From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jul 3 21:51 EDT 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 20:51:44 -0500
From: listserv@unl.edu
Subject: GET TRICKLE-L LOG9412

Archive TRICKLE-L: file log9412, part 1/1, size 65874 bytes:

Date: Fri, 02 Dec 1994 15:17:40 +0930
From: meissner.tony@wpo.pi.sa.gov.au
Subject: About me

Hello there,
Let me introduce myself. My name is Tony Meissner. I work at the
Loxton Research Centre, Loxton Sth. Aust, Australia. Loxton is on
the R. Murray. The principla activity in the area is irrigated
horticulture, mainly vineyards nad citrus. I work for the South
Australian Research & Development Institute. My current field of
study is on irrigation efficiency.

I am new to subsurface irrigation (SSI) and by reading the mail I
hope to learn more. I am about to make an application for funding to
undertake drip and SSI research.

I would also welcome any mail on irrigation in general. if there are
any irrigation discussuion lists could you let me know.

Cheers
Tony M :-)
* Tony Meissner *
* Senior Research Scientist (Soils) *
* SA Research & Development Institute *
* PO Box 411, Loxton SA, Australia 5333 *
* Tel. 085 85 9146 *
* Fax: 085 85 9199 *
* email Meissner.Tony@pi.sa.gov.au *

From WEB06064@ix.netcom.com Thu Dec 1 22:07:45 1994
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 1994 06:07:45 -0800
From: WEB06064@ix.netcom.com (Warren Becker)
Subject: Re: pulsed drip irrigation

Dear Richard (the curious),

You have certainly enlightened me as to what we were doing wrong on our
fertigation/chimigation programs. The new farm will have the pulsed
fertilization at the pump house. Could you point me in the direction
for more reading?
On the second pulsing - pulsing at the head of each drip line: The
reference is "Using pulsators for drip irrigation" published in the
International Water and Irritation Review. Article is by Dr. Y. Shoub
(Hebrew University, Renovot, Israel) and J. Levin (Lego). Pulsator
gives 60-70 pulses per minute. I quote:
"The flow rate of the previous gereration emitters was in the range of
1-4 liters/hour/emitter. Flow rates in this range result in excessively
rapid movement of water from the point water source (the emitter) to the
bottom of the growth container. This rapid movement stems from the rate
of release of the drops of water and from the effect of gravity. Hence,
the accumulation of water at the bottom of the growth container promotes
lateral water spread. In soils irrigated by drip systems, as also in
container media, the water forms a wetted "stain" characterized by its
"onion" shape. The stain, which has a broad base, gradually spreads
upwards during the course of the irrigation and continues to do so after
its conclusion. The upward and lateral water movement forms a layer in
which the concentration of fertilizers and salts increases in comparison
with their concentration in the center of the onion, a characteristic
for both in drip-irrigated soils and in plant container media. In
contrast, in the pulse irrigation system, the flow rate of the secondary
emitters ranges from 100-200 cc/hour, according to the number of
secondary emitters for each pulsator, the release of the drops of water
from the secondary emitter is slow and the movement of water in the soil
is threfore only partly influenced by gravity forces, or is at least
influenced to a lesser degree than in a conventional drip irrigation
system. The major part of the water movement is lateral and not
vertical. The principal movement of water is uniform across the entire
width of the medium in the growth container, irrespective of whether the
medium in the initial stage is dry of moist. This water monement is
referred to as "piston movement" (i.e. lateral and a gradual
infiltration movement) as against "tubular movement" which characterizes
the movement of water in the conventional drip irrigation system.
Other advantages inherent in the low flow rate of the pulsators are as
follows:
a) it enables small diameter mains to be used for conveyance of water to
relatively large plots and SIMULTANEOUS IRRITATION OF LARGE AREAS AT
MAXIMUM UNIFORMITY (Warren's emphasis).
b) It avoids run-off at the end of the irrigation from the pulsators and
secondary drip emitters. Owing to its mode of activation and shut-off,
THE ENTIRE IRRIGATION SYSTEM BEGINS TO OPERATE INSTANTANEOULSY AND
UNIFORMLY WHEN THE SYSTEM IS ACTIVATED" (Warren's emphasis).

The article goes on but these are the points. Lego is the manufacturer.
As the philosopher says, "in the fullness of time" I will do a trial.
But before beginning, I was looking for whatever
feedback/opinion/thoughts that might be lurking in the nooks and
crannies of the internet.

Bers regards,

Warren

From redling@gumbo.bae.lsu.edu Fri Dec 2 03:18:18 1994
Date: Fri, 2 Dec 94 09:18:18 CST
From: redling@gumbo.bae.lsu.edu (Robert Edling)

Greeting:
I thought I would get into the discussion also. My name is Bob Edling. I work
in research and teching of soil and water related topics at Louisiana State
University in Baton Rouge, Louisiana. MY major interest is irrigation design
and management. I work with micro irrigation fertilization among other things.
There are tow types of pulses that you all have been talking about. The pulse
from the injection, that may also be a continuous flow and pulsing at the emitter point in some fashion. The latest device that I know of that pulses is a micro sprayer that has a little chamber that fills,closes and discharges. Because
of the pulsing the overall flowrate is reduced and more devices can be put on
one line. These devices are however only for what is known as point source
emission, not for row crop, such as brocolli. I use a positive dispalcement
pump that has an adjustable volume and is 110 ac powered to inject fertilizer
on bell peppers and some other crops, mostly with good success.
Some of you might be interested in the Fifth International Microirrigation
Congress to be held in Orlando, Florida, April 2-6, 1995. There will be concurrent presentations and a published proceedings available at the meeting. Also.
most everyone there enjoy talking about irrigation. I believe there will also
be a trade show/exhibit.
Have followed the discussion for a few days and am in general agreement with
everything covered by way of recommendations for information, etc. CIT at Fesno
is very good and most companies will give good information, at least up to a
point where a sale might cloud the issue.
Would enjoy hearing from any of you, either with rgards to anything I have
mentioned or anything else having to do with my interests.

