From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Jul 3 21:52 EDT 1995
Date: Mon, 3 Jul 1995 20:52:04 -0500
From: listserv@unl.edu
Subject: GET TRICKLE-L LOG9503

Archive TRICKLE-L: file log9503, part 1/1, size 225721 bytes:

Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 19:41:51 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)
Subject: Re: Research areas in subsurface drip irrigation

Hi Zach,

Because you chose to use a pressure compensating emitter without root
intrusion protection there are even more difficulties than that of which
you mention.
Pressure compensating emitters with the rubber diaphragm pressed against a
flow path, often increase in flow as they begin to fail. This is because
the diaphragm is held away from the flow path by root intrusion and soil
ingestion. Furthermore EPDM diaphragms are not totally chemical resistant
and may harden or soften from chemical injection.
Therefor monitoring flow rates does not mean that all is well. It means
that on average all is well but you may well have some drippers flowing at
very high rates and others flowing scarcely at all. This phenomena has been
independently recorded in a commercial turf installation. By the time you
know something is wrong it is beyond recovery. Because the first signal
will usually be an increase in flow I would suggest that in the event of
even 5% increase in flow you start digging and testing drippers one by one.

If you so wish please contact me at the above e-mail address I will send
you independant reports from C.I.T. and the HSPA which colloborate the
above information.

Rodney.

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Wed Mar 1 11:42:04 1995
Date: Wed, 1 Mar 1995 19:42:04 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

To Steve Jordan,

The main concern about injection of trifluralin is not accumulation in the
grape, even though there is not enough data to permit such a use. More
serious is that under certain circumstances when injected in suspension in
water trifluralin can be carried through the soil into the groundwater.
Trifluralin is toxic to fish.

Rodney.

From JKNUTESON@elinet1.dowelanco.com Fri Mar 3 05:29:32 1995
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 10:29:32 -0500 (EST)
From: "Jim Knuteson, Ph.D., DowElanco" <JKNUTESON@elinet1.dowelanco.com>
Subject: Trifluralin not a ground water concern

On March 1st Rodney Ruskin wrote ...

:To Steve Jordan,
:
:The main concern about injection of trifluralin is not accumulation in the
:grape, even though there is not enough data to permit such a use. More
:serious is that under certain circumstances when injected in suspension in
:water trifluralin can be carried through the soil into the groundwater.
:Trifluralin is toxic to fish.
:
:Rodney.

The facts about trifluralin are that Trees & Vines (i.e. grapes) are
already on the Federal label for two commercial products (Treflan 5
herbicide and Treflan EC herbicide). There is a section on
chemigation application methods for the EC product, however, nothing
specific for chemigation on grapes at this time.

The Koc of trifluralin is about 8,000 which means that it is very
difficult for it to move through soils and aquifer materials. So if
it is applied properly, the chances that it would both move through
soils and laterally to surface water bodies, where fish live, are
pretty remote.

People should always use common sense when using all plant protection
products in the environment.

Jim Knuteson
DowElanco

** Disclaimer: These comments are my own (but I know I'm right!)

From rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov Fri Mar 3 06:25:22 1995
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 11:25:22 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: New member response to survey

Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 12:58:45 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Trickle-L update

For the newbies of Trickle-L or re-run fanatics, the January 1995 archive
is now available by sending the message >get trickle-l log9501<

>listserv@unl.edu<

The archive covers topics such as: Water rights, anaerobic digesters for
liquid fertilizer, ozone potential for replacing chlorine, Netafim
systems, a review of an article by Jan van Schilfgaarde, ITRC Drip/Micro
tools, discussions of models (EPIC), biocides, gopher machines, an essay
on filtragation, discussions concerning
watermelon research using subsurface drip, new frontiers in
desalinization technology, a call for Agronomy Society papers (deadline
April 8 by the way), P fertilizers in drip systems, water chemistry, old
tubing/recycling, a DowElanco survey,
the Irrigation Consumer Bill of Rights, an essay on Filtration followed
by discussion and finally some talk concerning automated systems.
Approximately 27% of the archive file is not formatted for text via Unix
systems, so be prepared to see about one fourth of the file containing
hieroglyphics. The file is 237K.

As of March 3, 1995, Trickle-L now has 191 members from 14 countries.
About 43% are from university institutions, 39% are from private or
commercial services, 15% are from countries outside the U.S.A and 3% are
U.S. federal researchers.
Please send comments as to what you would like to see discussed or
covered to me (RMEAD@ASRR.ARSUSDA.GOV) or just post it to everybody via
Trickle-L@UNL.EDU.
Thanks for all the enthusiasm out there. I'll be keeping you posted
throughout the year as to how the list is evolving.

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner
USDA-ARS-WMRL
Fresno, CA. USA
(209)-453-3100

From sstyles@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu Fri Mar 3 06:19:23 1995
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 14:19:23 -0800
From: sstyles@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu (Stuart W. Styles)
Subject: ASAE Meeting in Orlando

The IA asked if I could pass this annoucement along to the Trickle-L group--

THE IRRIGATION ASSOCIATION PRESENTS:

AGRICULTURAL IRRIGATION DRIP/MICRO SHORT COURSE

This one day course is being offered in conjunction with the 5th
International Microirrigation Congress & Exposition at the Hyatt Orlando
Hotel - Kissimmee, Florida.

Course date: Sunday April 2nd, 1995
Location: Hyatt Orlando Hotel - Kissimmee, Florida
Time: 8:00 A.M. - 5:00 P.M.
Instructor: Stuart W. Styles, P.E.
Irrigation Training & Research Center, Cal Poly

Step 2 and 3 IA CID examinations offered on Monday April 3rd, 1995.
Registration for these exams is separate from registration for the
drip/micro course.

The drip/micro course offers an opportunity for participants to learn the
fundamentals of design and management. Throughout the program, special
emphasis will be given to the maintenance of the components discussed.
Filtration and chemigation are the first topics to be considered, as they
are often the sources of systems problems if not managed properly. Product
options and their application will also be discussed. A review of system
design criteria as the second topic will serve as an important foundation
for the course. Site data collection, design parameters for low volume
spray systems and equipment selection will also be covered. The program
will wrap up with a discussion of system scheduling, evaporation, soils,
crop coefficients and leaching requirements.

Cost of the course (which includes the reference book "Drip and
Microirrigation for Trees, Vines, and Row Crops by Charles M. Burt, P.E.,
Ph.D. and Stuart Styles, P.E.) is $105.00 for members of the IA, ASAE or
FIS and $135.00 for non-members.

FOR MORE INFO OR EXAM APPLICATION FORMS CONTACT:

DARIA S. JAKUBOWSKI
THE IRRIGATION ASSOCIATION
8260 WILLOW OAKS CORPORATE DRIVE, SUITE 120
FAIRFAX, VA 22031
Phone: 703-573-3551
Fax: 703-573-1913

From ScottGood@aol.com Fri Mar 3 16:24:48 1995
Date: Fri, 3 Mar 1995 21:24:48 -0500
From: ScottGood@aol.com
Subject: TRICKLE-L

Richard,
So far so good. The system has been very educational and although I've only
been for for a while, I feel I could learn a lot from everyone here. I just
wanted to take a moment to say thank you for your service....
Scott Good

From Dripigate@aol.com Sat Mar 4 09:30:31 1995
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 14:30:31 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com
Subject: Re: Trickle-L update

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sat Mar 4 16:09:07 1995
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 21:09:07 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Seltzer water and plant production???

In a recent small article in the March 3, 1995 issue of the Wall Street
Journal, there was a story about a man who used seltzer water on plants,
claiming a 50% faster growth (I am assuming a CO2 enrichment phenomena
occurred). The article stated that experts don't challenge the story and say
"it's certainly not implausible". Are there any greenhouse people out there
that have tried this technique? I can see it now, injecting seltzer water
with a drip system in greenhouse production. The only problem is that seltzer
water at this time, only comes in bottles, NOT large drums.

R. Mead
List owner

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sat Mar 4 16:09:34 1995
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 21:09:34 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Surface drip and Celery

A while back I posted a brief comment on how celery loves water at the soil
surface via drip irrigation. Soon after that comment, I read an article in
the American Vegetable Grower magazine (February 1995) about drip irrigation
in the Salinas valley. This particular article talked about a mobile drip
system which is popular in other areas of the U.S. Anyway, the surface drip
system when irrigating celery, created a better quality celery. Disease
problems such as blight were lower compared to sprinkling.
A particular grower in the article cut his water use in half from 2.5
acre-ft/acre to 1.5 acre-ft. This in addition to another interesting comment
that stated the local water officials told farmers to reduce water use by 25%
within a five year period.
If anybody has any comments on the popularity of mobile surface drip systems,
or celery experience, please add to the fray.

Richard Mead
List owner

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sat Mar 4 16:10:21 1995
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 21:10:21 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Tomato research update

Back in late February I posted some information concerning subsurface vs
surface drip irrigation on tomatoes grown in Florida. As a recap from that
posting, the researchers grew the tomatoes in plots using drip tubing buried
at 2.5 cm (1 inch) and 30 cm (12 inches) below the soil surface. The
shallower depth was considered "surface drip" irrigation. Tomato yields were
found to be higher for the surface drip ,79 t/ha (35 t/a) vs 55 t/ha (24 t/a)
for the subsurface drip treatment.
Just recently Gary Clark, one of the investigators of the Florida research,
phoned me to answer some of the questions I had posed. As a follow up, I'll
post his comments to my questions.

1) How frequent were the irrigations?

Dr. Clark stated that the irrigations were performed three times/day at a
rate of ~1mm/hr. The soil was practically beach sand, having 3 to 4% water
holding capacity by volume.

2) Why wasn't a treatment placed at 15 cm (6 inches), half way between
surface and their only subsurface placement?

Placing the lateral tube at 15 cm or 6 inches would have posed a tillage
problem with current cultural equipment which is understandable. However,
there is at least one company which makes equipment specifically for tillage
operations with shallow placed drip tubing. There might even be more than one
by now.

3) Were there any weed population differences between the two treatments?

Weeds were not a problem for two reasons: One, there was a plastic mulch
covering the bed of tomato plants ,and two, not much water was standing in
the furrows due to the sandy nature of the soil.

Dr. Clark is now a subscriber to Trickle-L and I hope he corrects the above
information if it is not exact.

R. Mead
List owner

From thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu Sat Mar 4 11:42:59 1995
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 19:42:59 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: Seltzer water and plant production???

A friend was putting small amounts of sea water on her garden. I
persuaded her to only put it on alternate rows of beans and tomatoes.
The rows getting a spoonful/day were several inches taller. I guessed
micronutrients were responsible and considered it a cheap way to add a
broad range of minerals.

Tom
Tom Hodges, Cropping Systems Modeler
USDA-ARS email: thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Rt. 2, Box 2953-A voice: 509-786-9207
Prosser, WA 99350 USA Fax: 509-786-9370
== ## Rent this space ## ==
If this represents anything, it is only my opinion.

From sgrower1@rain.org Sat Mar 4 14:28:45 1995
Date: Sat, 4 Mar 1995 22:28:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Phil Soderman <sgrower1@rain.org>

Hi Richard, I worked with chrysanthemums beginning in 1970, Using CO2
injection was very popular in those days. Most systems utilized
the gasses produced by the combustion of natural gas. Some systems used
liquified CO2. In 1973 I designed and with the help of a local softdrink
supplier, built a system to carbonate irrigation water for application
to plants. The entire process was done so as to patent the invention.
We treated water to the point that it fizzed when it came out of the
end of the pipe, due to reduction in pressure and carbonation
process. Our application was to chrysanthemum cuttings in the rooting
process. CO2 was known to effect plants by preventing "wilting",
therefore I reasoned if we could prevent 2-3 days of wilting we could
speedup or enhance the rooting process. The results were excellent,
the cuttings recovered tugor in 4-6hr and rooted 1 day faster, had
more branches, thicker stems and the plants they produced grew at a
faster rate. We then tried the CO2 system to enhance the survival
of Plant Tissue Culture explants at the 4th or final stage-planting
into soil. The CO2 system again greatly improved survival and speeded
growth. The cooperating company commissioned a marketing survey to
determine who would pruchase such a system. And immediatly dropped
the project. Too technical for the horticulture industry of the mid
70's. More recient research has shown that Increasing levels of CO2 in
the root zone increased plant growth. Reciently I read where someone
else had a patent on the same process, Oh well. Phil Soderman sgrower1@rain.org

From Dripigate@aol.com Sun Mar 5 08:41:28 1995
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 13:41:28 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com
Subject: Re: Seltzer water and plant p...

I did this in Imperial Valley in 1987 & 88. on Watermelons. PepsiCo or their
distrib in Arizona assisted. Were able to drop pH of Colorado water from 8.3
to 6.5. Other results were lost in a job change. Rates of injection and
economics were lost. It appeared to be a viable answer to helping with pH
with a fairly simple rig. Only real drawback that I saw, was the cost of
refrigeration for the gas. I have photos etc available to interested
parties. Carbonic acid being the agent resulting from the injection. I would
stress careful analysis of water to ensure no "unfreindly" results occur.
i.e. precipitation of salts in solution etc.
It is a very safe way to buffer a system's water supply.
Robin>>

From Dripigate@aol.com Sun Mar 5 08:50:53 1995
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 13:50:53 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com
Subject: Re: Surface drip and Celery

I will be happy to discuss this with you. The particular grower in the
artical wishes not to discuss this, as he has an edge over his
competitors.This is fine, the methods have been available for 20 years a
very interesting concept, employing integral dripperline instead of tape and
using it for a number of seasons (15 or more crops.) Better drippers are
available in this format, therefor better distribution. Also equipment is out
of the way for land prep etc.
R.

From ScottGood@aol.com Sun Mar 5 13:44:18 1995
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 18:44:18 -0500
From: ScottGood@aol.com

Phil,
Can you please describe how you made the applications to the mum cuttings?
Could it be used in a 'std' mist propagation system?
Am I on the "right" track in thinking that you could rig it using compressed
CO2 injected like they do at fountain drink machines or like I do when
injecting Cl2 into my drip system (using a boster pump to increase presure to
~180psi and passing it through a veturii to create a suction in order to
withdraw the gas from the cylinder.)

Scott Good

From ZephirH@aol.com Sun Mar 5 15:34:13 1995
Date: Sun, 5 Mar 1995 20:34:13 -0500
From: ZephirH@aol.com

I worked with a grower in Ontario who put retrievable drip on 60 acres of
muck celery 6 or 7 years ago. Very positive results from the drip; the
grower claimed to have paid for the system in reduced pesticide applications
the first year. The only drawback was the decreased moisture of the muck
surface led to higher oxidation rates of the soil itself - a commodity
perhaps more valuabe than the celery!

From sjordan@chainsaw.win.net Sun Mar 5 19:36:39 1995
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 1995 17:12:48
From: sjordan@chainsaw.win.net (Steve Jordan)

>The main concern about injection of trifluralin is not accumulation in the
>grape, even though there is not enough data to permit such a use. More
>serious is that under certain circumstances when injected in suspension in
>water trifluralin can be carried through the soil into the groundwater.
>Trifluralin is toxic to fish.

If it is a permitted use of that chemical, I assume that that
possibility would be examined. In my fields, there is no run off
from drip irrigated fields. Treflan would have to enter the
groundwater via the leachate, then it would have to emerge and
then contaminate the surface water. I assume your concern is with
surface spills or spraying into surface waters???

From sjordan@chainsaw.win.net Sun Mar 5 19:36:42 1995
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 1995 17:26:40
From: sjordan@chainsaw.win.net (Steve Jordan)

>A while back I posted a brief comment on how celery loves water at the soil
>surface via drip irrigation. Soon after that comment, I read an article in
>the American Vegetable Grower magazine (February 1995) about drip irrigation
>in the Salinas valley. This particular article talked about a mobile drip
>system which is popular in other areas of the U.S. Anyway, the surface drip
>system when irrigating celery, created a better quality celery. Disease
>problems such as blight were lower compared to sprinkling.
>A particular grower in the article cut his water use in half from 2.5
>acre-ft/acre to 1.5 acre-ft. This in addition to another interesting comment
>that stated the local water officials told farmers to reduce water use by 25%
>within a five year period.
>If anybody has any comments on the popularity of mobile surface drip systems,
>or celery experience, please add to the fray.
>
>Richard Mead
>List owner

Let's see. I do mobile surface drip system and I do drip celery..
So I am at least partially qualified.

Celery is different from most coastal vegetables in two related
ways, high moisture requirements, and a very strong fibrous root
system. It is aslo very difficult to use minimum tillage (i.e.
"Sundance") equipment on due to the trash (oops vegetative
matter).

If you bury the tape and try to keep it you face three daunting
problems. Root intrusion is very, very easy with buried, less
easy with surface. 2. The harvest is almost always _wet_ wet wet
with often heavy equipment. 3. Sundance is tough.

Celery required frequent "black" irrigation. The center of the
bed needs to get wet. It is very susceptible to black heart
(calcium deficiency).

Buried, permanent drip in celery is possible, but you gotta be
very, very good.

From BSHECK@NIMUE.HOOD.EDU Sun Mar 5 16:32:53 1995
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 1995 21:32:53 -0500 (EST)
From: THE SHECKONATOR <BSHECK@NIMUE.HOOD.EDU>

If you want the trickle-l log9501 file _YOU MUST_ send the message
to LISTSERV@unl.edu, not the TRICKLE-L list.

OK? I know this is complicated stuff here, I fight it everyday myself!

Good Surfin'

Bob Sheck

--> Nuclear Families _DO_ Glow in the Dark! BSHECK, ME-SHECK, abendigo!
BSHECK@NIMUE.HOOD.EDU >>>-------==The Sheckinator==------<<< (301) 696-3928
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy.- Groucho Marx

From BSHECK@NIMUE.HOOD.EDU Sun Mar 5 16:45:41 1995
Date: Sun, 05 Mar 1995 21:45:41 -0500 (EST)
From: THE SHECKONATOR <BSHECK@NIMUE.HOOD.EDU>

Actually, seltzer water is rather easy to make.

As a HOMEBREWER, I use CO2 for force-carbonating my beer after
I put in in the keg.

If I were to fill my keg with tap water [yuk!] and put the pressure
on it, I could make all the selter I could stand.

Maybe the plants would benefit more from homebrew? I know I do <G>

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Mon Mar 6 11:29:17 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Re: Economics of SDI for Field Corn
Date: 06 Mar 95 17:29:17 CST

I wanted to post the availability of a new extension paper on SDI.

