From ab4el@ab4el.com Sat May 18 00:00 EDT 1996
From: Stephen Modena <modena@SunSITE.unc.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L LOG9511
Date: Sat, 18 May 1996 00:01:00 -0400 (EDT)

This is the compendium of TRICKLE-L digests for November 1995.

It was prepared from the daily digest mailings. Some digests
may be missing, because occasional mailings are lost en route.

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Nov 1 14:17 EST 1995
Date: Wed, 1 Nov 1995 08:07:30 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 335

Contents:
Re: IRRISOFT and other ("Jos Balendonck, IMAG-DLO,PO-Box 43,NL6700AA,Wageningen")
Re: TRICKLE-L digest 334 (rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov)
Re: TRICKLE-L digest 334 ("Jos Balendonck, IMAG-DLO,PO-Box 43,NL6700AA,Wageningen")

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 16:32:43 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Jos Balendonck, IMAG-DLO,PO-Box 43,NL6700AA,Wageningen"
Subject: Re: IRRISOFT and other

Dear Thomas Stein

My address is: j.balendonck@imag.agro.nl

you could try also: j.balendonck@imag.dlo.nl

Is it possible to reply within your software ?

I have already sent you the information by mail.

Regards

Jos

Date: Tue, 31 Oct 1995 11:42:36 -0500 (EST)
From: rmead@asrr.arsusda.gov
Subject: Re: TRICKLE-L digest 334

Recently Jos Balendonck from the Netherlands stated:

>we have a lot of information on these sensors, publications on f.i.
how this technology compares to TDR-techniques and how to calibrate them.
Furthermore we have information on the chip (ASIC) we have designed to
construct this sensor. (Publication on IEEE congres and a datasheet).
This ASIC is also available on the market for industries to design there
own sensor with it.<

>Perhaps it is interesting for trickle-l to have abstracts or publications
available.<
He then asked for the address of Trickle-l/Water Management Research Lab..

Our snail mail address is:

WMRL
2021 South Peach
Fresno, CA. USA
93727

I would like to look at your information. We have been working with
various types of soil moisture instrumentation over the years and being
the technophile-geek that I am, would love to see new things coming out.
If any one else on the Trickle-L list has new things coming onto the market
and would like to discuss them, you could send me information about
the product and I will instigate conversation about it if deemed interesting.

Richard Mead
Trickle-L manager

Date: Wed, 01 Nov 1995 08:01:54 +0000 (GMT)
From: "Jos Balendonck, IMAG-DLO,PO-Box 43,NL6700AA,Wageningen"

Dear Richard,

Since I have your address, I will mail you all the information we have.
Please indicate me afterward what kind of information you want in
Electronic form.

Thanks for your answer.

Jos Balendonck

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri Nov 3 21:35 EST 1995
Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:51:04 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 337

Contents:
(sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield))
large scale dripper applications (sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield))
Re: large scale dripper applications (FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm))
Re: large scale dripper applications (FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm))
Re: large scale dripper applications (sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield))
Re: large scale dripper applications (geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin))
Re: large scale dripper applications (ScottGood@aol.com)
Re: large scale dripper applications (sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield))
New subscriber (MEAD2513@aol.com)
RE: large scale dripper applications (Goldberg <goldberg@eden.com>)

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:34:12 +1100 (EST)
From: sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield)

recipients trickle-l
information trickle-l
statistics trickle-l
Dale Sinfield
"A little Tassie export"

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 08:59:41 +1100 (EST)
From: sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield)
Subject: large scale dripper applications

SUB-SURFACE DRIP IRRIGATION - OPERATIONAL AND DESIGN EXPERIENCE

I am enquiring about any experiences out there anyone might have with
sub-surface dripper systems, for the application of treated effluent in
particular, or any other source in general.

I am currently designing the effluent re-use component of our cities new
Sewage Treatment Plant. As part of that project approximately 12 ML/day
(12,000m=B3) of reclaimed water (tertiary treated effluent) is to be used on
mostly irrigated woodlots and possibly an agricultural venture such as a
vineyard.

However approximately 500 KL/day (500m=B3) is being considered for use on=
the
cities parks and recreational playing fields that are within an economic
distance of the treatment plant. These parks and gardens are presently
irrigated with a combination of potable water, and water from the nearby
Murray River. The method of application is by pop-up gear driven sprinklers.

It is relatively straightforward (although expensive) engineering exercise
to provide the reclaimed water to these parks and areas by pumping from our
maturation lagoon up to a 1 ML Reservoir and then gravity feeding the
reclaimed water into the existing sprinkler pipework some 3 km away.

Converting the system such that the feed is reclaimed water is not a big
issue, what is is the method of application. It is possible to utilise the
existing sprinkler system and pipework but it places limitations on us in
the areas of gravity feeder main, number of stages, times of the day over
which irrigation can take place and EPA and Health Department concerns and
regulations. Not to mention public opinion, which is yet to be accurately
gauged but could be the overriding constraint.

The alternative is the use of the sub-surface dripper systems such as
products like Wasteflow and Rootguard offered by Geoflow inc. Theoretically
these products offer advantages in versatility in staging, gravity main
minimisation, application control etc for my project.

My problem lies in that whilst it does not seem to be technically a
difficult matter to retrofit the existing sprinkler system over to
sub-surface drippers or indeed install a new system, there is little
practical design or in-situ experience of these products over large areas eg
> 3 ha (7 acres) and for a reasonable length of time eg > 2 years.
Consequently it is difficult to gauge the effectiveness, suitability and
performance of these products.

Has anyone had some experiences or know some contacts out there that might
be enlightening ?

Our soils are variable in all our parks from sandy loam through to clay
loam. We expect emitter spacings of 60cm (2 ft) and similar spacings for
laterals.

I would be grateful if anyone could forward any comments they might have on
experiences with these products and traps/pitfalls they have encountered in
the design and or operation of these systems. Any contact names, numbers,
e-mail addresses would be appreciated as well as any alternative products to
the Geoflow products for evaluation.

Dale Sinfield
sinfield@deakin.edu.au

Dale Sinfield=20
"A little Tassie export"

Date: 02 Nov 95 17:56:14 CST
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Re: large scale dripper applications

I'm not sure what you specific question is. Are you primarily
interested in longterm SDI operations, of which there are several in
US?

Or are you primarily interested in design procedures for SDI?

Or are you primarily interested in operation specifically with effluent??

Freddie
*

Freddie Lamm *
Research Agricultural Engineer *** o
KSU Northwest Research-Extension Center ***** /|\
105 Experiment Farm Road *******\\
Colby, Kansas 67701-1697 *********
Ph. 913-462-6281 ***********
FAX 913-462-2315 *************
Email:flamm@oznet.ksu.edu It's all downhill from here.

------ THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ, THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ. ------

Date: 02 Nov 95 17:51:31 CST
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 14:25:52 +1100 (EST)
From: sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield)

>I'm not sure what you specific question is. Are you primarily
>interested in longterm SDI operations, of which there are several in
>US?
>
>Or are you primarily interested in design procedures for SDI?
>
>Or are you primarily interested in operation specifically with effluent??
>

>Freddie
>*
>Freddie Lamm *
>Research Agricultural Engineer *** o
>KSU Northwest Research-Extension Center ***** /|\
>105 Experiment Farm Road *******\\
>Colby, Kansas 67701-1697 *********
>Ph. 913-462-6281 ***********
>FAX 913-462-2315 *************
>Email:flamm@oznet.ksu.edu It's all downhill from here.
>
>------ THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ, THERE'S NO DOMAIN LIKE OZ. ------

Freddie,

My queries relate to all of the above really.

Have long term SDI operations been a success, in my instance for parklands,
turf and sporting grounds in particular ? Have any SDI operations that have
or are using treated effluent been successful or is BOD/SS problems, and
therefore algae growth, a real concern for such irrigation practices if not
dealt with satisfactorily. What have been the operational
experiences/problems associated with SDI. Are there any real traps in the
design of these systems which are not readily apparent.

Are there any other products you know of other than the Geoflow "Wasteflow"
and has the Geoflow products performed okay ?

Regards

Dale >
Dale Sinfield
"A little Tassie export"

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 20:10:30 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

At 4:15 PM 11/2/95 -0600, Dale Sinfield wrote:
>SUB-SURFACE DRIP IRRIGATION - OPERATIONAL AND DESIGN EXPERIENCE
>

>My problem lies in that whilst it does not seem to be technically a
>difficult matter to retrofit the existing sprinkler system over to
>sub-surface drippers or indeed install a new system, there is little
>practical design or in-situ experience of these products over large areas e=
>> 3 ha (7 acres) and for a reasonable length of time eg > 2 years.
>Consequently it is difficult to gauge the effectiveness, suitability and
>performance of these products.
>
>Has anyone had some experiences or know some contacts out there that might
>be enlightening ?

Because the above inquiry implies that Geoflow does not have extensive
experience with wastewater and SDI to set the public record right I would
like to bring the following list to the attention of any interested party.

Large Geoflow SDI WASTEFLOW=81 systems include:

=46ort Myers International Airport
Consulting engineers:
Mr. Jack Wilson, Ed Harper
Burns & McDonnell
P. O. Box 419173
Kansas City MO 64141-6173
816 333-4375 Fax: 822-3415
=46ort Myers Airport
Lee Count Port Authority
Marvin M. Buford, Grounds Supervisor
William Doc Van Rite, Supt. of Maintenance
Southwest Florida International Airport
16000 Chamberlin Pkwy, Suite 8671
=46ort Myers, FL 33913
Marvin: 813 768-4413 Fax: 4489
Doc: 813 768-4713 Fax: 4489
Approx. 1,000,000 sq. ft. disposal field in grass on wetlands to dispose of
approximately 250,000 gpd. Federal contract approved by both Federal and
=46lorida EPA, and Florida Health Authorities.

City of Oakleigh (Melbourne, Australia)
Consulting engineers:
Woodward Clyde
Peter Gearing,
22 Heather Street
Parnell, Auckland
New Zealand
011 64 9 3099477 Fax: 3099702
Approx. 250,000 sq. ft. disposal field in turf in school playing fields and
park.

Kukuiula Development Project, Kauai, Hawaii
Designed and installed by:
Irrigation Technology Corporation
Mr. Elson C. Gushiken
Mr. Mike Farrell
P. O. Box 458
66-079 Kam Highway
Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712
808 637-5078 Fax: 637-4779
1 million gallons per day under turf.

Holoholokaibeach Park, Mauna Lani Resort, Island of Hawaii.
Designed and installed by:
Irrigation Technology Corporation
Mr. Elson C. Gushiken
Mr. Mike Farrell
P. O. Box 458
66-079 Kam Highway
Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712
808 637-5078 Fax: 637-4779
Approx. 3 acres of park land is irrigated with effluent with the high level
of salinity of 900 mg/l.

Brigham Young University, Hawaii
Designed by CH2MHILL (with advice from ITC)
Peter H. Rude, P.E.
2525 Airport Drive 96001-2443
P. O. Box 492478
Redding, CA 96049-2478
916 243 5886 Ext 3396
=46ax: -1654
Brigham Young University
Brett Borup
368 CB
Provo, UT 84601
Tel: 801 378 6311
Approximately 75 acres of landscape playing fields and turf.

Date: Thu, 2 Nov 1995 23:30:58 -0500
From: ScottGood@aol.com

>Subj: Re: large scale dripper applications
>Date: 95-11-02 23:13:00 EST
>From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

>Because the above inquiry implies that Geoflow does not have extensive
>experience with wastewater and SDI to set the public record right I would
>like to bring the following list to the attention of any interested party.

Rodney,

I can not speak for others, but I think that the message was geared towards
gaining more info... I know I would be knocking on every door around to
double and redouble the research effort for ALL information just for peace of
mind in such a LARGE project.

Is there such a thing as too much data....?????

As a local company puts it "An Educated Consumer IS OUR BEST CUSTOMER!!!"

Me....SMG

Scott Good

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 15:57:04 +1100 (EST)
From: sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield)

> [...]
>Mr. Elson C. Gushiken
>Mr. Mike Farrell
>P. O. Box 458
>66-079 Kam Highway
>Haleiwa, Hawaii 96712
>808 637-5078 Fax: 637-4779
>Approx. 3 acres of park land is irrigated with effluent with the high level
>of salinity of 900 mg/l.
>
>Brigham Young University, Hawaii
>Designed by CH2MHILL (with advice from ITC)
>Peter H. Rude, P.E.
>2525 Airport Drive 96001-2443
>P. O. Box 492478
>Redding, CA 96049-2478
>916 243 5886 Ext 3396
>=46ax: -1654
>Brigham Young University
>Brett Borup
>368 CB
>Provo, UT 84601
>Tel: 801 378 6311
>Approximately 75 acres of landscape playing fields and turf.

I did not mean to cast dispersions on Geoflow products in my enquiry, I was
just asking for peoples opinions.
I have faxed all the above contacts stated but am yet to get a reply. These
contacts were provided by geoflow for me to check out which I was grateful
for. A good engineer checks out all opinions on products, favourable and
unfavourable as well as researching alternative products and suppliers, in a
thorough design process. My original enquiries still stand

Regards

Dale Sinfield
Dale Sinfield
"A little Tassie export"

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 00:57:15 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: New subscriber

The following reply to the welcome survey/questions is from Mike Milligan, a
new subscriber:

>1) Briefly, what is your affiliation with trickle/drip irrigation?
I use subsurface drip on about 25 acres of Monterey pine Xmas trees.

>2) What crops or plants do you use drip irrigation on?
The pine.

>3) If using subsurface drip irrigation, what is the average depth of
>placement of the drip lateral?
Two to 3 inches deep about 10+ inches from the truck line.

>4) What problems have you encountered with drip irrigation?
Difficulties in scheduling. I use irrometers and water budgeting, but still
am finding myself miffed at times.

>5) Fertigation is a real advantage of drip irrigation. What form of N, P
>and K have you been trying and to what success?
Usually put on N, P and K by hand before rains quit, then N the rest of the
season via injection. Pretty good results.

>6) Have you experienced a reduction in fertilizer and/or water use?
Less fertilizer, more water. The old handline and overhead guns used to
limit our ability to put down as much and as frequently as the water budget
method indicated. Now it is easy.

>7) Do you have water quality problems? If so, how do you tackle the
>situation?
We have good water, thank God.

>8) How frequent do you irrigate? Many times a day or just one long
>session per day or several days?
Depends on the soil type. In the heat of summer on coarse sand 3 or 4 times
weekly. In our heavier loams sometimes once or twice weekly in the heat of
summer.

>9) Do you have rodent damage? If so, how do you control the problem?
Worst is squirrels, followed by rabbits, both of which we control with a
good anti-coagulant bait. Gophers, if allowed to go unchecked can raise
hell, but we stay up with them using Macabee traps.

>10) Are you pleased with the uniformity of your system or systems? Were
>they designed correctly?
I'm embarassed to say I've never measured flow around the field. I know I
should and I will. But looking up the row I can see a very uniform wetted
band from our shallowly buried lines.

>11) How did you find out about our mailing list?
Someone mentioned it on the newsgroup, Sci.agriculture.

I look forward to this listserver even though I am a rank rooky and know
nothing about using one. I guess I'll learn.

Thanks,
Mike

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 05:04:59 -0600
From: Goldberg <goldberg@eden.com>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BAA9AA.3B56F900

----------
SUB-SURFACE DRIP IRRIGATION - OPERATIONAL AND DESIGN EXPERIENCE

I am enquiring about any experiences out there anyone might have with
sub-surface dripper systems, for the application of treated effluent in
particular, or any other source in general.

I am currently designing the effluent re-use component of our cities new
Sewage Treatment Plant. As part of that project approximately 12 ML/day
(12,000m=3DB3) of reclaimed water (tertiary treated effluent) is to be =
used on
mostly irrigated woodlots and possibly an agricultural venture such as a
vineyard.