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sat Dec 3 07:58:55 1994
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 12:58:55 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: pulsed irrig. discussion

Regarding Warren's discussion on "Using pulsators for drip irrigation":
Do you know what type of medium was used in the growth containers and how big
the growth containers were? Sounds like it maybe sandy/vermiculite mix???
Sounds like the Israeli system is actually two systems in one.
Of course this would not be practical on a large scale/field system (or would
it??), yet the basic idea could be applied. Instead of having a system
approach (irrigation and specific pulses of fertilizer),
I think the way I would handle it would be management via the high frequency
irrigation system..which our lab recommends. To review this idea again, there
are numerous irrigations per day with HFSD (high frequency subsurface drip).
If there is an 8 mm day (1/3 inch) for example, you would split the
irrigations into 4 or 8 seperate irrigations of 2 or 1 mm, respectively.
Knowing that uniformity on large farms would be a problem (i.e. turning the
system on/off many times), one would choose the most efficient length of run
for the shortest length of time. So what is done using HFSD is very similar
to the secondary emitters/pulsator action that Warren discussed. Hence,the
major part of the water movement is lateral and not vertical. However, soil
type plays a major role. Our HFSD research involved a clay loam soil. Perhaps
on a sandy loam soil, the lateral movement would not be as affective. Perhaps
one could use the vectored irrigation method if "tubular movement" was
severe.

Regarding Bob Edlings reply:
I would like to know which device in particular that you are using which uses
the positive displacement concept...Hutchings, Dositron, other...?
Our Hutching devices have diaphramed heads which bring certain percentages of
20 or 40 mls (small and large heads, depending on what is needed/purchased)
and positively displace that alotment of fertilizer into the running system
AT the manifold/head end. There are different heads for acids (phos-acid,
sulfuric, N-phuric) and normal heads for usual fertilizers (CAN-17).

Fertigation is a frontier in subsurface drip that has'nt really been explored
too much. I know that Howard Wertz at Sundance Farms (Arizona) can adjust
harvest dates of certain crops by influencing the amount of fertilizer in the
irrigation system, ( I assume levels of P and maybe N). This could be a
critical economic advantage if one knows what he/she is doing. If I get any
info on the Sundance system regarding fertigation, I'll be sure to pass it
on.

Richard Mead
List owner

From AGPR@aol.com Sat Dec 3 15:06:46 1994
Date: Sat, 3 Dec 1994 20:06:46 -0500
From: AGPR@aol.com
Subject: Re: pulsed irrig. discussion

Richard, I've been following this thread and it reminds me of something I've
often thought, but not written...

I want you to know that I monitor a wide number of agricultural listservs and
YOU are by far and away one of the top list owner/discussion
promoters/information providers on Internet. Congratulations and keep up the g
ood work. All of us who subscribe benefit from your hard work!

Sincerely,

Warren E. Clark
President
Clark Consulting International, Inc.
14N921 Lac Du Beatrice
West Dundee, IL 60118-3115
Tel: 708-836-5100
Fax: 708-836-5140
Internet: AGPR@aol.com

**Providing worldwide agricultural/food editorial, public relations and
marketing consulting services.**

From MEAD2513@aol.com Wed Dec 3 19:38:37 1994
Date: Sun, 4 Dec 1994 00:38:37 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com

Dear Warren Clark:
Thanks!
There will be even more in the future...stay tuned!!
R. Mead
List owner

From MEAD2513@aol.com Tue Dec 6 18:14:06 1994
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 23:14:06 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Grape grower response

I don't know if this got posted on Trickle-l, so I thought I'd post it to all
just in case.
R. Mead

Date: Tue, Dec 6, 1994 4:17 PM EDT
From: GrapeGrowr
Subj: RESPONSE TO NEW MEMBER QUESTIONS

My name is Robert Carian. I have been a table grape farmer for all my adult
life. My family has been growing table grapes in the Coachella Valley Calif.
since 1932. I use drip irrigation on all my vineyards. I first installed
drip on our vineyards in the early 1970s. All of my drip is surface. I use
pulse irrigation at all times when feasible. I fertigate at all times, when
fertilizing. I use Israeli made TMB injection pumps. I use all forms of
liquid N (UN32 - AN20 - CAN17). For P, I use either a 33% or a 52% liquid
form of Phosphoric Acid. For K, I use Potassium Sulfate or Potassium
Nitrate. I also run limited amounts of zinc or iron through the drip. I
have a high N content in the water on one of our ranches that presents a
problem of nitrogen toxicicity in early spring if conditions are right.
Depending on the time of the year, I either pulse many times per day or I
deep irrigate with many days between irrigations. I used to have coyote
damage to my drip lines as the thirsty animals would chew the hose and suck
out any wter, creating much repair and maintenience. I hung the hoses on a
high tinsile wire, and added an extra emmiter at the corner of each block to
drip into a 5 gallon bucket buried so the top lip[ is about 6 inches above
ground. My normal irrigation would keep the bucket full and we no longer
suffer any damage. I have the uniformity of my drip systems tested at least
every 2 years by the USDA soil conservation service.

From MEAD2513@aol.com Tue Dec 6 18:14:24 1994
Date: Tue, 6 Dec 1994 23:14:24 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Robert Carian response

Dear Robert,
Thanks for your response!
I was wondering three things while reading your note:
1) Do you use dry KNO3 then mix with water, or is there a liquid source?
2) Have you ever thought of burying some of your drip lines to see if you
would get a better response from your vines?
3) How do you schedule an irrigation? Calendar, soil test, neutron probe?