Subsurface Drip Irrigation for Field Corn: An Economic Analysis
by
K. C. Dhuyvetter
F. R. Lamm
D. H. Rogers
November 1994
KSU Cooperative Extension, Manahattan Kansas. L-909. 6 pages.

Request free single copies from
kdhuyvet@oznet.ksu.edu
Phone 913-532-5823

Multiple free copies may also be available. Not being in extension
myself, I don't know all the mechanics of multiple copies.

Freddie

Freddie Lamm
Research Agricultural Engineer
KSU Northwest Research-Extension Center
105 Experiment Farm Road, Colby, Kansas 67701-1697
Ph. 913-462-6281
FAX 913-462-2315

From sgrower1@rain.org Mon Mar 6 12:24:29 1995
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 20:24:29 -0800 (PST)
From: Phil Soderman <sgrower1@rain.org>

On Sun, 5 Mar 1995 ScottGood@aol.com wrote:

> Phil,
> Can you please describe how you made the applications to the mum cuttings?
> Could it be used in a 'std' mist propagation system?
The CO2 injection test was setup in a propagation greenhouse area with
intermittant mist system. The nozzles were Flora Mist Foggers, the pipe
was galvanized 3/4" pipe, the solenoids were Asco. The benches were
75feet long and 40" wide, they had a single mist line positioned over the
center line of the bench, nozzles were spaced 24 inches on center. The
cycle timing was a 5 min cycle timer with skipper pins to reduce the mist
cycle frequency if necessary. Mum cuttings were stuck into a steam
sterlized 50-50 peat pearlite mixture, holes 2"x2" with a pressed dibble
board. The results were compared to benches directly adjacent to the test
benches, aisles were 18" and sufficent to prevent overspray. Cutting
variety blocks were replicated to compare specific varieties planted the
same day.
> Am I on the "right" track in thinking that you could rig it using compressed
> CO2 injected like they do at fountain drink machines or like I do when
> injecting Cl2 into my drip system (using a boster pump to increase presure to
> ~180psi and passing it through a veturii to create a suction in order to
> withdraw the gas from the cylinder.)
The functional parts of the system were provided by Santa Barbara
Carbonic Gas company(long since out of business). They consisted of
cylinders of compressed CO2, 2 stainless steel tanks (just like fountain
drink machines), a carbonating device to inject the CO2 into the water
filling the tank after each mist cycle and a small control package. After
each mist cycle the water droplets on the leaf surfaces slightly fizzed with
the CO2. The wooden sides of the bench 3-4" taller than the tops of the
mum cuttings and would have held a heavier than air gas in the "plant
canopy". We attempted to determine CO2 levels in the plant canopy, they
were significantly higher but I don't remember the levels.

We observed a enhancement of growth, faster rooting, more shoots, thicker
stems and larger leaves, cuttings returning to full turgor much faster
than normal. Since CO2 effects the water chemistry and condition, were
some of the effects similar to the responses seen when chrysanthemum
cuttings are "B-nine Dipped" or Hydrated with a nutrient solution as was
done commercially 10+ years later. Or would a combination of
conditions,(CO2,Nutrient Mist,B-nine Dipping,controlled media
temps,liquid rooting hormone), designed to promote maximum growth and rooting produce even more rapid
growth and development than we are now seeing?
Sounds like an interesting project for someone with a big research budget.

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Mon Mar 6 12:50:10 1995
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 20:50:10 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)
Subject: Re: Trifluralin not a ground water concern????

To: Jim Knuteson
While your statement that the correct application of TREFLAN as per the
DowElanco label is safe when correctly applied due to the very low mobility
of Treflan is absolutely correct I still do not agree with your gut feel
with respect to SSD, which is not covered by any Treflan label.
I cannot find any mention of Treflan being applied by chemigation except
where it is spread uniformly on the surface.
Steve Jordan and I were discussing the matter of injection of Treflan
subsurface (usually about 18" deep) as part of the irrigation cycle. The
immobility can cause "hotspots" under most circumstances. on the other hand
there is a laboratory column study by a Federal National Laboratory of the
movement of trifluralin applied at the rate of 1.6 pints per acre by
subsurface drip irrigation in silt clay (Hawaiian/Kauai) and a silt loam
(WA Palouse). Under different circumstances which can occur in practice, in
particular at high soil moisture conditions, a considerable amount of
trifluralin was found in the leachate from the columns.
This is a private document and has not been published. However your
colleague, Dr. Denny Lade has a copy which he may share with you.
If the scientific community shows the interest I could approach the
scientists involved to publish.

Rodney.

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Mon Mar 6 12:50:27 1995
Date: Mon, 6 Mar 1995 20:50:27 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

Angelo Mazzei of eponymous injector fame, has been doing trials of
injecting both air and CO2 with water applied by both surface drip and SSD.
He reports good results.

Rodney

From srawlins@beta.tricity.wsu.edu Mon Mar 6 23:37:34 1995
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 07:37:34 -0800 (PST)
From: "Stephen L. Rawlins" <srawlins@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>

Check with Bruce Kimble at the Water Conservation Lab in Phoenix
(602-379-4356). A great deal of effort was made to determine the effect
of "fizwater" on cotton growth by one of his colleagues -- with little
success, I might add.

From MUELLER@495-simon.agrartech.uni-hohenheim.de Tue Mar 7 19:23:17 1995
From: "Jochen Mueller" <MUELLER@495-simon.agrartech.uni-hohenheim.de>
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 18:23:17 +0100
Subject: solar pumping

Hallo, may I introduce myself as a new member of trickle-l:

I am working at the Institute for Agricultural Engineering in the
Tropics and Subtropics, Hohenheim University, Stuttgart, FRG.

My field is irrigation in tropics and subtropics.

Just now, we are starting a project about trickle irrigation with
solar energy in Egypt. Our objective is to reduce pumping head by all
means (big pipe diameters, sand filter, etc.) without loosing unifom
distribution. Who has gained experience?

J. Mueller

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Tue Mar 7 03:56:43 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Re: Microirrigation Congress Hotel Registrations
Date: 07 Mar 95 09:56:43 CST

Please note that many of the hotel reservation forms are being
returned to people who are MAILING them in because the address is not
correct on the Preliminary Program Housing Form (although it is
correct inside the front cover of the program). The address should
list Kissimmee, FL rather than Orlando, FL. The correct address is

Hyatt Orlando Hotel
6375 W. Irlo Bronson Hwy.
Kissimmee, FL 34747

Phone (407) 396-1234
FAX (407) 396-3876

Please pass this along to anyone who inquires.

Freddie Lamm

From dagoldhamer@ucdavis.edu Tue Mar 7 07:28:17 1995
From: dagoldhamer@ucdavis.edu
Date: Tue, 7 Mar 1995 14:28:17 -0700

On March 7, 1995, Jochen Mueller wrote:

"Just now, we are starting a project about trickle irrigation with
solar energy in Egypt. Our objective is to reduce pumping head by all
means (big pipe diameters, sand filter, etc.) without loosing unifom
distribution. Who has gained experience?"

One option might be to use a gravity type screen filter rather than sand
media or other types of filters that result in head loss. The screen
filters are large boxes where water is channelled over a screen. The
screens are cleaned constantly by rotating sprayers located under the
screen and are powered by line pressure. There is no pressure loss over
the screens.

There filters have been used for many years on the East side of the San
Joaquin Valley to filter out sand pumped from wells. In the last few
years, they have become popular in the remainder of the Valley. I've seen
them work well with California Aqueduct water that can contain high levels
of organic materials (algae, fish, etc.).

The major drawback of the screens filter is that since it's not
pressurized, a booster pump after the filter is required. Thus, if one had
water delivered in a pipe line under pressure, it would waste energy to use
this filter.

The screen filters are available from a variety of sources including Fresno
Valve and Castings.

Dave Goldhamer
Water Management Specialist
dagoldhamer@ucdavis.edu

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Tue Mar 7 11:35:01 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Index of authors for Microirrigation Congress
Date: 07 Mar 95 17:35:01 CST

Final preparations are being made for the Microirrigation Congress,
April 2-6, 1995 in Orlando, Florida. I hope many Trickle-l
subscribers will be part of the Congress. In case you want to
cross reference to see if someone is an author or coauthor for the
Congress, here is the author index for the proceedings. I'm not sure
if it will transmit in a readable form.

Adey, M. A........... 621 Chauhan, H. S......... 446,
597, 818, 824,
Agodzo, S. K.......... 621 857, 863,
875, 881,
Alekperov, Ch......... 566 893, 899,
909, 913,
Amin, M. S. M........ 869 919
Anandacoomaraswamy, A.. 745 Cho, T.............. 80
Annandale, J. G........ 840 Clark, D. A........... 147
Arellano S., J. A........ 522 Clark, G. A........... 43,
49, 325, 516,
Arnold, M. A.......... 571 851
Assaf, R............. 486 Clark, K............. 792
Ayars, J. E........... 141 Clothier, B. E......... 603
Babu, G. R........... 824 Collingwood, C. D...... 502
Ballard, D........... 147 Cross, P............. 262
Bar, I.............. 239, 645 Crossman, S. M. A...... 502
Bar-Yosef, B.......... 200 Cumming, B. A........ 104
Barth, H. K........... 168 Dahan, I............. 486
Barukhin, F........... 566 Dale, F............. 110,
141
Batchelor, C. H........ 717 Dalvi, V. B........... 775
Bauer, P. J........... 368 Dang, Y............. 835
Beeson, Jr., R. C........ 552, Dasberg, S........... 281
Ben-Asher, J.......... 566 David, I............. 97
Bendale, S. K......... 818 Davidoff, B........... 769
Bendixen, W.......... 769 Davies, F. S.......... 31
Bianchi, M........... 792 Davis, K. R........... 147
Biggar, J. W.......... 110 De Clercq, W. P........ 123
Biggs, M. S........... 477 De la Pena, J. M........ 194
Boggess, W. G......... 325 De Paco, J. L.......... 74
Boman, B. J.......... 325, 544,De0Silva, C. S......... 949
Bonnet, F............ 67 De Zayas Diaz, J....... 932
Bowers, W........... 769 Dedrick, A. R......... 303
Bracy, R. P........... 181 DeMalach, Y.......... 97
Bralts, V. F........... 60, 799Dhuyvetter, K. C....... 395
Bravdo, B............ 486 Dickinson, W. T........ 628
Bravo, A. D.......... 110 Dogar, M. S.......... 129
Bressan, T........... 297 Du Plessis, H. M....... 123
Briones S., G.......... 522 Dua, S. K............ 341
Brooks, R............ 656 Duraisaminathan, V...... 830
Brown, P. H.......... 110 Durden, B. R.......... 538
Bucklin, R. A......... 37 Edling, R. J...........
181, 223
Bucks, D. A.......... 1 Ephrath, J............ 566
Bui, W............. 592 Erol, C............. 104
Busscher, W. J......... 638, 76Evett, S. R........... 135
Byles, J. D........... 688 Fipps, G............. 510
Camp, C. R........... 368, 638,Funt, R. C........... 470,
477
Campbell, G. S........ 840 Furest, J............. 756
Cao, W............. 54 Garcia, C............ 756
Carrillo, M........... 851 Garg, R............. 457
Carvajal, A........... 769 Gaspard, M. J......... 223
Castel, J. R........... 961 Genito, S............ 300
Castro, B. F.......... 538 Gerard, B............ 923
Champion, D. W....... 228 Germana, C.......... 806
Chandio, B. A......... 526 Gerrish, P. J.......... 60
Chapman, F. A......... 37 Giannetto, G. B........ 431
Chatterjee, C.......... 91 Gillerman, L.......... 97

Ginestar, C........... 961 Lyrene, P. M.......... 420
Golakiya, B. A......... 464 Magar, S. S........... 452,
735
Golden, J. C.......... 470, 477Malavia, D. D......... 464
Gowing, J. W......... 621 Manges, H. L......... 382,
388
Gupta, R. K.......... 628 Marans, E............ 675
Gushiken, E. C......... 269 Marcu, A............ 244,
250
Hallel, R............ 486 Marouelli, W. A........ 904
Haman, D. Z.......... 325, 336,Mc2Farlane, G......... 104
Hanson, B. R.......... 651, 769McFarland, M. J........ 571
Hawk, C. A........... 147 Mehdi, S. M.......... 129
Haydu, J. J........... 552, 559Meiri, A............. 123
Henggeler, J. C........ 669 Meron, M............ 486
Hills, D. J............ 887 Meso, B............. 141
Holsambre, D. G....... 497 Miao, F............. 835
Howell, T. A.......... 135, 375Modi, P. M........... 944
Huang, Z. M.......... 382 Moolman, J. H......... 116,
123
Hudson, N........... 147 Moore, C............ 532
Hung, J. Y. T.......... 288, 29Mor, E.............. 615
Hunt, P. G........... 368 Moser, E. B.......... 181
Hussain, N........... 129 Mote, C. R........... 750
Hussain, T........... 129 Munguia L., J. P........ 522
Hutmacher, R. B....... 110, 147Nakano, Y........... 694
Ibrahim, M. A......... 708 Neary, P. E........... 187
Imas, P............. 200 Neibling, H........... 656
Inoue, M............ 812 Nightingale, H. I....... 110
Ishaq, A. M........... 708 Nir, D.............. 442
Ishizaki, K........... 80 Nishiyama, S.......... 80,
84, 255
Jaiswal, C. S.......... 875 Obreza, T. A.......... 275,
325
Jeznach, J............ 336 Oceguera, N.......... 932
Jorgensen, G. S........ 300 Olson, S. M.......... 538
Kang, Y............. 84 Or, D.............. 214
Karlen, D. L.......... 638 Or, U.............. 937
Kasapligil, D.......... 769 Oron, G............. 97, 615
Kawano, H........... 80, 84 Palada, M. C.......... 502
Keeley, M........... 147 Pandey, A. K.......... 857,
863
Kenig, E............ 615 Papajorgji, P.......... 532
Kerby, T. A.......... 147 Parsons, L. R.......... 25,
262, 325
Khan, A. A........... 609 Parsons, M. L......... 544,
701
Khan, G. D........... 129 Parwal, D. S.......... 875
Khanpara, V. D........ 464 Paterson, J. W......... 187
Klaij, M. C........... 923 Pawade, M. N......... 775
Kline, J. L........... 969 Payne, W. A.......... 923
Knox, G. W.......... 325 Paz, E.............. 244,
250
Kreuter, U. D......... 688 Penland, J............ 141
Krinik, A. C.......... 288 Perez, E............. 510
Kuroda, M........... 694 Peters, D. W.......... 110
Lamm, F. R.......... 388, 395 Peters, M............ 147
Larhrafi, M........... 255 Petillo, M. G..........
431, 492
Lazur, A. M.......... 37 Pflaum, T............ 110
Lei, T.............. 799 Phene, C. J........... 6,
141, 147, 155,
Lesaffre, B. E......... 603 359
Lev, Y.............. 244 Phillips, K. P.......... 579
Levin, A............ 486 Pierzgalski, E.........
336, 729
Lidon, A. L........... 961 Pitts, D. J............
275, 792
Locascio, S. J......... 175, 32Pogue, W. R.......... 969

Pritchard, R. T......... 420 Somasundaram, M. V.... 830
Pundarikanthan, N. V..... 830 Sood, V. K........... 881
Quintana, R.......... 756 Soopramanien, G. C..... 717
Ram, S............. 909 Spurgeon, W. E........ 382,
388
Ramirez R., L. E....... 522 Srivastava, P..........
893, 899
Ramos, C............ 961 Stanley, C. D.......... 43,
49, 516
Rao, M. I............ 526 Stewart, B. A.......... 375
Rao, P. K............ 913, 919 Steyn, W. H.......... 116
Raut, D. B........... 944 Storlie, C. A..........
187, 414
Ravina, I............ 244, 250 Suggs, S............ 228
Revol, Ph............ 603 Suryawanshi, S. K...... 347
Reynolds, C. A........ 402 Swietlik, D........... 955
Rhoads, F. M.......... 325, 538Tajrishy, M........... 887
Rodrigo, J........... 67 Tanaka, A........... 812
Rogers, D. H.......... 388, 395Tenny, L. S........... 331
Rolston, D. E.......... 110 Thayer, S. S.......... 682,
975
Roseberg, R.......... 54 Tiwari, K. N.......... 91,
775
Rudra, R. P........... 628 Toledo, E............ 932
Ruskin, R............ 155 Tomsicek, D. J......... 382
Sadler, E. J........... 638, 76Turner, M............ 37
Sagi, G............. 244, 250 Ulmer, D. S.......... 331
Said, S. B............ 436 Vachaud, G........... 603
Saksena, R. S......... 353 Vail, S. S............ 110,
147
Salgado, L. G......... 723 Valiente-Banuet, J. I.....
209
Sardo, V. I........... 806 Valiente-Gomez, M...... 209
Sarwar, G............ 129 Van Bavel, M. G....... 234
Satpute, G. U.......... 775 Van Niekerk, A. S....... 586
Sawleshwarkar, N. R..... 550 Vartak, D. R.......... 571
Schischa, A........... 244, 250Vera, J.............. 194
Schmidt, J. R.......... 664 Wallach, R........... 486
Schmittgen, M. C....... 470, 47Welsh, D. F.......... 688
Schneider, A. D........ 135, 37Wessels, W. P. J........
116, 123
Schoneman, R. A....... 141 Wheaton, T. A......... 25,
262, 787
Segawa, S........... 812 Worthington, J. W...... 664
Selker, J. S........... 54 Wu, I. P............. 781
Shayya, W. H......... 799 Xin, J. N............ 532,
787
Sheta, A. E........... 402 Yamamoto, T......... 812
Shete, D. T........... 944 Yaseen, S. M.......... 526
Shukla, K. N.......... 818, 824Yeager,863T............ 209,
325
913 Yechiely, Z........... 244,
250
Silva, W. L. C......... 904 Yitayew, M........... 402,
609
Singh, A. K........... 457 Yoder, R. E........... 750
Singh, Jaspal......... 457 Yokotsuka, S.......... 812
Singh, Joginder........ 633 Yue, R.............. 60
Singh, K. K........... 857, 863Yurgalevitch, C. M...... 331
Singh, K. L........... 909 Zajicek, J. M.......... 571
Singh, Rajinder........ 633 Zazueta, F. S.......... 37,
209, 314, 325,
Singh, Raj V.......... 913, 919 420, 425,
516, 532,
Sivanappan, R. K....... 740 787, 851
Smajstrla, A. G........ 175, 32Zhang,, 4K............ 835
516, 787, 851 Zoldoske, D. F......... 300

Sobhana, H. K......... 464
Sofer, Z............. 244
Sojka, R. E........... 638

From gidi@bgumail.bgu.ac.il Wed Mar 8 09:29:11 1995
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 07:29:11 +0200 (IST)
From: gideon oron <gidi@bgumail.bgu.ac.il>

Dear Prof. Lamm
Autors with initials of "M", "N"........
are missing. For your attention.