However approximately 500 KL/day (500m=3DB3) is being considered for use =
on=3D
> [...]

Consequently it is difficult to gauge the effectiveness, suitability and
performance of these products.

Has anyone had some experiences or know some contacts out there that =
might
be enlightening ?

Our soils are variable in all our parks from sandy loam through to clay
loam. We expect emitter spacings of 60cm (2 ft) and similar spacings for
laterals.

I would be grateful if anyone could forward any comments they might have =
on
experiences with these products and traps/pitfalls they have encountered =
in
the design and or operation of these systems. Any contact names, =
numbers,
e-mail addresses would be appreciated as well as any alternative =

Dale Sinfield=3D20
"A little Tassie export"

Mr. Sinfield:

My company is in the business of designing and providing equipment of =
drip irrigation systems for wastewater reuse. Please call me at (512) =
329-0066, since a full discussion of the possibilities would be too =
limited by e-mail.

Rick Goldberg
Drip-Tech Wastewater Systems
------ =_NextPart_000_01BAA9AA.3B56F900

eJ8+IgsLAQaQCAAEAAAAAAABAAEAAQeQBgAIAAAA5AQAAAAAAADoAAENgAQAAgAAAAIAAgABBJAG
ABABAAABAAAADAAAAAMAADADAAAACwAPDgAAAAACAf8PAQAAAEEAAAAAAAAAgSsfpL6jEBmdbgDd
AQ9UAgAAAAB0cmlja2xlLWxAdW5sLmVkdQBTTVRQAHRyaWNrbGUtbEB1bmwuZWR1AAAAAB4AAjAB
AAAABQAAAFNNVFAAAAAAHgADMAEAAAASAAAAdHJpY2tsZS1sQHVubC5lZHUAAAADABUMAQAAAAMA
/g8GAAAAHgABMAEAAAAUAAAAJ3RyaWNrbGUtbEB1bmwuZWR1JwACAQswAQAAABcAAABTTVRQOlRS
SUNLTEUtTEBVTkwuRURVAAADAAA5AAAAAAsAQDoBAAAAAgH2DwEAAAAEAAAAAAAAA6QuAQiABwAY
AAAASVBNLk1pY3Jvc29mdCBNYWlsLk5vdGUAMQgBBIABACUAAABSRTogbGFyZ2Ugc2NhbGUgZHJp
cHBlciBhcHBsaWNhdGlvbnMAYQ0BBYADAA4AAADLBwsAAwAFAAQAOwAFACkBASCAAwAOAAAAywcL
AAMABQABABEABQD8AAEJgAEAIQAAADY3NzE1MkNGOTkxNUNGMTFBRjRENDQ0NTUzNTQwMDAwAOkG
AQOQBgB4CwAAEgAAAAsAIwAAAAAAAwAmAAAAAAALACkAAAAAAAMANgAAAAAAQAA5AOCgkTfcqboB
HgBwAAEAAAAlAAAAUkU6IGxhcmdlIHNjYWxlIGRyaXBwZXIgYXBwbGljYXRpb25zAAAAAAIBcQAB
AAAAFgAAAAG6qdw3kc9ScWgVmRHPr01ERVNUAAAAAB4AHgwBAAAABQAAAFNNVFAAAAAAHgAfDAEA
AAASAAAAZ29sZGJlcmdAZWRlbi5jb20AAAADAAYQ8Wp6dgMABxCcCwAAHgAIEAEAAABlAAAALS0t
LS0tLS0tLUZST006REFMRVNJTkZJRUxEU01UUDpTSU5GSUVMREBERUFLSU5FRFVBVVNFTlQ6VEhV
UlNEQVksTk9WRU1CRVIwMiwxOTk1NDoyNlBNVE86TVVMVElQTEVSRQAAAAACAQkQAQAAAO8JAADr
CQAAPRIAAExaRnVH9wfZ/wAKAQ8CFQKoBesCgwBQAvIJAgBjaArAc2V0MjcGAAbDAoMyA8UCAHBy
QnER4nN0ZW0CgzN3AuQHEwKAfQqACM8J2TvxFg8yNTUCgAqBDbELYOBuZzEwMxRQCwoUUTUL8mMA
QCAKhQqLbGkIMTgwAtFpLTE0njQN8AzQHNMLWTE2CqDrA2AT0GMFQC0e9wqHHavrDDAedkYDYTof
/h52DIJ0IEQHQGUGAAuAHKBlAGxkW1NNVFA6SwCQJCRADbBhawuALsEJgHUuYXVdH58grU8GYAIw
Id8i61RoCHBzkGRheSwHsG92E+AiYgSQIDAyKvAxOQA5NSA0OjI2IMxQTSZfIK1UbyifIutwTXVs
dAUgI9EWEGOPBSAIkAIwBCBvZiAcMMcTwCyvJ251YmoesS7PcyLrC2ByZyPgBPAjwmT1BRFwK3Fh
N5AcMDcQMNDNAiBzGv8cAzM2HXcaRREn11VCLTugUkZBBENFI6BSSVAgSQJSPHBHQVRJT05BHuAg
T1BFUj0DQZJMFLBORCOgRVM84BJOI2NFWD2RSUVOSzwwOKxJN9BtIAnwcbx1aQUQGRA30AbgdQVA
tQBweUDweDehMYFjB5H5QcJ0aASQI+BCAQIgI+BwbWlnaAVAEYArMCBXA/BDQAqFczRgLUVwctZm
ANA3SHMTs3Mq8AIQ7wXAQ0E32jHSdBYQOEAJgO9A8A3QCkECMCALgAqFCrH9MNBjMLAKwCrwBbFC
Ah6Q30NRNvAIYUYBC4AgNtBD4LpyB0AuP99A4EqgchYQ3QIwbEIgDbAAkGcDAEFx50eCSTcWEC11
EbBOIANw/nBD0UmRMeEIYU4gRNAIkJsEIEPgdwqFBmB3YTbRLlRIwgeASZFQGPF0Lv8UsAQgSlJI
cxGABUAecTSCuzfSA2B4B3BI4U6hMRHgWE1MLyrBCoUoVrAsgRxwMG09QjMpMdL/MTELYQeASRBS
8BPQV5FZcX8w0ArAQiBIvlhgBABDMG/6ICtgIFBxSRACIAqFBGAvE8BOoUFABRBnSON3b38EcBWg
MbEAcEkQUOAEEGm/AmBCIAORUwAFEEqhdAhwvQdAICswAjAIcDbhdRFwlzfQXmEKhXYLgGV5CxHh
TP1Ib3dlKzA3w1YJ8jUccCBLVvNXoGShWCT/W3ErYEFiBaAAgQSBSQFHQvtQcgIgPQqFQzIKhVHF
CrF+a15kMTFIwjhhYCELUXn/QWIkM1uBVRIKwESkTFEDkd0FkW4DcDggCoVkMiEAcP9GAVTTI+BI
s1OTC1FUEipw/weQI+BpeF2QCyAJ8F5hQ3H/E1BwIU6CCoVdWUTRN9BQov5iC4BIJ1DgAZEj0VlT
KvC/XoJZVANSR3ND4ArAYlc25zCgTlBlIVJpY4Fv40QA/RHAaARwMdJHymXyQiBQ4PpwUGBwTHFt
wgUQYFE28PsTUAuAayPQEaBM/kmhBCD/FhALYDDQKzBOoRPATMBEIr9HQVLwCyBXoAdAePF1RDDf
QjMAgSswWGAJ8Gdh4QZx/0FxQkAEkDFQEbAKhVuhHnH/YdANsEdzWL5boUNBcDtsIfthIXpidVDQ
ayN2YghhXHbvOEBgAUgzC2BnXgADoHrRP1uhc7Aa0FbgB/BwIXJ2fm9BQF5zQ0FMYUzAYdB0/UIg
ZgngbfBPRAqFWL4LgP+EVEIxMiFBYnvHSkAFIAfQDQWwa0vRB4AgMyBrtUDgYVLweUz9CFBuY4H/
jhNHgka0YMRVA0eCiyJ9dN+MbVIRHpBzoXQAZ3JWBBD7ClAq8HdVEltxW3J4rzgl/1QwfVRexW7R
W7BB0AMQgcHfaFmN30aWXnSPFmJB0UTQ/2rSQsIcMEQQAZA4U1xBW/H/SbhHg4WTMeGKqitxAMAL
gP0q8G6GICtiMeFuETbQRxH/MNAHgm6FZRIrIYcGlsA4IL9hAF1VSEI3EAOgAZBrcEGjnlJec0VQ
QV5zSCWA+3+BI6BlSlJTk2aBQsAEoPteY4vXZ0qxOFNUMCsQQyH/W7BTkkhChhACYDggMdCGQe84
YZaipYMEIHkRwFuVAND/TjFWUwqFXZB/wEkBndIFoP8wsK/BgvSksgUQi1Nmgn5y/1QROKx4kn9x
BJF945c2Z3P/bpRFf0aIYMZJ5gNgJfAewPuekqbRV2EgE9AY4GNQXnP/CAAekKqQfyIx4IsgZvJ6
YdxHZTHguTILgGNv4wWw+xHAOCFscjeEhbgGulM30LxkdlQBo0JMQmOBczhB/xwwivFMUaMiQWEq
8IqmoiL/XHaswUQQv3Ks8kfKZoFIsNsG8EDwdKyAR0JtenFVZP1M/U3Eo3UBQOAcML7kVQPNpWFs
E8CeAmRvUgKVYe8RsJKRW6QeoWgDALxTYUf/bfAN0F+zh3KEFbwRA2AcoP+TRJtvnHeksluRRQ83
RzHB/40iDbCTwrHBvGFzoVIxRqX/o4FDU1txv7FOkGiGE1AA0N+8M07F0JS1gETQdUI5bnW/vUtj
gjakhYSqgAqFPo/R+xGAV6A3rlFx0VhgXoJHQv9zsIWSapF1AiPQGRBzgUiC/wdx2JHZIRHgrcAR
kUz2kWH/EbBBIE50nhFbccrIW6Gvc/9PZh6xe3IHkEcRz1Ce4XQA/7+zqdg3oUdBA4HWT7hBYl5/
YSJDtBGASRCPk0JLBcBr/20w0gGPosOS1CFC6lUDRBN/CoVb0QnwHDBEMQnwQWI//TisT1GRS+DH
wWwTvoAHIf91Amyi0ZFRgml0dlO/cF6Q/0IgFaBA0UNAA2B/wluhWNH3VzbvolQwV+aUHsET4NNB
v0aCCrAxUBkQMcM6EGNA4P4oEeABgNokAJBEEDah8sj/R0Hw5lliB0B8X13hsEWKof+5ATCwSbB5
UUO0sCR+5kIC/1CxU5KXU8EhRChcV0JKc2PHvR2KE0zAcHMvMXB+0P+8YfslRHNCoQhgAjBm45/b
/9SlXoIFsXqgTLFIN3ATRrX/VDH6g+hjUiBA0KNiooRHEO2a9i3BQdGhZDdg4QH9Yv+wNlXSMUFI
42EhY2DRkuWT/7Nrt/fOx0eCuwa390dCY3D/I8C6AJjDOKwju87mJP8mAtsObyPoPRqAMlUip8DT
NJ+zIGEgmbDmk9qQdCI4ru0Z7014YSQGOjo/HpQ5H/86LRn8Fq/GElCyQgKXEscy/yPgndAQgeEB
MdJO2F6DgqP7gTNBIXBTkx/iN3GluraW/0dCUvC2sVlUqnBQcVQwU9H/haFQkdGCj7FVIWVQVrBY
YJAzMjktZXA2NuEx/7uBQ4FHMDCw1IGWUEqgXuH/A4detb+ixuL311ugW7Ces6+6pAb09s14IGOP
cEfD4JZkorGV1kQ3cS1UyZFbuMRZVFO2pDJVfTJQAAEwwAADABAQAAAAAAMAERAAAAAAQAAHMICb
A7PbqboBQAAIMICbA7PbqboBHgA9AAEAAAAFAAAAUkU6IAAAAABhVA==

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sat Nov 4 23:21 EST 1995
Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 08:51:36 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 338

Contents:
Intro (Patrick.Joyce@property.camcnty.gov.uk)
Re: large scale dripper applications (Merriott@aol.com)
Hose end monitoring (milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap))
Re: large scale dripper applications (geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin))

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 17:28:28 +0000
From: Patrick.Joyce@property.camcnty.gov.uk
Subject: Intro

I've lurked for a while so I suppose it's now time to say hello!

1) Briefly, what is your affiliation with trickle/drip irrigation?

I'm a broadly-based agriculturalist and engineer with specialisms in
land drainage and irrigation.

2) What crops or plants do you use drip irrigation on?
Strawberries-beneath polythene mulch
Raspberries
Runner beans

3) If using subsurface drip irrigation, what is the average depth of
placement of the drip lateral?
c.30mm.

4) What problems have you encountered with drip irrigation?
Poor EU
Lower than expected application rates (from manufacturers info)
Blocked emitters
Rodent damage

5) Fertigation is a real advantage of drip irrigation. What form of N,
P and K have you been trying and to what success?
Tailor made multi part acid chemigation, with good results on soils
notoriously deficient in many nutrients.

6) Have you experienced a reduction in fertilizer and/or water use?
No. Other forms of irrigation are largely unfeasible due to soiltype
and method of growing.

7) Do you have water quality problems? If so, how do you tackle the
situation?
Yes, surface and groundwater is saline 2.5-3dS/m. Thus potable mains
supply water is used extensively.(expensively!)

8) How frequent do you irrigate? Many times a day or just one long
session per day or several days?

On an ad hoc basis dependent on rainfall but frequently enough to
deliver the required fertiliser

9) Do you have rodent damage? If so, how do you control the problem?
Yes, Mice. We suffer it, ideas?

10) Are you pleased with the uniformity of your system or systems?
Were they designed correctly?
No, poor EU. Deteriorates markedly with age.
Designed in accordance with manufacturers recommendations.

11) How did you find out about our mailing list?
New-List

Patrick.Joyce@property.camcnty.gov.uk

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 17:36:14 -0500
From: Merriott@aol.com

I have had some experience with treated wastewater irrigation, although not
with subsurface drippers. The biggest problem I have seen is that the
evapotranspiration requirements of the crop irrigated do not always coincide
with the amount of effluent generated, and the wastewater has to go
somewhere. Consequently, sometimes people will overirrigate, overload the
system, and pollute the groundwater. For this reason, the systems using the
effluent should be sufficiently large to handle all the effluent generated
and be able to use other water sources when sufficient effluent is not
available.

Treated wastewater is used extensively in Florida for irrigating turf areas
and also in some citrus and other crops. Many citrus growers have been
reluctant to use it because of the fear of consumer backlash. Everywhere it
is used in turf, you see little signs that say "reclaimed water in use".
There does not seem to be the same stigma in turf, at least from what I can
tell. Using it on non food crops seems to less controversial. Everyone
seems to think of it as recycling. It is less pleasant to think of drinking
a glass of orange juice that was grown on treated wastewater. However most
of the growers seem to have no problem with spreading sludge on their groves!

Randall

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 19:21:56 -0800
From: milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap)
Subject: Hose end monitoring

A story, then a question.

The story:

A fellow I heard talking once said he used a relatively thin-walled
T-Tape-like product on the ends of his subsurface lines. He used a foot or
so length that rose from underground at about a 45 degree angle so when the
line was adequately pressurized these otherwise limp tails would stand up.
He could thus drive his pickup around the ends of the field to see if any of
his subsurface lines lacked pressure (either from a break or a constriction).

I am setting up to make this modification this winter. Right now I spend (or
should spend) lots of time walking my lines, listening and looking for
breaks or pinch offs from parallel roots growing above and below the line
that act like a hemostat. In the heat of summer I might (or should) walk
those lines three or four times a week. That's lots of miles! And for a
pretty so-so job of it.