Always curious,
Richard Mead
List owner

From Zax0114@aol.com Tue Dec 6 19:07:35 1994
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 00:07:35 -0500
From: Zax0114@aol.com
Subject: Re: subsurface/root intrusion methods

Great review of chemical treatments to prevent root intrusion in subsurface
drip systems! We have installed SDI on about 100 acres of winegrapes in Napa
Valley. The vineyard was planted and the system was installed in 1994. So
far so good. We are quite concerned about root intrusion and general decline
in flows. As a check, we have installed flow meters on individual lines
including checks above ground to make sure that the emitters aren't clogging
from some source other than root intrusion. The vines grew like weeds. It
is difficult to know how much the SDI had to do with this phenomenal success.
We are using Netafim hose, which as described, are not treated with
herbicide. Following the current fashion we have been irrigating much more
often than normal with the idea of avoiding root intrusion. Two comments -
1. eventually we have to cut back the irrigation as the vines have to mature
or "harden off" before the fall/winter frost and 2. for wine quality, we
can't be irrigating while the grapes are ripening as this will delay the
maturity process and reduce the quality of the crop. If we cut back on
irrigation late in the season, do we still run the risk of root intrusion?
If so, would mini-irrigations, set to keep the area around the emitter
saturated but at small enough volumes to not cause a vine response be an
effective alternative to year round irrigation? We will consider the
chemical treatment route as well.

I'll keep the group posted of any results we get from our measurements.

Zach Berkowitz
Domaine Chandon (winery)
(707) 944-8844
(707) 944-1123 fax
zachb@community.net

From GrapeGrowr@aol.com Wed Dec 7 11:06:05 1994
Date: Wed, 7 Dec 1994 16:06:05 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Robert Carian response

I use dry KNO3. I mix with a vortex mixer. It's much cheaper. I've always
been afraid of root intrusion so I've not tried it yet. I schedule
irrigation from experience and on site visual inspections. I've used infered
temp. guns about 12 years ago and found that it more or less just confirmed
what experience told us at each ranch site.

I would like to get a list of the other people on your list. Can you provide
this to me? R. Cariasn

From MEAD2513@aol.com Thu Dec 8 16:43:24 1994
Date: Thu, 8 Dec 1994 21:43:24 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com

Regarding:>I would like to get a list of the other people on your list. Can
you provide
this to me? R. Cariasn <

You can do this from your computer..it's kind of fun actually.
Just send the command: Rev Trickle-l

Listserv@unl.edu

Within a few minutes to few hours (depending on how busy things are) you will
get a complete and updated list of who is on our Trickle-l list. As of last
count we have 136 members.
Try the above commands and let me know if you have problems.

Richard Mead
List owner

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sun Dec 11 16:34:52 1994
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 21:34:52 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: wine grape root intrusion/Z. Berkowitz

I have some comments and questions concerning Z. Berkowitz
posting from Dec.7.
First the questions:
1) What is the pH of and calcite (CaCO3) concentration of your water??
2) Did you install pressure gauges too?

Comments: I don't know what to tell you for root intrusion prevention on your
grapes. One could send something like N-PHURIC to shock the
system/roots.....just enough to burn off the roots that would still be
growing once the system was turned off until leaf fall. An acidic chemical
would be the only "chemical" I would think of, yet this might pose a
temporary manganese, aluminum or iron toxicity problem which could affect the
wine quality. This is only hypothetical mind you!
Some organic minded folks in earlier months stated that CuSO4 might be a
compound introduced to slow/stop root intrusion. To be honest, the jury is
still out on your particular situation as far as I know. Any takers out there
in wine country???

R. Mead
List owner

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sun Dec 11 16:31:49 1994
Date: Sun, 11 Dec 1994 21:31:49 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: re:Bob Edling comments Dec 9

Bob,
Thanks for your comments! Questions abound...

1) Could you give the address as to where Inject-O-Meter company exists?
and..how much can one stroke of this meter injected/stroke?
2) Do you 'sub-up' your bell peppers for germination or sprinkle them?
3) How long do you leave the tape in the ground at 8 inches? (>1 year?)
4) Finally, what exactly do the fire ants do?

Thanks again for contributing!

R. Mead
List owner

From WEB060644@aol.com Mon Dec 12 04:38:10 1994
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 09:38:10 -0500
From: WEB060644@aol.com

I do not know the soil type used by Lego in the pulsed drippers but would
think that your assumption would be correct. For myself, the Costa Rica
farm's soil is volcanic with light loam - not great drainage but not bad,
better than we had in Kenya. While I feel the "secondary/emitter pulsing"
idea may have some merit for further exploration, I do not see it as a
economic option for large scale farming. However, I wonder...?
I am a new subscriber to your service so am sure that I shall repeat
questions previously discussed. Please bear with me. In using the HFSD
pulsed irrigation/fertigation/chemigation on a large scale farm, would one
irrigate one area of, say, 2 hectares for, say, 10 minutes then switch to
another area for a like time, rotating around the fields then returning back
to the beginning and beginning the cycle again? That is, does pulsed irrigati
on equal cycled irrigation? Is this the pulsing? Or (and?) is the pulsing
the injection of the fertilizer and/or soluble chemicals into the irrigation
stream back at the pump house?
I think that I am confusing these three: 1) pulsing by switching irrigation
zones, 2) pulsing by injection into the water stream, 3) pulsing at the
dripper/dripline or sprinkler/mister.
Sorry to belabour this but I do want to incorporate this into our planning.
If you (or any reasonable number of subscribers) would like a fax copy of the
Lego reprint, just let me know.