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Wed Mar 8 04:43:25 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Date: 08 Mar 95 10:43:25 CST

Dear Prof. Lamm
Authors with initials of "M", "N"........
are missing. For your attention.

COMMENTS FROM FREDDIE LAMM, APRIL 8
In the returned reply you sent to me the authors with M and N are
included in the second column. It may be the case that the
particular email program you are using does not format the width of
the screen the same amount. I will see if I can reformat my list to
make it a smoother list for others also.

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Wed Mar 8 05:04:49 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: New & Improved Author Index
Date: 08 Mar 95 11:04:49 CST

Here is a second attempt at improving the output of the author index
for the Microirrigation Congress, April 2-6, 1995, Orlando, Florida.
The page numbers following the name are the page numbers their paper
starts on. You can count the number of listings to see how many
papers an author was author or co-author on. This index looks much
better in the complete proceedings, so I hope everyone will get one
at the Congress or order one after the Congress. NO, I DON'T GET
ROYALTIES FOR PROCEEDINGS SALES. FREDDIE

Adey, M. A........... 621
Agodzo, S. K.......... 621
Alekperov, Ch......... 566
Amin, M. S. M........ 869
Anandacoomaraswamy, A.. 745
Annandale, J. G........ 840
Arellano S., J. A........ 522
Arnold, M. A.......... 571
Assaf, R............. 486
Ayars, J. E........... 141
Babu, G. R........... 824
Ballard, D........... 147
Bar, I.............. 239, 645
Bar-Yosef, B.......... 200
Barth, H. K........... 168
Barukhin, F........... 566
Batchelor, C. H........ 717
Bauer, P. J........... 368
Beeson, Jr., R. C........ 552, 559
Ben-Asher, J.......... 566
Bendale, S. K......... 818
Bendixen, W.......... 769
Bianchi, M........... 792
Biggar, J. W.......... 110
Biggs, M. S........... 477
Boggess, W. G......... 325
Boman, B. J.......... 325, 544, 701
Bonnet, F............ 67
Bowers, W........... 769
Bracy, R. P........... 181
Bralts, V. F........... 60, 799
Bravdo, B............ 486
Bravo, A. D.......... 110
Bressan, T........... 297
Briones S., G.......... 522
Brooks, R............ 656
Brown, P. H.......... 110
Bucklin, R. A......... 37
Bucks, D. A.......... 1
Bui, W............. 592
Busscher, W. J......... 638, 763
Byles, J. D........... 688
Camp, C. R........... 368, 638, 763
Campbell, G. S........ 840
Cao, W............. 54
Carrillo, M........... 851
Carvajal, A........... 769
Castel, J. R........... 961
Castro, B. F.......... 538
Champion, D. W....... 228
Chandio, B. A......... 526
Chapman, F. A......... 37
Chatterjee, C.......... 91
Chauhan, H. S......... 446, 597, 818, 824,
857, 863, 875, 881,
893, 899, 909, 913,
919
Cho, T.............. 80
Clark, D. A........... 147
Clark, G. A........... 43, 49, 325, 516,
851
Clark, K............. 792
Clothier, B. E......... 603
Collingwood, C. D...... 502
Cross, P............. 262
Crossman, S. M. A...... 502
Cumming, B. A........ 104
Dahan, I............. 486
Dale, F............. 110, 141
Dalvi, V. B........... 775
Dang, Y............. 835
Dasberg, S........... 281
David, I............. 97
Davidoff, B........... 769
Davies, F. S.......... 31
Davis, K. R........... 147
De Clercq, W. P........ 123
De la Pena, J. M........ 194
De Paco, J. L.......... 74
De Silva, C. S......... 949
De Zayas Diaz, J....... 932
Dedrick, A. R......... 303
DeMalach, Y.......... 97
Dhuyvetter, K. C....... 395
Dickinson, W. T........ 628
Dogar, M. S.......... 129
Du Plessis, H. M....... 123
Dua, S. K............ 341
Duraisaminathan, V...... 830
Durden, B. R.......... 538
Edling, R. J........... 181, 223
Ephrath, J............ 566
Erol, C............. 104
Evett, S. R........... 135
Fipps, G............. 510
Funt, R. C........... 470, 477
Furest, J............. 756
Garcia, C............ 756
Garg, R............. 457
Gaspard, M. J......... 223
Genito, S............ 300
Gerard, B............ 923
Germana, C.......... 806
Gerrish, P. J.......... 60
Giannetto, G. B........ 431
Gillerman, L.......... 97
Ginestar, C........... 961
Golakiya, B. A......... 464
Golden, J. C.......... 470, 477
Gowing, J. W......... 621
Gupta, R. K.......... 628
Gushiken, E. C......... 269
Hallel, R............ 486
Haman, D. Z.......... 325, 336, 420, 723
Hanson, B. R.......... 651, 769
Hawk, C. A........... 147
Haydu, J. J........... 552, 559
Henggeler, J. C........ 669
Hills, D. J............ 887
Holsambre, D. G....... 497
Howell, T. A.......... 135, 375
Huang, Z. M.......... 382
Hudson, N........... 147
Hung, J. Y. T.......... 288, 292
Hunt, P. G........... 368
Hussain, N........... 129
Hussain, T........... 129
Hutmacher, R. B....... 110, 147
Ibrahim, M. A......... 708
Imas, P............. 200
Inoue, M............ 812
Ishaq, A. M........... 708
Ishizaki, K........... 80
Jaiswal, C. S.......... 875
Jeznach, J............ 336
Jorgensen, G. S........ 300
Kang, Y............. 84
Karlen, D. L.......... 638
Kasapligil, D.......... 769
Kawano, H........... 80, 84
Keeley, M........... 147
Kenig, E............ 615
Kerby, T. A.......... 147
Khan, A. A........... 609
Khan, G. D........... 129
Khanpara, V. D........ 464
Klaij, M. C........... 923
Kline, J. L........... 969
Knox, G. W.......... 325
Kreuter, U. D......... 688
Krinik, A. C.......... 288
Kuroda, M........... 694
Lamm, F. R.......... 388, 395
Larhrafi, M........... 255
Lazur, A. M.......... 37
Lei, T.............. 799
Lesaffre, B. E......... 603
Lev, Y.............. 244
Levin, A............ 486
Lidon, A. L........... 961
Locascio, S. J......... 175, 325
Lyrene, P. M.......... 420
Magar, S. S........... 452, 735
Malavia, D. D......... 464
Manges, H. L......... 382, 388
Marans, E............ 675
Marcu, A............ 244, 250
Marouelli, W. A........ 904
Mc Farlane, G......... 104
McFarland, M. J........ 571
Mehdi, S. M.......... 129
Meiri, A............. 123
Meron, M............ 486
Meso, B............. 141
Miao, F............. 835
Modi, P. M........... 944
Moolman, J. H......... 116, 123
Moore, C............ 532
Mor, E.............. 615
Moser, E. B.......... 181
Mote, C. R........... 750
Munguia L., J. P........ 522
Nakano, Y........... 694
Neary, P. E........... 187
Neibling, H........... 656
Nightingale, H. I....... 110
Nir, D.............. 442
Nishiyama, S.......... 80, 84, 255
Obreza, T. A.......... 275, 325
Oceguera, N.......... 932
Olson, S. M.......... 538
Or, D.............. 214
Or, U.............. 937
Oron, G............. 97, 615
Palada, M. C.......... 502
Pandey, A. K.......... 857, 863
Papajorgji, P.......... 532
Parsons, L. R.......... 25, 262, 325
Parsons, M. L......... 544, 701
Parwal, D. S.......... 875
Paterson, J. W......... 187
Pawade, M. N......... 775
Payne, W. A.......... 923
Paz, E.............. 244, 250
Penland, J............ 141
Perez, E............. 510
Peters, D. W.......... 110
Peters, M............ 147
Petillo, M. G.......... 431, 492
Pflaum, T............ 110
Phene, C. J........... 6, 141, 147, 155,
359
Phillips, K. P.......... 579
Pierzgalski, E......... 336, 729
Pitts, D. J............ 275, 792
Pogue, W. R.......... 969
Pritchard, R. T......... 420
Pundarikanthan, N. V..... 830
Quintana, R.......... 756
Ram, S............. 909
Ramirez R., L. E....... 522
Ramos, C............ 961
Rao, M. I............ 526
Rao, P. K............ 913, 919
Raut, D. B........... 944
Ravina, I............ 244, 250
Revol, Ph............ 603
Reynolds, C. A........ 402
Rhoads, F. M.......... 325, 538
Rodrigo, J........... 67
Rogers, D. H.......... 388, 395
Rolston, D. E.......... 110
Roseberg, R.......... 54
Rudra, R. P........... 628
Ruskin, R............ 155
Sadler, E. J........... 638, 763
Sagi, G............. 244, 250
Said, S. B............ 436
Saksena, R. S......... 353
Salgado, L. G......... 723
Sardo, V. I........... 806
Sarwar, G............ 129
Satpute, G. U.......... 775
Sawleshwarkar, N. R..... 550
Schischa, A........... 244, 250
Schmidt, J. R.......... 664
Schmittgen, M. C....... 470, 477
Schneider, A. D........ 135, 375
Schoneman, R. A....... 141
Segawa, S........... 812
Selker, J. S........... 54
Shayya, W. H......... 799
Sheta, A. E........... 402
Shete, D. T........... 944
Shukla, K. N.......... 818, 824, 857, 863,
913
Silva, W. L. C......... 904
Singh, A. K........... 457
Singh, Jaspal......... 457
Singh, Joginder........ 633
Singh, K. K........... 857, 863, 909
Singh, K. L........... 909
Singh, Rajinder........ 633
Singh, Raj V.......... 913, 919
Sivanappan, R. K....... 740
Smajstrla, A. G........ 175, 325, 420, 425,
516, 787, 851
Sobhana, H. K......... 464
Sofer, Z............. 244
Sojka, R. E........... 638
Solomon, K. H......... 303
Somasundaram, M. V.... 830
Sood, V. K........... 881
Soopramanien, G. C..... 717
Spurgeon, W. E........ 382, 388
Srivastava, P.......... 893, 899
Stanley, C. D.......... 43, 49, 516
Stewart, B. A.......... 375
Steyn, W. H.......... 116
Storlie, C. A.......... 187, 414
Suggs, S............ 228
Suryawanshi, S. K...... 347
Swietlik, D........... 955
Tajrishy, M........... 887
Tanaka, A........... 812
Tenny, L. S........... 331
Thayer, S. S.......... 682, 975
Tiwari, K. N.......... 91, 775
Toledo, E............ 932
Tomsicek, D. J......... 382
Turner, M............ 37
Ulmer, D. S.......... 331
Vachaud, G........... 603
Vail, S. S............ 110, 147
Valiente-Banuet, J. I..... 209
Valiente-Gomez, M...... 209
Van Bavel, M. G....... 234
Van Niekerk, A. S....... 586
Vartak, D. R.......... 571
Vera, J.............. 194
Wallach, R........... 486
Welsh, D. F.......... 688
Wessels, W. P. J........ 116, 123
Wheaton, T. A......... 25, 262, 787
Worthington, J. W...... 664
Wu, I. P............. 781
Xin, J. N............ 532, 787
Yamamoto, T......... 812
Yaseen, S. M.......... 526
Yeager, T............ 209, 325
Yechiely, Z........... 244, 250
Yitayew, M........... 402, 609
Yoder, R. E........... 750
Yokotsuka, S.......... 812
Yue, R.............. 60
Yurgalevitch, C. M...... 331
Zajicek, J. M.......... 571
Zazueta, F. S.......... 37, 209, 314, 325,
420, 425, 516, 532,
787, 851
Zhang, K............ 835
Zoldoske, D. F......... 300

From Cdcsmeyer@aol.com Wed Mar 8 07:54:43 1995
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 12:54:43 -0500
From: Cdcsmeyer@aol.com
Subject: why are you here?

I'm a subscriber and a marketing communications exec. who's trying to figure
out why people use electronic media. If you don't mind, can you tell me why
you're here, and whether or not the medium has met your expectations.
Thanks
Chris Meyer
Rumrill-Hoyt
60 Corporate Woods
Rochester, NY 14623
(716) 272-6220
Fax (716) 272-6300

From Grsmiths@aol.com Wed Mar 8 11:00:09 1995
Date: Wed, 8 Mar 1995 16:00:09 -0500
From: Grsmiths@aol.com

I have seen a number of questions concerning injection of chemicals and
fertilizers into water. CO2 shares some of the same considerations that
should be made in all instances. What is the pHc of the water in question and
what is the character of the media or soil .CO2 in the presence of alkalinity
will probably become Bicarbonate or HCO3 . Is that good or bad ? The pHc is
a method of evaluating water quality that is indspensable and answers many
questions about the value of added products. If growers are not familar with
this method((pHc) it is best explained in a book by Joe Traynor called" Ideas
in Soil and Plant Nutrition" Kovac Books.

From sjordan@chainsaw.win.net Wed Mar 8 21:33:39 1995
Date: Tue, 07 Mar 1995 22:59:11
Subject: Re: solar pumping
From: sjordan@chainsaw.win.net (Steve Jordan)

>Just now, we are starting a project about trickle irrigation with
>solar energy in Egypt. Our objective is to reduce pumping head by all
>means (big pipe diameters, sand filter, etc.) without loosing unifom
>distribution. Who has gained experience?

There are two key areas: backflow (washing sand media) and the
pressure compensating valve.

Without good pressure, backflow does not work properly. In fact
proper backflow pressure is greater that necessary for
irrigation. Include in that you reduce the output by 25% more or
less (25% with four barrels). I have considered raising pressure
only during backflow. I.e. 50 psi during backflow 30 psi
otherwise.

The PC vavles may need a pressure loss to work right.

From MUELLER@495-simon.agrartech.uni-hohenheim.de Thu Mar 9 09:11:28 1995
From: "Jochen Mueller" <MUELLER@495-simon.agrartech.uni-hohenheim.de>
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 08:11:28 +0100
Subject: gravity screen filters

Dave Goldhamer answered me:
>The screen filters are available from a variety of sources including Fresno
>Valve and Castings.

Thank you for this hint. I am very interested in this type of
filters. May you give me the address of Fresno Valve and Castings to
order some more information ?

Thank you
Joachim Mueller

From alekperc@bgumail.bgu.ac.il Thu Mar 9 13:25:03 1995
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 10:25:03 +0300
From: alekperc@bgumail.bgu.ac.il (Genlin Jiao)

I'm Dr. Chingiz K.Alekperov from Institute For Desert Research
Sede-Boqer,84990 Israel. Yes, we are use CO2 in greenhouse Hippeastrum
production on sandy soil.
Response of this plant very big.
C. Alekperov

In a recent small article in the March 3, 1995 issue of the Wall Street
Journal, there was a story about a man who used seltzer water on plants,
claiming a 50% faster growth (I am assuming a CO2 enrichment phenomena
occurred). The article stated that experts don't challenge the story and say
"it's certainly not implausible". Are there any greenhouse people out there
that have tried this technique? I can see it now, injecting seltzer water
with a drip system in greenhouse production. The only problem is that seltzer
water at this time, only comes in bottles, NOT large drums.

R. Mead
List owner

From CTaylor26@aol.com Thu Mar 9 13:51:09 1995
Date: Thu, 9 Mar 1995 18:51:09 -0500
From: CTaylor26@aol.com
Subject: Re: why are you here?

My Name is Carl Taylor, I'm an Irrigation Contractor in the Seattle area.
I'm here to pick up on new ideas and old ideas made better and so far it has
been real interesting. I also work on a top 100 golf course were we have
used Netafim on some of our turf areas an it works real well. I would like
to take this time to thank everyone that has put their input here online.

Thanks again

Carl Taylor
Sure Shot Irrigation

From ConceptCre@aol.com Sat Mar 11 12:37:10 1995
Date: Sat, 11 Mar 1995 17:37:10 -0500
From: ConceptCre@aol.com
Subject: set mail to digest?

Hello,

I was trying to set my mail to digest mode, and received the following reply.
Could you please post a message to the list showing all those interested the
correct commands? At the end of this is an example from another list I was
trying to follow.

Thanks, Dave / "ConceptCre"

Subj: Returned mail - nameserver error report
Date: Fri, Mar 10, 1995 10:53 PM EST
From: MAILER-DAEMON@crcnis1.unl.edu
To: ConceptCre@aol.com

--------Message not delivered to the following:

listproc No matches to nameserver query

--------Error Detail (phquery V3.7):

The message, "No matches to nameserver query," is generated whenever
the ph nameserver fails to locate either a ph alias or name field that
matches the supplied name. The usual causes are typographical errors or
the use of nicknames. Recommended action is to use the ph program to
determine the correct ph alias for the individuals addressed. If ph is
not available, try sending to the most explicit form of the name, e.g.,
if mike-fox fails, try michael-j-fox.

--------Unsent Message below:

Date: Fri, 10 Mar 1995 22:47:44 -0500
From: ConceptCre@aol.com
To: listproc@unl.edu
Subject: digest

set trickle-l mail digest

--------End of Unsent Message

Example from another list I was trying to follow:

Subj: How to set the mailing list to digest mode
Date: Fri, Mar 10, 1995 3:38 PM EST
From: emu-ratite@magic.yournet.com
Sender: emu-ratite@magic.yournet.com
To: emu-ratite@magic.yournet.com (Multiple recipients of list)

I have been asked by a couple of people how to set the mailing list to digest

mode.
After researching this further the command is.

Send email
TO: listproc@magic.yournet.com
Subj:
Body: set emu-ratite mail digest

* *
* Want to talk Emu's Then Send Email to *
* Ektor@magic.yournet.com *
* *

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sun Mar 12 18:02:15 1995
Date: Sun, 12 Mar 1995 23:02:15 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Re: set mail to digest?

If you want all the email message for Trickle-l daily in a tidy little
package, send: SET TRICKLE-L MAIL DIGEST to LISTSERV@UNL.EDU.

R. Mead
List owner

Let me know if you continue to have problems.

From rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov Mon Mar 13 06:56:51 1995
Date: Mon, 13 Mar 1995 11:56:51 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: New member response

Enclosed is a copy of a message I received from Gary Clark, a new member to
Trickle-L.