This fella said he also mounted a male barbed insert to male garden hose
fitting on the end of the flexible tail so he could put on a garden hose end
cap for flushing the lines. In addition, he mounted "tire pressure" type
valves on those caps so he could walk the lines periodically to check each
line for exact pressure and make sure he didn't have a lesser problem
(partial pinch or break) that the flexible hose ends might not show.

Here's my question:

I have yet to hook up the flexible end, but I tried a few of the barb to
hose end adapters. They were expensive. I can't seem to get a good seal
between the T-Tape and the barb although I'm using good stainless steel wire
ties. I tried wrapping each barb with a some electrical tape to see if it
would provide a gasketing effect and it didn't. So far the best, fastest,
cheapest flush ends I've found is the same poly tubing I use to supply the
T-Tape from the submain. (I think it's called 520x600 or something like
that) A single fold, loosely clipped with a ring cut from 1" PVC pipe seals
well and slides off easily to flush the lines. What I'm wondering, is there
a quick and inexpensive means of monitoring pressure from that doubled piece
of poly hose? Without opening it?

Thanks for any advice you can give,
Mike

Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 20:36:00 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

At 10:23 PM 11/2/95 -0600, ScottGood@aol.com wrote:

>>Subj: Re: large scale dripper applications
>>Date: 95-11-02 23:13:00 EST
>>From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)
>
>>Because the above inquiry implies that Geoflow does not have extensive
>>experience with wastewater and SDI to set the public record right I would
>>like to bring the following list to the attention of any interested party.
>>

>Rodney,
>
>I can not speak for others, but I think that the message was geared towards
>gaining more info... I know I would be knocking on every door around to
>double and redouble the research effort for ALL information just for peace of
>mind in such a LARGE project.
>
>Is there such a thing as too much data....?????
>
>As a local company puts it "An Educated Consumer IS OUR BEST CUSTOMER!!!"
>
>Me....SMG
>
>Scott Good

AGREED - 100%

Thank you,

Rodney

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sun Nov 5 15:02 EST 1995
Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 08:54:14 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 339

Contents:
Re: large scale dripper applications (geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin))
Re: large scale dripper applications (pdspyke@gate.net)
Re: Hose end monitoring (al shields <shieldsa@andrews.edu>)

Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 11:41:36 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

At 4:29 PM 11/3/95 -0600, Merriott@aol.com wrote:
>I have had some experience with treated wastewater irrigation, although not
>with subsurface drippers. The biggest problem I have seen is that the
>evapotranspiration requirements of the crop irrigated do not always coincide
>with the amount of effluent generated, and the wastewater has to go
>somewhere. Consequently, sometimes people will overirrigate, overload the
>system, and pollute the groundwater. For this reason, the systems using the
>effluent should be sufficiently large to handle all the effluent generated
>and be able to use other water sources when sufficient effluent is not
>available.
>
>Treated wastewater is used extensively in Florida for irrigating turf areas
>and also in some citrus and other crops. Many citrus growers have been
>reluctant to use it because of the fear of consumer backlash. Everywhere it
>is used in turf, you see little signs that say "reclaimed water in use".
> There does not seem to be the same stigma in turf, at least from what I can
>tell. Using it on non food crops seems to less controversial. Everyone
>seems to think of it as recycling. It is less pleasant to think of drinking
>a glass of orange juice that was grown on treated wastewater. However most
>of the growers seem to have no problem with spreading sludge on their groves!
>

>Randall

You have indeed raised a major and not insignificant technical issue with
respect to wastewater re-use.
Wastewater disposal and wastewater reuse are different requirements and
often in conflict. Wastewater is generated every day and with a disposal
problem it either has to be used every day or stored. With wastewater reuse
the supplier often has the alternative to discharge the wastewater in the
conventional manner, and the consumer only has to take as much as he needs.
Often these needs complement one another but equally often there is a
conflict.
Wastewater varies enormously in quality. In very loose language one can
describe effluent as follows: primarily treated effluent as comes directly
from a septic tank, or secondary treated which is usually some aerobic
treatment after settling, or filtered and/or disinfected secondary treated
effluent, or tertiary treated effluent, or tertiary treated effluent with
de-nitrification.
According to the paper THE PRODUCTION OF CITRUS WITH RECLAIMED WATER by P.
Cross, J.L. Jackson and J. Chicone in the proceedings of Urban and
Agricultural Water Reuse W.E.F, June 1992, Orlando, Fl., the water used in
the citrus groves supplied from the Orlando area could be described as
filtered, chlorinated secondary treated effluent. This is based upon the
following data: maximum average BOD<30mg/l, TSS<5mg/l, nitrogen<30mg/l and
residual chlorine = 1mg/l. This paper also states that there are both
Alternative Application Sites owned and operated by the grower and Rapid
Infiltration Basins built on City of Orlando and Orange County land and
controlled and operated by the system operator. These take the surplus
water throughout the year. These sites are approved and monitored by the
Florida Dept. of Env. Reg.
The soil will function to absorb pathogens in the effluent and the plants
will absorb the nitrates.
I wish that I could claim to be expert in this field. I know only enough to
know that each application has to be considered according to the specific
circumstances. Soil scientists, agronomists and water treatment engineers
have to pool their skills to find the best compromise.
To assist our clients in this endeavor (and to educate ourselves), we
contracted with Dr. Carlile P.E. and Dr. Phene, two of the leading soil
scientists in the U.S.A. to write papers for us. The first paper aimed
primarily at the disposal issue is by Carlile and Sanjines SUBSURFACE
TRICKLE IRRIGATION SYSTEMS FOR ON-SITE WASTEWATER DISPOSAL AND REUSE. This
paper is available from the Small Flows Clearing House. The second paper
aimed primarily at reuse is by Phene and Ruskin POTENTIAL OF SUBSURFACE
DRIP IRRIGATION FOR MANAGEMENT OF NITRATE IN WASTEWATER, and was presented
at the Fifth Int. Microirrigation Congress, Orlando, Fl., April 1995. Both
of these papers contain graphs and drawings which will not transfer to
Trickle-l. If anyone wants copies please send an e-mail message to me
specifying which papers you require and with your snail-mail address.

Rodney.

Date: Sat, 4 Nov 1995 15:37:36 -0500
From: pdspyke@gate.net

Randall,

How's it going?

Any luck in the job department?

I think I'm going to run an ad for computers in the Jan issue of the
Citrus Industry Magazine. Would you be interested in setting them
up and installing them? If so, let's talk. It would strictly be for
growers.

How's Stetson coming?

See ya.

Pete

Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 01:42:28 -0500 (EST)
From: al shields <shieldsa@andrews.edu>
Subject: Re: Hose end monitoring

Find a catalog of Hardie Irrigation, or Ag Products for the proper
fittings. They are "screw-on" type of fittings that will not leak and
will mate the tape with the poly hose.

On Fri, 3 Nov 1995, Milligan/Roatcap wrote:

> Date: Fri, 3 Nov 1995 21:23:31 -0600
> From: Milligan/Roatcap <milligan@smartdocs.com>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
> Subject: Hose end monitoring
>
> A story, then a question.
>
> The story:
>
> A fellow I heard talking once said he used a relatively thin-walled
> T-Tape-like product on the ends of his subsurface lines. He used a foot or
> so length that rose from underground at about a 45 degree angle so when the
> line was adequately pressurized these otherwise limp tails would stand up.
> He could thus drive his pickup around the ends of the field to see if any of
> his subsurface lines lacked pressure (either from a break or a constriction).
>
> I am setting up to make this modification this winter. Right now I spend (or
> should spend) lots of time walking my lines, listening and looking for
> breaks or pinch offs from parallel roots growing above and below the line
> that act like a hemostat. In the heat of summer I might (or should) walk
> those lines three or four times a week. That's lots of miles! And for a
> pretty so-so job of it.
>
> This fella said he also mounted a male barbed insert to male garden hose
> fitting on the end of the flexible tail so he could put on a garden hose end
> cap for flushing the lines. In addition, he mounted "tire pressure" type
> valves on those caps so he could walk the lines periodically to check each
> line for exact pressure and make sure he didn't have a lesser problem
> (partial pinch or break) that the flexible hose ends might not show.
>
> Here's my question:
>
> I have yet to hook up the flexible end, but I tried a few of the barb to
> hose end adapters. They were expensive. I can't seem to get a good seal
> between the T-Tape and the barb although I'm using good stainless steel wire
> ties. I tried wrapping each barb with a some electrical tape to see if it
> would provide a gasketing effect and it didn't. So far the best, fastest,
> cheapest flush ends I've found is the same poly tubing I use to supply the
> T-Tape from the submain. (I think it's called 520x600 or something like
> that) A single fold, loosely clipped with a ring cut from 1" PVC pipe seals
> well and slides off easily to flush the lines. What I'm wondering, is there
> a quick and inexpensive means of monitoring pressure from that doubled piece
> of poly hose? Without opening it?
>
> Thanks for any advice you can give,
> Mike

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Nov 6 15:04 EST 1995
Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 08:55:10 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 340

Contents:
Re: Hose end monitoring (milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap))
Air pollution from PVC glue? (MEAD2513@aol.com)
testing return time (Mike Schulz <SCHULZM@salty.agvic.gov.au>)
(Mike Schulz <SCHULZM@salty.agvic.gov.au>)
Re: Air pollution from PVC glue? (LodiCraig@aol.com)

Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 13:49:42 -0800
From: milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap)

>Find a catalog of Hardie Irrigation, or Ag Products for the proper
>fittings. They are "screw-on" type of fittings that will not leak and
>will mate the tape with the poly hose.

I've tried something like you describe--a device that inserts into the tape
and a outer ring slides over the tape and is supposed to screw a half turn
of so to bring the union tight. If it's the same thing you refer to it is
designed for a lighter tape than the 15 mil tape I'm using and doesn't work.

--Mike

Date: Sun, 5 Nov 1995 18:48:03 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Air pollution from PVC glue?

Something we all must use when installing a drip system of any size is PVC
glue. Recently, concerns in California, specifically southern California
where air pollution is a major problem, the air pollution control board is
putting pressure on the PVC solvent/glue industry to reduce what is know as
VOC (volatile organic compounds). Deadlines have been placed on the PVC
solvent/glue industry such that by 1998, only 250 gms of VOC/liter of solvent
will be allowed. The solvents seem harmless, but apparently in a large
geographical basin such as Los Angles when several thousand individuals
working with PVC glue on a summer day with an atmospheric inversion layer,
air contamination problems could occur. If you are against air pollution
regulation, it probably is a moot point because the southern California
regulations will most likely mutate to national and possibly international
standards.

It is even possible that the U.S. EPA (Environmental Protection Agency) will
enforce even stricter standards. The southern California air pollution
control board is rather tolerant and understanding of the PVC/glue industry
and is willing to give them time to fix the potential problem. There is even
a rule that has been amended the help the PVC industry make the necessary
changes. Hence the 250 gms/liter standard is obtainable. The fact that local
government and industry can work cooperatively together toward a mutual goal
is great. If the standards were too excessive and the time frame ridiculous,
the PVC pipe industry and consequently the irrigation industry that feeds off
of it would suffer tremendously.

I have gathered some standards from the American Society for Testing and
Materials that entail step by step rule of thumb procedures when installing a
PVC pipe system. These rules might help reduce the amount of VOCs and make a
better pipe fusion.

1) Make a perpendicular cut to the pipe using a fine hack saw or saw
specifically for PVC pipe.
2) Remove burrs from cutting. I usually wear gloves and use the glove fingers
to glean the small particles clinging to the pipe after the cut. Bigger pipe
might take a pocket knife to smooth the circumference of the cutting edge.
3) Apply primer to the pipe. While primer is still wet, apply the cement*.
Wipe the excess glue off with a rag. If you use the finger wipe/on the pants
routine, not only will you ruin your pants, but the glue on the finger will
stay on your hand long enough to look like you have Leprosy.
4) After you've glued everything, wait one half to six hours for a complete
drying.
5) Allow 24 to 48 hours before pressurizing with water.

*We at the Water Management Research Laboratory usually turn the pipe a good
90 degrees in case small particles have etched a tiny channel down the pipe.

Does anybody have comments about air pollution relationships with PVC
solvents? Do you think the standards above are going too far? Are there
concerns in other countries? Any additions to the 1 through 5 step procedure?

Those of you that speak another language besides English, probably have
noticed that when surfing the Internet, the predominate language is English.
I have just learned that there is a program available that translates English
into your language when viewing Web pages. I don't know if it entails reading
e-mail from discussion lists like this however. The program is known as
"Accent Multilingual Viewer". If you have web access, you can download a free
copy (albeit a beta version) when you point your browser to:

http://www.accentsoft.com/viewacc/vieweng.htm

For more information, try:

http://www.accentsoft.com/internet.htm

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner/manager
USDA-ARS-WMRL

Date: Wed, 25 Oct 1995 16:48:05 +0000
From: Mike Schulz <SCHULZM@salty.agvic.gov.au>
Subject: testing return time

test sent on 25th Oct 16:45, eastern Australian timeSchulzzzzzzz............
Tatura
a campus of the Inst. of Sustainable Irrigated Agriculture
an institute of Agriculture Victoria
a devision of Agriculture Energy and Minerals
a department of the Government of Victoria
a state of Australia

Postal address

Date: Thu, 26 Oct 1995 09:52:24 +0000
From: Mike Schulz <SCHULZM@salty.agvic.gov.au>

Responding to Thomas M. Stein's address request

The full address of the publisher as listed in the publication is;

Director
Central Soil Salinity Research Institute
Karnal-132001
Haryana, India

It was printed by;
Rakesh Press
Naraina Industrial Area
Phase II
New Delhi 110028

good luck

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 01:20:51 -0500
From: LodiCraig@aol.com
Subject: Re: Air pollution from PVC glue?

While I do not consider myself an enviornmentalist, I think I share a strong
sense of conservationism with most of us involved in agriculture. Like the
L.A. Basin, the San Joaquin Valley of California suffers from inversions
layers and limited air mixing. As our populations grow, the air polution
problems being addressed by the regulatory agencies are becoming increasingly
acute.

The regulations we face often seem burdensome and ridiculous, but they are
not without direct and indirect benefits. The local low sulfur diesel
regulations have lead to longer diesel engine life and extended oil change
intervals in addition to cleaner air. Low VOC paint regulations have led to
better quality paints, and the development of good industrial grade water
reduced paints.

As inconsequential as the quantity of VOCs produced by gluing pipe may seem,
each industry must play their part. Frankly, we could probably make
significant reductions in VOC emissions with products and technics already at
hand.

In a message dated 95-11-05 18:52:35 EST, Richard Mead writes:

>3) Apply primer to the pipe. While primer is still wet, apply the cement*.
>Wipe the excess glue off with a rag.

How necessary is the primer step? We have used a glue I know as "Red Hot
White" glue that seems to not require primer. Moving to a primerless system
cuts VOC significantly right off the bat. It also saves a lot of labor and
hassle.

Does the U.S.D.A. or C.I.T. have any data on different types of gluing
systems? Maybe its time for some comparisons?

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Tue Nov 7 15:04 EST 1995
Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 08:55:43 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 341

Contents:
Re: Hose end monitoring ("W. Bryan Smith" <WSMTH@prism.clemson.edu>)
Re: Air pollution from PVC glue? (TFStrong@aol.com)
Re: Air pollution from PVC glue? (Merriott@aol.com)
Re: Air pollution from PVC glue? (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)

Date: Mon, 06 Nov 1995 12:08:55 -0500 (EST)
From: "W. Bryan Smith" <WSMTH@prism.clemson.edu>

Mike,
There are several different rings available for the same base fitting from
Hardie (and probably other manufacturers). I have had rings for both 10 mil
and 15 mil tape - they look substantially different. You are correct in that
the 10 mil rings will not allow use of a 15 mil product - try the 15 mil
and see what happens.

