratories, Inc./Summit Laboratory
dirtdr@delphi.com
Summitlab@ocsnet.net

Date: Sat, 04 May 1996 11:45:40 -0700
From: Carl Spiva <cspiva@ainet.com>
Subject: Re: Bio

John:
What a nice surprise! Love your Email handle! Jim Thorup had SOIL
DOC for a license plate several years ago.
What are you doing these days? Last I heard you were farming in
Belize. I spent 3 weeks in Honduras in '89 for Dole (Standard Fruit) on
their water infiltration problems. 8,000 acres of contiguous bananas;
that's a lot of bananas!
I'm scaling back my practice; just "pickin' a few plumbs" now!
Teaching the Certified Crop Adviser Prep. Course regularly.
Love to hear what you've been up to!
Carl

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sun May 5 18:25 EDT 1996
Date: Sun, 5 May 1996 17:16:23 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 53

Contents:
GROUNDWATER Listserv (KenBannister@groundwater.com (Kenneth E. Bannister))

Date: Sat, 4 May 1996 22:59:47 -0400 (EDT)
From: KenBannister@groundwater.com (Kenneth E. Bannister)
Subject: GROUNDWATER Listserv

ANNOUNCING: GROUNDWATER and GROUNDWATER-DIGEST

New Internet Mailing Lists

Please join our global discussion group on groundwater and related topics.

There are over 1100 members worldwide, with many USGS, EPA and Corps of
Engineers members. If you have a groundwater question, we can help.

GROUNDWATER

To subscribe to GROUNDWATER send e-mail to:

majordomo@ias.champlain.edu

In the body of the e-mail type the command:

subscribe GROUNDWATER

SOME RECENT TOPICS COVERED IN GROUNDWATER
groundwater-digest Friday, 26 April 1996 Volume 01 : Number 073

variable DO values
Re: Documented impacts of feedlots and dairies on ground water
volatile contaminant extraction
Re: REFERENCES FOR SURFACE AND SUBSURFACE MODELS
UN-GWW
FW: NGWA Computer Workshop
RE: UN-GWW - Attention: Maina-Gichaba
CREAMS and GLEAMS
water ages

groundwater-digest Monday, 22 April 1996 Volume 01 : Number 071

Where to drill groundwater well
Re: Logon's approximation
Re: contaminant retardation factors
Re: Where? EPA reports?
groudnwater cost estimating
Large groundwater data mgmt deal
Re: Richard's equation
Paradioxane remediation
Distance Learning Courses in Subsurface Hydrology
REFERENCES FOR SURFACE AND SUBSURFACE MODELS
Re: WHAT ARE MICROVAL/g?
RETC Code etc.

groundwater-digest Wednesday, 17 April 1996 Volume 01 : Number 068

TROXLER Sentry 200-AP
Dissolved Air Flotation
Automation of groundwater readings
MODELING SHORT COURSE ANNOUNCEMENT
Deuterated-BTEX Tracers
Re: Oxidative coupling?
Data Management Software
Re: water ages
Re: Surface seals of wells and pollution
Deuterated organics correction

GROUNDWATER-DIGEST

For those of you concerned with the high traffic on this list, the list is
digested,you will get about one mail per day with all posts and the headers
cut out. It is packed up by size. When the list gets over 40,000 characters
it puts all the messages
together, ships it off to any subscribers, and puts it in the
archive directory.

You can see that we have several archives(over 70) so far by sending the
following in
the body of a message: index groundwater
to: listserv@ias.champlain.edu
(or index groundwater-digest. They are the same for archiving)

Then by sending 'get groundwater v01.n001' (no quotes) to the
listserv you will get the first archive.

To subscribe to GROUNDWATER-DIGEST send e-mail to:

majordomo@ias.champlain.edu

In the body of the message type:

subscribe GROUNDWATER-DIGEST

(no need for address or name in this command)

Our listserv program does not have a "SET" command, you must SUBSCRIBE to
get the digest.

We hope to see you on our list.

Kenneth E. Bannister
President - BANNISTER RESEARCH & CONSULTING
Owner - GROUNDWATER-DIGEST Mailing List
http://www.sover.net/~dowser/ KenBannister@groundwater.com
Companies don't create leaders,customers do.(Ries & Trout 1986)

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon May 6 22:38 EDT 1996
Date: Mon, 6 May 1996 21:26:00 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 54

Contents:
USSL Home Page (a03mshannon@attmail.com (Michael Shannon))

Date: Mon, 06 May 1996 22:24:04 -0500
From: a03mshannon@attmail.com (Michael Shannon)
Subject: USSL Home Page

The US Salinity Lab home page is now a reality.

Let me know if you have any suggestions for its improvement.

You can find it at http\\www.ussl.ars.usda.gov

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu May 9 09:41 EDT 1996
Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 08:30:17 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 55

Contents:
Re: USSL Home Page (stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de (Thomas-M. Stein))

Date: Thu, 9 May 1996 15:35:25 +0200 (MES)
From: stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de (Thomas-M. Stein)
Subject: Re: USSL Home Page

Dear Mr. Shannon,

Its good to see you on the net !

>The US Salinity Lab home page is now a reality.

I am maintaining the Virtual Library Irrigation with the URL:

http://www.wiz.uni-kassel.de/kww/irrig_i.html

I have added two links from the VL and a few lines of information
to your site under the topics of:

o Irrigation and Salinity
o Irrigation Organisations and Institutes

Please check those links and entries for correctness. If you would like to
see different links or information to be added please just let me know.

>Let me know if you have any suggestions for its improvement.

For us Europeans (I guess other countries as well) it sometime takes
ages to load your home page (sometimes we even don't get those images
at all due to a timeout). Maybe it would be good to reduce the
graphical load on the first page.

Best regards

Thomas Stein

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri May 17 17:19 EDT 1996
Date: Fri, 17 May 1996 16:08:46 -0500
To: Multiple recipients of list <salinity-l@unl.edu>
Subject: SALINITY-L digest 56

Contents:
Introduction ((Sarah Katherine Lord) <sl982577@lance.colostate.edu>)

Date: Fri, 17 May 96 15:14:34 -0600
From: (Sarah Katherine Lord) <sl982577@lance.colostate.edu>
Subject: Introduction

I'm new - so here is my introduction:

Who am I? A 23 year old masters student at Colorado State University
in Fort Collins, Colorado.

What part of the World am I from? I've lived in the US all my life so
I am not as familiar with salinity issues in other countries (other
that what I have learned in classes).

Why am I interested in Salinity-L? I am doing my research in salinity
problems on the South Platte River. I am basically quantifying the
problem, but I would also like to trace the problem and then target
future research and suggested management practices to reduce or deal
with salinity levels. The main problem here is agriculture with
increasing population growth nearer the headwaters (Denver - Front
Range). I really just want to see what is going on elsewhere and maybe
get some pointers and suggestions.

What is my experience with salinity problems? No practical experience
really, as I am still a student. My research is my main experience
(and visits with farmers, etc.)

Specific questions or topics? For future's sake, is it more important
to protect the irrigated soils or the water body itself? Is there some
sort of ag management practice that could find a middle ground in both?

End of Digest

Prepared by Steve Modena, AB4EL.
Comments and suggestions to: modena@SUNsite.unc.edu