I am currently located at the Biological and Agricultural
Engineering Dept at Kansas State Univ. (since Aug. 1994). I was
previously with the University of Florida a the Gulf Coast Research
Center (near Tampa, FL) from 1986 until July 1994 and worked with
microirrigation of vegetable and flowering ornamental crops. (Mostly
drip). Areas of emphasis included:

* Vegetable crop water requirements (tomatoes, peppers, strawberries,
watermelons).
* Water movement in soils from point source emitters (mostly sands).
* Irrigation scheduling for shallow rooted crops on sandy soils.
* Soil amendment with municipal solid waste compost (MSWC) and drip
irrigation.
* Subirrigation (not SSD) using drip irrigation laterals (this is
unique to humid regions with high water tables).
* Bed width for mulched bed, drip irrigated vegetable production.
* Some fertigation studies.
* Water treatment and amendment to prevent (or minimize clogging)
from surface water sources and ground water with high levels of iron,
sulfur, and/or calcium carbonate (chlorination and acid injection).

I will begin working on subsurface drip irrigation with Freddie Lamm
and others at KSU. In particular I will focus on system design
aspects such as emitter placement, discharge rate, soil amendment,
etc.
Very Truly Yours,

Gary A. Clark, P.E.
Associate Professor
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
Kansas State Univ.
Manhattan, KS 66502
913.532.5580
gclark@falcon.age.ksu.edu

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Mon Mar 13 09:45:35 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Re: Repeat Information about 5th Microirrigation Congress
Date: 13 Mar 95 15:45:35 CST

Please help us publicize the Congress to you colleagues. We feel the
Congress is truly international.

If you need information and you are not getting it in a timely
fashion from ASAE, please contact me immediately and I will try to
accomodate you questions.

The following information is provided by

Freddie Lamm
Research Agricultural Engineer
Kansas State University
105 Experiment Farm Road
Colby, Kansas 67701-1697
flamm@oznet.ksu.edu
Phone: 913-462-6281
FAX: 913-462-2315
Proceedings Chair
5th International Microirrigation Congress

The Fifth International Microirrigation Congress truly will be an
international forum featuring 156 technical presentations
representing the work of 313 authors from 28 different countries
throughout the world. The strong participation by so many authors
from so many countries will greatly contribute to the success and
quality of the Congress. In addition to the Congress Proceedings
which will total 986 pages, ASAE will augment this effort with a
special commemorative compilation of microirrigation papers
published from 1985-1994 in the Transactions of the ASAE and
Applied Engineering in Agriculture.

An exposition of microirrigation products will be another major
component of the Congress featuring exhibits by over 35 companies. As
an important segment of the Congress, delegates are encouraged to
select from four optional post-conference tours. Delegates will
have the opportunity to observe the design, testing, and
manufacturing of microirrigation system components at 5
different manufacturing facilities located in central Florida. Tours
of large scale agricultural enterprises and commercial nurseries
using microirrigation for a wide variety of crop production systems
will also be available. One tour will include visits to Water
Conserv II, the largest agricultural irrigation reclaimed water
project of its type in the world, and to the Orlando
International Airport where microirrigation is used to irrigate
ornamental landscape areas throughout the vast complex. Delegates
could also get a firsthand behind-the-scenes look at how Disney
World uses microirrigation at EPCOT Center and the Land Pavillion.

The Congress will be held April 2-5 at the Hyatt Hotel, 6375
W. Irlo Bronson Memorial Highway, Kissimmee, Florida 34747.
Phone 407-396-1234. Fax 407-396-3876. Conference room rates are
$99 for single or double occupancy (this does not include room taxes).
You are responsible for making your own reservations. MENTION that
you are a 5th International Microirrigation Congress delegate.

Weather in the Orlando area in early April is generally very
pleasant. April is normally one of the driest months so skies usually
clear with very little significant rainfall occurring. However,
occasional thunderstorms are not uncommon. Daily high temperatures
are normally in the 80-85F (26-29C) range with low temperatures
averaging about 58-62F (14-17C).

If you need further registration information about the Congress send
an Email request to Judy Brown at ASAE.

brown@asae.org Judy Brown, ASAE

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Mon Mar 13 09:57:17 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: 6 invited speakers for microirrigation Congress
Date: 13 Mar 95 15:57:17 CST

Six special speakers have been invited to give their perspectives
on microirrigation at the upcoming 5th International Microirrigation
Congress (Orlando, Florida, April 2-6, 1995). This is in addition to
152 other technical presentations.

INVITED SPEAKER BIOGRAPHICAL INFORMATION

***DALE A. BUCKS

Dale Bucks joined the National Program Staff of the U.S.
Department of Agriculture's Agriculture Research Service in
January 1988. He has a Master's Degree in Agricultural
Engineering from South Dakota State University and a Ph.D. in Soil
and Water Science from the University of Arizona. Dr. Bucks'
research career includes 18 years at the U.S. Water
Conservation Laboratory with an emphasis on microirrigation and level
basin irrigation methods, crop evapotranspiration, irrigation
scheduling, and alternative crops for desert environments. He has
authored or co-authored over 140 publications and papers, was the
editor of the textbook "Trickle Irrigation for Crop
Production", and has received a number of awards and honors
throughout his career. He is currently the National Program Leader
for Water Quality and Water Management and is Co-Chair of the
Research and Development Committee for the USDA Working Group
on Water Quality. He represents the U.S. Department of Agriculture
on several subcommittees for the Committee on Environmental and
Natural Resource Research of the National Science and
Technology Council. He has been an active member and chaired
committees within the American Society of Agricultural Engineers,
American Society of Civil Engineers, and the Guayule Rubber
Society. He is a member of the Board of Directors for the U.S.
Committee on Irrigation and Drainage (1992-94), has been the
chairman of the Working Group on Microirrigation for the
International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage (since 1988),
and has been involved in projects in Pakistan, Egypt, North Yemen,
and Australia.

***CLAUDE J. PHENE

Claude Phene is owner and operator of SDI+, Clovis, California,
specializing in consulting for irrigation and soil science. He
has a BA degree in Physics and a Ph.D in Soil Science (Physics) both
from University of California-Riverside. He worked for the USDA
Agricultural Research Service from 1967-94 in the soil and water
management area in various positions with tenures in South Carolina
and California. He is a recognized authority in subsurface drip
irrigation (SDI) with specific expertise in irrigation and
fertigation management and automation and control of SDI systems.
He served as Congress Co-Chair for the Third International
Drip/Trickle Congress held in Fresno, California in 1985. Dr.
Phene's research has been published in over 250 scientific and
technical publications. He has consulted on a part time basis
to several state, federal and world agencies since 1976. Dr.
Phene has been honored with six USDA-ARS Outstanding and Merit
Service Awards, and three ASAE Service Awards. Dr. Phene is
a member of the American Society of Agricultural Engineers,
American Society of Agronomy, Soil Science Society of America,
International Soil Science Society, Irrigation Association,
California Irrigation Institute and the U. S. Committee for
Irrigation and Drainage.

****KENNETH H. SOLOMON

Ken Solomon is Senior Irrigation Engineer with the Center for
Irrigation Technology (CIT) and Director for Research, School of
Agricultural Sciences and Technology, California State
University-Fresno. He has a BS degree in Mathematics from Harvey
Mudd College and a Ph.D in Irrigation Engineering from Utah State
University. He has over 25 years experience in the irrigation
industry, including positions with the private sector, USDA-ARS and
universities, with specific expertise in design, testing and
evaluation of microirrigation and sprinkler irrigation products and
management strategies. He has consulted on irrigation and water
management with over 140 domestic and international organizations
on projects in 31 countries and is a frequent US delegate to the
International Standards Organization's committee on Standards for
Irrigation and Drainage. Dr. Solomon received the Irrigation
Association Award for Distinguished Service in 1990 and has also
been honored as a invited Visiting Scholar to universities in
Egypt, India, Kazakhstan and Mexico. Dr. Solomon is a member of
the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, currently serving
as Director of the Soil and Water Division, and also a member of
the Irrigation Association, California Irrigation Institute and the
Florida Irrigation Society.

****ALLEN R. DEDRICK

Allen Dedrick is the director of the U. S. Department of
Agriculture's (USDA) U.S. Water Conservation Laboratory in
Phoenix, Arizona. He has B.S. (1962) and M.S. (1963) degrees in
Agricultural Engineering from the University of Nebraska and a
Ph.D. (1973) in Agricultural Engineering from Utah State
University. Dr. Dedrick has been employed with the USDA
Agricultural Research Service (ARS) since 1958. His research
has covered such topics as erosion controlling mulching
studies, water harvesting techniques, seepage and evaporation
control, and irrigation engineering with a focus on level basin
system design, management, and automation. He has also worked on a
program to improve the management of irrigation projects including
the interface between irrigation districts and on- farm needs. Dr.
Dedrick is an active member of and has chaired committees within
the American Society of Agricultural Engineers, the American
Society of Civil Engineers, and the Irrigation Association. He been
very active in societal committee activities, technical
presentations, and standards development.

****FEDRO S. ZAZUETA

Fedro Zazueta is a native of Mexico, where he obtained
degrees in Civil Engineering and Agronomy. He obtained a
Ph.D. in Agricultural Engineering at Colorado State University in
Irrigation and Drainage in 1982. Since then, he has been at the
University of Florida where he is a professor of Agricultural and
Biological Engineering. He is currently involved in research and
extension programs in water management, and teaches the courses of
Drainage and Hydraulic Structures, and Advances in
Microirrigation. He has authored and co-authored over 600
technical papers and other publications including software
development related to irrigation and water management. He has
been heavily involved in international consulting in areas related
to water management, irrigation, and computer based
technologies such as expert systems, geographic information
systems, data acquisition and control and information technologies.

*****JOHN HENNESSY

John Hennessy is Vice-Chairman of the international consultants, Sir
Alexander Gibb & Partners Limited - Reading, UK and Director of Law
Companies International, Inc. Atlanta, GA, USA. He is Chairman of
the Advisory Board of the Institute of Irrigation Studies,
Southhampton, UK and also Chairs the Editorial Board of the ICID
Bulletin - International Commission on Irrigation and Drainage. He
is immediate past President of ICID and is presently tasked to lead
the ICID Global Water Conservation Action Plan. He graduated from
Oxford University in 1960 and was awarded the Degree of Bachelor of
Arts (Engineering Science). In 1964 the University conferred the
Degree of Master of Arts (Engineering Science). During his 34 years
with the GIBB-LAW Consulting Group he has worked on major water
resource studies and developments in more than 25 countries
throughout Europe, Africa, Middle East and Asia. He is a
Fellow of both the Institution of Civil Engineers and Institution
of Water and Environmental Management. He was elected to
membership of the Russian Academy of Engineering in 1994. John
Hennessy has served on a number of national and
international scientific inter-disciplinary research and
development committees. He is a Fellow of the Royal Society
of Arts and Sciences and a Colonel in the Engineering and
Logistics Corps. (British Army).

From meissner.tony@wpo.pi.sa.gov.au Tue Mar 14 23:13:33 1995
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 13:43:33 +0930
From: meissner.tony@wpo.pi.sa.gov.au

I was wondering if anyone has had experience with buried slotted
pipe as a means of sub surface irrigation. Slotted pipe is a 50 mm
PVC pipe with slots around the circumference of the pipe and
space about every 25 mm linearly (ie along the length of the pipe).
The expereince so far in the irrigated horticulture Mallee region in
Australia (the area adjoining the 3 State borders of South Aust,
Victoria and New South Wales on the River Murray) that it seems to
work OK but we do not have any data on how best to operate it. We
have received interim approval for funding the investigate the
operational design of such systems.

Cheers
Tony M :-)
* Tony Meissner *
* Senior Research Scientist (Soils) *
* SA Research & Development Institute *
* PO Box 411, Loxton SA, Australia 5333 *
* Tel. 085 85 9146 *
* Fax: 085 85 9199 *
* email Meissner.Tony@pi.sa.gov.au *

From GCLARK@falcon.age.ksu.edu Tue Mar 14 05:17:50 1995
From: "Gary Clark" <GCLARK@falcon.age.ksu.edu>
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 11:17:50 CST
Subject: 5th International Microirrigation Congress - April 2-5, 1995

The 5th International Microirrigation Congress is almost here. If
you plan to go, please register ASAP. If you are not sure, remember
that this is a great opportunity to see the latest in microirrigation
(drip, trickle, micro-spray, bubble, subsurface, etc.). The next
Micro Congress will not occur until the year 2000 and will be in
South Africa (this may be much closer for some ).

For information please contact the Amer. Soc. Agric. Engr. (ASAE) at
616-429-0300 or FAX at 616.429.3852 (St. Joseph, MI, USA). Ask for
Judy Brown, Linda Fritsch, or just info on the Micro Congress. Their
E- mail addresses are: brown@asae.org and fritsch@asae.org . A
trade show will also be at the Micro Congress with the following
exhibitors on the attached list (others may still sign up, contact
ASAE at the above numbers).

Gary A. Clark
Program Chair - 5th Int'l Microirrigation Congress
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
147 Seaton Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66502
913.532.5580
gclark@falcon.age.ksu.edu

Exhibitors - 5th Int'l Microirrigation Congress

Agricultural Products Inc.
Amiad Filtration Systems
Antelco Corp
BCP Electronics
Bermad Inc.
Bowsmith Inc.
Boynton Pump & Irrigation Supply
Brewer International
Chapin Watermatics, Inc.
Claude Laval Corp.
Cornell Pump
Dynamax Inc.
Earth Science Labs.
Everfilt
Fresno Valves & Castings
G. S. Gabel Corp.
Geoflow
Hardie Irrigation
International Irrigation Supply
Iran Trickle Irrigation
Irrometer
Irridelco
Irrigation-Mart
Jain Irrigation
Lovett Irrigation Inc.
Maxijet Inc.
Microjet Irrigation Systems Inc.
Miller Leaman
Netafim Irrigation
Plastro Irrigation
Rain Bird Agri-Products Co.
Raindrip Inc.
Roberts Irrigation Products Inc.
Sullivan Electric & Pump
Southern Pre-Cast
Tsystems International
Vector Flow
Wade Manufacturing
World Wide Water
Yardney Water Management Systems
Senninger Irrigation
Irrigation & Supplies Unlimited
Cidone Industries
Drip-In
Irrigation Association
South Africa Nat'l Comm on Irrig. and Drainage
Florida Irrigation Society
International Water and Irrigation Review

From GrapeGrowr@aol.com Tue Mar 14 08:02:04 1995
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 13:02:04 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com
Subject: Carbon

I followed up on some research out of Arizona 2 years ago using methenol as a
source of carbon, sprayed on the plants in full sun. It was very effective
but was not cost effective. Does anyone out there know if there is a source
of usable carbon that will have as a dramatic of an effect as I had spraying
once a week with methenol?

From MEAD2513@aol.com Tue Mar 14 18:50:07 1995
Date: Tue, 14 Mar 1995 23:50:07 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Drip Irrigation makes mainstream news

I found this article on the news finder service. I believe it was posted on
most major news papers in the U.S. in the business section. It is rather
amateur for most of us, yet I thought it was interesting never the less.

Richard Mead
List owner

FEATURE/An introduction to drip irrigation

FEATURE...

NEW YORK--(BUSINESS WIRE FEATURES)--March 13, 1995--As gardeners continue to
become more and more environment-conscious, it's not surprising to learn
that the latest buzzwords in yard care are "water conservation."
Gardeners everywhere are starting to employ techniques and equipment that
will conserve water, as well as time.

One of the best new methods for maintaining the health and beauty of plants
in the yard, without wasting as precious a resource as water, is drip
irrigation say the experts at DIG Corp., manufacturers of the Drip Watering
Kit and Microsprinkler Kit.

"Essentially, drip irrigation systems use flexible plastic tubing with drip
emitters to dispense water slowly and precisely to a plant's root zone,"
says Joyce Schiffer, president of DIG Corp.

"A drip system can be easily installed in an afternoon and it will not only
deliver plenty of water to trees, plants, shrubs and vegetable gardens, but
homeowners will notice a great reduction in their water bills."
Schiffer explains that water bills will be reduced simply because drip
irrigation requires far less water, as much as 50% less, than a hose or a
sprinkler. Also, because drip systems operate in gallons per hour as
opposed to the gallons per minute used by sprinklers, very little water is
lost to evaporation and run-off, and large areas can be watered more
efficiently from a small water source. Adding a battery-operated timer will
help save additional time and water.

If installing a system sounds like an expensive proposition and a lot of
hard work, think again. Drip irrigation kits, such as DIG's Drip Watering
Kit, can run as low as about $15 at major lawn and garden centers and are
quite consumer-friendly. In fact, with a little pre-planning, a system can
be in place in a few hours.

Having a lush, beautiful landscape doesn't mean you have to have an
outrageous water bill. With some advance consideration and a bit of
creativity, designing a yard with colorful flowers and shrubs can be fun,
cost-effective and water friendly.

To educate homeowners about drip irrigation and how it works, DIG Corp.
offers a free consumer booklet on the subject. Simply send a
self-addressed, stamped No. 10 envelope to: DIG Booklet Offer, 130 Bosstick
Blvd., San Marcos, CA 92069.

0-
Editor's Note: For more information, b/w or color photography or
interview opportunities, call Ian Spelling or Gregory Wind at 212/684-6300.

From MEAD2513@aol.com Wed Mar 15 19:16:15 1995
Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 00:16:15 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: rev

rev trickle-l

From rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov Fri Mar 17 06:13:34 1995
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:13:34 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Introduction from new member

Date: Thu, 16 Mar 1995 22:06:03 -0600 (CST)
From: Armando Tasistro <tasistro@profmexis.dgsca.unam.mx>
To: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Message from Armando Tasistro / Mexico

Thank you for your information. In relation to the 10 questions in your
welcoming email, I am afraid I can only answer one or two. I am an
agronomist (MSc in Weed Management & PhD in Soil Management) working as a
private consultant in Mexico. I am originally from Uruguay, but I have
been living in Mexico for the last 18 years. I work mostly with field
crops (maize, barley, rice, sugarcane) and occasionally with vegetables.
There is growing interest in Mexico in using drip irrigation (surface and
subsurface) in row crops, such as maize and under Conservation Tillage.
In fact, in one center where I work in training, there was a research
project going on last year on N fertilization management with surface
drip irrigation in maize. I am also aware of attempts to use surface drip
for maize production in Costa Rica.
The purpose of my subscription to this network is to keep abreast of new
developments, courses, ideas, and people working actively in this field.
I will appreciate if you could recommend references to learn the basics
on surface and subsurface drip.
Thank you again for your attention,
Armando

From rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov Fri Mar 17 06:15:29 1995
Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:15:29 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Another Introduction from a new member!