On the subject of pressure checking - I would use the 600 series tubing as
you are doing with possibly a piece of the tape coupled to it if you need
that visual indication. Place the small barb fitting in the side of the
600 tubing and attach about 6 inches of spaghetti, doubling the spaghetti
for a seal. Then, make up one gauge with the same spaghetti attached and
a barb - attach the barb to the kninked spaghetti on the 600 tubing,
remove the kink and read the pressure.

An alternative would be not to use spaghetti, but instead an insert fitting
for the 600 tubing - insert it, unkink the tubing and read the pressure.
Of course, most 600 tubing fittings are compression type - may have a
problem finding what you need. I know that Hardie has insert type fittings
for their .630 inch "Blue Stripe" tubing.

Bryan Smith
Area Water Quality Agent

All opinions my own.

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 16:17:00 -0500
From: TFStrong@aol.com

As a manufacturer using PVC components, for several years we have had to
purchase solvent cements with reduced VOC. I don't know of a single
manufacturer of solvent cement that has not been required to cut back on VOC
in Southern California including Christy and Weld-On.

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 17:15:35 -0500
From: Merriott@aol.com

I think anything they can do WITHIN REASON to reduce the amount of VOCs
generated by these solvents is a good idea. Not only for the sake of the
general public, but for the workers. Anyone who has breathed these fumes for
any length of time probably realizes they aren't good for you.

Randall

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 18:03:25 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

Sounds to me like another bureaucrat that has to prove that his or her salary
is worthwhile. I could think of a hundred things more important than pvc
solvent. About time to get rid of a lot of government people and let them
get useful jobs instead of hamstringing the rest of us, the producers.

Date: Mon, 6 Nov 1995 20:59:55 -0800
From: milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap)

So many good ideas, Bryan. Wish my brain worked that well. I like the barbed
guage idea, but I do have the makings for the spaghetti tube system so I'll
try it too. I'll have to look around for the spaghetti barb, though. I don't
recall ever seeing one of those. I'd hope it coupled fast and easy. Nopoint
in staying bent over longer than necessary.

Thanks,
Mike

Date: Tue, 07 Nov 1995 08:56:41 -0500 (EST)
From: "W. Bryan Smith" <WSMTH@prism.clemson.edu>

Mike,
You might try Ag Products in California for the spaghetti barbs. Wade Rain
in Georgia used to also carry them.

Bryan

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Nov 8 15:06 EST 1995
Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 08:58:14 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 342

Contents:
Hose end monitoring (sstyles@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu (Stuart W. Styles))
Re: Hose end monitoring (milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap))
Re: Air pollution from PVC glue? ("W. Bryan Smith" <WSMTH@prism.clemson.edu>)
Re: Hose end monitoring (Dripigate@aol.com)
crop stage/ET work (Spofford <engts@wntcdb.wntc.nrcs.usda.gov>)

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 12:00:10 -0800
From: sstyles@oboe.aix.calpoly.edu (Stuart W. Styles)

On 11/6, Bryan Smith wrote:
> On the subject of pressure checking - I would use the 600 series tubing as
>you are doing with possibly a piece of the tape coupled to it if you need
>that visual indication. Place the small barb fitting in the side of the
>600 tubing and attach about 6 inches of spaghetti, doubling the spaghetti
>for a seal. Then, make up one gauge with the same spaghetti attached and
>a barb - attach the barb to the kninked spaghetti on the 600 tubing,
>remove the kink and read the pressure.

We have used something similar. Instead of the spaghetti tubing, attach an
emitter (1/2 gph) to the piece of tubing. Use an emitter that has a barb
on the discharge for spaghetti tubing (Woodpecker is one that works). This
will give a visual (emitter dripping) plus an inexpensive location to check
pressures. The pressure gauge setup would made with a piece of spaghetti so
that a quick pressure measurement could be made in the field. I have seen
these used on microspray systems, but it should work on the subsurface
system as long as the end doesn't get too wet.

Date: Tue, 7 Nov 1995 20:07:46 -0800
From: milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap)

>On 11/6, Bryan Smith wrote:

>We have used something similar. Instead of the spaghetti tubing, attach an
>emitter (1/2 gph) to the piece of tubing. Use an emitter that has a barb
>on the discharge for spaghetti tubing (Woodpecker is one that works). This
>will give a visual (emitter dripping) plus an inexpensive location to check
>pressures. The pressure gauge setup would made with a piece of spaghetti so
>that a quick pressure measurement could be made in the field. I have seen
>these used on microspray systems, but it should work on the subsurface
>system as long as the end doesn't get too wet.

Man, this listserver is a wealth of information! I have exactly what I need
to do all of the above right now except I need to go out and buy that type
of emitter. That's easy enough. An extra benefit of this idea is that I used
to see an old E-2 (Hardie? Roberts?) type emitters sold at a local garden
store that could be shut off by turning the topknot 90 degrees. Buying
through a garden center my be a bit expensive, but I might be able to find
something comparable through an ag supply source.

Thanks,
Mike

Date: Wed, 08 Nov 1995 08:03:34 -0500 (EST)
From: "W. Bryan Smith" <WSMTH@prism.clemson.edu>

Here's the latest on clean air from the EPA. Apparently we are breathing
cleaner air today than anytime in the past few decades.

From: IN%"epa-press@unixmail.rtpnc.epa.gov" 6-NOV-1995 17:14:56.35
To: IN%"epa-press@unixmail.rtpnc.epa.gov" "Multiple recipients of list"
CC:
Subj: PR EPA REPORT SHOWS AMERICANS BREATHING HEALTHIER AIR

FOR RELEASE: MONDAY, NOVEMBER 6, 1995

EPA REPORT SHOWS AMERICANS BREATHING HEALTHIER AIR

Underscoring the success of efforts to protect public health from air
pollution, EPA today released its annual report on the air quality trends in
America's urban areas. The report shows reductions in all major air
pollutants
nationally.
The trends analysis shows the following improvements in air quality
during the 10-year period 1985-94:

Smog (ground-level ozone) levels dropped 12 percent.
Lead levels decreased 86 percent.
Sulfur dioxide levels fell 25 percent.
Carbon monoxide levels declined 28 percent.
Particulate (dirt, dust, soot) levels decreased 20 percent from
1988-1994 (the particulate standard was changed in 1987, so
long-term data
are not available).
Nitrogen dioxide levels fell nine percent.

"In the last five years, our efforts to protect public health have
resulted in 50 million more Americans who are now breathing far healthier
air," said EPA Administrator Carol Browner. "The Clinton Administration is
working with industry and state and local governments to find common-sense
ways to keep ensuring cleaner air for all Americans."

EPA today also released 1994 air quality data showing that
more than half of the 98 areas that did not meet health standards for smog
now do. What this means in human terms is that when the Clean Air Act
Amendments were passed in 1990, 140 million people were living in areas
violating the health-protection standard for smog, the nation's most
pervasive air pollutant.

Today, however, more than one third, or nearly 50 million, of those people
are now breathing air meeting the standard and free of dangerous smog levels.

The 1994 data also show that 28 of the 42 areas not meeting health
standards for carbon monoxide now have air quality data meeting the standard.

The air quality data also show that 1994 was the third consecutive year
in which no U.S. cities violated the nitrogen dioxide standard. Nitrogen
dioxide is not only a health danger in itself, but is also a prime ingredient
in the formation of both acid rain and smog.

(Copies can be obtained from and direct questions on the report to the
Emissions Monitoring and Analysis Division (MD-14), Office of Air Quality
Planning and Standards, U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, Research
Triangle
Park, N.C. 27711; phone 919-541-5558. A brochure on the report will also be
computer-accessible immediately through EPA's Home Page on the Internet at
http://www.epa.gov/docs/oar/oarhome.html, and on the electronic bulletin
board
system, the Technology Transfer Network(TTN) at 919-541-5742 (backup number
for
access problems is 919-541-5384) under "Recently Signed Rules" on the TTN's
Clean Air Act Amendments bulletin board.)

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 08:08:36 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com

Pressure indication in itself would not indicate partially "pinched
dripperline;" a flow measurement is actually required in order to assertain
deterioration of the dripperline.( Bernoulli's)
Good luck.
RWFF.

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 95 06:36:51 PST
From: Spofford <engts@wntcdb.wntc.nrcs.usda.gov>
Subject: crop stage/ET work

About a month ago I picked up on a news summary a note that USDA
researchers were working on a project to determine young plant uptake
and trying to come up with factors to account for the reduction of water
possible by irrigation based on stage of growth. Does anyone know where
and who is doing this work? Checking through my primary sources has led
nowhere and any leads would be appreciated.

Thanks for the help provided.

Tom

****************************
Tom L. Spofford, Irrigation Engineer
National Water and Climate Center
Natural Resources Conservation Service
101 SW Main St., Suite 1600
Portland, OR 97204-3224
Phone (503) 414-3075
FAX (503) 414-3101
e-mail a16tspofford@attmail.com
****************************

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu Nov 9 15:07 EST 1995
Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:58:47 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 343

Contents:
Re: crop stage/ET work (Tom Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>)
Re: Hose end monitoring (milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap))
Re: crop stage/ET work (milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap))
ET AND LAI (Ing.Agr. Claudio Garcia <cgarcia@inialb.org.uy>)
Re: Hose end monitoring (Dripigate@aol.com)

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 07:59:45 -0800 (PST)
From: Tom Hodges <thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu>
Subject: Re: crop stage/ET work

In crop growth simulation models, et is calculated from potential et
and simulated leaf area index. Thus simpotato uses a modified priestly-
taylor potential et and a beers law type light interception function
with simulated lai as the intercepting medium. Of course, lai is not
randomly distributed in the case of a young row crop so some models
use plant height, width, and plant spacing within and between rows to
determine the volume in which lai is distributed.

Tom
Tom Hodges, Cropping Systems Modeler
USDA-ARS email: thodges@beta.tricity.wsu.edu
Rt. 2, Box 2953-A voice: 509-786-9207
Prosser, WA 99350 USA Fax: 509-786-9370
== ## Rent this space ## ==
If this represents anything, it is only my opinion.

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 08:27:47 -0800
From: milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap)

>Pressure indication in itself would not indicate partially "pinched
>dripperline;" a flow measurement is actually required in order to assertain
>deterioration of the dripperline.( Bernoulli's)
>Good luck.
>RWFF.

Point taken. You are right, and I know that I should be sampling the flow
rates. On the other hand, unless the emmission ports of the T-Tape are
obstructed--and befuddling the whole calculation, then 10 psi is 10 psi. As
far as the emitters are concerned their needs are being met even if there is
some line pinching.

My next question would be: What is the world's laziest way to check flow
rates from emitters? (Could each line be monitored separately with an
inserted flowmeter for periodic checks??) I have been very delinquent in
this department and need to clean up my act in `96. My lines are about 2" to
3" deep (any deeper and I fear bigger problems with roots sqeezing off the
lines). When the seedlings are young, it's pretty easy to look up a nice,
clean row and see the uniformity of the wetted zone's spread. But towards
the end of the 2nd season and on through the 4th season, the branches of my
Christmas trees spread and prunings accumulate, obscuring and eventually
eliminating the view of the wetted zone. I was told I should be using a
small measuring cup under the line at selected points. My work load is
lightening so I'll try, but the prospect doesn't sound too pleasant. Ain't
as limber as I used to be.

Thanks,
Mike

Date: Wed, 8 Nov 1995 08:36:26 -0800
From: milligan@smartdocs.com (Milligan/Roatcap)

>About a month ago I picked up on a news summary a note that USDA
>researchers were working on a project to determine young plant uptake
>and trying to come up with factors to account for the reduction of water
>possible by irrigation based on stage of growth. Does anyone know where
>and who is doing this work? Checking through my primary sources has led
>nowhere and any leads would be appreciated.

Yeah, I'd like to hear about this, too. My first year seedlings are a real
puzzle when it comes to scheduling.

Mike

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 95 07:50:31 URU
From: Ing.Agr. Claudio Garcia <cgarcia@inialb.org.uy>
Subject: ET AND LAI

Five years ago we begun to work in ET and LAI, mainly in pear
and sweet onion at field. There are some many problems in our
case to determine ET AND LAI because of the climate. it is not
regular through the year. We are trying for this year to work
in a "rain out shelter" with some lysimeters. If someone are
interested in this information, please let me know.
---

Soil Water and Climate Department
NATIONAL RESEARCH INSTITUTE OF AGRICULTURE Ing.Agr. Claudio Garcia
ANDES 1365 P12 MONTEVIDEO URUGUAY cgarcia@inialb.org.uy
CP 11100 SOUTH AMERICA

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 08:55:55 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com

Confidence in good water husbandry will prevent clogging. i.e. water
chemistry coupled with good fertilizer grade materials applied in a manner
that cleans and applys at the same time. Money up front on great filtration
and accurate injection equip is huge asset. Design, rate of fill and
start/stop fill control and good vacuum/air release can keep the system
factory clean. External clogging i.e. root management and vacuum control are
prerquisites. I have systems I intalled in 79 still "dripping!!" like new. I
will be happy to assist where possible.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri Nov 10 15:22 EST 1995
Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 09:14:07 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 344

Contents:
Re: Hose end monitoring (FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm))
Re[2]: Hose end monitoring ("Jerry Neufeld" <jneufeld@fs.scs.unr.edu>)
Re: Scheduling ****for young crops*** (FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm))
Re: Longevity of systems (FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm))
interruption of computer ("TERRY SNYDER" <TERRYS@wrfs2.swrcb.ca.gov>)
Re ET and LAI (meissner.tony@wpo.pi.sa.gov.au)
Re: interruption of computer (bill robertson <robertsb@matrix.newpaltz.edu>)
Re: interruption of computer (Nhpjr@aol.com)
Re: interruption of computer (bill robertson <robertsb@matrix.newpaltz.edu>)
Re: Re[2]: Hose end monitoring (Dripigate@aol.com)
Re: Longevity of systems (Dripigate@aol.com)
Re: Scheduling ****for young crops*** ("M. Meron" <MERON@migal.co.il>)
ET and LAI (Ing.Agr. Claudio Garcia <cgarcia@inialb.org.uy>)

Date: 09 Nov 95 11:11:47 CST
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)

Mike:

A relatively easy way to check the whole system, not the **individual
emitters** you mentioned is to record **both system flow and
pressure** over a period of time. You should know from design what
the flow should be at a given pressure. So by charting the
performance periodically over a long period of time, you should be
able to monitor the performance and slowly alert you to potential
maintenance needs. Recrding of both pressures and flows helps to
determine if a leak or plugging is the problem and haow fast the
problem is degrading.

Freddie
*-------------------------------------------------------------------

Date: Thu, 09 Nov 95 09:32:55 PST
From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jneufeld@fs.scs.unr.edu>
Subject: Re[2]: Hose end monitoring

I thought the paragraph below was interesting because it sounds like
it comes from someone with a great deal of practical experience.
However, I don't know who you are! Could you please identify
yourself.

Jerry Neufeld

Date: 09 Nov 95 11:18:51 CST
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Re: Scheduling ****for young crops***

Mike:

It might be worthwhile to consider that in initial establishment
of crops, ET-based irrigation scheduling may not be valid. More
important is the ability of the scheduling to keep ***adequate***
water in the crop root zone which may be very small at that point in
time. There may also be the need to utilize evaporative cooling for
suppression of plant water stress during this critical period.
These areas of scheduling are more macromanagement issues while ET-
based sceduling is micromanagement. Both have their place in
irrigated crop production.

Freddie
*

Date: 09 Nov 95 11:27:06 CST
From: FLamm@oznet.ksu.edu (Freddie Lamm)
Subject: Re: Longevity of systems

As a scientist interested in longevity of microirrigation systems for
non-traditional low value crops (such as field corn), I would be
keenly interested in some of the specifics of your systems that have
been dripping since 1979. For example, type of emitters, flowrates,
operating pressures, water source and quality, depth. I am
particularly interested in longterm performance of drip tape
products. I hear anecdotal reports of a longterm tape system (15-20
years) I believe in Michigan. Does anyone know any particulars about
this or any other 15+ year tape systems??