Best regards,
Warren E. Becker
web06064@ix.netcom.com (checked daily)
web060644@aol.com (checked every so often)

PS I don't have the letter in front of me but I really appreciate the idea of
collecting the water from the last emitter for the beasties to drink.
Thanks.
WEB

From redling@gumbo.bae.lsu.edu Mon Dec 12 02:52:08 1994
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 94 08:52:08 CST
From: redling@gumbo.bae.lsu.edu (Robert Edling)

1. The 1993 Thomas Register has Inject-O-Meter Mfg Co at 820-T Thornton St Clovis NM, 88101 phone # 505 763-4461. The injection amount adjustment is on an
eccentric so there is a wide range of flow rates available. I am sorry that
I can't give you the range but I can remembe being pleased at the range when I
first started using the injector.
2. We transplanted the bell peppers, which is common practive here, especially for the spring-early summer crop that comes on in late-May to last of June. We do
have a machinery type here that has done work with direct seeding, although I`m
not sure with bell pepper. He has had a fairly high degree of sucess with direct seeding of at least some crops. If there are specific questions I will try
to get them answered. I did try too germinate some seeds from buried drip tape
with some sucess, this I'm sure will vary with soil type but I felt that there
is potential to do that. The spacing of the seed/outlets are important also as is
the rate and time of application of water.
3. We did not do an extended duration test because of the lack of a local rotation of crops through each season so the test was discontinued. However, there is
at least one extended duration buried tape research test in existence. It is being done at Bradenton Fl. THe researcher that started the test has since moved
to Kansas State but if there is interest I will check on the status of the Bradebton tests. I would think that Gary Clark, the researcher that moved, will report on the tests at the meeting in Orlando in April 1995.
4. The fire ants eat out and enlarge the holes in the drip tape. If extensive damage is done the tape will not pressure up, it will just leak to badly. I ran some trials that I reported on at an Irrigation meeting in San Antonio a few years ago with poi

If I can follow up on any of these comments let me know.

I am not sure about the correct procedure to answer questions. Should I address the answers to you, Richard or shoud I answer to the list at large.

From MEAD2513@aol.com Mon Dec 12 18:13:12 1994
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 23:13:12 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Re: re:Bob Edling comments Dec 9

Bob, regarding>I am not sure about the correct procedure to answer questions.
Should I address the answers to you, Richard or should I answer to the list
at large.<
You're doing just the right thing in addressing all responses to the
Trickle-l address. Everything is open here and we all enjoy each other's
comments.
Thanks again for your comments!

R.Mead
List owner

From MEAD2513@aol.com Mon Dec 12 18:36:56 1994
Date: Mon, 12 Dec 1994 23:36:56 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: re: pulsing questions/Warren E. Becker

Warren:
Once again, great comments and questions. I think we can combine your 3
categories (i.e. pulsing by switching irrigation, pulsing by injection into
the water stream, and pulsing at the dripper/dripline or sprinkler/mister.)
into 2 categories.
The foremost is what our lab calls HFSD (or high frequency subsurface drip)
which implies alot of short irrigations, as small as 1 or 2 mm in
application, in order to maintain a steady state moisture condition in the
soil profile. Our research has shown that using this technique/idea, one
obtains higher yields vs more traditional low frequency irrigations (25mm or
1 inch, or more) which was probably inherited via historical furrow or
sprinkler irrigation practices. The low frequency irrigations create more of
a wet/dry cycle where the plants might encounter stress, thus reducing yields
due to lower transpiration etc. One could call HFSD "pulsed irrigation" such
that irrigations are pulsed out to the field more or less spoon feeding the
plants, but this really is not pulsed, it's just high frequency irrigations.
Now pulsing the fertilzer could be used in both high and low frequency
irrigation, and the only reason people use the term pulsed is that it does
pulse (as if a heart beating) a certain dose of fertilizer/nutrient into the
irrigation stream, regardless of duration. That third pulsed irrigation is
very very unique (I think you initially brought it up did'nt you??) which
implies the emitter source. Frankly, I think that is one of a kind or very
foreign to me. One a large farm scale, I don't know how cost effective it
would be, but I could be wrong.
Please send me the >Lego reprint< for my curious eyes. Snail mail would be
fine, don't want you to go out of your financial way. And by the way if any
one wants to send me (hard copy) anything of interest to our group, my
address is:

Richard Mead
USDA-ARS-WMRL
2021 South Peach
Fresno, CA. 93727 USA
ph (209)453-3109
fx (209)453-3122

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sun Dec 18 06:59:09 1994
Date: Sun, 18 Dec 1994 11:59:09 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Merry X-mas

As if you did'nt know it by now, the list owner of Trickle-L has a since of
humor. Tis' the season to be jolly etc. Enclosed is a humorous piece I found
on the Internet. Please enjoy. For you new subscribers who will receive this
as your FIRST Trickle-L email, don't worry, we'll be back to discussing drip
irrigation and more very soon.

IS THERE A SANTA CLAUS?

1) No known species of reindeer can fly. BUT there are 300,000 species of
living organisms yet to be classified, and while most of these are insects
and germs , this does not COMPLETELY rule out flying reindeer which only
Santa has ever seen.

2) There are 2 billion children (persons under 18) in the world. BUT since
Santa doesn't (appear to) handle the Muslim, Hindu, Jewish and Buddhist
children, that reduces the workload to 15% of the total - 378 million
according to Population Reference Bureau. At an average (census) rate of 3.5
children per household, that's 91.8 million homes. One presumes there's at
least one good child in each.

3) Santa has 31 hours of Christmas to work with, thanks to the different time
zones and the rotation of the earth, assuming he travels east to west (which
seems logical). This works out 822.6 visits per second. This is to say that
for each Christian household with good children, Santa has 1/1000th of a
second to park, hop out of the sleigh, jump down the chimney, fill the
stockings, distributed the remaining presents under the tree, eat whatever
snacks have been left, get back up the chimney, get back into the sleigh and
move on to the next house. Assuming that each of these 91.8 million stops are
evenly distributed around the earth (which, of course, we know to be false
but for the purposes of our calculations we will accept), we are now talking
about 0.78 miles, not counting stops to do what most of us do at least once
every 31 hours, plus feeding and etc. This means that Santa's sleigh is
moving at 650 miles per second or 3,000 times the speed of sound. For
purposes of comparison, the fastest man-made vehicle, the Ulysses space
probe, moves at a poky 27.4 miles per second. Conventional reindeer can run
15 miles an hour, tops.