Date: Fri, 17 Mar 1995 11:29:19 +0000
From: Mike Schulz <SCHULZM@salty.agvic.gov.au>
To: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Re: Your Welcome to Trickle-L !!

An introduction;

Micheal Schulz
M.S. (Crop & Soils), Michigan State Univ.
Activity Leader
Salt Land Vegetation

Institute of Sustainable Irrigated Agriculture - Tatura (ISIA-Tatura)
Dep't of Agriculture, Energy & Minerals
TATURA, Victoria, Australia

ISIA-Tatura is a campus of ISIA dealing with stone and pome fruits,
tomatoes, crops & forages, salinity monitoring and mitigation and
salt land vegetation.

There are about 120 staff here, another 40 or so 30 km away at ISIA-
Kyabram and a handfull at two other service locations.

Your questions where appropriate;

1) Briefly, what is your affiliation with trickle irrigation?

Drip irrigation is used extensively by the fruit industry to
achieve what is termed Regulated Deficit Irrigation (all above
ground) and by the tomatoe growers (buried). I use it experimentally
in generallly uneconomic applications.

2) What crops or plants do you use drip irrigation on? Atriplex
species

5) Fertigation is a real advantage of drip irrigation. What form of
N, P and K have you been trying and to what success?
None. Different concentrations or volumes of salt are applied.

8) How frequent do you irrigate? At an evaporation deficit of 50 to
80 mm.

9) Do you have rodent damage? NO

Cheers, Schulz

From sjordan@seldon.terminus.com Sat Mar 18 12:22:36 1995
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 10:24:05 "PS
From: sjordan@seldon.terminus.com
Subject: Re: Introduction from new member

A few more questions about drip....

If there is plugging, is there a visual way to determine if the source is root intrusion, scaling, or algae? Is there any other tests? Any other source of information.

We have a field with clogged tape. It would be nice to know where we went wrong.

(note that I have a different internet provider)

From GregBT624@aol.com Sat Mar 18 14:30:28 1995
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 19:30:28 -0500
From: GregBT624@aol.com
Subject: SeekingOrchard Manager Position

I am seeking a position as an orchard manager. I have over 20 years
experience in growing (including designing, installing and maintenance of
several trickle irrigation systems) and marketing of apples, cherries, pears,
plums, peaches, strawberries, brambles and vegetables. Michigan State
University education.

If you know of any leads that I could contact please E-Mail me at
gregbt624@aol.com

Thank You

Greg Tompkins

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sat Mar 18 17:07:28 1995
Date: Sat, 18 Mar 1995 22:07:28 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Plugging inspection problem

S. Jordan wrote:

>A few more questions about drip....

>If there is plugging, is there a visual way to determine if the >source is
root intrusion, scaling, or algae? Is there any other >tests? Any other
source of information.

>We have a field with clogged tape. It would be nice to know >where we went
wrong.

I'd have to know more about your water quality and type of crop you are
growing. Clogging could be any number of things.
Several questions:
1) Do you have an air release valve at the end of the runs and at the
headworks? If not, you could be experiencing emitter ingestion of silts and
other soil particulates.
2) Do you have irrigation water having a pH of 6.5 or higher with moderate to
high carbonate levels?
3) Do you flush the laterals often?
4) Do you irrigate frequently (couple times a day) or couple of times a week?
Other wise, the only visual way to determine what is clogging the emitters is
the ol' dig-em up and inspect method. Can't offer you much with the limited
info given.
Keep us posted as to what the problem is and how you solved it.
Hang in there!

Richard Mead
List owner

From GrapeGrowr@aol.com Sun Mar 19 11:27:18 1995
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 16:27:18 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com
Subject: Re: SeekingOrchard Manager Position

Sorry - I only talk to wolverines

From MEAD2513@aol.com Sun Mar 19 17:27:16 1995
Date: Sun, 19 Mar 1995 22:27:16 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Filtragation........again?

Back on January 14, I had initially brought up the topic of "filtragation".
Briefly, this is a new technology that uses drip irrigation (subsurface) to
dispose of waste water effluent by delivering the water to a plant/soil
system. The plant uses the water and the soil acts as a biological
filter/disposal system. Now that we have more experts on our discussion
lists, I thought it would be interesting to hear from other points of view on
this topic, especially from those working in this area of drip irrigation.
>From what I've read, salinity, leachable nutrients such as nitrate and
biological organisms such as bacteria are not really a problem, YET.....a few
questions concern me with filtragation:

- Is'nt there heavy metal build up in the soil profile?
- What happens to the filtragation system during the winter, low ET days or
during heavy rains?
- Does the pathogen population remain constant or reach a steady state
plateau?
- Would the soil be less efficient a filter if the soil/system were sandier,
or in a more arid (less organic matter) environment?

This looks like a promising use of water recycling and a boom to the drip
industry. Any takers out there for a response??

Anybody out there that is using drip irrigation in a new and interesting way,
please never hesitate to post a comment to the group!

Richard Mead
List owner

From SCHULZM@salty.agvic.gov.au Mon Mar 20 15:17:24 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 15:17:24 +0000
From: Mike Schulz <SCHULZM@salty.agvic.gov.au>
Subject: Salt tolerance

Does anybody out there know of an Internet discussion group dealing
with salt tolerant and halophytic crops or vegetation.

Major Tom

From cburt@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu Mon Mar 20 00:34:02 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 08:34:02 -0800
From: cburt@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu (Charles M. Burt)

>A few more questions about drip....
>
>If there is plugging, is there a visual way to determine if the source is root
>intrusion, scaling, or algae? Is there any other tests? Any other source of
>information.
>
>We have a field with clogged tape. It would be nice to know where we went
>wrong.
>
>(note that I have a different internet provider)

Yes -

1. Calcium carbonate will fizz when you put acid on it.
2. You just have to cut the tape apart with a knife. Cut open the
passageway of the emitters themselves. It will be obvious if there are
roots.
3. The same goes for bacteria and slime - you have to cut apart the
emitters. Roots look very different from bacteria and slime.

Charles Burt
Cal Poly ITRC

From robt@physio.wa.com Mon Mar 20 02:46:14 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 95 10:46:14 PST
From: robt@physio.wa.com (Rob Teeter)
Subject: Organic Certification and SSD?

Hi,
I have been lurking in the shadows for awhile and have
thought about this question but have not seen any info
todate. My question is this.
Can I still be State Certified for Organic Farming if I
am using a subsurface drip irrigation system to deliver
nutrients to my crops?

If this question has already been answered please let
me know where I can retrieve this information. Thanks!

From GrapeGrowr@aol.com Mon Mar 20 11:25:21 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 16:25:21 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Organic Certification and SSD?

Only if you deliver organic nutruients...ie.. liquid chicken or steer manure.

From GCLARK@falcon.age.ksu.edu Mon Mar 20 10:55:45 1995
From: "Gary Clark" <GCLARK@falcon.age.ksu.edu>
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 16:55:45 CST

Reply to organic certification question.

I have often wondered about "organic" certification and drip
irrigation, especially when the water is chemically amended for
bicarbonates (acid) or slimes (using chlorine). The treatment is
similar to practices used for general drinking water supplies, but is
not necessarily looked upon as "organic". Yet without such
practices, many drip systems will fail due to clogging.

Some organic farmers have asked me about injecting organic
nutritional sources of fertilizer from chicken manure or other
organic sources. These can also lead to severe clogging.
Conventional liquid fertilizers may not be "organic" and thus may
lead to loss of certification.

My answers really are not answers, but questions that the organic
certification guidelines need to address if they have not already
done so. If this type of info exists, I would welcome a copy.

Gary A. Clark
Biological and Agricultural Engineering
147 Seaton Hall
Kansas State University
Manhattan, KS 66502
913.532.5580
913.532.5825 (FAX)
gclark@falcon.age.ksu.edu

Date sent: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 12:51:15 -0600
Send reply to: <trickle-l@unl.edu>

Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 17:54:52 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: C.I.T. announcement

New from the Center for Irrigation Technology
>From David F. Zoldoske, Director of C.I.T.

The Center for Irrigation Technology has established an electronic
"Irrigation Information Dissemination System" for use by the irrigation
industry. The system is designed to provide the latest information on
irrigation news and technology. The user is able to read text files and
download complete reports which may include photographs and graphics not
available on-screen.

Members of the irrigation industry who are interested in having their
irrigation related information posted on the IIDS should contact Joe
Oliphant at (209)-278-2066 for specific details. This information can
include technical articles, catalog data, and other information relevant
to the industry. We ask that all information be presented in a
professional format, and that no pricing information be included
(technical information only). Information is currently restricted to a
text only format.

Access to the system is through the Advanced Technology Information Network
(ATI-Net), and instructions for its use are included. The user needs to
log into the ATI-Net and select option "n" Irrigation Information and
Technology. Questions concerning access to ATI-Net should be directed to
Jeff Ennen at (209) 278-4872.

Access Instructions

For national or international access, telnet to:

cati.csufresno.edu or 129.8.100.15

At the login prompt, enter name and password, or if you are a first-time
user, use "public" as login name.
To obtain the information without registering, choose (N) for opening an
account, then choose (a) for Agricultural Information, and (9) from the
menu to obtain information about irrigation.

For local users, a dial-up telephone number is available:
(209) 278-7366 (1200/2400 baud)

enter the code "ATI" at the prompt, and then follow the instructions above.

Please contact ATI-Net office at (209)-278-4872 for more information or
fax them at (209) 278-4849

From MEAD2513@aol.com Mon Mar 20 16:09:35 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 21:09:35 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Re: Salt tolerance

Regarding >Does anybody out there know of an Internet discussion group
dealing with salt tolerant and halophytic crops or vegetation. <

I'll check with some people I know at the U.S. Salinity Laboratory and see if
there is a list from their lab.

R. Mead
List owner

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Mon Mar 20 12:48:44 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Mar 1995 20:48:44 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)
Subject: Re: Filtragation.

At 9:24 PM 3/19/95 -0600, MEAD2513@aol.com wrote:
"filtragation".
> Briefly, this is a new technology that uses drip irrigation (subsurface) to
>dispose of waste water effluent by delivering the water to a plant/soil
>system. The plant uses the water and the soil acts as a biological
>filter/disposal system.
>>From what I've read, salinity, leachable nutrients such as nitrate and
>biological organisms such as bacteria are not really a problem, YET.....a few
>questions concern me with filtragation:
>
>- Is'nt there heavy metal build up in the soil profile?
>- What happens to the filtragation system during the winter, low ET days or
>during heavy rains?
>- Does the pathogen population remain constant or reach a steady state
>plateau?
>- Would the soil be less efficient a filter if the soil/system were sandier,
>or in a more arid (less organic matter) environment?

Long answer coming to a complex set of questions.

Wastewater disposal and wastewater reuse are two different matters and only
sometimes overlap.

Wastewater disposal is the use of the soil permeability to dispose of the
effluent just like a septic tank drain field except the slow release over
many small points allows the use of soils and terrian which is not suitable
for a conventional drainfield. In a typical heavy soil we may use one 1 gph
emitter on 4 sq. ft. of soil operating for as little as 30 minutes in 6 5
minute pulses. Most regulators will not give any credit for
evapotranspiration at all when the required area is calculated, any
consumptive use is just extra margin. In the USA this market is mainly in
the east where they have areas with heavy soils. These projects vary in
size from a single family house at about 350 gpd to commercial developments
of several million gpd.

Heavy metals: Because most of these systems are using sewage from human
sources heavy metals are not a concern. When projects such as dumpsite
leachate disposal or industrial effluent is being used then consulting
engineers are always involved in cleaning up the water before disposal.

Winter, low Et and rain. The rules require that percolation alone can do
the job as long as the water table stays down below the drip line.
According to the jurisdiction this may be a minimum of between 2 to 4 feet.

Pathogen population and bacterail activity in the soil: This is not a
simple matter at all. Soils have differing capacity to absorb bacteria.
Excess overload will often cause sealing and surfacing of the effluent.
This is considered a failure and the health department may even require
abandonment of the property. A foreign company which is active in the U.S.
encourages the use of effluent directly from an anaerobic tank (typical
septic tank) through disk filters and then into the drip system. Several
soils scientists who are expert in this field have advised me that this is
a high risk activity and I always require both anaerobic and aerobic
treatment to bring down the biological oxygen demand (BOD) to less than 20
mg/l. There are other more exotic methods to bring the BOD down to this
level and as long as we are working with one of the top water treatment
consulting engineering companies this is just fine. At this level of BOD <
20 mg./l. and dosing at 1 gph on 4 sq. ft. at the rates established by the
soil scientists according to the percolation rate of the soil a balance
with a secure safety margin will always be achieved.

Sandy or arid soils: I need to ask the expert soil scientists with whom I
consult.

Nitrate leaching can be a serious problem even if all the pathogens are
consumed. Phene and Ruskin have a paper on this topic being presented at
Orlando.

In my opinion there is an immediate need for research in California (and
elsewhere) for the disposal of animal waste effluent by SSD from dairies
and feed lots with optimum statistical management of both the water and the
nitrates. I am anxious to cooperate with anyone able to work in this field
anywhere in the world.

Rodney.

From sals@rain.org Tue Mar 21 03:22:39 1995
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 11:22:39 -0800 (PST)
From: Sal Schettino <sals@rain.org>

My thought on this is that it depends on what you are feeding . If the
nutrients are organic I would think you could be certified. As long as
you our only using organic nutrients make no differents sub or surface. I
would think you have to still use organic nurtrients and may have problems
with roots and alge unless someone knows of a good organic cleaner.I have
to changes driper on surface all the time. they keep getting pluged. I
once had a drip emiter that did not plug so much and wouldn't you know it
Rain bird quit making them. I'm always on the look out for a good emiter .
Keep me posted on how that subsurface is going.

Sal Schettino,Organic Farmer,don't panic eat organic,sals@rain.org
or check out my homepage: http://www.rain.org/~sals/my.html .

From sjordan@seldon.terminus.com Tue Mar 21 06:18:17 1995
From: sjordan@seldon.terminus.com (Steve Jordan)
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 14:18:17 -0800 (PST)

> 1. Calcium carbonate will fizz when you put acid on it.
> 2. You just have to cut the tape apart with a knife. Cut open the
> passageway of the emitters themselves. It will be obvious if there are
> roots.
> 3. The same goes for bacteria and slime - you have to cut apart the
> emitters. Roots look very different from bacteria and slime.
>
> Charles Burt
> Cal Poly ITRC

We will try the visual and vinegar tests. As is obvious, it could be
combination. scaling-> root intrusion. My guess is root intrusion. They
tried to stretch the harvest because of market conditions....

My sources try to tell me that water and acid are the solution to root
intrusion. A well watered root zone will not attract growth. Problem:
what about those crops that need to be "dried" down. I.e. seed crops.

From sjordan@seldon.terminus.com Tue Mar 21 06:25:16 1995
From: sjordan@seldon.terminus.com (Steve Jordan)
Subject: Re: Plugging inspection problem
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 14:25:16 -0800 (PST)

> >We have a field with clogged tape. It would be nice to know >where we went
> wrong.
>

> I'd have to know more about your water quality and type of crop you are
> growing. Clogging could be any number of things.
> Several questions:
> 1) Do you have an air release valve at the end of the runs and at the
> headworks? If not, you could be experiencing emitter ingestion of silts and
> other soil particulates.
Yes.

> 2) Do you have irrigation water having a pH of 6.5 or higher with moderate to
> high carbonate levels?
Yes. Our native water has a pH of 7.4. We did a Langier index and got
values of .6 to .8. We treat with nPhuric to lower pH to get a Langier
index of less than zero. On the other hand, I think the Rynar index is
less conservative and shows no scaling potential.

> 3) Do you flush the laterals often?
We flush at least once a month. We do it for longer than we think we
should. Maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour. We shock treat at the end of the
crop until we get a pH of 3.0 at the end of the tape and let it sit then
flush one more time.

> 4) Do you irrigate frequently (couple times a day) or couple of times a week?
> Other wise, the only visual way to determine what is clogging the emitters is
> the ol' dig-em up and inspect method. Can't offer you much with the limited
> info given.
We irrigate at least weekly rain or shine. (mostly rain recently).
During the "normal" season we irrigate every other day with the lenght
depending on the crop needs.

From MEAD2513@aol.com Tue Mar 21 15:10:52 1995
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 20:10:52 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com

I checked with the staff at the U.S. Salinity Lab in Riverside, California.
They are in the process of moving to a new facility but are thinking of
starting something like we have here (Trickle-L) in all of their three
departments (Soil chemistry, Plant physiology and Soil physics)...all
relating to salt tolerance/soil salinity.
It's going to take time.
R. Mead
List owner

From MEAD2513@aol.com Tue Mar 21 15:42:21 1995
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 20:42:21 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com

Regarding my original question.....> 3) Do you flush the laterals often?<

>We flush at least once a month. We do it for longer than we think we
should. >Maybe 45 minutes to 1 hour. We shock treat at the end of the crop
until we get a >pH of 3.0 at the end of the tape and let it sit thenflush one
more time.

Seems like you should be flushing (the end laterals and submains) weekly, but
only for 5 - 10 minutes. Flushing for 45 minutes monthly seems to be overkill
unless you have a huge field (couple hundred acres??)

> 4) Do you irrigate frequently (couple times a day) or couple of times a
week?
>We irrigate at least weekly rain or shine. (mostly rain >recently). During
the >"normal" season we irrigate every other day with the lenght depending
on the crop >needs.

I would recommend irrigating more frequently, but smaller doses of
water....every day. This is what our lab defines as "High Frequency"
irrigation. Irrigate in 0.1 of an inch or 1 to 2 mm thresholds. What ever is
the most efficient length of run-time for uniformity of your system. I
realize that turning the system on for only 30 or 40 minutes might be too
short (and a big pain) on a large farm, but find a balance between the high
frequency theory and an optimum uniformity run for your system. Ideally, you
need some kind of remote sensing device in your field to trigger irrigations,
but that's another topic.
Another technique we (WMRL-ARS-USDA) have found is that by injecting ~15
p.m.m. P (phosphoric acid) into the system at all times (or as often as
possible) keeps roots from plugging the emitters. Frankly, we do not know if
the pH of the phos-acid or the P actually prevent root intrusion. That's
another study, hopefully soon.