Freddie
*

SOMEONE SENT THIS MESSAGE ON

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 11:38:01 PST
From: "TERRY SNYDER" <TERRYS@wrfs2.swrcb.ca.gov>
Subject: interruption of computer

Is there a way we can amend this system so that every message does
not interrupt my screen with a message that I have to click the ok button
to remove or am I the only one on the list with this problem. Please
let me know what are the options.
Terry Snyder
Division of Water Rights
P.O. Box 2000
Sacraemnto, CA 95812-2000
(916) 657-2061 Fax 657-1485
email terrys@wrfs2.swrcb.ca.gov

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 10:39:34 +0930
From: meissner.tony@wpo.pi.sa.gov.au
Subject: Re ET and LAI

Claudio,
have you thought of using sap flow units to measure ET (strictly transpiration).

Cheers
Tony M :-)
* Tony Meissner *
* Senior Research Scientist (Soils) *
* Primary Industries, South Australia *
* PO Box 411, Loxton SA, Australia 5333 *
* Tel. 085 95 9146 *
* Fax: 085 95 9199 *
* email meissner.tony@pi.sa.gov.au *

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 19:57:07 -0500 (EST)
From: bill robertson <robertsb@matrix.newpaltz.edu>
Subject: Re: interruption of computer

> Is there a way we can amend this system so that every message does
> not interrupt my screen with a message that I have to click the ok button
> to remove or am I the only one on the list with this problem. Please
> let me know what are the options.
> Terry Snyder
Terry - this is a function of your mail system - not this list. Check with
people there.
Bill Robertson robertsb@matrix.newpaltz.edu or vw2847@uscc1.usma.edu

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 20:07:55 -0500
From: Nhpjr@aol.com

I agree that if the system could be amended to more easily delete messages,
it would be good.

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 20:16:25 -0500 (EST)
From: bill robertson <robertsb@matrix.newpaltz.edu>

> I agree that if the system could be amended to more easily delete messages,
> it would be good.

THIS TOO IS YOUR (AOL) program.

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 22:22:44 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com
Subject: Re: Re[2]: Hose end monitoring

Dripigate is my call sign. I am Robin Franks, I work for Netafim Irrigation
Inc and am responsible for product applications with the end users throughout
the West. Background is extensive design, installation and management of
sprinkler and drip irrigation Worldwide since, 69 Telephone is 209 883 9507
and fax is 9508. Am happy to help where necessary to improve the real
application of drip.

Date: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 22:31:52 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com

Primarily I have used Netafim "inline" and "integral" dripperline in
permanent and portable applications. Tapes in long term applications at least
12 years of life is reasonable. My preference has been above ground Roll ourt
and pick up as the flexability of alternative crops and also leased ground
make these initially moore expensive "hard hose" moore attractive and
certainly more economical. They also are user friendly! Long term buried tape
is great in mono culture such as cane and asparagus. reusable pencils better,
works at better pressures ( 1atm + ) much easier to clean and to keep clean.
There are numbers of options, all seriously vunerable to management. Price
predication has lead to unbelievable failures on short term apparent savings.

Robin Franks. Dripigate.

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 08:40:21 GMT+0200
From: "M. Meron" <MERON@migal.co.il>

A very simple and straightforward way to factor potential to actual
ET in young crops is to determine light interception (LI) in the field
and multiplying ETp with LI fraction.
To measure LI use a Light-Bar (Linear PAR meter), which is quite
expensive, or simply measure the shade on the ground noon time, and
calculate the fraction of the shaded line segments from the overall row
width, and use this to factor ETp. This one is called the "Sunfleck"
method and it works well for crops like cotton, grondnuts and others. For
corn and similar leaf structure add 10% to the shade.

The theoretical background is explained in:

Meron, Fuchs, Levin, Halel and Feuer, 1990. Evaluation of
evapotranspiration by combining plant characteristics and
meteorological information. Acta Horticultuae 278 501-507.

Reprints could be sent on request.

MIGAL Galilee Technology Center Crop Ecology Laboratory
Kiryat Shmona PO Box 90 000 Rosh Pina 12 100 ISRAEL
Phone +972-6-953559 Fax: +972-6-944980 Email: MERON@migal.co.il

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 95 08:45:47 URU
From: Ing.Agr. Claudio Garcia <cgarcia@inialb.org.uy>

At this time we are used sap flow units to measure ET. Also we
have Licor equipment to measure at field and in the lab. We
trying to found the relationship beetwen ET, leaf potencial,
and Evaporation. We have a program to the farmer with
financial cooperation to the world bank that they can call to
the Experimental Station and obtain the data of Evaporation
daily o weekly.
---

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sat Nov 11 15:22 EST 1995
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 09:14:49 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 345

Contents:
Re: interruption of computer (<ABUZREIG@net2.eos.uoguelph.ca>)
Re: Scheduling ****for young crops*** (Keith Smettem <hydsol@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>)

Date: Fri, 10 Nov 1995 14:58:47 EDT
From: <ABUZREIG@net2.eos.uoguelph.ca>

> Date sent: Thu, 9 Nov 1995 13:54:28 -0600
> Send reply to: <trickle-l@unl.edu>
> From: "TERRY SNYDER" <TERRYS@wrfs2.swrcb.ca.gov>
> To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
> Subject: interruption of computer

> Is there a way we can amend this system so that every message does
> not interrupt my screen with a message that I have to click the ok button
> to remove or am I the only one on the list with this problem. Please
> let me know what are the options.
> Terry Snyder
> Division of Water Rights
> P.O. Box 2000
> Sacraemnto, CA 95812-2000
> (916) 657-2061 Fax 657-1485
> email terrys@wrfs2.swrcb.ca.gov

In your mail program, there should be a section to costumize or
to change "preferences". Just cancel the "notification for a new
mail" feature.
You can do that from window I beleive (control pannel-network)
Majed,

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 16:49:36 +0800 (WST)
From: Keith Smettem <hydsol@uniwa.uwa.edu.au>

Dear Migel, I was interested in your paper on ET estimation. Could you
send me a reprint?
Keith Smettem, Dept of Soil Science and Plant Nutrition, The University
of Western Australia, Nedlands, W.A. 6009 Australia. Thanking you in advance.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sun Nov 12 15:23 EST 1995
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 09:15:34 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 346

Contents:
Re: crop stage/ET work (Jed T Waddell <wadde002@maroon.tc.umn.edu>)

Date: Sat, 11 Nov 1995 14:16:45 -0600 (CST)
From: Jed T Waddell <wadde002@maroon.tc.umn.edu>

On Wed, 8 Nov 1995, Spofford wrote:

> About a month ago I picked up on a news summary a note that USDA
> researchers were working on a project to determine young plant uptake
> and trying to come up with factors to account for the reduction of water
> possible by irrigation based on stage of growth. Does anyone know where
> and who is doing this work? Checking through my primary sources has led
> nowhere and any leads would be appreciated.

Dear trickle-l recipients,

For the past two years I (University of Minnesota, Dept of
Soil,Water and Climate) have been intensively monitoring soil moisture
status (via neutron probe and tensiometers) along with North Dakota State
Univ. This project was designed to get a better understanding of ET to
develop a "Checkbook Method" for the farmer's use. By using a capacitance type
approach, we are calculating a water budget where:

Use = Rain + Irrig. - Deep Percolation +/- Storage,

with sprinkler and drip irrigated potato (Russett Burbank).

Some preliminary analysis with TDR indicated that by full cover
(LAI = 1.0) the ETc = ETp. However, at this time I cannot answer the
question about early water use but hopefully in a few months we should have
that water use from emergence until full cover.

Other work we have done was to quantify root morphology
differences between drip (surface and buried at 25 cm) and sprinkler.
Perhaps if someone could help me, we could get some root distribution
pictures I have taken onto the trickle-l home page. There were some very
big differences.

Love the trickle-l server,

Jed Waddell

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Nov 13 15:24 EST 1995
Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 09:16:06 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 347

Contents:
Re: interruption of computer (LodiCraig@aol.com)
Re: crop stage/ET work (LodiCraig@aol.com)
Re: crop stage/ET work (jp@unlinfo.unl.edu (jerome pier))

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 11:45:27 -0500
From: LodiCraig@aol.com

In a message dated 95-11-09 20:12:20 EST, Nhpjr@aol.com
writes:

>I agree that if the system could be amended to more easily delete messages,
>it would be good.

RE: Easy deletion. If you are using AOL 2.5 for Windows, groups of mail
can be deleted by clicking on the first of the group, then shift + click on
the last in the group causing the whole group of messages to be highlighed.
Then simply press the delete key and confirm. Holding down the Ctrl key
while clicking allows highlighting of additional non-consecutive entries for
wholesale deletion. (These are the same methods used in the file manager.)
This works for listings either from the Mail+Read Incoming Mail selection,
or the "Personal Filing Cabinet."

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 11:45:32 -0500
From: LodiCraig@aol.com

>About a month ago I picked up on a news summary a note that USDA
>researchers were working on a project to determine young plant uptake
>and trying to come up with factors to account for the reduction of water
>possible by irrigation based on stage of growth. Does anyone know where
>and who is doing this work? Checking through my primary sources has led
>nowhere and any leads would be appreciated.

As previously mentioned, using the Et times the crop correction factor
adjusted for growth stage by calculating leaf surface area is pretty much
state of the art for now.

Dr. Terry Prichard of University of California at Davis has done extensive
work with replicated irrigation trials in grapes evaluating for relationship
between water quantity applied, timing of application, and quality.
Apparently variety makes a significant differance ... different varieties in
different enviornments have different needs ... and it takes several years to
distill reliable data for general distribution.

There is a lot of room and a great need for more research into these issues,
especially in regions where water demand exceeds supply.

Sincerely,
Craig

Date: Sun, 12 Nov 1995 15:48:12 -0600 (CST)
From: jp@unlinfo.unl.edu (jerome pier)

Dear Jed,

Could you briefly describe what you found? I too did some
trench profile root distribution work under buried drip and
would be very interested to hear what you observed.

--
Sincerely,

Jerome Pier
Post-Doctoral Research Assistant
Biological Systems Engineering, Univ. Nebraska - Lincoln
jp@unl.edu

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Tue Nov 14 15:25 EST 1995
Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:16:38 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 348

Contents:
(OSTER@pop.ucr.edu (James D. Oster))
Re: (flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers))
Trickle turf irrigation (sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield))
Re: Air pollution from PVC glue? (CTaylor26@aol.com)

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 11:17:55 -0600
From: OSTER@pop.ucr.edu (James D. Oster)

I am writing papers for ASCE about a field project where we tested SDI,
LEPA, and improved furrow irrigation systems. Does anyone know about recent
published information about the longevity of SDI and LEPA systems as
installed and operated by farmers? I would also be willing to reference
anyone who has actual field experience; such a reference would be as a
'private communication' which would require the name of the source and maybe
the address as well.

Thanks in advance and best regards
Jim

Jim Oster
Extension Soil and Water Specialist
Dept. of Soil & Env. Sciences
University of California
Riverside CA 92521
Phone (909)787-5100
FAX (909) 787-5522
Admin. Assistant: Gwyn Dixon--(909) 787-5522 (Phone and FAX)

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 95 10:56:51 MST
From: flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)
Subject: Re:

>I am writing papers for ASCE about a field project where we tested SDI,
>LEPA, and improved furrow irrigation systems. Does anyone know about recent
>published information about the longevity of SDI and LEPA systems as
>installed and operated by farmers? I would also be willing to reference
>anyone who has actual field experience; such a reference would be as a
>'private communication' which would require the name of the source and maybe
>the address as well.
>
>Thanks in advance and best regards
>Jim
>
>Jim Oster
>Extension Soil and Water Specialist
>Dept. of Soil & Env. Sciences
>University of California
>Riverside CA 92521
>Phone (909)787-5100
>FAX (909) 787-5522
>Admin. Assistant: Gwyn Dixon--(909) 787-5522 (Phone and FAX)
>

> jim

I would also be interested in sources of info/applications

thanks

Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
Rt 19 box 111-D
Santa Fe NM

505 988 3096
Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
Rt.19 Box 111D
Santa Fe, NM 87505

"It could only be fresher if you grew it"

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 09:12:30 +1100 (EST)
From: sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield)
Subject: Trickle turf irrigation

SUB-SURFACE DRIP IRRIGATION - OPERATIONAL AND DESIGN EXPERIENCE

Hello all you experts out there. The following is a repeat of a message I
sent to the group some three weeks ago. I am sending it again in case some
people who may have some relevant comments did not see it. Many thanks to
Rodney Ruskin of Geoflow for all the help he has been since my original
enquiry.=20

" I am enquiring about any experiences out there anyone might have with
sub-surface dripper systems, in the field of application of treated effluent
[...]

products like Wasteflow and Rootguard offered by Geoflow inc. It would
appear that these products offer advantages in versatility in staging,

Date: Mon, 13 Nov 1995 22:16:52 -0500
From: CTaylor26@aol.com

Inregards to the PVC glues and primers, has there been any test on the long
terms effects. fumes or contact to skin and if so what type of results have
been found? I know I'm not the only one to have had primer run down into an
open wound. OUCH!

Sure Shot Irrigation
Carl Taylor

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Nov 15 15:25 EST 1995
Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 09:17:19 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 349

Contents:
Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page (kwaser@ag.Arizona.EDU (Katherine Waser))
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)

Date: Tue, 14 Nov 1995 15:28:56 -0700
From: kwaser@ag.Arizona.EDU (Katherine Waser)
Subject: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page

[Note: I am posting this message to those mailing lists which I regularly
scan for news items for the IALC Online Newsletter. My apologies to those
who receive the message more than once. --K. Waser]

Readers of this list who are interested in environmentally sensitive,
socio-ecoonomically sustainable development of arid and semi-arid lands are
invited to visit the evolving International Arid Lands Consortium World
Wide Web site, now in its second year of operation.

Contents include:

--New Schedule: IALC Online Newsletter--Now published monthly, with
announcements of jobs, conferences, workshops, RFPs, publications and news
of interest to arid lands researchers, natural resources managers and
policy makers.

--New Feature: Newsletter Updates--Late-breaking items with deadlines too
near to wait for the next regular newsletter are added to the current issue
immediately, with links both from the Newsletter main menu and from the
current issue's Contents page. Check back often!

--Hot Links: Frequently updated lists of arid lands Web sites and of Web
search tools.

--Directory of Arid Lands Researchers at IALC Member Institutions: Contact
information and summaries of current research projects.

--Information on the IALC and its member institutions: Includes abstracts
of all research projects funded by the IALC.

Web site maintained by:

John Bancroft (jbanc@ag.arizona.edu)
Katherine Waser (kwaser@ag.arizona.edu)

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 01:33:46 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page

What kind of crock of shit is this. I've been farming in the desert, my
family before me, for longer than you've been alive. What sustainable. Get
a real job.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu Nov 16 15:27 EST 1995
Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 09:17:45 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 350

Contents:
Salt and Icebergs (Patrick.Joyce@property.camcnty.gov.uk)
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page (Louis Baumhardt <r-baumhardt@tamu.edu>)
Re: SDI v. LEPA (TxGator@aol.com)
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page (ScottGood@aol.com)

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 18:06:09 +0000
From: Patrick.Joyce@property.camcnty.gov.uk
Subject: Salt and Icebergs

Can anyone with experience of iceberg lettuce help?

What is the safe maximum EC value for irrigation water at planting out
of module raised iceberg lettuce?

Background: Soils are reclaimed silty loams with reasonable drainage,
ECex of <1ds/m in the top metre, humid temperate climate with annual
rainfall of about 600mm. (summer maximum). Most crops are rainfed but
problems occur at planting (when it can be very dry), where water use
is planned to assist establishment.