4) The payload on the sleigh adds another interesting element. Assuming that
each child gets nothing more than a medium-size lego set (2 pounds), the
sleigh is carrying 321,300 tons, not counting Santa, who is invariably
described as overweight. On land, conventional reindeer can pull no more than
300 pounds. Even granting that "flying reindeer" (see point #1) could pull
TEN TIMES the normal amount, we cannot do the job with eight, or even nine.
We need 214,200 reindeer. This increases the payload - not even counting the
weight of the sleigh - to 353,430 tons. Again, for comparison - this is
four times the weight of the Queen Elizabeth. Think of the weight on your
roof!!!!

5) 353,000 tons traveling at 650 miles per second creates enormous air
resistance - this will heat the reindeer up in the same fashion as
spacecraft reentering the earth's atmosphere. The lead pair of reindeer will
absorb 14.3 QUINTILLION joules of energy. Per second. Each. In short, they
will burst into flame almost instantaneously, exposing the reindeer behind
them, and create deafening sonic booms in their wake. The entire reindeer
team will be vaporized within 4.26 thousandths of a second. Along with being
burned up, Santa will be subjected to a centrifugal effect equivalent to
17,500.06 times greater than the force of gravity. A 250 pound Santa (which
seems ludicrously slim) would be pinned to the back of his sleigh by
4,315,015 pounds of force.

In conclusion -- If Santa ever DID deliver presents on Christmas Eve, he's
dead now.

Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from your friendly Trickle-L list ower

Richard Mead

From rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov Tue Dec 20 09:17:11 1994
Date: Tue, 20 Dec 1994 14:17:11 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: New FTP-site for trickle-l

***************************NEW**********************************

The creators of Trickle-L are proud to announce a new feature of
our list. We have created an anonymous FTP site which contains
our laboratory's progress report. For those who do not know what
this means, FTP stands for "file transfer protocol" whereby one
can download a file, whether it be a text or binary file.
Essentially, we installed our most recent progress report
(including charts and pictures) on a remote computer in Fresno.
Described below is an index of the available files. After this
index there are instructions for downloading.

CONTENTS OF README.txt file
********************************

- CONTACT ADDRESS
- TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR TEXT FILES
- TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR GRAPHS FILES ACCOMPANYING TEXT FILES
- TABLE OF CONTENTS FOR PHOTOS

CONTACT ADDRESS
***************

Water Management Research Laboratory
Agricultural Research Service
U.S. Department of Agriculture
2021 South Peach Avenue
Fresno, California 93727

CONTENTS of text files
**********************

All files with extension .wp have been saved in WordPerfect 5.1
Files with extension .txt are ascii files, and tables might have
lost their format. If there is a "+PAGE00.GIF" comment, it means
that there are graphs that accompany this article. These should
be downloaded separately.

**********************
PUBLIST.WP 145,521 Bytes
PUBLIST.TXT 86,698 Bytes
List of publications from the Water Management Research
Laboratory. To order a publication, send a postcard to:
USDA/ARS/WMRL, 2021 S. Peach Ave, Fresno CA 93727. Mention
the number of the publication and some keywords of the title.
**********************

Articles of Progress report (1992), Water Management Research
Laboratory
(1993 Progress report is coming soon)

PAGE06.WP 14,307 bytes
Field Uniformity Evaluation of Drip Irrigation
Systems-Overview
+PAGE07.GIF
+PAGE08.GIF
PAGE09.WP 12,340 bytes
Validation of Drip Irrigation System Design and Evaluation
Models with Field Data
+PAGE10.GIF
+PAGE11.GIF
+PAGE12.GIF
PAGE13.WP 23,964 bytes
A User Friendly Microcomputer Program for Drip Irrigation
System Design and Evaluation (contains two tables. WP-format
recommended)
PAGE15.WP 18,616 bytes
Drip Irrigation System Design and Evaluation Computer
Program (contains two tables. WP-format recommended)
PAGE17.WP 12,568 bytes
Uniformity Evaluation of Subsurface Drip Irrigation Systems
at 30AC, Water Management Research Laboratory, Fresno, CA
+PAGE18.GIF
+PAGE19.GIF
+PAGE20.GIF
PAGE32.WP 14,019 bytes
Uniformity Evaluation of Subsurface Drip Irrigation Systems
at Britz Farm, Mendota, CA
+PAGE33.GIF
+PAGE34.GIF
PAGE39.WP 13,471 bytes
Water Requirements of Subsurface Drip Irrigation in the
Imperial Valley of California: Forage Alfalfa: System
Operation and Management
PAGE40.WP 11,897 bytes
Water Requirements of Subsurface Drip Irrigation in the
Imperial Valley of California: Forage Alfalfa: Crop Water
Use, Soil Water Depletion
+PAGE40.GIF
PAGE41.WP 10,772 bytes
Water Requirements of Subsurface Drip Irrigation in the
Imperial Valley of California: Forage Alfalfa: Forage Yields
+PAGE41.GIF
PAGE42.WP 11,802 bytes
Uniformity Evaluation of Subsurface Drip Irrigation Systems
at USDA Irrigated Desert Research Station, Brawley, CA
+PAGE43.GIF
+PAGE44.GIF
PAGE45.WP 14,806 bytes
Water Requirements of Subsurface Drip Irrigated Crops in the
Imperial Valley: Row Crop Study Operational Procedures for
Lettuce (contains one table, WP-format recommended)
PAGE46.WP 20,819 bytes
Water Requirements of Subsurface Drip Irrigated Crops in
the Imperial Valley: Evaluation with Lettuce
PAGE56.WP 9,355 bytes
Drip Lateral Installation Depth: Effects on Crop Growth,
Yield, Nutrient Uptake and Soil Water and Salinity
Distribution
PAGE57.WP 13,427 bytes
Uniformity Evaluation of Subsurface Drip Irrigation Systems
at UC West Side Field Station, Five Points, CA
+PAGE58.GIF
+PAGE59.GIF
PAGE60.WP 13,731 bytes
Nitrogen Management of Cotton Under Subsurface Drip
Irrigation: Identification of Critical N Levels
PAGE63.WP 14,561 bytes
Subsurface Drip Irrigation of Acala and Pima Cotton: Petiole
N, P, and K Levels During Season
+PAGE64.GIF
PAGE65.WP 11,682 bytes
Subsurface Drip Irrigation of Acala and Pima Cotton: Seed
Cotton and Lint Yields
+PAGE66.GIF
PAGE69.WP 15,255 bytes
Subsurface Drip Irrigation of Acala and Pima Cotton: Root
Length Density and Distribution as Affected by Growth Stage,
Irrigation Treatment, Depth, and Distance from the Emitters
PAGE73.WP 11,654 bytes
Accuracy of ETo Estimates from Automated Class-A Pan
Evaporation Measurements
+PAGE73.GIF
PAGE74.WP 15,252 bytes
Field Demonstration of Emerging Irrigation Technologies for
Cotton Surface Drip Irrigated, LEPA, and Furrow Irrigation
Systems (contains one table, WP format recommended)
PAGE75.WP 22,020 bytes
Uniformity Evaluation of Subsurface Drip Irrigation Systems
at Harris Farms,Coalinga, CA (contains two tables, WP format
recommended)
PAGE77.WP 17,515 bytes
Subsurface Drip Irrigation of Young Prune Trees (contains
two tables, WP format recommended)