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Tue Mar 21 10:57:56 1995
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 18:57:56 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)
Subject: Bibliography

I am sending you my old bibliography (pre-1992) in three sections - I have
a memory problem doing it in one piece.

Section 1

BIBLIOGRAPHY WASTEWATER OR GRAYWATER AND DRIP IRRIGATION

1/L/1
1105475 0S054-04516
Particle filtration for wastewater irrigation.
Adin, A.; Elimelech, M.
Graduate School of Applied Sci. and Tech., The Hebrew Univ. of
Jerusalem, 91904 Jerusalem, Israel.
Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 1989. 115 (3): 474-487
(17 ref.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0S (Soils and Fertilizers)
Conventional water filtration methods cannot be generalized for use in
direct wastewater filtration for drip irrigation systems. Alternative
methods have been investigated for use on effluents from an oxidation
ponds-reservoir system and from an activated sludge plant. The purpose of
the study was to evaluate and compare the particle filtrability in both
granular beds and filter screens. The granular beds were found to remove
particles larger than 10 mum with an efficiency of 40 to 85% but not
smaller particles (1-2 mum in size). The removal ratio for all particles
increased with grain size and with bed depth, and decreased with
filtration velocity, affecting the lower particle size range more. Filter
screens clogged very rapidly even though they removed only about 1-2% of
the total suspended solids.

Descriptors: irrigation systems; trickle irrigation; waste water;
filtration; irrigation water
Decimal Codes: 0S267; 0S962
Section Heading Codes: 0S26700096; 7S0408
Section Headings: 2 FERTILIZERS. SOIL AND CROP MANAGEMENT - 267
IRRIGATION (SC=0S267000); IRRIGATION - IRRIGATION WATER (SC=7S0408)

1/L/2
1105474 0S054-04703
Effect of dikes and sulfuric acid on cotton under effluent irrigation.
Oron, G.; DeMalach, Y.
Ben-Gurion Univ. of the Negev, Jacob Blaustein Inst. for Desert Res.,
Sede Boqer Campus 84993, Israel.
Journal of Irrigation and Drainage Engineering 1989. 115 (3): 463-473
(12 ref.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0S (Soils and Fertilizers)
Alkaline loess soils in arid zones in southern Israel are being
irrigated with treated domestic wastewater (sewerage). The aim of the
research described in this paper was to improve the use of such effluent.
The soils are characterized by the relatively large losses of water due to
runoff. A series of field experiments have been carried out aimed at the
possibility of decreasing runoff and soil erosion, of improving water
intake rate, and of obtaining economic cotton yields. Various combinations
of dyke construction between cotton rows and sulfuric acid application
rates were examined. Under sprinkler and trickle irrigation systems, the
acid treatment was found to improve water intake and cotton yield more
significantly than that of the dykes.
Descriptors: cotton; waste water; sulfuric acid; alkaline soils; israel;
irrigation water; amendments; dykes; hydraulic engineering; irrigation
Decimal Codes: 0S35; 0S267; 0S222; 0S962; 0S260; 0S141; (5)
Geographic Names: Israel
Section Heading Codes: 0S35000026; 7S0628; 0Q15101080
Section Headings: 3 FIELD CROPS. PLANTATION CROPS (= AGRICULTURAL CROPS
1973-1982) - 35 FIBRE PLANTS (= FIBRE CROPS 19 (SC=0S350000);
IRRIGATION OF CROP PLANTS - FIBRE CROPS (SC=7S0628); FIBRE PLANTS -
COTTON- AGRONOMY (SC=0Q15101)

1/L/3
1061526 7L004-03248; 1C053-00166
Management of sugarcane mill wastewater in Hawaii.
Chang, L. J.; Yang, P. Y.; Whalen, S. A.
Department of Agricultural Engineering, University of Hawaii at Manoa,
Honolulu, HI 96822, USA.
Water Science and Technology 1990. 22 (9): 131-140 (27 ref.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 7L (International Biodeterioration); 1C (Sugar Industry
Abstracts)
The current cane sugar factory waste water management system in Hawaii
was surveyed at Oahu Sugar Co. on the island of Oahu. Problems generated
from the improper waste water management, such as odour nuisance, field
silting, crop reduction and large land requirement, motivated a new
management system for the Hawaiian sugar industry. Based on the results of
preliminary lab. treatment on sugarcane waste water, and the cost analysis
for different alternatives, an appropriate waste water management system
for the Hawaiian sugar industry is recommended. This system incorporates
sedimentation, anaerobic pretreatment (UASB), and aerobic polishing (EAFB)
for anaerobically treated effluent. It efficiently removes more than or
equal to99% of the organics and solids in waste water within 2 d of the
hydraulic retention time provided. Therefore, the problems generated from
the present treatment facility can be eliminated by implementing the
proposed management system. More importantly, reuse of the properly
treated wastewater for drip irrigation and cane washing will provide extra
profit for the Hawaiian sugar industry. This paper was presented at an
IAWPRC symposium held in Istanbul, Turkey, 25-27 Sep. 1989.

Descriptors: conferences; waste management problems in agro-industries;
sugar factory waste; waste water treatment; hawaii; usa; cane sugar
Geographic Names: USA; Hawaii
Section Heading Codes: 7L7105; 1C581020
Section Headings: SPECIFIC INDUSTRIES - SUGAR INDUSTRY (SC=7L7105);
ENVIRONMENTAL ISSUES - WATER AND LIQUID EFFLUENTS (SC=1C581000)

1/L/4
0987355 0C060-05648; 0S053-13845; 7S017-00270
Effects of soil heating on 'Navelina' orange.
Citriculture. Sixth international citrus congress, Middle-East, Tel
Aviv, Israel, 6-11 March 1988. Volume 2.
Cutore, L.; Licata, R.; Parrini, F.; Sardo, V.
Istituto di Idraulica Agraria, Universita di Catania, Catania, Italy.
Rehovot, Israel; Balaban Publishers
1988. 723-729 (13 ref.)
Language: English
ISBN: 3-8236-1136-4
Document Type: UP (Unnumbered Part)
Subfile: 0C (Horticultural Abstracts); 0S (Soils and Fertilizers); 7S
(Irrigation and Drainage Abstracts)
The problem of wastewater disposal in thermoelectric plants prompted
research designed to ascertain the effects of soil heating in a Navelina
orchard. Soil was heated by circulating the water at 23-29degC and/or by
surface drip irrigation with water at the same temperature. Three levels
of heating were compared in 6 plots. The same amount of water was given to
all trees, determined by means of class A evaporation pan. The main
physiological parameters investigated were: differences in temperature
between canopy and atmosphere (DELTAT), rate of fruit weight increase, and
time of fruit ripening. The DELTAT values indicated a water stress in
heated trees. However, fruits of trees irrigated with cold water showed
the least increase and the smallest final fruit size. The earliest
ripening, determined by the sugar:acid ratio, was found in the heated
plots.

Descriptors: waste water; water stress; conferences; citriculture; oranges
; soil heating; responses; irrigation; water; temperature; sources;
fruits; size; ripening; industrial wastes; utilization; irrigation
water; italy;
Decimal Codes: 0S43; 0S23; 0S267; (4)
Geographic Names: Italy
Section Heading Codes: 0C715413; 0S43000026; 7S0638 ; 7S0408
Section Headings: SUBTROPICAL FRUIT AND PLANTATION CROPS - CITRUS -
SOILS AND NUTRITION (SC=0C715); 4 FRUITS (SC=0S400000); IRRIGATION
OF CROP PLANTS - FRUIT CROPS (SC=7S0638) ; IRRIGATION - IRRIGATION
WATER (SC=7S0408)

1/L/5
0977121 0S053-07831; 8A015-04531
Plugging evaluation in reuse of primary wastewater effluent for drip
irrigation.
Proceedings 4th International Micro-Irrigation Congress.
Chandrakanth, M. S.; Lau, L. S.; Wu, I. P.
Dep. Agric. Engineering, Univ. Hawaii at Manoa, Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
Albury-Wodonga, Australia
1988. 10A/2 (5 ref., 4 fig.)
Language: English
Document Type: UP (Unnumbered Part)
Subfile: 0S (Soils and Fertilizers); 8A (Agricultural Engineering Abs.)
In drip irrigation, the clogging of emitters is increased when
wastewater effluent is used, resulting in reduced water application and
distribution uniformity. Field and laboratory studies have been carried
out to extend existing technology to alleviate the problem, based on
optimising emitter size and filter screen mesh. Details are given of the
performance of different emitter sizes and screens tested over 4 and 8
week periods. The study has shown that wastewater effluent can be used
with an optimised system that reduces emitter clogging to less than 25%.
Details of the arrangements are given.
Descriptors: irrigation systems; trickle irrigation; waste water; emitters
; blockage; wastes; equipment; conferences; international
micro-irrigation congress; irrigation; filters
Decimal Codes: 0S267; 0S962; 0S12
Geographic Names: USA; Hawaii
Section Heading Codes: 0S26700096; 7S0408; 8A18
Section Headings: 2 FERTILIZERS. SOIL AND CROP MANAGEMENT - 267
IRRIGATION (SC=0S267000); IRRIGATION - IRRIGATION WATER (SC=7S0408);
LAND IMPROVEMENT - IRRIGATION (SC=8A18)

1/L/6
0862436 0C059-07342; 0Q042-08890; 0S052-14505; 7S015-02485
Yield and plant nutrient content of vegetables trickle-irrigated with
municipal wastewater.
Neilsen, G. H.; Stevenson, D. S.; Fitzpatrick, J. J.; Brownlee, C.
H.
Agriculture Canada Research Station, Summerland, BC V0H 1Z0, Canada.
HortScience 1989. 24 (2): 249-252 (19 ref.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0C (Horticultural Abstracts); 0Q (Field Crop Abstracts); 0S
(Soils and Fertilizers); 7S (Irrigation and Drainage Abstracts)
Tomatoes, capsicums, onions, cucumbers, bush beans (Phaseolus vulgaris)
and melons were grown from 1983 to 1986 with trickle irrigation using
either well water or secondary effluent. Yields with effluent irrigation
were greater than or similar to yields obtained with well water. Effluent
irrigation resulted in decreased Zn, increased P, and variable results for
other nutrients in plant tissues. After 4 years of effluent irrigation,
the exchangeable Na content of the 0.0 to 0.3-soil depth increased, but
soil chemical changes were of little practical significance. No major
limitations were found for the production of high yields of vegetables
irrigated with municipal wastewater on the loamy sand soil at the
experimental site after 4 years.

Descriptors: tomatoes; irrigation; water; sources; capsicum; onions;
cucumbers; phaseolus vulgaris; melons; vegetables; zinc; metabolism;
phosphorus; waste water; plant composition; nutrients; canada; british
columbia; irrigation water;
Decimal Codes: 0S5; 0S33; 0S267; 0S227; 0S81; (7)
Geographic Names: Canada; British Columbia
Section Heading Codes: 0C400360; 0Q05701080; 0S50000026; 7S0640 ;
0S330200; 7S0624
Section Headings: VEGETABLES, TEMPERATE, TROPICAL AND GREENHOUSE -
GENERAL (SC=0C400); LEGUMES - PHASEOLUS VULGARIS- AGRONOMY
(SC=0Q05701); 5 VEGETABLES. CULINARY HERBS. SPICE PLANTS. ORNAMENTAL
PLANTS (= HORTICULTURAL CROPS 1973-1982) (SC=0S500000); IRRIGATION OF
CROP PLANTS - VEGETABLE CROPS (PEAS AND BEANS ARE TREATED UNDER
LEGUMES) (SC=7S0640) ; 3 FIELD CROPS. PLANTATION CROPS (= AGRICULTURAL
CROPS 1973-1982) - 33 LEGUMES (SC=0S330000); IRRIGATION OF CROP PLANTS
- LEGUMES (SC=7S0624)

1/L/7
0830943 8A014-01603; 7S017-00103
Irrigation experiments with partially treated wastewater. Part II.
Prove d'irrigazione con acque reflue parzialmente trattate. Secondo
contributo.
Barbagallo, S.; Biondi, M.; Destri Nicosia, O. li
Istituto di Idraulica Agraria, Univ. Catania, Catania, Italy.
Rivista di Ingegneria Agraria 1988. 19 (4): 214-223 (17 ref.)
Language: Italian Summary Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 8A (Agricultural Engineering Abs.); 7S (Irrigation and
Drainage Abstracts)
Irrigation trials were conducted in an experimental plant using a number
of emitters suitable for municipal waste water use. Irrigation plant
operation as regards water quality was not difficult. Bacteriological
studies of fruit from the vineyards and olive and pistachio groves
concerned confirmed that application of waste water by drip irrigation
after simple primary treatment was possible without risk to consumers.

Descriptors: irrigation; trickle irrigation; vineyards; waste water;
olives; pistachios; irrigation water; grapes; irrigation systems
Section Heading Codes: 8A18; 7S0408
Section Headings: LAND IMPROVEMENT - IRRIGATION (SC=8A18); IRRIGATION -
IRRIGATION WATER (SC=7S0408)

1/L/8
0740554 0S051-09276; 7S014-01288; 6T006-00418; 6P005-02567
Reuse of domestic wastewater for irrigation in arid zones: a case study.
Oron, G.; DeMalach, J.
Inst. Desert Res., Ben-Gurion Univ., Kiryat Sde-Boker 84993, Israel.
Water Resources Bulletin 1987. 23 (5): 777-783 (23 ref., 2 fig., 9
tab.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0S (Soils and Fertilizers); 7S (Irrigation and Drainage
Abstracts); 6T (Wheat, Barley and Triticale Ab); 6P (Maize Abstracts
1985+)
The domestic sewage of the arid region city of Beer-Sheva, Israel, is
treated in a series of facultative ponds. The treated effluent is applied
via sprinkler and trickle irrigation systems. The main crops irrigated are
cotton, wheat, alfalfa, and maize. Total cotton yield is over 5500 kg/ha,
and wheat grain yield is over 7500 kg/ha. The amount of effluent applied
is about 6500 m3/ha for cotton (including preplant irrigation), and the
wheat receives about 4500 m3/ha via irrigation and an additional 2000
m3/ha from precipitation. Due to the nutrient content in the effluent, the
above yields are obtained without any additional fertilization.
Descriptors: irrigation water; sewage effluent; sprinkler irrigation;
israel; trickle irrigation; irrigation systems; triticum; irrigation
Decimal Codes: 0S267; (5)
Geographic Names: Israel
Section Heading Codes: 0S26700031; 7S0408; 6T053010; 6P293010
Section Headings: 2 FERTILIZERS. SOIL AND CROP MANAGEMENT - 267
IRRIGATION (SC=0S267000); IRRIGATION - IRRIGATION WATER (SC=7S0408);
WHEAT (SC=6T05); MAIZE (SC=6P29)

1/L/9
0661578 0S051-01082; 7R013-00255; 7S014-00128
Response of cotton to treated domestic wastewater applied through
trickle irrigation.
Oron, G.; Malach, Y. de
Ben-Gurion Univ. Negev, Inst. Desert Res., Kiryat Sde-Boker, 84990,
Israel.
Irrigation Science 1987. 8 (4): 291-300 (22 ref., 4 fig., 8 tab.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0S (Soils and Fertilizers); 7R (Cotton and Tropical Fibres
Abs.); 7S (Irrigation and Drainage Abstracts)
Experiments were conducted under arid climate conditions to examine
cotton response to treated domestic wastewater applied at different
frequencies and emitter spacings by trickle irrigation. Row spacing was
either conventional, i.e. single rows apart, or in twin rows, 0.96 m and
1.92 m apart (a twin row consists of a pair 0.35 m apart). Some treatments
received the commercial rates of effluent application (around 5,500 m3/ha)
and others a reduced amount, 80% of the commercial rate. Maximum yield
(over 7,000 kg/ha) was obtained under twin row planting, irrigated twice a
week with a commercial amount of effluent. A yield of 6,040 kg/ha was
obtained under twin row planting irrigated one a week or each day. Under
conventional row and emitter spacing, irrigated twice a week, the yield
was 6,016 kg/ha.

Descriptors: cotton; waste waters; trickle irrigation; israel; irrigation
water; irrigation systems; irrigation; systems; water; sources
Decimal Codes: 0S351; 0S267.8; 0S267.5; (569.4); 0S35; 0S26
Geographic Names: Israel
Section Heading Codes: 0S35100026; 7S0628; 7R0246 ; 7S0408
Section Headings: 3 FIELD CROPS. PLANTATION CROPS (= AGRICULTURAL CROPS
1973-1982) - 35 FIBRE PLANTS (= FIBRE CROPS 19 (SC=0S350000);
IRRIGATION OF CROP PLANTS - FIBRE CROPS (SC=7S0628); GOSSYPIUM SPP. -
COTTON- SOILS, NUTRITION AND MANAGEMENT (SC=7R0232) ; IRRIGATION -
IRRIGATION WATER (SC=7S0408)

1/L/10
0593232 0S050-07119; 0Q040-05483; 6T004-04048
Trickle irrigation of wheat applying renovated wastewater.
Oron, G.; DeMalach, J.; Bearman, J. E.
Ben-Gurion Univ. of Negev, Jacob Blaustein Inst. for Desert Res., Kiryat
Sde Boker, 84990, Israel.
Water Resources Bulletin 1986. 22 (3): 439-446 (16 ref., 5 fig., 7 tab.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0S (Soils and Fertilizers); 0Q (Field Crop Abstracts); 6T
(Wheat, Barley and Triticale Ab)
A preliminary field experiment was conducted near Beer Sheva, Israel
with trickle irrigation of winter wheat under arid conditions using
treated waste water. Mean total amount of effluent applied was about 5700
m3/ha. In one of the experimental treatments, which was irrigated once a
week, a grain yield of over 10 t/ha was obtained, whereas in the other
treatments with application daily or every 25-30 days the yields were
about 8.5 t/ha which are above the mean yield obtained under sprinkler
irrigation. Yields were increased by extending the irrigation period from
21 April to 5 May.
Descriptors: wheat; trickle irrigation; waste waters; israel; irrigation
methods; irrigation water; irrigation; waste water; triticum
Decimal Codes: 0S311; 0S267.5; 0S267.8; (569.4); 0S31; 0S26
Geographic Names: Israel
Section Heading Codes: 0S31100026; 0Q00101080; 6T053010
Section Headings: 3 FIELD CROPS. PLANTATION CROPS (= AGRICULTURAL CROPS
1973-1982) - 31 CEREALS- 311 WHEAT (SC=0S311000); CEREALS - WHEAT-
AGRONOMY : IRRIGATION (SC=0Q00101080/); WHEAT (SC=6T05)

1/L/11
0477741 0C056-06684; 8A011-03131; 0S049-10821; 7S012-01822
A trickle irrigation system for recycling residential wastewater on
fruit trees.
Gamble, J.
Great Lakes Irrigation, Ltd., Hart, MI 49420, USA.
HortScience 1986. 21 (1): 28-32 (16 ref., 6 fig.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0C (Horticultural Abstracts); 8A (Agricultural Engineering
Abs.); 0S (Soils and Fertilizers); 7S (Irrigation and Drainage
Abstracts)
The system is described and illustrated diagrammatically. The different
stages in treating wastewater before it is discharged for irrigation are
outlined. Although the construction cost of this system was slightly
higher than that for conventional systems, the advantages were odour-free
operation and lower operating costs.