Problem: The water available for irrigation has EC of 2-3.5 dS/m
depending on season. Will this damage the plants more than an
unirrigated crop? Most people I've spoken to disagree!

Grateful for any help

Patrick Joyce

Mail: Patrick.Joyce@property.camcnty.gov.uk
Snail: 16,Romsey Road,CAMBRIDGE UK CB3 OAP
Fax: 01223 317169

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 14:48:40 -0600
From: Louis Baumhardt <r-baumhardt@tamu.edu>

>>> <GrapeGrowr@aol.com> - 11/15/95 12:27 AM >>>
What kind of crock of shit is this. I've been farming in the desert,
my family before me, for longer than you've been alive. What
sustainable. Get a real job.

Well, you have been farming in the desert a little too long. I
believe the radiation has affected your mental ability.
This is a good site. Certainly undeserving of your response.

http://ag.arizona.edu/OALS/IALC/Home.html

--Buddy

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 23:30:18 -0500
From: TxGator@aol.com
Subject: Re: SDI v. LEPA

As district manager of Netafim Irrigation, I am pleased to announce that we
recently completed a field trial of cotton on SDI and LEPA in the South
Plains of Texas. A report should be completed this year by Joe Henggler of
Texas A&M.

In general, the systems were both ~110 acres and had the same amount of water
available. The results are very much in favor of using Netafim SDI. In
fact, the grower has already ordered more acres of SDI!

In the meantime, contact our agronomist, Dr. Jerome Pier by e-mail at
JPier@qnis.net for general information.

Jim

Date: Wed, 15 Nov 1995 23:42:19 -0500
From: ScottGood@aol.com

Attention GrapeGrowr@aol.com:

Apparently someone has been able to gain access to your AOL account and
password without your knowledge. I have enclosed a copy of a message (see
below) that was delivered to the trickle list located at trickle-l@unl.edu.
Durring your next session online at AOL.COM, you need to CHANGE YOUR PASSWORD
so that you will not risk of being charged for services that you did not
recieve and more importantly, the possible embarrassment of someone defiling
your good reputation by posting messages that could be attributed to YOU.

Scott M. Good
Scottgood@aol.com

In a message dated 95-11-15 01:34:58 EST, GrapeGrowr@aol.com wrote:

>Subj: Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page
>Date: 95-11-15 01:34:58 EST
>From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com
>Sender: trickle-l@unl.edu
>To: trickle-l@unl.edu (Multiple recipients of list)
>
>What kind of crock of shit is this. I've been farming in the desert, my
>family before me, for longer than you've been alive. What sustainable. Get
>a real job.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri Nov 17 18:26 EST 1995
Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 09:18:02 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 351

Contents:
Re: Salt and Icebergs (OSTER@pop.ucr.edu (James D. Oster))

Date: Thu, 16 Nov 1995 13:25:03 -0600
From: OSTER@pop.ucr.edu (James D. Oster)
Subject: Re: Salt and Icebergs

Lettuce is regularly irrigated with 1.3 dS/m water from the Colorado River.
Sprinklers are usually used for the germination irrigation. The germination
stage itself is usually the least sensitive stage of crop development and
the yound seedling stage the most sensitive. There is a possiblity than that
2 - 3 dS/m waters would germinate the crop, but that the seedlings would
grow slowly. The threshold for lettuce is 1.3 dS/m in the average saturation
extract (about 2.6 dS/m in the soil solution) of the root zone. The yield
reduction per unit increase in saturation extract salinity (in dS/m) is 13%.

What would be the estimate of the average rootzone salinity for a 2.5 dS/m
water? The answer depends on the leaching fraction. Assuming a leaching
fraction of 30 % the average rootzone salinity at the saturation extract
water content would be about 2.5 dS/m. The expect yield reduction would be
(2.5-1.3) x 13 % or about 16 %. References: 1. Table 3, page 18 of Ayers and
Westcot FAO pub. 29 Rev 1 'Water Quality for Agriculture' ISBN
92-5-102263-1. 1985; 2. Table 30, page 61 of Rhoades, Kandiah, and Mashali,
FAO pub 48, 'The Use of Saline Waters for Crop Production' ISBN
92-5-103237-8. 1992..

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sat Nov 18 15:26 EST 1995
Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 09:18:18 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 352

Contents:
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 19:18:10 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

Invent a way to farm in the desert without water and no soil, then you will
be worth your salary. We've been on drip for over 10 years, our farms have
been in production for over 80 years. Is that sustainable enough for you??
I'm tired of jerks like you and the other idiot making it difficult for real
farmers and business people to make a living. Get a non government job and
wake up!!!!! I don't want my damn taxes supporting anything that you blood
suckers do that make my life more difficult. I appreciate the knowledge that
can be found here regarding irrigation problems, but this consortium sounds
commie to me. Where's your damn money coming from? Me?

Date: Fri, 17 Nov 1995 19:02:29 -0800
From: wunn@teleport.com (Ric and Nancy Wunn)

unsubscribe trickle-l

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sun Nov 19 15:27 EST 1995
Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 09:18:38 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 353

Contents:
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consortium Home Page (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)

Date: Sat, 18 Nov 1995 21:06:50 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

No Scott, I said that. You know I did. Probably what will come out of this
consortium is the recomendation that we no longer farm in deserts because the
lizards were here first. Are you one of Those??? Let free enterprise figure
a way to farm economically in the deserts, like we have in the Coachella
Valley. Farms are still here, water is still here soils are still here and
the lizards too! Let the scientists HELP us accomplish that. Not make it
more difficult than it already is.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Nov 20 15:28 EST 1995
Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 09:20:02 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 354

Contents:
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti... (Hal4d@aol.com)
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti... (bartf@mail.cts.com (Bart Fisher))
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti... (flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers))
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti... (Hal4d@aol.com)
Intl. Arid Lands Consorti Flame war (MEAD2513@aol.com)
Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti Flame war (Tim1Utah@aol.com)
The Big Picture (Tim1Utah@aol.com)

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 12:33:16 -0500
From: Hal4d@aol.com
Subject: Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti...

On Saturday November 18, 1995 Mr. GrapeGrwr wrote:

> Let free enterprise figure a way to farm economically in the deserts<

My response to this is "Economically YES, Irresponsibly NO"

We all know what the results are when doctrines of free enterprise become
policies of destruction of the environment.

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 12:15:03 -0700
From: bartf@mail.cts.com (Bart Fisher)

>On Saturday November 18, 1995 Mr. Hal4d@aol.com wrote:
>
>We all know what the results are when doctrines of free enterprise become
>policies of destruction of the environment.

Let's please avoid turning this forum from one of an educational bent to
one bent on promoting wacko social policies, one way or the other. In
particular, please avoid uninformed statements such as the above which
appear to criticize domestic ag producers who are the ultimate protectors
of the land.

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 95 13:46:29 MST
From: flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)

>>On Saturday November 18, 1995 Mr. Hal4d@aol.com wrote:
>>
>>We all know what the results are when doctrines of free enterprise become
>>policies of destruction of the environment.
>
>Let's please avoid turning this forum from one of an educational bent to
>one bent on promoting wacko social policies, one way or the other. In
>particular, please avoid uninformed statements such as the above which
>appear to criticize domestic ag producers who are the ultimate protectors
>of the land.
>

>thanks for the insight to see that the people on the land are the ones who
are ultimatly responsible for its protection.It seem to me that it is the
responsibility of the academic world to come up with methodology to allow
the farmers to farm while protecting the land for future use
Martin

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 17:14:47 -0500
From: Hal4d@aol.com

On Sunday November 19, 1995 Mr. bartf@mail.cts.com (Bart Fisher) wrote:

> please avoid uninformed statements such as the above which
>appear to criticize domestic ag producers who are the ultimate protectors
>of the land.

If you READ the, so-called, UNINFORMED statement again you will notice that
I was not critizicing the ag. producers but their lobbyists and lawmakers.

Elena I. Halford
Hal4d@AOL.com

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 21:54:12 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti Flame war

Let's just drop this little flame war and move on. It would be in the best
interest for all to discuss details of drip irrigation and the problems and
challenges therein.

We should be appreciative that we have such a diverse crowd of individuals
out there on our list. Onward and upward....I don't like slapping any more
hands :)

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner/manager

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 22:37:37 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com
Subject: Re: Intl. Arid Lands Consorti Flame war

Good call, I was getting tired of that, and the leaf mulch thing too

Date: Sun, 19 Nov 1995 22:43:46 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com
Subject: The Big Picture

I will be out at the conserve 96 in Orlando, anyone else? I have to speak on
a panel disscusion(sp?). Also, I will be presenting a paper at the North
American Water and Environment Congress in June (Anaheim) It would be nice
to meet some of you.

Tim
Wilson
Irrigation
Association, Education Director

P.S. Has anyone online heard about the National Irrigation Initiative? I am
very excited about it and would love to talk more about it.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Tue Nov 21 15:33 EST 1995
Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 09:24:19 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 355

Contents:
rev (MEAD2513@aol.com)
rev trickle-l fiasco (MEAD2513@aol.com)
Re: The Big Picture (pdspyke@gate.net)
Re: The Big Picture (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 12:15:31 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: rev

rev trickle-l

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 14:21:10 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: rev trickle-l fiasco

For those of you who are wondering why I posted "rev trickle-l" to all 330 of
you............I SCREWED UP !!!

My apologies, BUT, this does give me the opportunity to announce that updated
Trickle-L archives are now available by sending the following command to
>listserv@unl.edu<

GET TRICKLE-L LOG95XX

where XX could be 09 for September or 10 for October etc.

DO NOT send the "get trickle-l log" command to >trickle-l@unl.edu<
as I did. It is a humiliating experience...one I have felt way too often by
trying to rush things along.

If you want to get a list of all the individuals who are subscribed to
Trickle-L, send:

REV TRICKLE-L

to the same listserver address >listserv@unl.edu<.

This was my original intention and looked what happened.

Embarrassingly,

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner/manager

p.s. Be prepared for large unedited files when you do send the >get trickle-l
logxx< command.

and.........If you have Web access, very recent archives can be obtained from
our homepage at:

HTTP://asset.arsusda.gov/wmrl/wmrl.html

Date: Mon, 20 Nov 1995 22:09:54 -0500
From: pdspyke@gate.net
Subject: Re: The Big Picture

>I will be out at the conserve 96 in Orlando, anyone else? I have to speak on
>a panel disscusion(sp?). Also, I will be presenting a paper at the North
>American Water and Environment Congress in June (Anaheim) It would be nice
>to meet some of you.
>

> Tim
>Wilson
> Irrigation
>Association, Education Director
>
>P.S. Has anyone online heard about the National Irrigation Initiative? I am
>very excited about it and would love to talk more about it.

Two questions: What are the dates of Conserve 96, and what is the National
Irrigation Initiative. If you would like to discuss it, I'm sure we all
would like
to hear more about both.

Thanks.

Pete Spyke

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 00:29:40 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

You don't want to meet me

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Nov 22 15:35 EST 1995
Date: Wed, 22 Nov 1995 09:27:49 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 356

Contents:
Re: The Big Picture (Tim1Utah@aol.com)
RE: The Big Picture (Dale Hardin <dhwrc@gate.net>)
Re: The Big Picture (geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin))

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 20:13:48 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com

Why not?

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 20:16:30 -0500
From: Dale Hardin <dhwrc@gate.net>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BAB84E.9A4234E0

Pete, please send me your mailing address. Peter Buss of Sentek will be =
in Florida the second week of December making presentations on the =
EnviroSCAN system. Would like to send you schedule. Dale

----------
>I will be out at the conserve 96 in Orlando, anyone else? I have to =
speak on
>a panel disscusion(sp?). Also, I will be presenting a paper at the =
North
>American Water and Environment Congress in June (Anaheim) It would be =
nice
>to meet some of you.
>=20
>

> =
Tim
>Wilson
> Irrigation
>Association, Education Director
>
>P.S. Has anyone online heard about the National Irrigation Initiative? =
I am
>very excited about it and would love to talk more about it.

Two questions: What are the dates of Conserve 96, and what is the =
National
Irrigation Initiative. If you would like to discuss it, I'm sure we all =

would like
to hear more about both.

Thanks.

Pete Spyke

------ =_NextPart_000_01BAB84E.9A4234E0
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------ =_NextPart_000_01BAB84E.9A4234E0--

Date: Tue, 21 Nov 1995 17:43:44 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

At 9:36 PM 11/19/95 -0600, Tim1Utah@aol.com wrote:
>I will be out at the conserve 96 in Orlando, anyone else? I have to speak on
>a panel disscusion(sp?). Also, I will be presenting a paper at the North
>American Water and Environment Congress in June (Anaheim) It would be nice
>to meet some of you.
>

> Tim
>Wilson
> Irrigation
>Association, Education Director
>
>P.S. Has anyone online heard about the National Irrigation Initiative? I am
>very excited about it and would love to talk more about it.

Tim,
Please tell us more both about the NII and the NAWEC in June.
I will not be at Conserve '96 but Karen Ferguson, my nominal 2IC (but
really my boss) will. I will aks her to look for you.

Rodney.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu Nov 23 15:36 EST 1995
Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 09:28:13 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 357

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 00:17:29 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com

The dates of Conserve 96 are jan, 4th throught the 7th. It is sponsored by
ASCE, AWRA, AWWA. You can call 212-705-7071 for more info.

The National Land and Water Irrigation Initiative is an effot to unite
private industry and government in an effort to deal with water and soil
conservation issues on a national level. It already has some impressive
representation, BOR, EPA, ARS, The Irrigation Assoc., CH2M Hill, and quite a
few others. For an info packet call Terry Lynott at 303-988-0520.

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 00:25:14 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com

The NII is an effert to unite the efforts of both government and private
industry to deal effectively with water and soil conservation, It is
organized nationally but it's goal is to deal with issues in conjuction with
local groups on a waterhed basis. For an info packet call Terry Lynott at
303-988-0520. Thanks for your interest!

A far as the NAWEC, ASCE is a major player in that. I can't tell you a lot
anout it myself unfortunatly, I'm sure that you have contacts with ASCE that
could give you more info. It will be in Anaheim June 22nd to the 28th.

Thanks for your interest!
Tim Wilson

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:33:30 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

I think the organization is a sham. Please stop sending me mail about it, I
wouldn't go if you paid me. If you want to reply to someone, click "reply"
instead of "reply to all". Don't you know that the "big picture you keep
talking about is just a government effort to impact our water rights! Wake
up.

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:36:21 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

That's alot of initials.
Wow. How about this one. DOA (dead on arrival), thats what anything should
be that involves the EPA and farming. Obviously, you are not a farmer. If
it wasn't for us farmers, you'd be out of a job. Please stop sending this
trash to us.

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 04:36:43 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

because I said so

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Fri Nov 24 15:36 EST 1995
Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 09:28:41 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 358

Contents:
R. Mead's homepage idea (MEAD2513@aol.com)
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (geoff@netcom.com (Geoffrey Leach))
Neutron probe calibration equations (Trevor Finch <rsne@mpx.com.au>)
RE: R. Mead's homepage idea (Goldberg <goldberg@eden.com>)
Re: The Big Picture (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (Dripigate@aol.com)

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 12:13:48 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: R. Mead's homepage idea

Coming back from a drip irrigation conference in Phoenix recently, I came
away thinking how the drip irrigation industry is really taking off. Since
this technology is really booming, current and updated information is
imperative. Since more and more individuals are using the Internet,
specifically the World Wide Web, information will be easier to obtain via
this medium. I plan to set up a homepage from a new service am subscribing to
(Cybergate). The homepage will be linked from the Water Management Research
Lab's homepage (and possibly others related to drip).The homepage will
feature the do's and don'ts of drip irrigation, what has a label, what
doesn't. Types of fertilizer and which fertilizers that can be mixed together
and those that can't will be just some bits of information I plan to place on
the homepage. I need input from everyone on Trickle-L whether they be
farmers, researchers, industry people etc. What would you want to see on my
homepage of essential drip irrigation information?? Can you provide to me
information related to drip irrigation that your company specializes in. It
is possible to link to your company/office from my homepage, but that's a
future idea. I'm not looking at this as a free advertising strategy for the
drip industry, but as objective information everyone can use. Being in
research myself, this should enhance the unbiased nature of the information.