CONTENTS of graphs
******************
All figures have been taken from the Progress Report 1992
of the Water Management Research Laboratory. Graphs and figures
are all in black and white.

PAGE07.GIF 126,856 bytes Graph A Uniformity Coefficient
Graph B Uniformity Coefficient
Graph C Coefficient of Variation
PAGE08.GIF 81,197 bytes Graph D Coefficient of Variation
Graph E Emitter Flow Variation
Graph F Emitter Flow Variation
PAGE10.GIF 78,484 bytes A. 30 AC UC Difference
B. Britz Farm UC Difference
C. WSFS (Agrifim In-Line)Difference
D. Brawley (RootGuard) Difference
PAGE11.GIF 76,790 bytes E. 30 AC CV Difference
F. Britz Farm CV Difference
G. WSFS (Agrifim In-Line)Difference
H. Brawley (RootGuard)CV Difference
PAGE12.GIF 76,569 bytes I. 30 AC Q var Difference
J. Britz Farm Q var Difference
K. WSFS (Agrifim In-Line)Q var
L. Brawley (Rootguard)Q var
PAGE18.GIF 113,992 bytes Figure 1. Results of Field tests
and Model simulations
PAGE19.GIF 95,037 bytes Figure 2. Difference between field
tests (uniform 40-50 points)
and Model Simulations (30AC)
PAGE20.GIF 101,344 bytes Figure 3. Difference between field
tests (Random 18 Points)
and Model Simulations (30 AC)
PAGE33.GIF 99,726 bytes Figure 2. Difference between field
tests and Model Simulations
(Britz Farms)
PAGE34.GIF 109,641 bytes Figure 1. Results of field tests
and Model Simulations
PAGE40.GIF 14,989 bytes Figure 1. Applied water during 1992
season ...
PAGE41.GIF 30,142 bytes Figure 1. Total alfalfa yield from
January through...
PAGE43.GIF 89,694 bytes Figure 1. Results of Field Tests
and Model Simulations Brawley,
Rootguard Tube, 160 m tube
PAGE44.GIF 86,419 bytes Figure 2. Difference between Field
Tests and Model Simulations
Brawley, Rootguard Tube, 160 m
tube length
PAGE58.GIF 140,019 bytes Figure 1. Results of Field Tests
and Model Simulations WSFS,
Agrifim In-Line Tube, 91 m
tube length
PAGE59.GIF 106,895 bytes Figure 2. Difference between Field
Tests and Model Simulations
WSFS, Agrifim In-Line Tube, 91
m tube length
PAGE64.GIF 96,361 bytes WSFS-54 Cotton Petioles NO3-N "GC"
WSFS-54 Cotton Petioles NO3-N "P"
WSFS-54 Cotton Petioles PO4-P "GC"
WSFS-54 Cotton Petioles PO4-P "P"
WSFS-54 Cotton Petioles Potassium
WSFS-54 Cotton Petioles Potassium
PAGE66.GIF 122,974 bytes WSFS 54 Plot Lint Yield "GC510"
WSFS 54 Plot Lint Yield "Columnar"
WSFS 54 Plot Lint Yield "Pima"
PAGE73.GIF 18,986 bytes Relationship of ETo and Pan
evaporation (Five Points)

CONTENTS of pictures
********************
All pictures have been scanned and saved using 256 colors. If
your monitor supports only 16 colors, it's a waste of time to
download these files. In some cases, it is possible to change the
video driver in Windows so that the monitor can display 256
colors. Read your monitor manual or contact the manufacturer for
more information.

PICTURES.TXT *** bytes Explanation of pictures (in press)
FILTER.GIF 197,053 bytes Filter for drip system
INJECTOR.GIF 277,434 bytes Injector
MANIFOLD.GIF 273.408 bytes Manifold of drip system

Instructions for downloading an ftp file.

There are two options:

a) If you have direct ftp access, you can type the command

FTP CATI.CSUFRESNO.EDU

then login as:

anonymous

use your user name and email address for the password

e.g. RMEAD@ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV

once you are on the computer, change directory to /pub/trickle

e.g. cd /pub/trickle

make sure that you put a space betweem "cd" and "/pub/trickle"

By typing
dir

you obtain a directory or index of what is available.

The file readme.txt or INDEX explains more in detail how the
files are named. (UPPER/lower case sensitve!!)

b) if you have only email access, you can use an ftp server.

To use an ftp server send email to

bitftp@pucc.princeton.edu

write the message

ftp cati.csufresno.edu

user anonymous

cd /pub/trickle (make sure that there is a
space between "cd" and "/pub")
binary (or ascii)

get <filename>

[use binary to retrieve the GIF files and WP files and ascii for txt
files]

If you select the binary option, files will be sent UUENCODED.
You will need to UUDECODE the file for viewing.