Descriptors: conferences; wastewater utilization in horticulture;
temperate fruits; irrigation; water; sources; systems; equipment;
sewage effluent; utilization; waste waters; treatment; fruit trees;
irrigation water; waste water; wastes
Decimal Codes: 0S4; 0S267.8; 0S267.5; 0S40; 0S26
Geographic Names: USA; Michigan
Section Heading Codes: 0C205360; 8A18; 0S40000026; 7S0408; 0S267800; 7S0638
Section Headings: TEMPERATE TREE FRUITS AND NUTS - GENERAL - MANAGEMENT
(SC=0C205); LAND IMPROVEMENT - IRRIGATION (SC=8A18); 4 FRUITS
(SC=0S400000); IRRIGATION - IRRIGATION WATER (SC=7S0408) ; 2
FERTILIZERS. SOIL AND CROP MANAGEMENT - 267 IRRIGATION (SC=0S267000);
IRRIGATION OF CROP PLANTS - FRUIT CROPS (SC=7S0638)
1/L/12
0451932 8A011-02491; 7D007-01815
Aerobic treatment.
Agricultural Waste Manual, New Zealand Agricultural Engineering
Institute.
Vanderholm, D. H.; Warburton, D. J.
Univ. of Illinois, Urbana, IL, USA.
Canterbury, New Zealand; Lincoln College
1985. 6-1-6-18 (8 ref., 10 fig., 3 tab.)
Language: English
Document Type: UP (Unnumbered Part)
Subfile: 8A (Agricultural Engineering Abs.); 7D (Pig News and
Information)
The principles of aerobic treatment of animal wastes are explained and
examples of natural and mechanical aeration systems are presented. The
planning and design of a naturally aerobic lagoon is discussed with an
example of a calculation for determination of size. Film reactors include
trickle filters and rotating biological contactors, where the
microorganisms grow on fixed media (stone, plastic) and are provided with
wastewater and air to maintain aerobic conditions; floc reactors maintain
the biological mass in suspension providing continuous contact between
microorganisms and the waste water. Composting of animal wastes is another
process using aerobic microorganisms and adapts readily to poultry manure.

Descriptors: books; agricultural wastes; new zealand; aerobic treatment;
animal wastes; aeration; equipment; lagoons; ditches; poultry manure;
composting; manures; slurries
Section Heading Codes: 8A56; 7D1400 ; 8A09
Section Headings: FARM BUILDINGS AND EQUIPMENT - CLEANING AND WASTE
DISPOSAL (SC=8A56); ENVIRONMENT (SC=7D1400) ; GENERAL - ENERGY
(SC=8A09)

1/L/13
0302394 0Q038-02539; 7R010-00468; 0S048-06473; 7S011-00770
Yield of single versus twin-row trickle irrigated cotton.
Oron, G.
Inst. for Desert Res., Ben Gurion Univ., Kiryat Sde-Boker 84990, Israel.
Agricultural Water Management 1984. 9 (3): 237-244 (13 ref.)
Language: English
Document Type: NP (Numbered Part)
Subfile: 0Q (Field Crop Abstracts); 7R (Cotton and Tropical Fibres
Abs.); 0S (Soils and Fertilizers); 7S (Irrigation and Drainage
Abstracts)
The irrigation efficiency of cotton was increased by planting in twin
rows with one solid trickling lateral installed within each twin. 6.05
t/ha was obtained by this method compared with 5.33 t under single row
conventional sowing with 1 trickling lateral installed each 2nd row. The
amount of effluent applied in both cases was approx. 5000 m3/ha. The
improved yield was a composite result of a restricted root zone, increased
reproductive growth and proper irrigation management. The method of
growing cotton in twin rows is especially applicable to arid zones and may
maximize the use of marginal water such as treated wastewater and saline
water. Descriptors: cotton; spacing; paired rows; irrigation; trickle
irrigation;
seeds; sowing; responses; systems; irrigation methods; irrigation
scheduling; crop management
Decimal Codes: 0S351; 0S267.5; 0S35; 0S26
Geographic Names: Israel
Section Heading Codes: 0Q15101080; 7R0228; 0S35100026; 7S0628
Section Headings: FIBRE PLANTS - COTTON- AGRONOMY (SC=0Q15101);
GOSSYPIUM SPP. - COTTON- SEED TREATMENT, PROPAGATION AND PLANTING
(SC=7R0223); 3 FIELD CROPS. PLANTATION CROPS (= AGRICULTURAL CROPS
1973-1982) - 35 FIBRE PLANTS (= FIBRE CROPS 19 (SC=0S350000);
IRRIGATION OF CROP PLANTS - FIBRE CROPS (SC=7S0628)

1/S/1
1105475 0S054-04516
Particle filtration for wastewater irrigation.
1/S/2
1105474 0S054-04703
Effect of dikes and sulfuric acid on cotton under effluent irrigation.
1/S/3
1061526 7L004-03248; 1C053-00166
Management of sugarcane mill wastewater in Hawaii.
1/S/4
0987355 0C060-05648; 0S053-13845; 7S017-00270
Effects of soil heating on 'Navelina' orange.
Citriculture. Sixth international citrus congress, Middle-East, Tel
Aviv, Israel, 6-11 March 1988. Volume 2.
1/S/5
0977121 0S053-07831; 8A015-04531
Plugging evaluation in reuse of primary wastewater effluent for drip
irrigation.
Proceedings 4th International Micro-Irrigation Congress.
1/S/6
0862436 0C059-07342; 0Q042-08890; 0S052-14505; 7S015-02485
Yield and plant nutrient content of vegetables trickle-irrigated with
municipal wastewater.
1/S/7
0830943 8A014-01603; 7S017-00103
Irrigation experiments with partially treated wastewater. Part II.
Prove d'irrigazione con acque reflue parzialmente trattate. Secondo
contributo.
1/S/8
0740554 0S051-09276; 7S014-01288; 6T006-00418; 6P005-02567
Reuse of domestic wastewater for irrigation in arid zones: a case study.
1/S/9
0661578 0S051-01082; 7R013-00255; 7S014-00128
Response of cotton to treated domestic wastewater applied through
trickle irrigation.
1/S/10
0593232 0S050-07119; 0Q040-05483; 6T004-04048
Trickle irrigation of wheat applying renovated wastewater.
1/S/11
0477741 0C056-06684; 8A011-03131; 0S049-10821; 7S012-01822
A trickle irrigation system for recycling residential wastewater on
fruit trees.
1/S/12
0451932 8A011-02491; 7D007-01815
Aerobic treatment.
Agricultural Waste Manual, New Zealand Agricultural Engineering
Institute.
1/S/13

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Tue Mar 21 11:24:51 1995
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 19:24:51 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

> Calcium carbonate will fizz when you put acid on it.

In my experience one does not get calcium build up with SSD because it does
not dry out. The dripperline I have dug up is as shiny as it went in with
no white discoloration. Would other people please comment on this unproven
observation?

>My sources try to tell me that water and acid are the solution to root
>intrusion. A well watered root zone will not attract growth. Problem:
>what about those crops that need to be "dried" down. I.e. seed crops.

During 1995 we plan to introduce a tape with ROOTGUARD

Rodney

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Tue Mar 21 11:25:01 1995
Date: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 19:25:01 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

It is too laborious to get a 182 K file through my communications package
(Eudora) - so I will mail a diskette for you to selectively add to your
bibliography which will be in the WWW for everyone else.

From stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de Wed Mar 22 09:56:51 1995
From: stein@wiz.uni-kassel.de (Thomas Stein)
Subject: WWW Info.on 5th Micoirrigation Cong.
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 08:56:51 +0100 (MEZ)

Announcement:
-------------

For those of you who having access to the World Wide Web (WWW)
I would like to announce the following information pages about
the *Fifth International Microirrigation Congress * which will
be held on April 2-6, 1995, Orlando, Florida.

These pages containing the latest information regarding the
Microirrigation congress are elaborated in conjunction with the
organizing committee of the congress, the Water Management
Research Laboratory, Fresno, CA and myself running the WWW
Virtual Library IRRIGATION.

You may access the information through the WWW Virtual Library
IRRIGATION with the following URL

http://fserv.wiz.uni-kassel.de/kww/projekte/irrig/irrig_i.html

To get to the congress information pages containing information
and links to other servers

choose:
choose:
- Irrigation NEWS, Congresses, Conferences ...

>From there you may access locally stored information or you may
look further accessing information pages located at the Water
Management Research Laboratory, Fresno, CA.

Regards,

Thomas Stein

From GCLARK@falcon.age.ksu.edu Wed Mar 22 01:49:33 1995
From: "Gary Clark" <GCLARK@falcon.age.ksu.edu>
Date: Wed, 22 Mar 1995 07:49:33 CST

Date sent: Tue, 21 Mar 1995 16:17:08 -0600
Send reply to: <trickle-l@unl.edu>
From: sjordan@seldon.terminus.com (Steve Jordan)
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>

> 1. Calcium carbonate will fizz when you put acid on it.
> 2. You just have to cut the tape apart with a knife. Cut open the
> passageway of the emitters themselves. It will be obvious if there are
> roots.
> 3. The same goes for bacteria and slime - you have to cut apart the
> emitters. Roots look very different from bacteria and slime.
>
> Charles Burt
> Cal Poly ITRC
>
>We will try the visual and vinegar tests. As is obvious, it could be
>combination. scaling-> root intrusion. My guess is root intrusion.
>They tried to stretch the harvest because of market conditions....
>
>My sources try to tell me that water and acid are the solution to
>root
>intrusion. A well watered root zone will not attract growth.
>Problem:
>what about those crops that need to be "dried" down. I.e. seed
>crops.

Root intrusion:

Tough situation at times:

Make certain that your drip laterals are well drained and that
residual fertilizers are flushed from the system. Not a complete
guarantee, but it helps. Some products exist that use Treflan as an
inhibitor to root intrusion.

Gary Clark
BAE Dept. - Kansas State Univ.

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Thu Mar 23 07:35:53 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Microirrigation Congress Post Tour A
Date: 23 Mar 95 13:35:53 CST

Fifth International Microirrigation Congress
April 2-6, 1995 Orlando Florida

POST Tour A, Wednesday, April 5, 1:00 - 5:30 pm
Cost, $28.50
Preregistration required.
Water Conserv II and the Orlando Airport are two stops
on this tour.

INTERVIEW WITH LARRY PARSONS, UNIVERSITY OF FLORIDA
CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM:::: LARRY, WHAT IS WATER CONSERVE II AND
WHAT MAKES IT UNIQUE??

Larry Parsons:::: Water Conserv II is the largest
reclaimed water agricultural irrigation project of its
type in the world. It presently delivers about 27
million gallons of reclaimed water per day (mgd) to
over 3000 ha of citrus, other crops, and/or rapid
infiltration basins (RIBs). Conserv II was the first
project in Florida to be permitted to irrigate crops
for human consumption with reclaimed water. The water
is highly treated and chlorinated. While it is not
potable water, it does meet drinking water standards
for several compounds including nitrate, sulfate, Cl,
Na, Se, Ag, and Zn. People taking the tour will see
the Distribution Center, RIBs, citrus research plots,
and a modern computerized irrigation control system.
Good citrus tree growth with 2540 mm of reclaimed water
(beyond normal rainfall) can be seen. Even in a state
with more than 1200 mm of rainfall, over 300 reclaimed
water projects have been set up. Conserv II
illustrates well the usefulness of reclaimed water.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: I ALSO UNDERSTAND WE WILL VISIT THE
ORLANDO AIRPORT. LARRY, HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO
MICROIRRIGATION??

Larry Parsons:::: The Orlando airport makes extensive
use of microirrigation to irrigate landscape plants and
large planters. This is a good example ot a large
scale microirrigation project that irrigates plants in
the multilevel parking structure and throughout the
large airport complex.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: THANKS, LARRY, THIS SHOULD PROVE TO BE
AN INTERESTING TOUR.

**

Freddie Lamm *
Research Agricultural Engineer *** o
Email:flamm@oznet.ksu.edu It's all downhill from here.

------ THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ, THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ. ------

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Thu Mar 23 07:35:27 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Microirrigation Congress Post Tour B
Date: 23 Mar 95 13:35:27 CST

Fifth International Microirrigation Congress
April 2-6, 1995, Orlando, Florida

POST Tour B, Wednesday, April 5, 1:00 - 6:00 pm
Cost, $28.50
Preregistration required.
Senninger Irrigation and Apopka Tree Nursery are two
stops on this tour.

INTERVIEW WITH ADAM SKOLNIK, SENNINGER IRRIGATION INC.
CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM:::: WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS DOES SENNINGER
IRRIGATION PRODUCE?

Adam Skolnik::::: Senninger Irrigation, Inc. has for
over 30 years engaged in the manufacturing of quality
irrigation equipment for the agricultural and
industrial markets. The equipment is made up primarily
of engineering grade thermoplastics and stainless steel
components. The impact sprinklers range from 1/2" to 1
1/4" (1 gpm to 120 gpm) in single and double nozzle
configurations. They are used worldwide in various
types of systems and crops. The preset pressure
regulators are available from 6 to 60 psi in flow
ranges from 1/10 to 32 gpm. They are utilized in drip
or micro type systems they are also known as the
industry standard for center pivot type systems that
are designed and produced for maximum efficiency.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES WILL WE SEE
AT SENNINGER IRRIGATION?

Adam Skolnik:::: The factory tour will consist of
Product Design which utilizes CAD, Injection Molding,
Assembly and Research & Development Testing.

FREDDIE LAMM::::: THANK'S FOR THE INFORMATION. I LOOK
FORWARD TO VISITING YOUR FACILITIES.

INTERVIEW WITH MR. PAT DEHLINGER, APOPKA FOREST NURSERY,
CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM::::: PAT, WHAT TYPES OF TREES DOES APOPKA
FOREST NURSERY PRODUCE AND FOR WHAT MARKET???

Pat Dehlinger::::: We are primarily growing oaks, elms,
maples, hollies, and some ligustrums on drip irrigation
for the central Florida market.

FREDDIE LAMM::::::: PAT, WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES CAN
WE EXPECT TO SEE AT APOPKA FOREST NURSERY??

Pat Dehlinger:::::: All of our containerized trees are grown on
spaghetti tubing with Robert spot spitters. They are low volume. We
also have them on cycles during the day. We have them 4 times a day
this time of year. We had Dr. (Richard) Beeson, (University of
Florida) come in and help us out, and it's working pretty good.

FREDDIE LAMM::::: ANY OTHER INNOVATIVE IDEAS THAT YOU
ARE TRYING??

Pat Dehlinger:::: We are doing some other experiments
with with copper-coated pots and accelerator
containers. This gives better rooting and increased
growth, which conserves water.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: THANKS, PAT.

**

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Thu Mar 23 07:36:19 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Microirrigation Congress Post Tour 3
Date: 23 Mar 95 13:36:19 CST

Fifth International Microirrigation Congress
Tour C, Thursday, April 6, 7:30 am - 6:30 pm
Lunch provided
Cost, $28.50
Preregistration required.
Tours of agricultural enterprises, Agricultural
Products Inc. and Maxijet Inc.

INTERVIEW WITH MR. DAVE CRUM, CARGILL GROVES & LAND
MANAGEMENT CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM:::: DAVE, WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS DOES
CARGILL GROVES & LAND MANAGEMENT PRODUCE?

Dave Crum:::: Round oranges (Hamlin, Valencia),
Blueberries, Alfalfa Hay, Bahia Sod, Panzola Hay, Bahia
Hay

FREDDIE LAMM:::: DAVE, WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES WILL WE
SEE AT CARGILL GROVES AND LAND MANAGEMENT?

Dave Crum:::: Phosphate mining, Valencia harvesting,
Blueberry harvesting, Alfalfa baling

FREDDIE LAMM:::: DAVE, GIVE US A FEW COMMENTS ON YOUR
COMPANY'S INVOLVEMENT IN PHOSPHATE MINING. HOW LONG
HAVE YOU BEEN DOING IT? HOW EXTENSIVE IS IT? ETC.

Dave Crum:::: Cargill has been mining phosphate in
Florida for 8-10 years.

INTERVIEW WITH MR. STEVE FRADIN, LIPMAN & LIPMAN,
CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM:::: STEVE, WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS DOES
LIPMAN & LIPMAN PRODUCE?

Steve Fradin:::: Tomatoes, pepper, cucumbers, squash,
watermelon, and cantaloupes. Citrus on our farm
operations.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: STEVE, WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES WILL
WE SEE AT LIPMAN AND LIPMAN?

Steve Fradin::::: Normal daily activities, possibly
pruning and tying, irrigation.

(We will also show) how we determine an irrigation is
necessary.

INTERVIEW WITH MR. MARVIN BROWN, FAVORITE FARMS,
CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM:::: MARVIN, WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS DOES
FAVORITE FARMS PRODUCE?

Marvin Brown::::: Strawberries

FREDDIE LAMM:::: MARVIN, WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES WILL
WE SEE AT FAVORITE FARMS?

Marvin Brown::::: Planting, harvesting, weeding and
shipping. Strawberries planted on raised beds with
black plastic mulch.

INTERVIEW WITH MR. U. K. CUSTRED, FARMLAND HYDRO, L.P.,
CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM:::: WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS DOES FARMLAND
HYDRO PRODUCE?

U.K. Custred:::: Farmland Hydro is the largest citrus
producer in Hardee County with over 2,000 acres of
citrus. Fruit varieties include Robinson and Sunburst
tangerines, Orlando tangelos, grapefruit and oranges.
Approximately 90% of our production is oranges. While
all varieties of our citrus is shipped as packing house
fruit, approximately 85% is marketed and processed as
juice. The juice products may be concentrated or fresh
"not from concentrate."