Please respond to me personally or to the group as a whole. Is this a bad
idea or should it include even more than I have covered?

Looking forward to moving drip irrigation technology up the digital food
chain!

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner/manager
WMRL-ARS-USDA

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 12:41:13 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com

I DO click on "reply", not "reply to all". If you don't want to hear about
it, stop "replying" to me. The Irrigation Association is deeply involved in
these types of things to avoid radical measures like you are discussing. We
are there to represnt the Industry's concerns. Unlike people who just
complain, we are trying to do something. Why all the rudeness?

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 12:51:21 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com

There ARE farmers on the initiative. The Irrigation Association is there to
help balance out the opinions of other groups. We believe in a farmer's right
to water and to irrigate. Thats why we are represented on this Initiative.
You are being rude to the wrong group. send your comments to the EPA
directly. We are on your side. (We being the Irrigation Association).
However, every one deserves a chance to be heard and the best way to work out
conflicting views is to sit down with people with other concerns and work
things out so that nobody is stepped on. Be a positve influence for your
fellow farmers.

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 10:37:34 -0800 (PST)
From: geoff@netcom.com (Geoffrey Leach)
Subject: Re: R. Mead's homepage idea

A great idea. Do it!

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 95 09:19:33 +1100 (EST)
From: Trevor Finch <rsne@mpx.com.au>
Subject: Neutron probe calibration equations

I am compiling a 'database' of soil calibration equations for neutron gauges
from throughout the world. In order that equations can be used with other
gauges, we find that the best 'standard' is a count in a 200l water drum,
rather than in the wax shield. With the water count we can compare and use
equations from any neutron gauge - Troxler, CPN, any source.

The equations should be of the form...

VSW = 0.68 * (COUNT/WD) + 0.01

Where WD is the count in a drum of water (say 200 l), same tube type.

The recent paper by Evett S.R. and Steiner J.L. in Soil Science Society
Journal of America Journal, July-Aug 1995 that compared capacitance with
neutron probes was excellent, but they did not publish the water drum count
for their neutron probe, so I cannot use their equations.

Some examples are:

Ham, G J, "Water Consumption by Sugar Cane under Commercial Growing
Conditions", Fifth Afro-Asian Regional Conference, Proceedings, 'Planning
and Management of water for Agriculture in the Tropics', Townsville,
Australia, August 1985

VSW = 0.7447 * CNT/WD + 0.0133 (sandy clay loam)
VSW = 0.651 * CNT/WD + 0.9848 (loamy sand)

Poulton, D C, Dale, M O, Nagarajah, S 'Field Calibration of a Neutron
Moisture Meter for the estimation of Soil Water Content in Mallee Soil Types
of varying Texture', Conference on Agriculture Engineering, Adelaide,
Australia, August 1986

VSW = 0.737 * CNT/WD + 0.108 (all Mallee soils 0.0-0.2m)
VSW = 0.740 * CNT/WD + 0.125 (all Mallee soils 0.3-1.2m)

Some equations that I have seen used commercially based on work by DPI SA,
Loxton, Australia are

VSW = 0.72 * CNT/WD - 2.4 SoilType 1
VSW = 0.62 * CNT/WD - 3.5 SoilType 2
VSW = 1.10 * CNT/WD - 4.5 SoilType 3
VSW = 0.94 * CNT/WD - 15.7 SoilType 4

Chanasyk, DS and McKenzie, R H, 'Field Calibration of a Neutron Probe' Can
J Soil Sci 66: 173-176 (Feb 1986)
Recommends use of a single equation for all Canadian soils, as essentially
independant of 'texture'

VSW = 0.4343 * CR + 0.0019 fine textured soils
VSW = 0.4373 * CR + 0.0007 coarse textured soils

However, the count ratio is in terms of the 'in-shield' (presumeably wax)
count, so the actual value cannot be used, just the general conclusion.

Is a water drum count available for all that work done by Larry Schwankle ?

Does anybody have any data or references to data, either from gravimetric
soil sampling or ideally from the best test of all - water in a rain gauge
compared with gain in the soil profile ?

----
Trevor Finch
Research Services New England
23 Vincent St, Balmain NSW 2041 Australia
tel +61 (2) 810 3563
fax +62 (2) 818 3617

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 16:38:13 -0600
From: Goldberg <goldberg@eden.com>

------ =_NextPart_000_01BAB9C2.7C111C00

Richard: I think it's a fine idea. I'd like to see info on using drip =
technology in wastewater reuse, an idea which is also catching on. The =
civil engineers who dominate the wastewater industry don't really know =
what drip irrigation is, let alone what might be considered permitting =
criteria and good management practices for drip systems. I would =
certainly be willing to contribute from my own company's experience.

[...]
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------ =_NextPart_000_01BAB9C2.7C111C00--

Date: Thu, 23 Nov 1995 23:18:18 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

either way, stop copying me with all our mail. I'll beleive that this is a
farmers group when hell freezes over.

Date: Fri, 24 Nov 1995 01:15:40 -0500
From: Dripigate@aol.com

First Class, I will help where I can, the sooner we get better knowledge out
there the better. i will help all I can.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sat Nov 25 16:21 EST 1995
Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 10:13:38 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 359

Contents:
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (redling@gumbo.bae.lsu.edu (Robert Edling))

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 95 09:55:14 CST
From: redling@gumbo.bae.lsu.edu (Robert Edling)

Richard:
Sounds like answers to Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) to me which is common
to the Interent. I believe there are procedures suggested as to what steps
to go through with resprect to editing, etc. I am not sure of the source
URL but if you are intertested it would bew a place to start on how to procede.

Bob Edling

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Sun Nov 26 16:22 EST 1995
Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 10:13:57 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 360

Contents:
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (LodiCraig@aol.com)
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (Tim1Utah@aol.com)
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin))
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (Peter Leroy <peter@scgt.oz.au>)
Re: R. Mead's homepage idea (ozoneguy@redshift.com (Richard Olson))

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 14:11:46 -0500
From: LodiCraig@aol.com

> I plan to set up a homepage from a new service am subscribing to
(Cybergate).

Fantastic ... ambitious too.

>I need input from everyone on Trickle-L whether they be
farmers, researchers, industry people etc.

I'm a grape grower. I would hope that the homepage is oriented towards both
industry and non-industry persons. Always keep in mind that we are a diverse
group even within agriculture as one grapegrower may have a completely
different mindset, approach, and priorities than another.

Some of the most dramatic advances in resource conservation related to
farming (water, fertilizer, land, runoff control, and waste water re-use) are
made possible through drip irrigation. The Web pages provide a place where
we can 'show off' to the rest of the world. I have already seen the
Trickle-L group referanced in other dialogues. This group is small, but the
impact is dramatic. (I hope any negative discussions have not been 'picked
up' as the general mindset of farmers.)

>What would you want to see on my homepage of essential drip irrigation
information??

I would like to see full advantage of the Hypertext logic allowing each page
to handle a specific subject. Until more people have full graphics
implementation, I think it makes sense to make most of the pictures an option
to click on, not just come up 'un-invited'. I prefer low resolution graphics
on the introductory pages ... that comes up fast.

I like your idea of focusing on the Do's and Don'ts of implementing drip.
You might want to make that the second layer down from the homepage leaving
yourself open to introduce and gauge popularity of other concepts on your
initial homepage.

By the way, I do consider your efforts to be a good and appropriate use of my
tax dollars, Richard.

Craig

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 17:47:37 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com

All my farms were converted to drip over 15 years age. How about you?

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 18:22:20 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com

Have many of you heard of the Irrigation Association's Drip/Micro
Certification?

It is a national certification for agricultural Drip/Micro designers. In
addition we have a 2 day Drip/Micro design class that is very well put
together. The exam and certification process is a multi-level procedure. On
the average it takes from 1 to three years to complete and requires actual
work experience for completion.

If you would like more information please call me (Tim Wilson) at
801-964-6670 or the I.A. main office at 703-573-3551 and speak to Daria. The
I.A. is very committed to Industry education. The Drip/Micro class is just
one of many that we offer to the AG as well as the landscape market. We are
set up to offer these classes anywhere in the US and Canada at anytime of the
year. If you would like to attend a class, or your organization would like to
sponsor a class, please let me know.

Date: Sat, 25 Nov 1995 17:37:15 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

At 11:06 AM 11/23/95 -0600, MEAD2513@aol.com wrote:
I plan to set up a homepage from a new service am subscribing to
>(Cybergate). The homepage will be linked from the Water Management Research
>Lab's homepage (and possibly others related to drip).
>
>Please respond to me personally or to the group as a whole. Is this a bad
>idea or should it include even more than I have covered?

Great idea. We are behind you.

Rodney

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 17:53:00 +1000
From: Peter Leroy <peter@scgt.oz.au>

At 07:32 PM 25/11/95 -0600, you wrote:
>At 11:06 AM 11/23/95 -0600, MEAD2513@aol.com wrote:
> I plan to set up a homepage from a new service am subscribing to
>>(Cybergate). The homepage will be linked from the Water Management Research
>>Lab's homepage (and possibly others related to drip).
>>
>>Please respond to me personally or to the group as a whole. Is this a bad
>>idea or should it include even more than I have covered?

Yup!.. agood idea.. perhpas we can provide a link on our pages here in Australia

:peter

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 00:17:28 -0700
From: ozoneguy@redshift.com (Richard Olson)

Great idea Richard!!

I think that a FAQ sheet would be a very good starting point; then the use
of articles by a variety of sources on practices and results.

Richard Olson * Environmental Health Research
225 Crossroads Blvd., No. 260 * Carmel, CA 93923
408.624.3763 ph * 408.624.6122 fx
ozoneguy@enviro.org - email
*Specialist in Ozone* Water & Air Purification

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Mon Nov 27 16:22 EST 1995
Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 10:14:21 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 361

Contents:
Richard Olson's comments (MEAD2513@aol.com)
Hello out there, (sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield))
general dripper and poly pipe questions (sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield))
Can cryogenic metal hardening be used in drip industry (MEAD2513@aol.com)
Re: Can cryogenic metal hardening be used in drip industry (LodiCraig@aol.com)
Re: Hello out there, (GrapeGrowr@aol.com)

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 12:14:29 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Richard Olson's comments

Richard Olson wrote: >I think that a FAQ sheet would be a very good starting
point; then the use of articles by a variety of sources on practices and
results<

We already have a FAQ area within the Trickle-L area on the WMRL's homepage.
BUT, I plan to extend even that idea on my homepage too. Thanks Richard O.
and everyone else who have given the Web page idea support. I intend to give
everyone credit for those who contribute to the homepage. It will take months
for me to build this thing, but I think it will be a valuable source of
information for beginners, urban users, growers and researchers. Please keep
the comments coming for those who haven't contributed.

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner/manager

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:30:03 +1100 (EST)
From: sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield)
Subject: Hello out there,

My name is Bernie Chriscoll. I am using a collegue of mines E-mail address
to enquire as to the following items. I, along with Dale, will do the
courtesy normal introduction in a few days.

QUESTIONS:

-What is the maximum emission rate for a single dripline emitter(l/h),
surface in particular,?

-What is the cheapest way of fitting poly laterals (25 or 30 mm)to PVC manifolds
(for a system incorporating underground manifolds 300 COVER and above ground
laterals)
i.e.TAPPING SADDLES OR PVC TEES WITH RISERS

-What is the maximum recommended manifold diameter (mm) for a
dripper/sprinkler irrigation system incorporating PVC manifolds and - 25 mm
laterals
- 32 mm laterals

-For a 4x2 m spacing treelot (soil infiltration rate throughout treelot =12
mm/hr) what is the maximum application rate that can be practically achieved
using a dripper irrigation system?

-For a 4x2 m tree grid is a 6x4 m triangular spacing (sprinkler dia=12 m)O.K?

-What type (i.e.Class OR Type) of polyethylene pipe should be used for laterals
supplying sprinklers operating in the range 150 - 350 kpa (1.5 - 3.5 Bar)?
OR for the different types of polyethylene laterals available what are the
maximum allowable working pressures ?
BERNIE CHRISCOLL
Dale Sinfield
"Tasmanians. Naturally Different"

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 08:31:53 +1100 (EST)
From: sinfield@deakin.edu.au (Dale Sinfield)
Subject: general dripper and poly pipe questions

Hello out there,

My name is Bernie Chriscoll. I am using a collegue of mines E-mail address
to enquire as to the following items. I, along with Dale, will do the
courtesy normal introduction in a few days.

QUESTIONS:
-What type (i.e.Class OR Type) of polyethylene pipe should be used for laterals
supplying sprinklers operating in the range 150 - 350 kpa (1.5 - 3.5 Bar)?
OR for the different types of polyethylene laterals available what are the
maximum allowable working pressures ?

-What is the cheapest way of fitting poly laterals (25 or 30 mm)to PVC manifolds
(for a system incorporating underground manifolds 300 COVER and above ground
laterals)
i.e.TAPPING SADDLES OR PVC TEES WITH RISERS

-What is the maximum recommended manifold diameter (mm) for a sprinkler

Date: Sun, 26 Nov 1995 22:51:50 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Can cryogenic metal hardening be used in drip industry

Once again, thanks for all the positive comments on my future homepage of
general drip irrigation information !! I'll be posting frequent updates on
Trickle-L to let you know what will be on the page.....I'll be needing your
input. Please, if anyone has text information that you could e-mail me
concerning generic drip information, please send it to me. If you don't have
it on disk/computer, send it to me snail mail*. You will be referenced and
linked one the page if desired. This could be an asset to your organization
or company.
A few weeks ago I promised to discuss other issues semi-related to drip
irrigation. One of those issues was a process called "Cryogenic hardening" of
metal. From what I understand, this process involves dipping a metal object
into a solution of liquid Nitrogen at about 200 degrees below 0 F. The
temperature is lowered from room temperature slowly to the very cold point.
The metal's atoms are then arranged to a more dense alignment where upon
thawing the atoms are more evenly spaced. Since the atoms are more uniformly
woven throughout the metal, this cryogenic process strengthens the metal by
up to 400%!

My question: Could cryogenic hardening be used in strengthening metallic
fittings in the drip industry such as:

-backflow prevention valves?
-check valves?
-gate valves?
-pump casing?
-other?

My emphasis is not to make the metal stronger per se, but to use less metal,
dropping the price of the fitting. To my knowledge, the cryogenic process is
reasonably inexpensive, especially when done in mass quantities. However, I
have no idea as to how cost effective this process is when entered into the
whole manufacturing scheme. I just wanted to run it by anyone out there who
has metal fitting experience, be it selling or manufacturing.

Any comments out there in hardware/drip industry land?

Next week: Chlorine use in drip irrigation (what's legal, what's not, how
much)

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner/manager

*
My home address is:
2513 Gibson
Clovis,California
93611-5466

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 00:29:26 -0500
From: LodiCraig@aol.com

>My question: Could cryogenic hardening be used in strengthening metallic
>fittings in the drip industry such as:
>
>-backflow prevention valves?
>-check valves?
>-gate valves?
>-pump casing?
>-other?

On first blush, this subject area seems to be a bit of a reach for our topic
area ...
but I'll bite:

What is the impact of cryogenic hardening on impact resistance?.
Traditionally the two are inversely related: The harder the material, the
more likely it will shatter.

Pump Castings: How about hardening of bowls and impellers of the the pumps
we use. Abrasive wear (due to sand) on those components tends to be the most
expensive wear item in our systems.