If you have questions, please submit them to me
(RMEAD@ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV) or your local computer guru.

HAPPY DOWNLOADING and Tell a friend

From f2f@igc.apc.org Wed Dec 21 01:35:48 1994
Date: Wed, 21 Dec 1994 09:35:48 -0800
From: Farmer to Farmer <f2f@igc.apc.org>
Subject: Re: New FTP-site for trickle-l

Hi, I'm wondering if I can get off the ttrickle-l list? I tried to
Unsubscribe, but I still get mailings. Thanks!
Lori Pottinger
f2f@igc.apc.org

From stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de Fri Dec 23 19:42:06 1994
From: stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de (Thomas Stein)
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 18:42:06 +0100 (MEZ)

To Richard and all,

I think this was realy a good idea to make those valuable documents
and information accessible to interested readers.

Richard opened two ways of accessing the information.
For those of you who are using a www-browser I added third and easy
one by linking that ftp site and directory to the
"WWW-Virtual Library: Irrigation Page".
You may read and view the text (.txt) and picture (.gif) files
online or even download them by using your www-browser
(Mosaic, lynx etc.).

You may easily access the following pages and links by typing the URL's
in your www-browser.

To Access the "Virtual Library IRRIGATION: Main Page" type the URL:
http://fserv.wiz.uni-kassel.de/kww/projekte/irrig/irrig_i.html

To Access the "Virtual Library IRRIGATION: Drip Page" type the URL:
http://fserv.wiz.uni-kassel.de/kww/projekte/irrig/trickle_i.html

>From both pages you will find links to the ftp site "cati.csufresno.edu"
and otherwise related information.

If you detect any problems or malfunction please let me know (I just
started that part).

According to rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov:
>Subject: New FTP-site for trickle-l
>
> ***************************NEW**********************************
>
> The creators of Trickle-L are proud to announce a new feature of
> our list. We have created an anonymous FTP site which contains
> our laboratory's progress report. For those who do not know what
> this means, FTP stands for "file transfer protocol" whereby one
> can download a file, whether it be a text or binary file.
> Essentially, we installed our most recent progress report
> (including charts and pictures) on a remote computer in Fresno.
> Described below is an index of the available files. After this
> index there are instructions for downloading.

I hope this will serve all.

HAPPY BROWSING

Regards,

Thomas

From MEAD2513@aol.com Fri Dec 23 09:12:53 1994
Date: Fri, 23 Dec 1994 14:12:53 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com

Dear Thomas Stein,
Thank you for your contribution for accessing our new ftp site.
So glad there is interest and various ways to obtain the information.

Richard Mead
Trickle-L list owner

From 75341.3327@compuserve.com Tue Dec 23 10:36:11 1994
Date: 23 Dec 94 15:36:11 EST
From: Selene Tarng <75341.3327@compuserve.com>

unsubscribe trickle-l Selene Tarng

From modena@sunsite.unc.edu Sun Dec 25 22:24:07 1994
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 1994 03:24:07 -0500 (EST)
From: Stephen Modena <modena@calypso-2.oit.unc.edu>
Subject: GOPHER-readable TRICKLE-L archives at SunSITE

TRICKLE-L AVAILABLE FOR GOPHER BROWSING AT SUNSITE

With GOPHER one can browse the past postings of TRICKLE-L, which
is keep current to the latest log file available from unl.edu.

The address is: SunSITE.unc.edu (port 70)

/pub/academic/agriculture/agronomy/agronomy-topics/trickle-l

These are accessable for anonymous ftp retrieval.

If your GOPHER comes into SunSITE at the top menu, then the menu route is:

5. Worlds of SunSITE
4. Browse All Sunsite Archives
8. academic
3. agriculture
3. agronomy
4. Agronomy Topics
1. Archives of TRICKLE-L listserv

If you don't have access to a gopher server, then you may:

telnet SunSITE.unc.edu

And the login menu will offer, among others, 'gopher'...then use the
menu routing information just above.

Individual articles may be emailed back to yourself: while reading a
trickle-l article, press the 'm' key and supply the email address.

--
Stephen A. Modena --agronomy archive curator-- modena@SunSITE.unc.edu

From MEAD2513@aol.com Mon Dec 26 07:23:09 1994
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 1994 12:23:09 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Chlorine and the environment

As an info-geek, I do a lot of cross referencing of science and engineering
journals and magazines. I stumbled upon an article in "Technology Review"
(Jan. 1995)
pp.54-60. Before I go any further, this is NOT a commentary having either a
pro or con
bias. It is meant to be an objective piece of information to stimulate
conversation.
Anyway....the article was entitled "The Chlorine Controversy". Basically, the
article stated several interesting facts, specifically pertaining to the
agricultural industry:

1) Chemicals containing chlorine, all chemicals containing chlorine, have
become increasingly suspect.
2) Some environmentalist are calling for the total elimination of many
chemicals containing chlorine.
3) In March 1994, the America Public Health Association, called on industry
to reduce or eliminate chlorinated organic compounds in its products and to
introduce lower risk substitutes.
4) Chlorine is used in approximately 15,000 products.

The one product that caught my eye was PVC (polyvinyl chloride). This product
is the predominate pipe-system used in drip and subsurface drip irrigation.
Fittings such as Tees, Ells, slip and threaded couplers, are an integral part
of drip irrigated agriculture. The article stated that many individual cities
in Germany and Austria have banned PVC plastics, which when BURNED, release
dioxins.

5) Chlorine and chlorine-based compounds are used to disinfect 98 % of the
publicly supplied drinking water in the U.S. Chlorine gas is used in the
agricultural industry to inject Cl at 1 to 10 ppm to prevent biological
growth and root intrusion in subsurface drip irrigation (see Chlorine
discussions circa early August 94 on archives). Incidentally, an ozone
treatment which is thought to be an alternative, tends to dissipate more
rapidly, requiring repeated treatments or follow-up treatments with some
chlorine. Also, ozone has been shown to form its own harmful products in
water, including bromates, which are potential carcinogens.