FREDDIE LAMM:::: WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES WILL WE SEE
AT FARMLAND HYDRO?

U. K. Custred:::: The company is involved in citrus
development work that includes alternatives to weed
control to reduce herbicide usage; pest/nutrient
management; soil and water conservation; high density
citrus plantings; and solar energy as a power source
for operating an irrigation pump. The tour to the
solar energy test site will give visitors an
opportunity to see these programs that are under
development.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: GIVE US A FEW COMMENTS ON YOUR
INVOLVEMENT IN SOLAR PUMPING. HOW LONG HAVE YOU BEEN
DOING IT? HOW EXTENSIVE IS THE PUMPING? DO YOU HAVE
BACKUP NON SOLAR PUMPING SYSTEMS, ETC?

U. K. Custred:::: While reading through some literature
that came across my desk I learned the Florida Energy
Office was looking for six sites to install solar

panels in citrus operations. After several telephone
discussions and a couple on-site visits by GeoSolar
Energy Systems representative, the Farmland Hydro site
was selected for installation of solar panels as a
power source for a citrus irrigation pump.

The solar system was installed in November 1993. It is
the first installation of its kind in Florida citrus.
First's usually encounter unforeseen interruptions and
in anticipation of potential outages and modifications,
a backup system was installed.

The installation provides irrigation for 1,750 trees in
a 4.4 acre grove. The panels have a life expectancy of
20 years, providing free and dependable energy over the
projected 18 year life of the orchard. The
installation is designed to operate during sunlight
hours and is not suitable for conventional freeze
protection. However, we believe freeze protection can
be provided with the system. The test block uses
low-volume irrigation pulsators that give lower flow
rates than conventional micro-irrigation, combining the
slow application of drip with the broader distribution
of micro-sprinklers and jets.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: IT SEEMS YOU ARE SHARING SOME
SENSITIVE AND EXTENSIVE DEVELOPMENT WORK WITH YOUR
COMPETITORS. CAN YOU TELL US HOW YOU JUSTIFY GIVING UP
YOUR COMPETITIVE EDGE TO OTHERS?

U. K. Custred:::: Three goals or objectives were
established in the development work we are doing:

It must be environmentally sound--we are trying to find
ways to enhance the environment.

It must be user-friendly--the new technology must not
exceed the capability of the current work force.

It must be cost effective--we are looking for ways to
lower costs and increase profits.

We believe we are on track in meeting all these goals
and objectives.

The development work we do differs from that research
institutions do in that from the initial planning
stages we must look at the economic impacts it will
have on the operations. The economics look very
favorable but what we are learning suggests the
environmental impact may overshadow all other potential
benefits combined. For that reason we feel it is
important to share this information with other industry
leaders.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: CAN YOU GIVE US SOME INSIGHT OF YOUR
COMPANY'S ROLE IN THE FUTURE CITRUS DEVELOPMENT WORK?

U. K. Custred:::: We believe new technologies lie ahead
in the operation and management of citrus production.
Farmland Hydro plans to be an active participant in
that leadership role. That's why our philosophy is,
"In citrus it pays to climb out on the limb. that's
where the fruit is."

INTERVIEW WITH PHIL LEBLANC, AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS INC.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS DOES
AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS PRODUCE?

Phil LeBlanc::::: Agricultural Products Inc. basically
manufactures products that are used to put irrigation
systems together. API started over 20 years ago
manufacturing products that people needed for their
irrigation system that were not commercially available.
These first products were fittings for polyethylene
tubing. Our products have now grown to all types of
fittings for micro-drip irrigation systems; extruded
flexible PVC tubing and polyethylene tubing both round
and flat; Spin Clean filters manufactured in plastic,
epoxy coated steel and stainless steel and a variety of
accessory items for irrigation systems in general.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES WILL WE SEE
AT AGRICULTURAL PRODUCTS?

Phil LeBlanc::::: The activities that we plan to have
for the Drip Congress tour will include seeing three
extrusion lines in operation making several types of
tubing, a tour of our filter testing facility and
several displays. Our stop will be sure to give our
guests an opportunity to gain first hand knowledge of
polyethylene extrusion, quality control, micro-drip
component displays and Agricultural Products, the
company.

FREDDIE LAMM:::: ANY ADDITIONAL COMMENTS??

Phil LeBlanc::::: As I stated above, we have grown in
our business because we have been able to create unique
products that have solved other people's problems. So,
one thing that our guest can bring to us is their
micro-drip problems and API will work hard at finding
an answer for them.

INTERVIEW WITH SUSIE THAYER, PRESIDENT, MAXIJET INC.,
CONDUCTED BY FREDDIE LAMM

FREDDIE LAMM::::SUSIE, WHAT TYPES OF PRODUCTS DOES
MAXIJET PRODUCE?

We make low-volume spray jet irrigation equipment and
accessories such as stake assemblies, risers, shrub
adapters, pop-up adapters for high-volume to low-volume
conversions, spaghetti tubing, and other products. (A
display board will be located in at least two locations
showing all the products we manufacture.)

FREDDIE LAMM::::SUSIE, WHAT TYPES OF ACTIVITIES WILL WE
SEE AT MAXIJET?

Susie Thayer:::: First I will show them the production
area. We will first see a 300-ton machine make orange
13" stakes - 8 at a time with no runner. Next I will
walk them over to our smaller machines the 110- and
70-ton machines which will be making some of our jets.
then we will walk by our tool room where I will explain
that this is the room where we make and maintenance our
molds.

Next I will bring them into our quality
control/assembly room. We only assemble small and
urgent orders in this room. All other assembly is done
through contract labor outside, which is usually
Vietnamese labor. They have done up to 10,000 stake
assemblies in one night. I will show them how we
quality control the jets every hour by taking a shot
from the machine and testing the flow rate and spray
pattern. If the shot is a success then the whole hour
of production goes into the assembly room for a weight
count. I will also explain that Maxijet is the only
jet manufacturer that I know of that pass their jets
within a 2.5% ratio. All other manufacturers test and
pass their jets at the 5% industry standard.

We will then bring them out the front door to enter
back on the bus. At the side entrance where we will be
entering the group we will have a table set up with a
Maxijet catalog and soft drinks.

******

From rsoppe@asrr.arsusda.gov Thu Mar 23 22:25:14 1995
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 17:25:14 +0500
From: rsoppe@asrr.arsusda.gov (Richard Soppe)
Subject: Water Management Research Lab www-home pages

The World Wide Web pages at the Water Management
Reseach Lab (WMRL) have been updated during the
last couple of weeks. The drip-bibliography is
now available, and a summary of trickle-l
discussions, based on subject, can be obtained.
This summary is not yet up-to-date, but contains
already a lot of information.

The bibliography is divided into 11 categories.

bib1: Installation of SDI
bib2: Equipment/Hardware (hoses, fittings, emitters, etc)
bib3: Scheduling Techniques
bib4: Water balance of drip irrigated fields
bib5: Uniformity of drip systems
bib6: Operational problems/Maintenance
bib7: Water treatment/Water quality
bib8: Filtration
bib9: Fertigation/Chemigation
bib11: Crop responses to trickle/drip irrigation
bib10: General

To obtain any of these lists by e-mail, one should send a
message to the world-wide-web mail server:

Agora@mail.w3.org

with in the message the following line:

http://asset.arsusda.gov/bib1.html

where bib1 can be replaced by the bibliography of your
choice.

The summary of the trickle-l discussions can be obtained
in the same way, but with the following line in the message:

http://asset.arsusda.gov/faq.html

Richard Soppe subscribe to
Water Management Research lab TRICKLE-L@UNL.EDU
ARS/USDA or visit
2021 S. Peach Ave http://asset.arsusda.gov/WMRL.html
Fresno CA 93727-5951 for the latest in drip irrigation
phone: (209)453-3119
fax: (209)453-3122

From sjordan@seldon.terminus.com Thu Mar 23 07:00:26 1995
From: sjordan@seldon.terminus.com (Steve Jordan)
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 15:00:26 -0800 (PST)

> > 4) Do you irrigate frequently (couple times a day) or couple of times a
> week?
> >We irrigate at least weekly rain or shine. (mostly rain >recently). During
> the >"normal" season we irrigate every other day with the lenght depending
> on the crop >needs.
>
> I would recommend irrigating more frequently, but smaller doses of
> water....every day.
Ah. Interesting. With computers that is easy. With buried drip
mainlines and centralized filtration, it is difficult but possible. Some
people have movable filters and try to be portable. Daily irrigation with
that technique is virtually impossible.

> Another technique we (WMRL-ARS-USDA) have found is that by injecting ~15
> p.m.m. P (phosphoric acid) into the system at all times (or as often as
> possible) keeps roots from plugging the emitters. Frankly, we do not know if
> the pH of the phos-acid or the P actually prevent root intrusion. That's
> another study, hopefully soon.

I use a 3-9-9 solution for fertilizing. I think straight phos acid is
similar to sulfuric acid in it worker safety. ??? Could be wrong.

From sjordan@seldon.terminus.com Thu Mar 23 20:20:43 1995
Date: Thu, 23 Mar 1995 18:17:12 "PS
From: sjordan@seldon.terminus.com

>Root intrusion:
>
>Tough situation at times:
>
>Make certain that your drip laterals are well drained and that
>residual fertilizers are flushed from the system. Not a complete
>guarantee, but it helps. Some products exist that use Treflan as an
>inhibitor to root intrusion.
>
>Gary Clark
>BAE Dept. - Kansas State Univ.

Is Treflan _legal_. I would think the potential harm to be deminimus, but complying with pesticide laws is important. If not properly registered, there may be no incentive to do so from the manufacturer. There is no money in it, with great liability.

Is this something for IR 4?

From FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu Thu Mar 23 17:31:30 1995
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Microirrigation Congress Post Tour
Date: 23 Mar 95 23:31:30 CST

Fifth International Microirrigation Congress
Tour D, Thursday, April 6, 8:00 am - 12:30 pm
Includes all-day to EPCOT Center
Cost, $68.50
Preregistration required.

At Epcot '95 the tour participants will see state of the art
irrigation systems. Two areas will be visited. The first will be
the landscape irrigation system where weather stations are used to
schedule irrigation according to climate or predicted
evapotranspiration. This is one the largest and most complex systems
of its kind managing the bulk of irrigation needs for 6,000 acres of
developed property. Participants will also visit state of the art
greenhouses where research is conducted in areas ranging from
bio-technology to irrigation control. Participants will see patented
irrigation systems developed at Epcot '95

From TxGator@aol.com Thu Mar 23 20:26:09 1995
Date: Fri, 24 Mar 1995 01:26:09 -0500
From: TxGator@aol.com
Subject: Alfalfa

I'm interested in any available data regarding SSDI of alfalfa and other
forage crops. Does anyone have info. or experience relating to the economic
cost/benefit ratios of SSDI for forage crops?

Should it be chopped or baled, or is it better to graze and make income from
the livestock?

Any comments would be appreciated.
Jim Brigham

From LodiCraig@aol.com Sun Mar 26 09:50:01 1995
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 14:50:01 -0500
From: LodiCraig@aol.com
Subject: Re: Treflan legal?

>Is Treflan _legal_[?]

The Gowan Company has a California label for the use of Trifluralin (generic
name for Elanco's Treflan), for distribution through the drip system for the
purpose of weed control in specified crops. If you interpret a root
intruding into your emitter as a plant out of place, and therefore a weed,
then the label appears to fit. This interpretation is not without a little
controversey.

But how long will this label be valid? Since NRDC's successful negotiation
with EPA to blindly enforce the Delaney Clause, I wonder what the future of
Trifluralin is? (is my opinion showing?)

Maybe Rodney Ruskin could comment if that decision will have any impact on
the use of Trifluralin in Geoflow hose?

>I would think the potential harm to be deminimus, but complying with
pesticide laws is important.

I would like to reinforce your attitude. Professional farmers now recognize
that the last thing agriculture needs now is another 'illegal use of
pesticide' headline.

While the real potential harm of Trifluralin is deminimus, the media impact
of the mis-use of this material would be unpredictable and potentially
disasterous since it is listed as a _potential_ carcinogen and viewed by the
mis-informed as cancer causing.

I personally would be willing to use Trifluralin under the Gowan label on an
established need basis, and with the strictest of supervision and control of
the application. I would also be sure I allowed the soil moisture around the
emitters to drop below field capacity before further irrigations to ensure
appropriate binding to the soil and prevent migration of the material.

I have used the material for weed control in grapes thru above ground drip
with reasonable success ... it doesn't take much.

Craig Thompson

From wjmcgraw@students.wisc.edu Sun Mar 26 09:37:44 1995
Date: Sun, 26 Mar 1995 15:37:44 -0600
From: wjmcgraw@students.wisc.edu (William J. McGraw)

unsub trickle-l

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Mon Mar 27 10:50:52 1995
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 18:50:52 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

LodiCraig@aol.com wrote and Craig Thompson responded::

>>Is Treflan _legal_[?]

While I cannot give you any opinions on any of the questions you raise,
because I am not qualified to do so; however I am fairly well read on the
subject and will share with you the information that I have.

>The Gowan Company has a California label for the use of Trifluralin (generic
>name for Elanco's Treflan), for distribution through the drip system for the
>purpose of weed control in specified crops. If you interpret a root
>intruding into your emitter as a plant out of place, and therefore a weed,
>then the label appears to fit. This interpretation is not without a little
>controversey.

Information: Gowan initialy stated that their product could be used for
root intrusion prevention. This claim was later withdrawn.

>But how long will this label be valid? Since NRDC's successful negotiation
>with EPA to blindly enforce the Delaney Clause, I wonder what the future of
>Trifluralin is? (is my opinion showing?)

Information: A rather old Elanco MSDA for Treflan reads:
VIII 2 d. Carcinogenicity - NCL - Evidence of carcinogenicity (invalid
study due to nitrosamine impurity). EPA - Class C - possible human
carcinogen (limited evidence from animal studies). Lilly studies support
noncarcinogen status.
Not listed as carcinogen or potential carcinogen by ACGIH, IARC, NTP or OSHA

>Maybe Rodney Ruskin could comment if that decision will have any impact on
>the use of Trifluralin in Geoflow hose?

Information: Too difficult a question to comment

>I would think the potential harm to be deminimus, but complying with
>pesticide laws is important.
>
>I would like to reinforce your attitude. Professional farmers now recognize
>that the last thing agriculture needs now is another illegal use of
>pesticide' headline.

>While the real potential harm of Trifluralin is deminimus, the media impact
>of the mis-use of this material would be unpredictable and potentially
>disasterous since it is listed as a _potential_ carcinogen and viewed by the
>mis-informed as cancer causing.

:) Exactly - all we need is two uninformed actresses on T.V. attacking
trifluralin.

>I personally would be willing to use Trifluralin under the Gowan label on an
>established need basis, and with the strictest of supervision and control of
>the application.

Information: The Gowan lable reads (slightly amended to remove the example
calculation in 2, 3, 4, and 5, which is irrelevant):
Calculation of the use rate: Calculation of use rate is based on wetted
area around emitters - NOT on tree acres. Apply Gowan Trifluralin 5
according to the dosages on this label. To determine the correct amount of
Gowan Trifluralin 5, u e the following formula:
1. Treated area per each emitter = A
A = 3.14 x (radius x radius)
Example: If the average distance from emitter to perimeter of wetted area
(measured one inch below soils surface) = 13 inches, then
A = 3.14 x (13 x 13) = 530.7 square inches

2. The area in square feet wet in each acre = B
B = A x (emitters / acre) divided by 144

3. The total area (in square feet) wet by your system = C
C = B x (acres covered by system)

4. The total area (in acres) wet by your system = D
D = C divided by 43,560

5. D x (desired rate of Trifluralin 5) = amount to be injected into system.

If one is practicing "real" subsurface drip with the surface dry then
A = zero and all the other calculations from 1 to 5 equal zero.
If one is just burying a tape a few inches under the ground to prevent the
wind from blowing it away, then the calculation will not be zero.

>I would also be sure I allowed the soil moisture around the
>emitters to drop below field capacity before further irrigations to ensure
>appropriate binding to the soil and prevent migration of the material.

Information: The Gowan lable reads:
Inject Gowan Trifluralin 5 into the system during the last stage of an
irrigation cycle. .......... After application is completed, flush
equipment with clean water, then continue to irrigate for one and a half to
two hours.

Rodney.

From LodiCraig@aol.com Mon Mar 27 18:09:18 1995
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 23:09:18 -0500
From: LodiCraig@aol.com

As has been pointed out quite clearly: trifluralin (Treflan) has shown
little or no carcinogenic potential.

>Information: A rather old Elanco MSDA for Treflan reads:
>VIII 2 d. Carcinogenicity - NCL - Evidence of carcinogenicity (invalid
>study due to nitrosamine impurity). EPA - Class C - possiblehuman
>carcinogen (limited evidence from animal studies). Lilly studies support
>noncarcinogen status.
>Not listed as carcinogen or potential carcinogen by ACGIH, IARC, NTP or OSHA

But somehow, in the course of negotiations between the NRDC and EPA, triflural
in (Treflan) was named as one of thirty six pesticides to be phased out in
the next two years under their strict interpretation of the Delany Clause. I
know it doesn't make sense, but it is what will happen if appropriate federal
legislation does not take place.

As you may know, the Delany Clause only applies to crops destined for
processed foods (where concentration of pesticides _may_ occur. How this
applies to this material as used in a drip system is very unclear to me.

Does this mean the material may be usable for Alfalfa, but not for canning
tomatoes? ... But may be O.K. for fresh tomatoes?

If the deal between E.P.A. and N.R.D.C. stands, I would also like to know
what the tested tolerances for trifluralin will be ... and if the use of
impregnated materials will ever push into those tolerances.

As the most succesful S.D.I. systems depend on trifluralin in one way or
another, I believe it would behoove us all to anticipate the impact of the
'deal' to determine whether or not it is a problem for S.D.I.

If anybody has further insight into this issue, please post it! I hope my
concerns are un-warranted.

Craig Thompson

From ConceptCre@aol.com Mon Mar 27 18:50:37 1995
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 1995 23:50:37 -0500
From: ConceptCre@aol.com
Subject: index

get index

From geoflowr@halcyon.com Tue Mar 28 10:05:36 1995
Date: Tue, 28 Mar 1995 18:05:36 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

I will ask the relevant people at DowElanco, and if I get a reply that they
permit me to put on to the net, I will do so. This may take a few weeks.

Rodney.

Prepared by Steve Modena AB4EL modena@SunSITE.unc.edu