Of course hardening the ripper shanks and guide tubes for installing SDI
could also be worthwhile ... especially since this process might harden
interior surfaces of the guide tubes otherwise inacessible to traditional
methods of 'hardfacing.'

>From Craig ... a grape grower from Lodi, California, where our approach to
issues tend to be a bit more urbane and sensitive to the concerns of the rest
of the world. ;-)

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 01:25:00 -0500
From: GrapeGrowr@aol.com
Subject: Re: Hello out there,

1)Depends on length of run. 2) Saddles on larger pipe (2 1/2 " and larger),
tees on smaller pipes. This is only my experience. This all include cost of
labor. The other questions need engineering.

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Tue Nov 28 16:22 EST 1995
Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 10:14:50 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 362

Contents:
Drip information (GroAire@aol.com)
Re: Drip information (MEAD2513@aol.com)

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 20:45:39 -0500
From: GroAire@aol.com
Subject: Drip information

Please send me your Snail mail address as I have a ton of informatiion on
drip as I have been involved in the industry for 15 years. It might be
helpful if you could detail which areas you are particularly interested in.
Dave Enyeart

Date: Mon, 27 Nov 1995 19:32:56 -0800
From: geoflowr@halcyon.com (Rodney Ruskin)

At 12:44 AM 11/26/95 -0600, Peter Leroy wrote:

>Yup!.. a good idea.. perhpas we can provide a link on our pages here in
>Australia
>
>:peter

Hi Peter,
Who are you (our pages) and what is your WWW address?

Rodney.

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 16:33:17 +1000
From: Peter Leroy <peter@scgt.oz.au>

Hi Rodney,

>Who are you (our pages) and what is your WWW address?

Sorry... I tend to forget minor things such as url's at times :]

http://www.scgt.oz.au

should just about find us. Under the Turfgrass/Hort button ..you should
find some hyperlinks and things where we could add a few pages off our
server for folks on this side of the big pond ..

only a thought

:peter

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 11:01:06 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: Re: Drip information

Dave Enyeart requested >Please send me your Snail mail address as I have a
ton of informatiion on drip as I have been involved in the industry for 15
years. It might be helpful if you could detail which areas you are
particularly interested in.<..

Thanks for your input Dave! I am interested in generic drip irrigation such
as the wide range of sizes drip tape comes in, fertilizers used to inject
into a system, fertilizers that don't mix well with each other, basic
chemigation info., basic subsurface drip irrigation management info., horror
stories that we all can learn from, basic scheduling tools etc., using drip
for wastewater disposal and links ANYONE that is interested in having a link
(a sort of homebase drip reference guide). Like I said before, this page will
take months for me to build since I'm doing it on the side and as I build it
(with the help from individuals like yourself) we all can contribute what
really needs to be on there for the biggest impact.

Once again, my snail mail address is:

R. Mead
2513 Gibson
Clovis, CA.
93611-5466

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Wed Nov 29 16:42 EST 1995
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 10:34:12 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 363

Contents:
Re: Drip information (CTaylor26@aol.com)
(olmstead@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us (Karl Olmstead, K&F Engineering))
Re: Richard Olson's comments (benasher@bgumail.bgu.ac.il)

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 15:17:48 -0500
From: CTaylor26@aol.com

I too would like the the drip info. Here is my business address.

Sure Shot Irrigation
18666 Redmond Wy.
# H-2058
Redmond, WA. 98052

Thanks, Carl

Date: Tue, 28 Nov 1995 20:35:51 -0700
From: olmstead@owens.ridgecrest.ca.us (Karl Olmstead, K&F Engineering)

olmstead@ridgecrest.ca.us

Karl Olmstead
K&F Engineering
Ridgecrest, CA 93555

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 11:01:24 -0500
From: benasher@bgumail.bgu.ac.il
Subject: Re: Richard Olson's comments

Dear Richard
It's about time for me to use the excellent tool you have deviced for us.
So here is my first message to the participants. Take care. Jiftah
Ben-Asher.

Dear Colleagues and Friends
I have recently received a request from an Israeli (Big, Israeli standards
) Avocado grower asking me about subsurface drip for Avocado. I have no
information about it but would like to inquire who has some experience in
the subject. The information may be direct (to Avocado ) or indirect (
Related orchards).
Every piece of information is welcomed but to make it easy for the
volunteers here are some questions to be answered:
1.Is there any unique problems of emitter clogging by the roots of the Avocado.
2.What kind of pipe is preferred.
Is it Tape or hard Polyethylene with hardness degree from 2.5-4.
3 What is the optimal spacing with respect to the trunk.
5. How many laterals per tree
6. What kind of emitter. Discharge etc.
7. What is the optimal depth.
8. May be surface irrigation is preferred.
Thanks for you help.
Jiftah Ben-Asher

End of Digest
************************

From root@crcnis1.unl.edu Thu Nov 30 16:44 EST 1995
Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 10:36:28 -0600
To: Multiple recipients of list <trickle-l@unl.edu>
Subject: TRICKLE-L digest 364

Contents:
Re: Richard Olson's comments (flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers))
Re[2]: Drip information ("Jerry Neufeld" <jneufeld@fs.scs.unr.edu>)
Trickle design: manuals, emitter coefficients, constants (rolld@cadvision.com)
Re: Trickle design: manuals, emitter coefficients, constants (Tim1Utah@aol.com)
New member response (MEAD2513@aol.com)
Re: Drip information (<ABUZREIG@net2.eos.uoguelph.ca>)
Re: New member response (flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers))

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 10:32:22 MST
From: flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)

>Dear Richard

re subsurface drip

there is a grower here in nm that has quite a bit of experience with this
and i will get his address for you ,also an aside: Mark Koch of Koch
industries in Colorado has bee using his subsurfasce drip to heat the soil;
after irrigation with excellent success you can reach him @ 303 644 3763 fax
-3045

Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
flowers@rt66.com

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 14:42:05 PST
From: "Jerry Neufeld" <jneufeld@fs.scs.unr.edu>
Subject: Re[2]: Drip information

Dave,

Could I also bother you for a copy of the generic drip information
materials?

Thanks,

Jerry Neufeld
113 Carson Rd.
Battle Mountain, NV 89820

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 95 20:53:25 PST
From: rolld@cadvision.com
Subject: Trickle design: manuals, emitter coefficients, constants

I am looking for a state of the art trickle design manual or text. If
someone can help me out it, the assistance would be greatly appreciated.
Looking for the current "best" source, if one is available. Also is there a
good source of information all in one place showing the emitter coefficients
and constants for all the different makes and types of emitters out there?
This would be a great help in design work, rather than tracking down these
numbers from individual manufacturers or calculating these from
individual pressure vs. discharge curves.

Thanks all.

Date: Wed, 29 Nov 1995 22:38:23 -0500
From: Tim1Utah@aol.com

Dr. Burt at Cal Poly, ITRC has the best manual I have seen in
regards to Drip/Micro-spray 805-756-2434. As far as the emitter, data you
could check with C.I.T. at Fresno State, they do irrigation product testing
and evaluation 209-278-2066, in addition CIT also has a compilation of
articles called Micro Irrigation: Method and Materials Update. Also, Hardie
has an excellent AG drip/Micro manual as well, 714-831-6000.

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 01:00:16 -0500
From: MEAD2513@aol.com
Subject: New member response

The following is a survey response* from a new Trickle-L subscriber whose
name was not left at the end of posting. This reminds me, if you post
anything to Trickle-L (or me personally), please "sign" your name at the
bottom. It makes responses to your posting more efficient. Thanks !!

Richard Mead
Trickle-L owner/manager

*Any new subscribers who have NOT received a "Welcome to Trickle-L survey"
form, please let me know at my email address.
I'm going to kill two birds with one stone as your requests were very
similar.
1. My affiliation with subsurface drip began 15 years ago when my father and
I began exploring ways to forcefully inject air in the soil to benefit root
growth. I have tested all the popular systems on the market and have settled
on one as being more efficient at delivering air and water independently of
each other. I won't mention the manufacturer on-line so I won't influence
anyone's buying decisions. Besides, I'm actively marketing aeration and
irrigation systems. I will
either charge an engineering fee for designing a system for a particular
piece of ground or I will drop the engineering fee if they purchase the
hardware from my company- GRO-AIRE IRRIGATION SYSTEMS INC. There is no one
aerating soils the way that my father and I have been. My father was an
irrigation design engineer and soils - crop specialist that traveled
throughout Iran, Iraq, Syria, Saudi Arabia Jordan, Israel, England, Russia,
Central & South America, and everyone of the continental United States.
Wherever he traveled he seen problems of aeration of soils when he was
looking for irrigation problems. By correcting the aeration
problems either chemically or mechanically( chiseling or harrowing) he often
times would correct the water infiltration problems. Out of those travels we
have progressed to marketing subaeration within the last two years after 13
years of University and private beta research performed by private growers
and Extension Labs. We have been featured in several trade publications, the
most recent being the "FARM SHOW" vol.19, No. 6, 1995. The three marketing
areas that we are attacking are Turf, Horticultural (greenhouses), &
agricultural. The oldest turf system that I designed is now in its 11th year.
I am currently about to kick off
construction on a 1 million square foot greenhouse designed to grow organic
vegetables. The first year of crop is already contracted for sale. In the
agricultural sector I am currently involved in discussions with farmers about
purchasing subsurface systems for either air or water or both in Panama,
Costa Rica, Puerto Rico, Michigan, Missouri, Wisconsin, Ohio, Iowa, Illinois,
Nebraska, and Colorado.

2. I am involved in designing systems for everything from Ginseng to apples
to potatoes to flowers.

3.Although I have general guidelines that I follow, I believe in designing a
system for each piece of ground on a field by field basis. I take into
account soil types and what are the percentages for the different soil types
in any given field. This helps establish application rates. I also take into
account elevation changes in the field. Sometimes this will require different
zones as opposed to the field being flat. I like to test and examine the
water sources very carefully. I have an analytical lab test the water for 32
compounds and elements that will effect how I Chemically treat the water and
filter it. Ditch water requires more steps than well water in the filtration
process. If the water is high calcium carbonates or iron then I may recommend
a treatment that I will get into later on. Cultural or farming practices need
to be accounted for. With subsurface systems that are a
permanent fixture then the operator need to think about a minimum till or a
no-till program in certain situations. Cropping plans for the immediate as
well as the long
range future need to be discussed. Power sources have to be examined to
calculate the economics of the system and the capital investment.

4. One of the most difficult problems I have encountered with drip is how to
chemically treat water and still retain an organic certification. In waters
that have Iron bacteria problems, a grower would normally treat with
sulphuric acid in the well, however organic growers cannot do that. In
waters that are high in calcium carbonates the emitters are in danger of
plugging up. Once again an acid is the solution chemically; again however the
certified organic grower cannot use acid. So, about three years ago I was
talking to a Norwegian businessman and he suggested ceramic magnets. My
business partner is a patent attorney with a degree in petrochemical
engineering. He scoffed at the suggestion but the Norwegian seemed so adamant
that I decided to try it anyway. The first application was in a commercial
greenhouse where iron bacteria was a problem. The filtration screens had
collapsed due to buildup and the distribution system had also plugged up when
he tried to run without a filter. A new distribution system was laid in and
new
filtration with the addition of magnets. That was three years ago and the
system is still running. The second trial was also in a greenhouse where
calcium carbonates were turning the evaporative pads white and decreasing
their efficiency. After installing the magnets it not only removed the
Carbonates that had built up, but kept them a nice dark brown - just like the
day the pads were first installed. The owner could not believe his eyes so he
removed the magnets to assure himself there had not been any other outside
force at work. Very quickly the pads began
to turn white again, so he reinstalled the magnets and once again their
efficiency was restored. It was quite noticeable as the length of runs in
this tomato house are 150' long and will suffer a severe temperature increase
if the pads are not cooling and restricting air movement down the rows. The
third trial was by a ASCS agronomist who has one of three computers in the
U.S. that is responsible for the soils maps that are published for
individual counties. Nice piece of hardware with 15 Gigs. Oh well - that's a
different tangent. Galvanized fittings don't typically last
more than 30 days with his water. We installed the magnets 9 months ago and
the fittings were taken apart for inspection last week and they still look
new. Years ago I efficiency tested a group of wells and pumps for a farmer in
southern Nebraska. Recently he contacted me as he wishes to have me design
drip and aeration systems for the corners. During the discussions,magnets
were mentioned and he said he had been using them for several years on those
same center pivots I had tested. I went back to my photo record and sure
enough there was a picture
of me standing by a pivot with a group of magnets not 15 feet away and were
being totally ignored by me. He had noted about a 10% increase in his crops
as a result of
using the magnets.
Phew! enough of that.

5. Aeration helps to lessen the requirements for fertigation substantially.
As our air is 78% nitrogen and roughly 20 % oxygen, these are both elements
that are in high demand in the soil microflora. Unfortunately in mother
nature, she allows a build up of carbon dioxide with is a by product of
aerobic bacterial action. As the levels increase, root growth is inhibited
and damaged if the levels are to remain at high levels for any long period of
time. With forced infusion of air into the root zone we are able to eliminate
this occurrence thus allowing for greater root
proliferation. I t has been noted at the University of Nebraska that the
trace elements in the flag leaf showed increased levels in aerated plots in
the areas of iron, sulphur, manganese,& zinc. This was due to an increase in
the bacterial action in the soil making these and several more elements more
readily available to the root system. There are also strains of nitrogen
fixing bacteria in the soil that are aerobic in nature. i.e. aztobacter. By
stimulating aerobic actions and increasing populations the amount of nitrogen
made available to the plant is increased.
Reductions as high as 80% of commercial fertilizers have been documented.
This is also partially responsible by the bacteria breaking down organic
matter in the
soil and making those nitrogen forms more readily available. We can also
effect soil temperature which helps to stimulate bacterial action in the
early spring. I recently had one of my growers explaining to the Minister of
Agriculture from Pakistan that on his farm he was able to take a 52 degree
soil and raise it to 65 degrees with in four hours time. I also have growers
that do not irrigate but they do
aerate, Anytime you water a soil, the pore space is removed and the plant
shuts down until gravity pulls the excess moisture downward creating a
vacuum. This vacuum then pulls in atmospheric air and the growth process is
renewed. By forced infusion of air the amount of down time on the plant is
reduced and the time to maturity is decreased over a season's period of time
or in some cases the season is extended.

6. Rodent damage is reduced. Why? I don't know for sure but there are a
couple of popular theories. The air escaping out the emitters create an
audible frequency that the rodents do not like. OR that air movement in the
soil is foreign to them and they leave. We see this occurring throughout the
vegetable truck farms where this has been sold.

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 1995 04:33:32 EDT
From: <ABUZREIG@net2.eos.uoguelph.ca>

I am also interested in the drip information
many thanks

Majed Abu-Zreig, Ph.D
School of Engineering
University of Guelph
Guelph, Ontario N1G 2W1
Canada

Date: Thu, 30 Nov 95 08:57:36 MST
From: flowers@Rt66.com (Wilderness Flowers)
Subject: Re: New member response

>The following is a survey response* from a new Trickle-L subscriber whose
>name was not left at the end of posting. This reminds me, if you post
>anything to Trickle-L (or me personally), please "sign" your name at the
>bottom. It makes responses to your posting more efficient. Thanks !!
>
>Richard Mead
>Trickle-L owner/manager

Richard re:this message on air /irrigation injection is there any way to
email contact the sender? I am on the organizing committe for this years NM
Organic Commodities annual meeting and would like to invite the sender to speak.
I'll contact the company through other means but if you have a contact # or
know of similar company please let me know.

Also could you recomend someone to speak on "organic" hydroponics at our
meeting?

>Martin Connaughton

Martin Connaughton
Wilderness Flowers
Rt.19 Box 111D
Santa Fe, NM 87505

"It could only be fresher if you grew it"

End of Digest

Prepared by Steve Modena, AB4EL.
Comments and suggestions to: modena@SunSITE.unc.edu