6) The EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) prefers a middle course between
industry and environmentalist such that an interagency government task force
has proposed a study that would focus on four main uses of chlorine: water
disinfection, solvents, PVC and other plastics and pulp and manufacturing.
The EPA says it will then develop a plan for any appropriate action which
would probably take years to install.

My only emphasis of this Trickle-L topic is to bring it to your attention. If
regulations get stiff enough to ban or eliminate PVC and Chlorine for
disinfection, the drip industry (among others) has got to think of alternate
sources of plastic and disinfection techniques. Seeing this (potential)
problem now, gives us time to discuss and plan for the future. Please feel
free to comment.

Richard Mead
Trickle-L list owner

From stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de Wed Dec 28 13:43:11 1994
From: stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de (Thomas Stein)
Subject: Trickle-l archives through www
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 12:43:11 +0100 (MEZ)

Dear All

The trickle-l archives are accessable through gopher and ftp.
(Steve Modena modena@SunSITE.unc.edu)

For those of you who are using a www-browser I added links in the
"WWW-Virtual Library Irrigation: Drip Page" so you may access those
archives through browsers like Mosaic, lynx etc.

To access the "Virtual Library IRRIGATION: Main Page" type the URL:
http://fserv.wiz.uni-kassel.de/kww/projekte/irrig/irrig_i.html
Choose from the menue: Trickle/Drip Irrigation Systems Page.

To directly access the "Virtual Library IRRIGATION: Drip Page" type the URL:
http://fserv.wiz.uni-kassel.de/kww/projekte/irrig/trickle_i.html

If you detect any problems or malfunction please let me know.

Regards,

Thomas Stein

From edmartin@ag.Arizona.EDU Wed Dec 28 18:00:56 1994
Date: Wed, 28 Dec 1994 11:00:56 +0700
Subject: Re: Chlorine and the environment
From: edmartin@ag.Arizona.EDU

Richard,

I have begun doing some work using ozone in place of chlorine in a
buried drip system. We have done some preliminary tests and so far, the
ozone has done very well. However, the plot size was very small and the
length of the run were short (200 ft).

I am curious in the harmful effects of ozone (the bromate production).
The people I am working with mainly use the ozone for water cooling
towers and they have not said anything about the production of bromate
or any other harmful side effects. In fact, as we begun our study, we
actually thought there might be some additional benefits to using ozone.

The most obvious benefit is no chlorine, which, as you mentioned, is
moving up on the environmental hit list. Also, we have had growers in
the area complain about the harzards of working with the chlorine gas.
Also, we felt that since the ozone breaks done so fast, the water we
would be delivering to the plants would be highly oxygenated, helping to
avoid any problems of oxygen depletion just after an irrigation.

I would be interested in any comments or references anyone could supply
that pertain to the use of ozone as a bactericide in irrigation.

Ed Martin
Univ. of Arizona

From MEAD2513@aol.com Thu Dec 29 16:42:29 1994
Date: Thu, 29 Dec 1994 21:42:29 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com

Dear Ed,
A comment and a question:
Frankly, I have'nt the foggiest where Bromine would come into play with
ozone production. Seems like, ozone is easy to produce via UV light. All I
was stating was what the article said. Your point is well taken.
The question...Is ozone production for bacterialcide purposes on the market
or is it still in the experimental stage?
Once again, thanks for your input!!

R. Mead
Trickle-l owner

From edmartin@ag.Arizona.EDU Fri Dec 30 15:06:19 1994
Date: Fri, 30 Dec 1994 08:06:19 +0700
From: edmartin@ag.Arizona.EDU

Richard,

All I really know about ozone's use is with cooling towers. It is used
extensively in this area. Also, my industry sources tell me that large
swimming pools also use ozone as a bactericide. As I continue work in
this arena, I'll keep the "Trcikle-Trekkies" informed!

Ed

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sat Dec 31 15:27:36 1994
Date: Sat, 31 Dec 1994 20:27:36 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: 1994 in review

After being on the Internet for only six months, we have assembled 142
subscribers. Eighty-four percent are from the U.S., 6 % are from Australia,
and the remaining 10 % include Austria, Belgium, Canada, Germany, Japan, New
Zealand, The Netherlands, Portugal, South Africa, Thialand, and the United
Kingdom.

Back on July 13, Jerome Pier (list owner of Soils-L and Agmodels-L) at the
Univeristy of Nebraska at Lincoln helped us begin this list. We are very much
in debt to his services. Almost immediately discussions began, starting in
Sydney Australia with Peter Leroy. Soon, farmers, greenhouse managers, grape
growers, college professors, graduate students, tree growers, hops farmers,
journalists, marketing specialists, nurserymen, extension specialists,
permaculturalists, and organic farmers all joined in the fun to begin what I
think is one successful Internet chatting family.

We have had discussions on chlorine (from recommended doses via Cl gas to a
recent environmental debate), fertigation, pulsed fertigation/irrigation,
soil moisture sensors, emitter density spacing, emitter clogging, high vs low
frequency irrigations, root intrusion prevention, vectored irrigation and
more. (Remember, if you wish to view previous discussions on the list for
particular months since this July, send: GET TRICKLE-L LOG94XX , where XX
would be 07 for July, 08 for August, etc. This command goes to
LISTSERV@UNL.EDU.)

By December of 1994, we finally were bold enough to put our lab's (Water
Management Research Lab USDA-ARS) progress report, list of publications and
photos of some of our research projects equipment on an anonymous ftp site.

I hope each and every one of you have enjoyed Trickle-L and will continue to
do so.
Please post a note or write to me personally if you have suggestions or
comments about this service.

Here's hoping you have a great 1995!!!

Sincerely,

Richard Mead
List owner

p.s. If you wish a decorative flyer advertising "Trickle-L", send me your FAX
number and I'll be sure it gets to you. Eventually, we'll put this on the ftp
site as a graphic file.

Prepared by Steve Modena AB4EL modena@SunSITE.unc.edu